Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
triplejen
DIS Veteran

question about bunk beds in a standard room at Wilderness Lodge

On the web site, the standard view rooms are described as offering the following:

Standard View

Views of Service Areas, Rooftop or Parking Areas
1 Queen Bed and 1 Bunk Bed or 2 Queen Beds or 1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 4

I have twice called to see if I could add a request (and I know it's just a request, nothing is guaranteed )for a bunk bed room, and both times the CMs have told me that there are no standard view rooms with bunk beds.

So is the web site wrong, or are the CMs wrong?

What is the best way to go about requesting one? Or otherwise, is there a particular side of the WL I should be hoping for with my standard room? This is my first time at WL, so I don't know what to be looking for.

Thanks!

August 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
August 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter

February 2012 - Hard Rock Hotel (Universal only - shhhhh!)
August 2011 - Beach Club
March 2011 - All Star Sports (ESPN the Weekend)
December 2010 - Polynesian (MVMCP)
August 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort / Beach Club
February 2010 - All Star Sports (ESPN the Weekend)
August 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort
triplejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
cvjw
DIS Veteran

I think bunk beds are only available with a courtyard view (at least ours had that view), and it is a separate booking category. If you want bunkbeds, you pay more for them up front.
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
triplejen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your answer. It's strange, though, since the WDW web site explicitly states that bunk beds are one of the available bed types for standard rooms. The text in my OP was copied-and-pasted directly from there.

August 2011 - Beach Club
Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Z28KatCar
"A wish is a dream your heart makes"

From what I have been told by the CM's there is no extra charge for bunk beds but you can not request them any longer. Good Luck!

1974-1992 off site 2x/yr!, 1989-1992 Participant in the Candlelight procession ,1995 ASMV, 1997 AS, 1999 POFQ, 2003 Day Trip, 2010~2 wks ASMo, 2013~2 wks WL CL
Z28KatCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
HMANSION LOVER
PIN TRADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplejen View Post
On the web site, the standard view rooms are described as offering the following:

Standard View

Views of Service Areas, Rooftop or Parking Areas
1 Queen Bed and 1 Bunk Bed or 2 Queen Beds or 1 King Bed
Sleeps up to 4

I have twice called to see if I could add a request (and I know it's just a request, nothing is guaranteed )for a bunk bed room, and both times the CMs have told me that there are no standard view rooms with bunk beds.

So is the web site wrong, or are the CMs wrong?

What is the best way to go about requesting one? Or otherwise, is there a particular side of the WL I should be hoping for with my standard room? This is my first time at WL, so I don't know what to be looking for.

Thanks!
CM's are wrong. Family stayed at Wilderness lodge in 2008 and we had a view of a roof. Don't spend much time in room other than to sleep and get ready for day, so we don't really care about the view. I would have to believe that the view of a roof would fall under standard room. And we we never pay up for other than standard when staying at a deluxe resort because it is pricy right from the start. That being said, we had to be in a standard room and it had bunk beds. The children loved them, although they fought about who sleeps on the top bunk.

Me DW:: DS15 DD:: 10
1999 WDW Music
2000 WDW Off property
2004 WDW Off property
2008 WDW Wilderness Lodge
2011 WDW Boardwalk Villas
2013 DLR PPH and DLH
HMANSION LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

I would post this on the WL forum to see what the experts say. A lot can happen in 5 years in bed set-up.

I know of another WDW site error on room description. For Beach Club, it lists 2Q + a daybed for one of their club-level rooms, when only a very few # of these rooms currently offer a daybed. If the bunk-bed is necessary, I would go with the specific category. Just a nice to have, put it in the request and hope that the CM was incorrect and/or you will receive some pixie dust!
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
amym2
DIS Veteran

Not sure if standard view bunk bed rooms exist (thinking maybe the website is wrong), but I do know that you can no longer request bunk bed rooms. They are a separate booking category and do cost more than regular rooms. If you want a bunk bed, I'd upgrade to a Woods View bunk bed room. We booked WV but got upgraded to Courtyard View.
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
mckelvey72
Mouseketeer

I just booked bunk bed rooms for December and had a choice of Woods view or courtyard view. We liked Woods view when we stayed last year. Both time it was an upcharge to get bunk beds. And I never had an option for standard room.

Not sure if that helps but that is my experience.

mckelvey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
grimley1968
DIS Veteran
Obedient Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by amym2 View Post
Not sure if standard view bunk bed rooms exist (thinking maybe the website is wrong), but I do know that you can no longer request bunk bed rooms. They are a separate booking category and do cost more than regular rooms. If you want a bunk bed, I'd upgrade to a Woods View bunk bed room. We booked WV but got upgraded to Courtyard View.
The bolded is true these days. If you want a bunk bed room, you have to book it that way, in whatever broader category (Woods, Courtyard, Standard view) you can find it.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
triplejen
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the input everyone!

My takeaway from everyone's posts is that there are probably a handful with bunk beds, but they are in no way requestable, and are just something you might end up with if things work out that way.

I'm fine with that. For my boys bunk beds would just be an alternate option, but not one anyone cares enough about to pay a higher room rate for. I'll leave that booking category for the folks that really need bunk beds.

Have a great day!

August 2011 - Beach Club
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Tigger's ally
Segway test dummy

Quote:
Thanks for the input everyone!

My takeaway from everyone's posts is that there are probably a handful with bunk beds, but they are in no way requestable, and are just something you might end up with if things work out that way.

I'm fine with that. For my boys bunk beds would just be an alternate option, but not one anyone cares enough about to pay a higher room rate for. I'll leave that booking category for the folks that really need bunk beds.

Have a great day!
I think you misunderstood. By people saying not requestable, that means you can't just book a woods view room and request bunk beds. That won't happen. You have to reserve a woods view bunk bed room. It is a separate booking level. More money, but you can book it and be guaranteed to have one.
Tigger's ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #12
triplejen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger's ally View Post
I think you misunderstood. By people saying not requestable, that means you can't just book a woods view room and request bunk beds. That won't happen. You have to reserve a woods view bunk bed room. It is a separate booking level. More money, but you can book it and be guaranteed to have one.
Thanks - I actually understood. I am saying I understand it's not requestable with a standard room, and not important enough to me to change my booking category :-)

August 2011 - Beach Club
Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks - I actually understood. I am saying I understand it's not requestable with a standard room, and not important enough to me to change my booking category :-)
The website is wrong. There are NO standard view rooms with bunk beds. UNLESS you are talking about the Club Level. The Club Level has a mix of bed types, and all of CL is considered "Standard View-Club Level" If you are booked CL, you can request a bunk bed and you might get one.

When WL decided to start charging for the bunk bed rooms, they made them a specific booking category. Bunk beds can ONLY be found in Woods View or Courtyard View categories now.

The website has said the same thing for over 10 years. It's wrong, like it is wrong on MANY other hotel sites. It says that all rooms at the Beach Club come with a daybed, but that's not true either.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: