Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #211
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

Just wanna say I Loved, loved, loved this most recent update!!!

AND you take your spinning very seriously I see!! (the look on your face is adorable!).

Patrick looks awesome as per his usual......

Keep it coming!! Good stuff, good stuff...
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #212
Mel*Pie
Mouseketeer

Carrie, that dress! THAT DRESS!! That print and those colors are stunning. You couldn't have found a more spectacular and venue appropriate dress if you hunted for it for months. I totally couldn't wear a dress like that without spinning, haha. You look breathtaking in it. And Patrick is very handsomely coordinated as usual. But not too matchy-matchy. I hate matchy-matchy.

Oh, and I love your crocs! I have several pairs of crocs-that-don't-look-like-crocs. I have a couple of pairs in that "translucents" line in that same aqua/celery color combo, but in the sandals model. So cute and comfy!

The cake is gorgeous. I'm sorry it didn't taste as good as it looked.

THAT DRESS!
Mel*Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM   #213
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous! Absolutely worth the wet feet and scrabbling over lava rocks in your finery. Just gorgeous.

And that's just the vow renewal shots. Love the Island on a Dress complete with purple shirt and what a sport Patrick is. I can't ever every imagine Jeff being that patient for photos once, definitely not twice. He'd take that purple shirt in a heartbeat though.

Bummer that the french toast was so dry and the cake so...inedible. Amazing replication (and truly lovely china as well).
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #214
AGPrincess
Princess at heart

LOVE all the photos. What a gorgeous setting! That colorful dress was too perfect and the shoes as well! I have those same croc flats, so pretty! What a bummer that the cake didn't taste as lovely as it looked. And that french toast sounds amazing, a pity the real thing didn't measure up.

Can't wait for more!
AGPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #215
disneychic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post

Glad you're enjoying the report!

Oh crap, don't tell Patrick there's such a thing as a degree in Space Science or he'll give up puppetry and head back to school! An ocean-view villa at Aulani sounds like the perfect way to celebrate your achievement!
Aw shucks! I love talking about space with fellow space nuts! BTW, not only am I still enjoying this TR but I had to divert back to your Japan trip because we just found out yesterday that we are going to Tokyo for my husbands job at the end of August for 13 days. I stayed up until 3 a.m. Taking notes.....& then telling my husband way too much about your trip at 6 a.m. this morning! Any tips (other than the 4 pages I wrote down) would be greatly appreciated.....especially since it was late, I was tired and I can barely read my own handwriting!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
disneychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #216
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningAriel View Post
How in the Wide World of Disney did I miss this report?!?!?! Whelp, let me settle in and catch up. (P.S. My fiance was reading over my shoulder so I showed him your wedding album. Needless to say he turned white and left the room)
Well, I'm glad you found me, at any rate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Bradbury View Post

Did you do you own hair, or did the makeup chick do it? I think I may have missed that. If you did it yourself, and haven't described how you did it, please do so. It's lovely!
The makeup chick did my hair, too! It was interesting how she did it—usually they take out the natural wave with rollers first and then smooth out and twist it into place, but she just used a curling iron "on top" of the natural wave and pinned the twists. The curls had more texture that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
The photography is terrific. Your friends really went above and beyond.

However, my favorite is the T-Rex photo bomb. Because:
That guy... what an attention hog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Gorgeous pictures and love the vintage dress! Too bad the cake didn't taste as amazing as it looked.

Jill in CO
Yeah, I guess I've been spoiled by WDW's cakes—I know out in the real world, wedding cakes frequently don't taste as good as they look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei528 View Post
Just wanna say I Loved, loved, loved this most recent update!!!

AND you take your spinning very seriously I see!! (the look on your face is adorable!).

Patrick looks awesome as per his usual......

Keep it coming!! Good stuff, good stuff...
Yeah, somehow I never outgrew my love of spinning til I'm dizzy... Now I just have farther to fall!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel*Pie View Post
Carrie, that dress! THAT DRESS!! That print and those colors are stunning. You couldn't have found a more spectacular and venue appropriate dress if you hunted for it for months. I totally couldn't wear a dress like that without spinning, haha. You look breathtaking in it. And Patrick is very handsomely coordinated as usual. But not too matchy-matchy. I hate matchy-matchy.

Oh, and I love your crocs! I have several pairs of crocs-that-don't-look-like-crocs. I have a couple of pairs in that "translucents" line in that same aqua/celery color combo, but in the sandals model. So cute and comfy!

The cake is gorgeous. I'm sorry it didn't taste as good as it looked.

THAT DRESS!
It IS a pretty awesome dress... I briefly considered wearing it as my vow renewal outfit, but I couldn't shake this idea that my wedding guide readers would want to see wedding-looking people in photos of the locations at Aulani. I'm glad you like the Crocs! I was self conscious about wearing something so utilitarian with that dress, but, dang it, I needed to be comfortable and ready to go into the sand/water/lava rock at a moment's notice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Gorgeous Gorgeous Gorgeous! Absolutely worth the wet feet and scrabbling over lava rocks in your finery. Just gorgeous.

And that's just the vow renewal shots. Love the Island on a Dress complete with purple shirt and what a sport Patrick is. I can't ever every imagine Jeff being that patient for photos once, definitely not twice. He'd take that purple shirt in a heartbeat though.
I adore that shirt! It's a brand I wasn't familiar with til I started shopping the flash sale sites, Robert Graham, but now I love all their flashy patterns and contrasting collars and cuffs. They seem to run a bit large, though, so we had that one tailored. (And Patrick was so enthused about the fit that now he gets practically everything tailored—my little fashionista!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGPrincess View Post
LOVE all the photos. What a gorgeous setting! That colorful dress was too perfect and the shoes as well! I have those same croc flats, so pretty! What a bummer that the cake didn't taste as lovely as it looked. And that french toast sounds amazing, a pity the real thing didn't measure up.

Can't wait for more!
I'm wondering if maybe that French toast is better when you order it the way the chef intended—I'll bet the bananas keep it moist (but, GAH! Bananas! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic View Post
Aw shucks! I love talking about space with fellow space nuts! BTW, not only am I still enjoying this TR but I had to divert back to your Japan trip because we just found out yesterday that we are going to Tokyo for my husbands job at the end of August for 13 days. I stayed up until 3 a.m. Taking notes.....& then telling my husband way too much about your trip at 6 a.m. this morning! Any tips (other than the 4 pages I wrote down) would be greatly appreciated.....especially since it was late, I was tired and I can barely read my own handwriting!
That is AWESOME! You are gonna have so much fun! I think my best tips are in that first post about getting around, money, language, etc. and then sprinkled throughout. I feel like I need to go back so I can update my tips if necessary—not sure how much changed after the tsunami. I definitely recommend doing Pimsleur audio language lessons, and getting an ATM card and a credit card that won't charge you international transaction fees. Also, if you're at all a fan of kawaii Japanese stuff, bring an extra suitcase and plenty of dough!
lurkyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #217
Mel*Pie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
It IS a pretty awesome dress... I briefly considered wearing it as my vow renewal outfit, but I couldn't shake this idea that my wedding guide readers would want to see wedding-looking people in photos of the locations at Aulani. I'm glad you like the Crocs! I was self conscious about wearing something so utilitarian with that dress, but, dang it, I needed to be comfortable and ready to go into the sand/water/lava rock at a moment's notice!
I hope you have a zillion other excuses to wear that beautiful dress. Heck, marry the dress then renew your vows to the dress itself! No, that's not crazy at all...

Quote:
That is AWESOME! You are gonna have so much fun! I think my best tips are in that first post about getting around, money, language, etc. and then sprinkled throughout. I feel like I need to go back so I can update my tips if necessary—not sure how much changed after the tsunami. I definitely recommend doing Pimsleur audio language lessons, and getting an ATM card and a credit card that won't charge you international transaction fees. Also, if you're at all a fan of kawaii Japanese stuff, bring an extra suitcase and plenty of dough!
I second the bit about the extra suitcase and plenty of dough! After three months there, I ended up having to ship stuff home. disneychic, you're going to have an amazing time! I first discovered Carrie's blog when I was researching my trip to Tokyo last year. I was there for 3 months last Spring and the tips in her report were so helpful and spot on. If I may suggest though that since you are going in August it will be VERY hot and humid. Similar to Florida weather around the same time. And the AC in places isn't very cold. I think it might be a cutback from the tsunami. I would say pack clothing that is both cool/comfortable and dressy enough for a nice dinner or something. And of course, very comfy shoes (hooray for Crocs that look like ballerina flats!) I miss Tokyo so much! I hope you love it! My apologies for being and for giving unsolicited advice!
Mel*Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #218
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
However, my favorite is the T-Rex photo bomb. Because:
That picture is pretty awesome. I have to agree I got a chuckle out of that.

Dress - amazing. I don't know how you found that but it is absolutely perfect for you.

Brunch - what a beautiful restaurant.

Cake - looks amazing. Such a shame that something so pretty could taste like kitchen cleaning materials. What a shame.

Pictures - what can I say. The Roots have outdone themselves again. I think its so wonderful that the four of you were able to share such a special occasion and its wonderful that your photo document these occasions with such gorgeous pictures. There is no doubt that you will be thrilled to have these pictures for years and years to come.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #219
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

Wonderful photos. I think it was funny (not haa haa, interesting) how they kicked you out of that area. Did you have to carry your "papers" with you??!?!?! (little Soviet style humor)

I am a good Catholic girl and I know that I shouldn't be....but I am soooooo jealous!! Love your renewal and I am going to really have to save up to even remotely do a photo shoot like yours in 5 years.

che
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #220
lurkyloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel*Pie View Post
I hope you have a zillion other excuses to wear that beautiful dress. Heck, marry the dress then renew your vows to the dress itself! No, that's not crazy at all...
I love it! And thanks for adding your tips about Tokyo. That's interesting about the AC cutbacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post

Pictures - what can I say. The Roots have outdone themselves again. I think its so wonderful that the four of you were able to share such a special occasion and its wonderful that your photo document these occasions with such gorgeous pictures. There is no doubt that you will be thrilled to have these pictures for years and years to come.
Definitely! We are so fortunate to have met them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chepic View Post

Wonderful photos. I think it was funny (not haa haa, interesting) how they kicked you out of that area. Did you have to carry your "papers" with you??!?!?! (little Soviet style humor)
I know, right? I wonder if they would have accepted anything less than Mickey Mouse standing there telling them we were legit....
Old 04-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #221
librarygeek
DIS Veteran

Your vow renewal pics are gorgeous!! You look amazing, you have such a timeless beauty. I'm sorry that your officiant messed up the ceremony, that's really disappointing and unacceptable.

Your second dress looks great too! I agree, a perfect Hawaii dress! The cake came out amazing and even looks like it matches that dress a little. Too bad the inside didn't live up to the outside!
librarygeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #222
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

How did I miss 2 updates? I'm all caught up now. Your part 2 shots turned out amazing of course. I love the lava shots - don't think I would have thought about that rustic backdrop, but the contrast is great Guess that's why I'm not a photographer or designer.

I can't believe they chased you out of your photo shoot. I think the planner should send out a memo to let the staff know when someone has an event and pays $$$ to do it - your access to photo spots should be a given.

The setting for your brunch looked great and you had great company, so that made it more special. I can't say the food looks that amazing - funny about the Loco Moco being $17 - or not.

The cake turned out incredible - I can't believe they couldn't have done better on the flavor, but I'm glad it looked so good!

Loved the brunch dress - those colors are perfect! I was also happy to see your croc flats - I was just shopping for some last night for our upcoming trip - the days I wear crocs o the parks are the only days my feet and legs don't hurt at the end of the day, but the old ones are just no stylish anymore. Now I'm sold on the style you chose.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #223
lurkyloo

Spa Day at Laniwai!

After brunch, Patrick and I went back to the room to change into our swimmies (is this a word? The later it is, the more garbled my journal entries get...) so we could try out the pool until it was time for our spa treatments.

Just checking—is the view still crappy? Yep. Still crappy...

(Side note: As I was writing this installment, something I Googled brought up a long post on an independent timeshare owners' message board devoted to this very room at Aulani and how crappy the view was! Everyone was advising the guy to try to get compensated for having to stay in the now-infamous Room 457...)

I found a message on my phone from Rev. Kimo apologizing for the mixup with the ceremony, which was nice.

We didn’t have too much time at the pool, but that was OK cuz we were planning to spend the whole day there Tuesday. We floated down the entire lazy river, swam in the main pool, and sat in the very Jacuzzi where we’d just renewed our vows. It looked totally different, kinda the way Epcot’s Morocco Pavilion has never ever felt the same to me as it did on our wedding day.

This is the Pau Hana Room, Aulani’s version of the Community Hall found at many Disney Vacation Club resorts. If you get bored with swimming, sunbathing, snorkeling, spa-going, boating, or exploring the rest of Oahu’s natural wonders and fascinating history, you can go here to play board games, do crafts and learn to hula.

Or, if you’re like me and you think that “free laundry” should get its own page in the activities section of the resort brochure, you can while away a few hours down here!

I think Aulani wins “Nicest Laundry Room View”

Patrick wanted to go up to the top floor to take some overview shots of the resort.

Zoooooooooooooom!

In case you’re curious how far along construction was on Feb. 4, 2013...

Rainbow Reef snorkeling pool

Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #224
lurkyloo

The water slides are hidden in this peak

Off to the spa!

Laniwai Spa is located in the Waianae Tower, on the other side of the lobby from our room in the Ewa Tower, but there doesn’t seem to be any interior way to get there from the lobby—you have to go outside through the pool area. I know this because I criss-crossed the resort in my cozy Laniwai bathrobe so I could fetch our camera to sneak pics of the spa for you. Trying to get there via halls to and through the lobby proved impossible—at one point I had to climb over the “Restricted Access” gate in a fire stairwell that I remembered from my visit to our wedding planner’s office in the bowels of the resort!

Hmmm... do my two lousy photos of the check-in desk make one good photo?

There are the robes. I was smitten! They’re super-soft microfiber on the outside and even softer terrycloth on the inside. Just wish the colors were a little more interesting...

This is what the sales area looks like if you’re a bored-out-of-his-mind 6-year-old slumped over in protest on the couch.

I filled out our pre-treatment waivers while Patrick fell in love with this rock wall...

After you check in, someone meets you in the lobby and explains Laniwai’s deal before leading you back to the dressing rooms. They do this thing where you pick out a smooth stone from a basket, and whatever Hawaiian word is on your stone is the quality you will focus on while you’re there. Then you chuck the stone into a pool halfway between the lobby and the changing rooms.

This is what the hall looks like when you trip over your bathrobe sash
Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #225
lurkyloo

The stone-chucking pool

Patrick: “Where’s all the change?”

Hang a left and you have your entrances to the men’s and women’s locker rooms on either side of this hall. The glass is the other side of the waiting area where you can relax before and after your treatments.

Through here is the Kula Wai hydrotherapy garden.

It cracks me up when Disney tries to jump on a trend but doesn’t quite hit the mark. Macarons... on muffins???

The ladies’ locker room was empty, so I grabbed these shots.

Laniwai Spa tells you to check in for your spa treatments at least an hour early so you’ll have time to hang out in the hydrotherapy garden. The locker rooms open directly into the garden for those who don’t need to get their macaron-muffin fix on the way there. The first thing you see when you leave the women’s locker room is the Pulu Bar, an aromatherapy mixing station where you can try out the spa’s signature scents and have an attendant mix you a custom body polish for your treatment.

“Pulu Bar, eh? I’ll take a Shirley Temple!”

The garden has a couple of different kinds of pools to soak in. This one must be for hydrophobes...

A word of warning about these: The bottom of the pool is lower than ground level, so if you step into it expecting your front foot to land at the same level as your other foot, you will pitch face-first into the shallow water and instantly be swarmed by concerned cast members armed with splints and wheelchairs and copies of your signature on the admission waiver while you slowly die of embarrassment. Not that I would know...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: