Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
Disneyfan1977
DIS Veteran

Flying out of small airport, have security questions...

Hi all

So we are flying out of our very small airport in our home state. I am worried about security and wonder I'd TSA agents are at these airports too? Do they examine carry ons and what not? Got a wonderful price for our family of four (450.00 for 4 tickets round trip non stop). Plus it's about a 10 minute drive from our house.... The airport is in new castle delaware... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

[CENTER]Polynesian 1979, Polynesian 1981, Polynesian 1983, Polynesian 1985, Polynesian 1986, Polyneisan 1988, Polynesian 1990, Beach Club 1992, Wilderness Lodge 1995, Off Property 1996 (senior class trip), Off Property 1997 (work related), Wilderness Lodge 1998, Polynesian 1999, Grand Floridian 2007, Pop & Beach Club Villas 2008Fort Wilderness Cabins 20092011 Port Orleans French Quarter
Disneyfan1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfan1977 View Post
Hi all

So we are flying out of our very small airport in our home state. I am worried about security and wonder I'd TSA agents are at these airports too? Do they examine carry ons and what not? Got a wonderful price for our family of four (450.00 for 4 tickets round trip non stop). Plus it's about a 10 minute drive from our house.... The airport is in new castle delaware... Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Yes, all commercial airports have TSA and the procedures are the same.
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
DryCreek
Peter Pan (never grows up)

Only minor exceptions

The screening will be similar to any larger airport, except you will probably not have to pass through the explosive detectors (puffers) or "naked body scanners" that are found in the larger airports.

Enjoy our flight. We try to fly out of Waco Regional Airport (ACT) whenever possible. They have only two gates, one security line, and friendly TSA agents. Hh yeah, parking is free too. Both long term and pickup/dropoff. All lots are within a five minute stroll of the terminal. Sure beats having to fight your way into and out of DFW!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire

Yes your carry on luggage will still be screened just like it is at a larger airport.

CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

OP, please come back and post after your trip. I'm interested in your security experience. Small airports seem to either have friendly and professional personnel or just the opposite. As New Castle is a possibility for me, your feedback would be helpful.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
dudspizza
I married in to a Disney crazy family... now I have become the craziest of them all!

Imagine if small airports didn't have security measures in place..... any terrorist or highjacker would use that as an entry point into larger airport.

Say a bad guy gets on in a small airport and lands at a larger airport... they are now in the secure area with whatever weapons they needed.......

The 911 hijackers entered through a small airport in Maine.....
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
OP, please come back and post after your trip. I'm interested in your security experience. Small airports seem to either have friendly and professional personnel or just the opposite. As New Castle is a possibility for me, your feedback would be helpful.
My experience is the smaller the airport the more harassment you get. Big airports don't have time for the games
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudspizza View Post
Imagine if small airports didn't have security measures in place..... any terrorist or highjacker would use that as an entry point into larger airport.

Say a bad guy gets on in a small airport and lands at a larger airport... they are now in the secure area with whatever weapons they needed.......

The 911 hijackers entered through a small airport in Maine.....
Portland has enough flights that at least a good portion of the airport security screeners there are full time and don't have to work split shifts. The 9/11 bad guys had ID and were not carrying prohibited, at that time, items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
My experience is the smaller the airport the more harassment you get. Big airports don't have time for the games
True about the small airport actions. But if I stated that, it would just pooh poohed as anti TSA bias. Large airports also play games of going outside their SOP.

I'd still like to hear OP's experience.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
ariel71
For all my luck, the Google car would drive by right then, and when I want to sell my house next year, all people would see is a yard full of flamingos when they Google the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
They have only two gates, one security line, and friendly TSA agents. Sure beats having to fight your way into and out of DFW!
So true.

O'hare at Christmas - hour and a half to get through security, barely made the flight. Return from Wilkes-Barre, PA - completely empty line with six TSA agents watching me as I approached. I was just waiting for one of them to say "mine" like the seagulls in Nemo. But kidding aside, the agents I've encountered at small airports are very friendly and the lines are a breeze.

One word of caution about small airports though - you have limited options if something goes wrong, especially if it's a once-a-day flight. If I'm in a risky position (like taking the last flight of the day in the winter), I do try to have a general idea of what other routes could work, even if it means flying into a different airport and doing a one-way car rental.
ariel71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Sandi
A proud Spartans fan!

Quote:

That has not been my experience, but the small airports have been in Michigan (3) and one small airport in each of NY, Wisconsin, Colorado, California, Maine, Florida and Indiana. TSA agents have been efficient and nonconfrontational. At big airports (DTW, Dulles, Washington National, MCO, etc.), it takes a lot longer to get through TSA and the agents often seem to want to exert their power. MSP is an exception -- many good experiences through that large airport. I have never had a bad experience in a small airport. It may be that my test sample is too small, however.

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
Sur
Love the Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel71 View Post
So true.

O'hare at Christmas - hour and a half to get through security, barely made the flight. Return from Wilkes-Barre, PA - completely empty line with six TSA agents watching me as I approached. I was just waiting for one of them to say "mine" like the seagulls in Nemo. But kidding aside, the agents I've encountered at small airports are very friendly and the lines are a breeze.

One word of caution about small airports though - you have limited options if something goes wrong, especially if it's a once-a-day flight. If I'm in a risky position (like taking the last flight of the day in the winter), I do try to have a general idea of what other routes could work, even if it means flying into a different airport and doing a one-way car rental.
Can you imagine if they all started saying "MINE" like those seagulls!! I am NOT going to be able to get that off my mind whenever I see that movie again!!
You'd need a large sail/mast to keep 'em away!!
Sur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #12
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Yes, all commercial airports have TSA and the procedures are the same.
My understanding is all airports have security screenings, but not all have TSA. They're regulated by TSA, but are not TSA manned.

See this link: http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/11/airports...screening.html
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:48 PM   #13
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

OP,
can you share what airline you are flying? those are great rates and that isn't a very far drive for us for that kind of savings...
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 PM   #14
bleubell
Earning My Ears

I actually found security to be less stressful at JFK than it was in my home state of Maine.
bleubell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Not my experience. I have flown out of Worcester Ma many times...don't get much smaller than there!! The security has always been very friendly!!! In fact, a few years ago, I was flying down to Sanford, via DirectAir, and then heading to port for a cruise. I had my carryon bag full of fish extender gifts...didn't want to chance losing them along the way. The TSA guy was hysterical. He was at the end of the belt and stopped me and said...'what the heck is in there? It smells wonderful?' Told him it was bags full of candies and little gifts for a cruise I was taking. His response? 'Well, did you bring enough for me?' He was a ton of fun!!! They all were. No power plays or tactics going on.

So, while I can imagine that bad experiences can happen anywhere, that hasn't been my experience at a very small airport.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: