Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #706
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on til morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshswif View Post
I'm so looking forward to going to Ohana in October! Our ADR is for 6:25...but I'm guessing we need to get there at 6 now!
I think that's the time our ADR was...yes, DEFINITELY come at six, then hop over to your ADR. It really adds to the whole Poly experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3prettyprincesses View Post
Found your TR, I read your previous one where you were all sick! This one seems to be puke-less, which must have been nice for you.

Love the Poly update! And looooove the shirts! Oh Magnum PI was THE show in the 80's. I wasn't technically allowed to watch it since it was considered an adult show (boo!) but I clearly remember thinking him to be quite scrumptious. So much so that when he guest appeared on several Friends episodes, I swooned.

Your girlies are so cute and your little guy absolutely adorable! How awesome you were able to catch the torch lighting. We did that a couple of trips ago and I was in constant fear that dude was going to light his ahem, unmentionables, on fire!

Ohana is a must do for us every trip. Good stuff!

Don't you just the Poly beach for Wishes? I think it's the best place to watch them. Talk about magical! Sometimes that slow, play-in-the-sand and watch fireworks moments are the best.
Hey, you!!! Glad to see you again! And yes, this TR is sickness-free!
Oh, Tom. He has been wonderful in everything he's ever done. SWOON!
Yeah, those unmentionables kind of distracted me, but for all the wrong reasons. I kept wondering what he was wearing under there and if that torch was getting a bit too close. Made me nervous!
We loved the Poly and will definitely be back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starann View Post
Tap, Tap, Tap....still waiting!!!! Cause, you know, you don't have 3 kids, and therapy and so on!! LOL!
YEAH, YEAH! I'm sorry about that. I have half of it typed and sitting on my computer waiting for that elusive free time! I swear I'll get to it this weekend. Honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNani View Post
So, being the newbie that I am, I just ran across your TR. OMG! This is the best TR I've read since I've been here! You are a really great writer, not to mention an amazing mom! I feel like I know your family!

Now, for a question..... This TR isn't finished is it? I keep waiting for you to tell us about your time at the Poly. I've always wanted to stay there, and the details you write about will put me right there!
THANK YOU SO MUCH !
No, this is nowhere near finished! I still have three and a half days left. I'm going to be starting a PTR for my next trip soon, but they'll both be going on at the same time. So happy you're along for the journey!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Instagram: disneyjenn1
Fantasyland Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #707
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

I am so loving your TR. We will be staying at the Poly for the first time in the Fall and after reading your recent update I think our first day will be lunch at Cap't Cooks, then like you did See the Torch Lighting Ceremony before dinner at 'Ohana and watch the Fireworks/EWP from the Beach

Can not wait to read more

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #708
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I am so loving your TR. We will be staying at the Poly for the first time in the Fall and after reading your recent update I think our first day will be lunch at Cap't Cooks, then like you did See the Torch Lighting Ceremony before dinner at 'Ohana and watch the Fireworks/EWP from the Beach

Can not wait to read more
That sounds like a great plan!! Make sure to get the little newsletter-type thing they have at the front desk when you check in. It lists times for several different events they have there during the week, and there is just so much to do! You'll see what I mean when I do my Poly updates the next few days. You could easily vacation JUST at the Poly, I think!!

***What Means "Ay, Caramba?"--Famous for Family of the Day, a Sept TR--IN PROGRESS!!

Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-YouTube & Mobile Device-Friendly Disney World Family Vacation Video 2012-Vimeo Version
Old 04-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #709
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

PTR TIME, guys!!!!!

You asked for it (okay, SOME of you asked for it!), you got it!

The PTR for our September trip is located HERE:
Well, Ain't That Fancy Schmancy! A Sept. '13 PTR.

Please come join in and read so I feel like it's worth it!! See you there!

Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 PM   #710
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Following along. I just got to the part where you mention your dislike of Julia's teacher. I had a similar experience with my DS's teacher in 1st grade. We got him moved during the Christmas break but the damage that woman did can never be undone.

Hopefully I will have time to completely catch up by tomorrow.
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #711
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
Following along. I just got to the part where you mention your dislike of Julia's teacher. I had a similar experience with my DS's teacher in 1st grade. We got him moved during the Christmas break but the damage that woman did can never be undone.

Hopefully I will have time to completely catch up by tomorrow.
I just noticed that not only are you in my state, but you're in my CITY!!
Hmmmm...that doesn't say good things for Cherokee County teachers! Wonder if it was the same lady??
And I agree that the damage cannot be undone. She triggered the trichotillomania, and now Julia dreads going to school, when she used to love it! She is literally counting down the days until she's out of this lady's class, and she said that she'll try second grade, but if the teacher is anything like this one she is homeschooling. I told her that was definitely an option. We can't go through this again!

Old 04-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #712
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasyland Mom View Post

I just noticed that not only are you in my state, but you're in my CITY!!
Hmmmm...that doesn't say good things for Cherokee County teachers! Wonder if it was the same lady??
And I agree that the damage cannot be undone. She triggered the trichotillomania, and now Julia dreads going to school, when she used to love it! She is literally counting down the days until she's out of this lady's class, and she said that she'll try second grade, but if the teacher is anything like this one she is homeschooling. I told her that was definitely an option. We can't go through this again!

Oh man! Reading this breaks my heart. I remember how you had to compromise into having Julia only miss half a day of school to go to Disney because she didn't want to miss instructional time, and now she doesn't want to go to school anymore? In less than a year? That's so sad!
ronnmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #713
evabraniff
Mouseketeer

So we are leaving for our 2nd annual trip on Tuesday and my husband and I both have been reading this TR like a bible, and saying "oh I didn't even know about this" many times. So glad to have come across this post! :-) cannot wait to read more!

May 2012 : Coronado Springs
May 2013 : Caribbean Beach Resort
evabraniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:58 AM   #714
lsenquiz
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wonder if it was the same lady??

I thought the same thing at first and then remembered that the teacher my Gabriel had moved up to second grade this year. Believe me I had a minute of panic when that happened thinking he might get her again. I spoke to the principle about it and they assured me that would never happen. We actually get input into what teacher he gets each year now. The one he got for second grade is perfect for him. He is also on an IEP and we LOVE his resource teacher.

I will also say that I have a DS25 and a DD21 that both went through the cherokee county school system from k-12 and we never had a bit of problem. My DS was on an IEP the entire time and I always loved the teachers he got. My DD was not on an IEP but we never had a single problem with any of her teachers.

It makes me sad that during a time when it has become difficult for a teacher to find a job they continue to keep people who have no business being teachers around.

I sent you a PM with the name of our school just in case we are in the same one
lsenquiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 AM   #715
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnmel View Post
Oh man! Reading this breaks my heart. I remember how you had to compromise into having Julia only miss half a day of school to go to Disney because she didn't want to miss instructional time, and now she doesn't want to go to school anymore? In less than a year? That's so sad!
I know. I know. That's how you know it's REALLY bad. It breaks my heart. I'm hoping she'll get a wonderful teacher next year who will turn it all around. Right now, she's living for that one day a week she gets to go to gifted class instead of regular class, and that's pitiful. Eighteen more school days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by evabraniff View Post
So we are leaving for our 2nd annual trip on Tuesday and my husband and I both have been reading this TR like a bible, and saying "oh I didn't even know about this" many times. So glad to have come across this post! :-) cannot wait to read more!
Oh my gosh! What a compliment! I'm glad that my random musings actually gave you some information !

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsenquiz View Post
I thought the same thing at first and then remembered that the teacher my Gabriel had moved up to second grade this year. Believe me I had a minute of panic when that happened thinking he might get her again. I spoke to the principle about it and they assured me that would never happen. We actually get input into what teacher he gets each year now. The one he got for second grade is perfect for him. He is also on an IEP and we LOVE his resource teacher.

I will also say that I have a DS25 and a DD21 that both went through the cherokee county school system from k-12 and we never had a bit of problem. My DS was on an IEP the entire time and I always loved the teachers he got. My DD was not on an IEP but we never had a single problem with any of her teachers.

It makes me sad that during a time when it has become difficult for a teacher to find a job they continue to keep people who have no business being teachers around.

I sent you a PM with the name of our school just in case we are in the same one
We actually moved here from another county north of here where I used to teach especially FOR the good schools! So this was a definite shock to me. I sent you a PM about the situation, but I think I failed to include that it was Julia's decision not to move out of the classroom. When she got there, she didn't know a soul. She was the only one from her kindergarten class to be in there (how does that even happen!?!). It took her a long time to make friends, and once she finally had one (yes, ONE), she was terrified about starting that whole process over again. The whole situation is just heartbreaking, but I guess you know that.
I think you're right about how sad that is. What is even more sad is that once first-year teachers actually do get a job, they tend to quit within five years. I know I did. Retention for new teachers in the US is horrible, and I think that makes it easier for those who are just there for the paycheck to stay put.
I could really go on and on about this, but I'll stop.
I'm just glad everything has worked out well for you this year; it gives me hope!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #716
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I know. I know. That's how you know it's REALLY bad. It breaks my heart. I'm hoping she'll get a wonderful teacher next year who will turn it all around. Right now, she's living for that one day a week she gets to go to gifted class instead of regular class, and that's pitiful. Eighteen more school days...
Only 18 days left? How lucky! I still have two full months left...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #717
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Only 18 days left? How lucky! I still have two full months left...
We're on the modified year-round schedule...they get two months off for summer, go back at the beginning of August, and then get weeks off constantly during the year. That's why we always go that week in September, because it's our Fall Break. We love this schedule!!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #718
ronnmel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We're on the modified year-round schedule...they get two months off for summer, go back at the beginning of August, and then get weeks off constantly during the year. That's why we always go that week in September, because it's our Fall Break. We love this schedule!!

I'd love to have a week on during the fall! Here we end June 23rd and start again the last week of August. We have a week off in early March, and 20 more days off randomly throughout the year. Besides summer and Christmas, the only week I could go without missing school is March. I know crowds are not that bad yet, but since EVERYONE is off at the same time in the province, flight prices are outrageous.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #719
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'd love to have a week on during the fall! Here we end June 23rd and start again the last week of August. We have a week off in early March, and 20 more days off randomly throughout the year. Besides summer and Christmas, the only week I could go without missing school is March. I know crowds are not that bad yet, but since EVERYONE is off at the same time in the province, flight prices are outrageous.
I think we must be pretty much the only area off that week in September, because every time we're down there, all the car tags are from our county!! We run into people from Julia's school all the time. It happens so much that I forget to write it into our TR because it is just so normal!

Old 04-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #720
Fantasyland Mom
DIS Veteran

Okay, if you missed my PTR link above, please make sure you follow it. It's also in my signature now. Moving on with our trip...

Thursday morning, we woke up early again. Not only did we have breakfast reservations, but we were checking into POLYNESIAN RESORT!!

We all got ready and packed up what was left of our luggage, which mostly consisted of our shower supplies and pajamas, and headed out the door.
Since this is the point we were checking out of the resort, I feel the need to reflect on Caribbean Beach Resort.

Pros:
It was relaxing. No noise at all, really.

Island theme was carried out VERY well.

FLOWERS!

Nemo room!! Need I say more?

The food court had good food, especially the breakfast quesadilla. (Do not leave in your van all day. You will regret that.)

I enjoyed their gift shop.

The pool is amazing...except we didn't swim there even once this trip. Did you notice that?? But we've stayed here before and know that it's great.

Ceiling fans in the rooms.

Cons:
Maintenance is not that great, obviously, as evidenced by our toilet troubles and the laundromat issues of those poor people.

They have plumbing problems, apparently on a regular basis and in several sections.

If you're far away from it all, you're FAR away, and it can be a maze at times. Or maybe I'm just stupid. Things were much better on our previous trip.

CMs were sometimes clueless, giving us someone else's key to the world WITH charging privilages. Good thing I'm honest.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here quite a bit. I have very fond memories of the place. But honestly, even if we could stay here again (we can't, as we're going to be considered a family of five once Sawyer is three), we most likely wouldn't. Been there, done that, ready to move on.

MOVING ON!

We drove over to Polynesian Resort and decided to go ahead and check in, as we were early for our breakfast reservation, which was also located at Poly. We didn't expect our room to be ready, but it was! Unfortunately, we didn't have time to go explore it quite yet, as we were cutting it close to ADR time.

I couldn't believe we were checking into the Poly. US! Of all people!!

As we made our way upstairs, we had snooty looks on our faces. Yes, we belong here now. I've got keys to prove it. Actually, I had LOTS of keys, as our park tickets were attached to the first set from CBR, and our room keys were for Poly. I think I could have switched them over, but I didn't want to risk anything or take the time, so we just tucked them into my lanyard pocket and moved on.

Our breakfast ADR came highly recommended here on the Dis, and it was for Kona Cafe! We parked Sawyer's stroller and were immediately seated. I needed some coffee, so I was happy about that!

The first thing I noticed was the light fixtures. See them in that picture? Aren't they awesome!?

Our server came immediately. She was...perky. I hadn't had my coffee yet, remember, so I was judgy.

I told her I wanted the pressed pot of Kona coffee pronto, thank you very much, and that we'd look over the menu while I waited on that.

Sawyer played, "Gimme dat!" with Brandon's camera while I talked with the girls about what they'd like for breakfast.

We suggested the kids start coloring, as they were getting antsy from hunger already. Yikes.

AND THEN IT CAME, in all its caffeinated glory.

And there was much rejoicing throughout the land.

I perked up just at the sight of that yumminess and immediately poured a cup, slowly pushing down the handle and then trying not to let the floating lid pop off while I poured. Was it worth the extra money from not being covered by the dining plan? ABSOLUTELY!

Julia was very snuggly with Brandon that morning, which is on our video. She was climbing all over him the whole meal, which I'm sure he both loved and hated. Personal space? Who needs it!!

We played a rousing game of thumbs up/thumbs down/neutral. It goes like this.

"Who likes ________________?" And everyone gives their opinion with a thumbs up, a thumbs down, or a thumbs sideway (neutral). I have no idea how this got to be the kids' game of choice this trip, but it kept them occupied, plus we learned a lot about their likes and dislikes.

We also told lots of jokes. And when one got a lot of laughs (or even when one was really, really bad), it was followed by a loud "BOOM" from Brandon. I think he got it from Andy Bernard from The Office (view an example HERE) , but at any rate, it drives our kids CRAZY! They HATE it. So...uhm...yeah, we did it a lot on this trip after discovering that.

Boom.

Are you noticing that we had time to do lots of activities, yet our food still hadn't arrived? That's because it took FOR.EV.ER. The restaurant wasn't full at all, so I'm not sure what that was all about, but I just tried to enjoy my coffee and keep the kids entertained.

Eventually, our food arrived and we began chowing down.

Julia had the Oatmeal and Dried Fruit - with side of bacon, except it came with a side of fruit. (Menu items are taken from the great Allears.net.)

She liked it (I mean, it was oatmeal and chopped up fruit, so not much to mess up there), but it was way more than she could eat. She loved that it came with craisins, as she's a huge craisins fan. Thumbs up.

Brynn had the Mickey Pancakes - buttermilk pancakes shaped like you-know-who, and I really wish we had a picture. However, by the time we pointed the camera her way, she had ripped the pancakes into little pieces and was digging in. Oops. Thumbs up.

Sawyer ate off everyone's plates, so he was a happy camper. Thumbs up.
Brandon had the Big Kahuna - French toast, Pancakes topped with Pineapple sauce and Macadamia Nut Butter, eggs, home fried potatoes, ham, bacon, and sausage $11.99.

Brynn stole a lot of his breakfast meat, but he enjoyed the rest. I have to say that the macadamia nut butter was nothing like the one that comes on the order of just the macadamia nut pancakes. The guy next to us had that, and he had so much more pineapple and macadamia nut butter. Brandon barely had enough to cover one pancake. Still, he enjoyed it and would get it again. Thumbs up.

I ordered The Somoan - poached eggs with Hollandaise served over smoked pulled pork hash $9.99.

It was good, if a bit overcooked. I ate tons of it, but I did wish the egg hadn't been so firm and the pork wasn't so dry. Still, it was high on my list of breakfasts I enjoy. And it was definitely something different, and that gets a thumbs up in my book!

We were really ready to go at this point, but the server was nowhere to be found. Brynn announced she had to potty, so I took her. And then Julia had to go, so I took her. And then Brandon took the kids to wait in the hallway because they were getting restless, all while waiting to see our server appear. Our server? THUMBS DOWN!

Eventually I paid the bill and we were off to find our room. We were in TAHITI!! I know that people always debate about which longhouse is the best at the Poly, but this is just what we wanted. It was spitting disance from the TTC (ya know, if you wanted to try to spit...in case you're southern like us...), it had its own little private beach, and it was quiet! Nothing was a far walk from the Great Ceremonial House, so that was a good change from CBR.

Walking along, we just enjoyed soaking in the atmosphere of the resort, which is amazing! Such great theming here! The sights, the smells...perfect.

We arrived to Tahiti and found our room, which was on the second floor.
We had to struggle for elevator access with the guys installing new mattresses, but eventually we made our way to our room.

I didn't request a specific floor, only that we had an actual balcony instead of just the rail across the doors, and I was a bit angry at first because most of the longhouses do not have a balcony on the second floor...but this one did!!!!!!!!!!!!! Request granted!

I sent Brandon in to take some pictures of the room before people messed it up (that's where the "thumbs up" in the video comes from...to commemorate our fun game of the trip, in his alone time in our Poly room).

The organizer in me LOVED these closets! All clutter could be hidden behind these doors, unlike the values and mods we've stayed in before!

And we had double sinks in the bathroom! The sinks were not outside the room as in some longhouses.

The gorgeous decor...I'm sad they've done an update, really.

Brandon decided to go move the van over to the lot close to our room so we could unload our luggage before heading out to the parks.

I stayed behind with the kids, and we poked around the room a bit.

When I heard the door opening with no knock, I assumed it was Brandon.

NOPE! It was mattress guys, trying to come in and change the mattresses without knocking first! What the what!?! I know that most people are out of their rooms by this time, but come on! A knock would be nice! What if I had been naked!? (And I wasn't, so you're welcome!) They apologized immediately and went to another room.

And when Brandon brought our luggage, I realized he didn't have a key anyway and had to knock.

All our luggage inside, we jumped over all that spit from trying to see if we could hit the TTC and hopped on a monorail to Epcot within seconds.

Already, I was getting used to this Deluxe life...and this was just the beginning!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: