Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #91
Mick@Tink
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDVC View Post
Not too personal...

DVC 2670 points
--OKW, BCV, VWL, SSR, AKL, BLT, HHI and Aulani
--We rent my sister- in-laws points at BWV
Marriott Barony Beach - Hilton Head Island
HGVC - Seawatch on the Beach at Ft Myers Beach Fl
Hyatt - Coconut Plantation at Bonita Springs Fl
Club Intrawest
--Blue Mountain Canada
--Sandestin FL
--Zihuatanejo, MX - my daughter's favorite - authentic old Mexico
Waterside - Hilton Head Island SC
Bluewater Resort and Marina - HHI
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club
--Los Cabos MX
--Cancun MX
Wyndham
-- Majestic Sun at Destin FL and
--Wyndham Club Access points - 43 home base resorts

IMO - Fiesta Americana Vacation Club is the best. The service and grounds are incredible!!! - that is if you like a beach resort. The room gets serviced twice a day. My wife is in heaven!! Food is great!! Plus you have great exchange possibilities with HGVC
Thanks so much for providing this information. What an awesome list of timeshares! Impressive...extremely impressive!!!
Mick@Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #92
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran

Good for you! Timing is everything! I hope to buy some more timeshares if and when the price is right. We can't retire for at least 10 years so we have time to do research and wait the right ones! Or we could just move to Orlando and work for Disney.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #93
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been going to the Back Porch for about 25 years. Fantastic location (right on the beach) and great food. Especially the Florida sunshine cake.
We love Back Porch, we stay on 30A now and love Nick's, Angelina's, Great Southern and Summer Kitchen as our must always visit.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #94
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

OP - Update Apr 2013

Now that I found my own post I'll try to keep it updated.

First off how we prepared.

Pay off everything!! Save twice as much as you think you need.

We purchased most of our timeshares off of the resale market except for DVC. As we collected the timeshares, I rented out a lot of the weeks because we were still working.

I bought a F-150 and put a cap on top and we can bring about 20 suitcases with us. I also put a rails on top of the cap and put a cargo box on top. That contains all of our beach stuff - chairs, umbrellas, toys, towels, snorkel equipment, etc. We bought new bikes and have a bike rack on the back of the truck

We cut down to only three credit cards and do all banking and credit cards online. All notices, statements are emailed.

All purchases that I can control I end in 00 cents - restaurants gas, etc. I check the credit cards online at least once a week. Anything not ending in 00 I double check.

We both have Kindles and enjoy reading.

I bought a new laptop and everything is on the computer and backup online.

All reservations are filed in Outlook(email) by month. So any month I can look up the reservations for flight, lodging, rental car, restaurant reservation by date.

My adult children and sister in law have a complete schedule. On every new arrival they get a text
AA
SSR
for example - Arrived Alive - Saratoga Springs Resort

We keep in touch with the kids, family via text, phone calls, emails and post cards from the road. The extended family get tired of getting pictures from the beach when they are working

We see the kids (23 and 25) about every two months or so, probably a lot less for my son now that he is in the USAF. Mother-in-law joins us for 2 weeks twice a year, friends about 3-4 times a year. They (friends) love getting an invite to the beach or joining us on a cruise.

We got a commercial mailbox at Pompano Beach FL that forwards mail to us. They scan and email the outside of the envelope and wait for instructions - forward to my current location, open, scan and email a copy or shredded. It has worked very well!

What we miss - NOTHING but my dog - I gave him to a good home when we left Ohio.

What we worry about - quoting a country song - if the tide is going to reach my chair.

What surprised me - the price of food in grocery stores now that we are not shopping on an Air Force base.

What I would change - nothing major - maybe more points in one timeshare versus another.

What we gained - the best relationship ever with my wife of 35 years.

What I feel like - a 16 year of child on the first day of summer break with a new bike and I just found $200 and got a crush on a girl.

In two days we head to Disneyland for 10 days and then 5 1/2 weeks in Hawaii including 3 weeks at Aulani. I'll update more at the 1 years anniversary
OhioDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #95
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

This sounds so great!!

Wait! Are you not coming back to post progress...for a year??

We'll go nuts thinking about you.

I just we'll just assume blue skies, warm sand between your toes, water lapping on the shore, no worries, and the occassional mouse site-ing.

Seriously...we would appreciate the occassional posting every 3 or 4 months.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #96
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not too personal...

DVC 2670 points
--OKW, BCV, VWL, SSR, AKL, BLT, HHI and Aulani
--We rent my sister- in-laws points at BWV
Marriott Barony Beach - Hilton Head Island
HGVC - Seawatch on the Beach at Ft Myers Beach Fl
Hyatt - Coconut Plantation at Bonita Springs Fl
Club Intrawest
--Blue Mountain Canada
--Sandestin FL
--Zihuatanejo, MX - my daughter's favorite - authentic old Mexico
Waterside - Hilton Head Island SC
Bluewater Resort and Marina - HHI
Fiesta Americana Vacation Club
--Los Cabos MX
--Cancun MX
Wyndham
-- Majestic Sun at Destin FL and
--Wyndham Club Access points - 43 home base resorts

IMO - Fiesta Americana Vacation Club is the best. The service and grounds are incredible!!! - that is if you like a beach resort. The room gets serviced twice a day. My wife is in heaven!! Food is great!! Plus you have great exchange possibilities with HGVC
Sounds wonderful! I have 2 more questions

(1) About your exit strategy--that was my biggest fear buying into Wyndham, that it won't be easy to walk away. I bought into a low (for now) MF resort that might be easier to get rid of than some others. Are there legitimate/reputable charities that will actually take TS? I had always that the hardest part was getting rid of a TS that wasn't DVC, Hyatt, HGVC or Westin.

(2) Fiesta Americana--just curious to know whether you have to pay an AI fee every time you exchange in. I've seen this resort in Cancun, but have never stayed there.

Thanks!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #97
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What I feel like - a 16 year of child on the first day of summer break with a new bike and I just found $200 and got a crush on a girl.

Quote:
In two days we head to Disneyland for 10 days and then 5 1/2 weeks in Hawaii including 3 weeks at Aulani. I'll update more at the 1 years anniversary
Have fun!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #98
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey'sApprentice View Post
This sounds so great!!

Wait! Are you not coming back to post progress...for a year??

We'll go nuts thinking about you.

I just we'll just assume blue skies, warm sand between your toes, water lapping on the shore, no worries, and the occassional mouse site-ing.

Seriously...we would appreciate the occassional posting every 3 or 4 months.
Trip report on 1 year anniversary - End of May 2013
Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #99
OhioDVC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Sounds wonderful! I have 2 more questions

(1) About your exit strategy--that was my biggest fear buying into Wyndham, that it won't be easy to walk away. I bought into a low (for now) MF resort that might be easier to get rid of than some others. Are there legitimate/reputable charities that will actually take TS? I had always that the hardest part was getting rid of a TS that wasn't DVC, Hyatt, HGVC or Westin.

(2) Fiesta Americana--just curious to know whether you have to pay an AI fee every time you exchange in. I've seen this resort in Cancun, but have never stayed there.

Thanks!
Exit strategy is to borrow from one year out and then sell the timeshares stripped for $1 or charitable donation. I bought most of the timeshares for $1 to $100 so there is no problem walking away - except for DVC, Fiesta Americana and Club Intrawest - my brother wants to buy Club Intrawest when I am done

Fiesta Americana charges $49 dollars to exchange. Their Cancun timeshare is just OK, but the Los Cabo property is 5 star!!

Last edited by OhioDVC; 04-24-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #100
anna08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Beautiful!!
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #101
Iggipolka

DIS Veteran

This is too awesome. I'm highly impressed by your planning and thrilled that it's working out so well for you. Congrats! You and your wife are living the dream.

DVC owners at AKV, VGC & Aulani
Iggipolka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #102
DenLo
DIS Veteran

OhioDVC recapped the year on another thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3121140 "One year living in our timeshares: How does DVC stack up?"

DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #103
MagicKisses2
Mouseketeer

All I can say is WOW! What an amazing time. I wish you and your wife all the best, knowing that you are spending this time together growing your relationship when so many people mentally check out and live life on remote control. It's wonderful. Blessing to both of you.

Enjoy every moment (well, I think you already are!)

You will never be that person who one day says, I wish I had done more...

My hubby is running the TOT 10 Miler too, we will be in WDW Oct 3 - Oct 8. Good luck at the race!

POR & AOA Jan '15 - Did he really sign up for the Goofy Challenge?! ASMo Oct '13 - ToT 10 miler CBR Jan '12 - Official 5th trip and second half marathon! POP Jan '10 - Wayne's first Disney Half Marathon CSR Jan '08 - winter get-a-way POFQ Dec '06 - 1st anniversary AKL Nov '05 - honeymoon
MagicKisses2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: