Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #31
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven69david View Post
I'm the opposite, I wish it never came to be. They could have picked something better than Avatar to model a world after. But I'm all for a new section of the park that will allow me to get more EE ride time with a lower waiting time.
Amen

I'm excited for FOTLK to be IN Africa - it only makes sense. Plus, the walking [hopefully] won't be as bad to see the show!

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:15 AM   #32
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
I wonder if everyone who rides Splash Mountain loves Song of the South?

I've never seen Avatar, but certainly look forward to visiting that section if/when its complete.
I don't know if I like the movie song of the south or not. It is a little campy. I liked it as a kid.

But, I love the story of the briar patch. That is a classic trickster tale.

But I get your point! You definitely don't have to be a big fan of a movie to enjoy a theme park land and subsequent rides. And vice versa, just because haunted mansion is incredible, it doesn't mean I would like the movie!!!
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
Bram D
DLP Addict

I've never understood the current location of the FOTLK theater in the first place. It never made any sense.

The Avatar addition would have an extra dimension if it was finished along with an Avatar sequel though. Seeing the first movie lose a little more hype each day since it's release.
Bram D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #34
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram D
I've never understood the current location of the FOTLK theater in the first place. It never made any sense.

The Avatar addition would have an extra dimension if it was finished along with an Avatar sequel though. Seeing the first movie lose a little more hype each day since it's release.
The lion king show was thrown in as filler due to construction/budget cutbacks at animal kingdom.

That is why there is nothing on that side of the park...that area was money Not spent.

And so here we are...
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
The lion king show was thrown in as filler due to construction/budget cutbacks at animal kingdom.

That is why there is nothing on that side of the park...that area was money Not spent.

And so here we are...
It was always fitting that the area was a dead end.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 AM   #36
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

I do agree that Harambe is a little congested, but aren't most markets in Africa? Hot, sweaty, lots of people....authentic!

Seriously it will be nice to have FotLK in Africa and maybe some more sidewalk area to disperse the crowds.
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #37
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram D View Post

I believe the original idea was that the land would open around the time of the 2 Avatar sequels being released. I'm not sure what the timing of those sequels or the land opening are looking like these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post

And so here we are...
So further expand......

The area clockwise between the Oasis (park entrance) and Africa was originally intended and prepped for the construction of the Beastly Kingdom section of Animal Kingdom (The reason for the Dragon on the AK logo, and the 'Unicorn' parking lot section). When the AK budget was cut, Beastly Kingdom was not built, leaving that section of land empty.

At some point, they realized that there was not anyplace in the park for Meet and Greets, so Camp MM was quickly and cheaply constructed on the plot cleared for the Beastly Kingdom (and in actuality... only about 1/2 of the prepared land space) in order to provide for the park's need for meet and greet locations, and to provide more space and things for guests to do. FotLK was hastily put together as another entertainment option for the guests utilizing existing parade floats no longer needed for parade duty and put into the area.

Camp MM was always intended as a temporary placeholder until they completed the Beastly Kingdom land a few years later once the money was available. Unfortunately, Beastly Kingdom was not to be, and like Disney's many other "temporary" structures (Mickey's BirthdayLand, The EPCOT Wand, the MGM BAH, etc), the Meet and Greets and FotLK remained in place for years.

As an aside... There is still at least 1 set piece that was built that showcased Beastly Kingdom's inteded location within the park. While it's much harder to see now because of the plant growth and elimination of the old River Cruises, It can still be seen if you know what you are looking at over the side of the bridge heading into Camp MM.

There is a small little rock outcropping with a little waterfall next to the bridge on the Camp MM side. The outcropping is in the shape of a dragon's head with the waterfall originating from it's mouth.

DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:57 PM   #38
WDWChloe
WDW Annual Passholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post

There is a small little rock outcropping with a little waterfall next to the bridge on the Camp MM side. The outcropping is in the shape of a dragon's head with the waterfall originating from it's mouth.
I never knew about this! Wow! R.I.P. Beastly Kingdomme <3

IG: @chloelovesdisney
WDWChloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:27 PM   #39
Rhongepooh
I must ponder this news

If I remember it correctly there was also a dinosaur in the water somewhere along that river that you could see when you took rhe boat ride. The first time I rode it I think there were 2 places you could get on...one around the front and another on the other side of the bridge in Africa the next time I rode you rode all the way around with no stopping. Also if memory severs me correctly their wasn't much to let you know it was indeed a ride around.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM   #40
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhongepooh View Post
If I remember it correctly there was also a dinosaur in the water somewhere along that river that you could see when you took rhe boat ride. The first time I rode it I think there were 2 places you could get on...one around the front and another on the other side of the bridge in Africa the next time I rode you rode all the way around with no stopping. Also if memory severs me correctly their wasn't much to let you know it was indeed a ride around.
I don't remember a dinosaur but there was dragon smoke (steam) coming from a cave near the first corner.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
PrettyFlower2
Mouseketeer

I think Avatar was a good movie. I think it had a positive message (especially for the kids) to not trash the planet and fits in perfectly with AK. I think it will be a visually beautiful addition to AK, even if you did not see or like the movie. Just wait and see.

Eating Vegetarian in WDW

Dana
PrettyFlower2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #42
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave

I don't remember a dinosaur but there was dragon smoke (steam) coming from a cave near the first corner.
There was both

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #43
Rumors Rocks
Mouseketeer

Update: Festival of the Lion King is schedule to close.

Festival of the Lion King is schedule to close on January 5th per wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_of_the_Lion_King

Quote:
On January 5, 2014, due to the construction of Avatar Land, Festival of the Lion King will move from its current location in Camp Minnie Mickey to a new theatre in the Africa section of the park.
http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_...al_kingdom.htm

Quote:
2014 - New Festival of the Lion King Show - Under Construction - (11/4/13) Screamscape sources tell us that the current cast of the Festival of the Lion King show has been informed that they are looking at closing the current show down as early as January 5th. They have no set date to reopen the new show, but it isnt expected to be ready to reopen in the new theater until at least Summer 2014.
Rumors Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #44
pbrim
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram D View Post
Originally there was supposed to be a deal for two sequels, and Avatar Land was to open around the time the final movie was released. OTOH, it's been 4 years and Avatar 2 is still in the "Treatment/Outline" stage, not even an approved script much less in production, so that doesn't look good. In the SF con circuit you see a bit of Avatar cosplay and maybe some tee shirts, but no Avatar panels, no Avatar fan groups, no talk about the next movie. Online, I'm not seeing any thriving Avatar fan sites, no forums, not even very much fanfic. And that's in the fan community. In the general population, I think it's pretty much over and done.

It was impressive, but doesn't appear to have much staying power. While in the end it depends on the quality of the ride, it helps creates excitement if there is a tie in to something popular. Avatar was impressive, but it doesn't seem to have the staying power of a lot other popular media. On the gripping hand, there is a signed contract out there to be dealt with even if Disney has lost enthusiasm for the project. Perhaps part of the delays is behind-the-scenes re-negociating.

If we are going to have a Sci-Fi land but not Avatar, can I put in my vote for Firefly? Or maybe Stargate?

Disney Land: 1961, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1969, Oct 1994; Oct 2014
Disney World: AKL Oct 2009, WL Nov 2011, POFQ May 2014
pbrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #45
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumors Rocks View Post
Festival of the Lion King is schedule to close on January 5th per wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Festival_of_the_Lion_King

http://www.screamscape.com/html/wdw_...al_kingdom.htm
I can confirm in that I went to make my FP+ selections this morning for Jan 10th, and it is listed as "Closed" for our trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: