Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1036
Williams mum
Earning My Ears

OK so now that I have had my rant about online check in, on to the lovely things.

I have never done a 7 night cruise before and I am wondering how formal the formal nights are? Specifically, am I going to have schlepp a tuxedo half way across Europe?? We are in France and Spain for a week first.
Williams mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #1037
EjeG
Nutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams mum View Post
OK so now that I have had my rant about online check in, on to the lovely things.

I have never done a 7 night cruise before and I am wondering how formal the formal nights are? Specifically, am I going to have schlepp a tuxedo half way across Europe?? We are in France and Spain for a week first.
This can be a hot topic, depending who you talk to. I seen everything from jeans and tee's to ball room gowns and tuxedo's worn. The idea with Formal and semi-formal is to have a night when people can dress up and go fancy. But it's more "optional" than anything else. Granted most people do at least put a bit more effort into the clothing those nights and many goes full out.

Personally unfortunately this time the Tux will be left at home, and I might or might get my suite with me, might just end up with dress pants, nice shirt, tie and a dress jacket. We are spending almost 3 weeks after our cruise over in Europe with rental car and domestic flights so have to watch packing space very carefully. Normally since we fly Southwest inside the US we often have a extra spare bag with us so can fit more than enough stuff and we bring Tuxedos and Suite for me, fancy gown/dresses for my DW and full pirates costumes for the kids and some light pirate attire for me and DW. But not this time, have to watch every little thing that goes in our suitcases so most things that are a "one off" use will probably have to stay behind.
EjeG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #1038
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams mum View Post

I have a gown but am unsure whether or not I will take it. May just stick with a nice dress and not worry too much about it. If I take my gown it means I will have to not gain weight on the cruise (I have already gained some), so will not be able to eat. lol

So a simple dress is looking more like my option for comfort and packing reasons.

Med 7 night navigators 2013:
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/kiki...d%20Navigators
Disney mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #1039
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

I have been sorting out the boys clothes for packing and I am wondering if shorts would be fine for non formal nights for them. I just don't want to over pack.
I have their clothes packed in a separate case for our couple of days in Barcelona pre-cruise (will put mine and DH in there too so I don't have to open different cases). But when I was placing tops with bottoms per day/evening I was looking at way too many clothes and thought I could just put them in clean shorts for dinner and let them wear them the next day. Does this plan sound okay?

Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #1040
tinkertaylor05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney mam View Post
I have been sorting out the boys clothes for packing and I am wondering if shorts would be fine for non formal nights for them. I just don't want to over pack.
I have their clothes packed in a separate case for our couple of days in Barcelona pre-cruise (will put mine and DH in there too so I don't have to open different cases). But when I was placing tops with bottoms per day/evening I was looking at way too many clothes and thought I could just put them in clean shorts for dinner and let them wear them the next day. Does this plan sound okay?
I think that is the sensible thing to do .... I know as usual I will bring way too much stuff I just can't help myself and then end up wearing pretty much the same 3 outfits Luckily we have plenty of luggage allowance!

WDW SSR/DCL EBTA May 2014, DCL Magic Med June 2013, Hotel New York September 2012, Disneyland Hotel December 2011, Hotel New York February 2011, Hotel New York June 2010
tinkertaylor05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 AM   #1041
Disney mam
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertaylor05 View Post
I think that is the sensible thing to do .... I know as usual I will bring way too much stuff I just can't help myself and then end up wearing pretty much the same 3 outfits Luckily we have plenty of luggage allowance!
Lots of luggage allowance means more temptation to run wild with the amount of clothes you pack. I have an allowance in mind and want to try and stick to it. To standard size cases and 1 small for Barcelona. Wish me luck!!!!

Old 04-25-2013, 02:40 AM   #1042
JustAnnieNotHazel
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkertaylor05 View Post

I do exactly the same! I may as well just take my usual few comfy outfits, but I always end up taking the what if outfits too! Lol
JustAnnieNotHazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #1043
megagarwal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnnieNotHazel

Thank you sooooooooo much for the heads up! We managed to secure a booking on the first sea day. We had been so disappointed that we missed out before!

That has made my day!!!

Doing the happy dance now!

Ok, as a first time cruiser I actually have no clue what it means when you say that brunch is online? Please help!
megagarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:14 AM   #1044
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by megagarwal View Post
Ok, as a first time cruiser I actually have no clue what it means when you say that brunch is online? Please help!
One needs to make reservations for brunch or dinner at Palo. Palo is the adult only restaurant that has a $20 per person upcharge. The brunch is only offered on sea days and tends to fill up quickly once folks' online booking periods open up. Concierge and platinum cruisers can start booking at 120 days out, gold at 105 days out and silver at 90 days out. New cruisers can't start until 75 days out. The previous poster was alerting us that more brunch slots had become available as they had previously been filled and were showing sold out.

If you want to eat there but there are no available slots online, on boarding day check your navigator and go to where you can make dining changes, they tend to hold back, I believe, some slots to be booked onboard.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #1045
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EjeG View Post
This can be a hot topic, depending who you talk to. I seen everything from jeans and tee's to ball room gowns and tuxedo's worn. The idea with Formal and semi-formal is to have a night when people can dress up and go fancy. But it's more "optional" than anything else. Granted most people do at least put a bit more effort into the clothing those nights and many goes full out.

Personally unfortunately this time the Tux will be left at home, and I might or might get my suite with me, might just end up with dress pants, nice shirt, tie and a dress jacket. We are spending almost 3 weeks after our cruise over in Europe with rental car and domestic flights so have to watch packing space very carefully. Normally since we fly Southwest inside the US we often have a extra spare bag with us so can fit more than enough stuff and we bring Tuxedos and Suite for me, fancy gown/dresses for my DW and full pirates costumes for the kids and some light pirate attire for me and DW. But not this time, have to watch every little thing that goes in our suitcases so most things that are a "one off" use will probably have to stay behind.
I think this is going to be true of a lot of us. We are not bringing formal wear and will just have to endure the "HORROR" of the "dress police" LOL!

We are just going to go with black and dress it up with fancy scarves and sparkly costume jewelry
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #1046
Kirbo
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
I think this is going to be true of a lot of us. We are not bringing formal wear and will just have to endure the "HORROR" of the "dress police" LOL!

We are just going to go with black and dress it up with fancy scarves and sparkly costume jewelry
I'll look at you and wink in solidarity.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #1047
megagarwal
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbo View Post
One needs to make reservations for brunch or dinner at Palo. Palo is the adult only restaurant that has a $20 per person upcharge. The brunch is only offered on sea days and tends to fill up quickly once folks' online booking periods open up. Concierge and platinum cruisers can start booking at 120 days out, gold at 105 days out and silver at 90 days out. New cruisers can't start until 75 days out. The previous poster was alerting us that more brunch slots had become available as they had previously been filled and were showing sold out.

If you want to eat there but there are no available slots online, on boarding day check your navigator and go to where you can make dining changes, they tend to hold back, I believe, some slots to be booked onboard.
Thanks for the info. Just a quick follow up, does anyone have an idea about the vegetarian options available on-board? Me and my family are all vegetarians
megagarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #1048
Hashim
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Just a quick follow up, does anyone have an idea about the vegetarian options available on-board? Me and my family are all vegetarians
Based on my previous first experience with Disney Cruise:
Never worry about food on the ship. You don't even need to specify that you are vegetarian on the "special requests" section. The dinner menu always has options for vegetarian.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #1049
JMTwo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I was on the Magic in January of this year for the Western Caribbean and I enjoyed many of the vegetarian options. I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat beef or seafood and just don't enjoy eating a lot of meat, including chicken. My only issue with some of the vegetarian choices were they had lots of mushrooms and those aren't a favorite of mine either. Wow, looking at this, what do I eat??? Oh, yeah, CHOCOLATE
JMTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1050
milliesmum
Mouseketeer

Quote:
The last cruise I went on with my sister who is a strict vegetarian she seemed to find enough choice with the main course but was a little restricted when it came to deserts as most of them seemed to contain gelatin. I think she either had cheesecake or went without a dessert.
This cruise I have checked the special request box for her - I don't know if it will make any difference
milliesmum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: