Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #1
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Tell me if you had to do it over again what size motorhome you would buy?

My husband and I are thinking about buying an Class C motorhome.
I want to get a 25 ft or less and he wants it to be 28ft or bigger.
He wants to buy new, and I want to buy used.
We don't have any bills presay as our house is paid off.
veraletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
jeepfreak
Mouseketeer

We went from tents to a pop up to a 24ft class c to a 32ft class a and now have a 35ft class A with 2 slides and will not go back. We love our present coach and have had it for almost 7 years. It's the only one we bought new. There's alot of good used ones out there, so I might shop around a bit before deciding. GOOD LUCK and happy hunting.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by veraletta View Post
My husband and I are thinking about buying an Class C motorhome.
I want to get a 25 ft or less and he wants it to be 28ft or bigger.
He wants to buy new, and I want to buy used.
We don't have any bills presay as our house is paid off.
Well, it's a personal choice/decision. But to answer your question, for us, we plan to stay with our 33' MH class A. We have camped in just about every type RV for the 45 yrs. we have RV'd, and for the last 10 years have had MH's. We don't want to go larger as we camp a lot in the National Parks, and lengths are sometimes limited.

We've bought mostly new, but have had a few used units - our first MH was slightly used - 6,000 miles on it (unknown to us it had issues from the factory) had to let it go, bought our current one new. Good luck deciding!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone, I have a lot to think about. I will be taking my time to make sure that we both will end up being happy...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
jbrostek
DIS Veteran

My first RV was a 36' diesel pusher (used but great price) and yes I would do it again. I liked the layout when I got it, I love the layout now.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
retired and happy
Auburn-him/Alabama-her

I started off in an 18 1/2 foot "C" and many years later got a 28 "A" , then a 37 footer. We then graduated to a better 37 (without all the rust of the first one), which we still have. A newer one would be a 37-40 footer if it will fit in our driveway, and have at least three slides and most likely a king bed for us and bunk beds for the kids. Of course this is predicated on our winning the lottery...for which we must first purchase a ticket....and have a LOT of luck.
retired and happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Well my husband has been looking at Coachmen Freelander 28 QBLTD class C. Anyone know anything about Coachmen Freelander are they good.
We haven't a clue on what is good or bad for RV. First timer here...
Old 04-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Don't know anything about the Coachmen Freelander, but I'm with your dh in buying at least a 28' vs. 25'. You don't mention children, but even a couple can use that much room, and gas mileage, initial prices shouldn't be that much different. We are just *two* now, and we enjoy all of our 33' MH.

You can usually go online and get an idea of reviews for most RV's. You can then use your own judgement/likes/dislikes to decide on a particular make/model/layout.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
RoyalBlunders
Always a Princess but by no means Perfect!

We have a 36Ft Jayco Seneca Class C (Diesel) We love the space (2 slides) but we have 4 kiddos and use it for work and play so space was important. I like the class C not only for the extra sleeping space up above (we also have a set of bunks) but because I like the feel of riding in a "Truck" vs. a "Bus" feel. I have met others who full time and love class C's who don't need the extra sleeping space but use it for extra storage. I've come to realize that when it comes to MH it is a very personal decision. I still have a u-shaped Dinette and wash/drying machine on my wish list but so far there isn't one out there that fits the bill. The only drawback I see with the larger units is it can get tight moving around some camp grounds and sites. I would also recommend used only because they significantly drop in value when they leave the lot. There are so many units available for sale that people bought and have hardly used. I was amazed at the low miles on the used RVs that we looked at. Good luck and keep us posted on what you decided!!!
Jan.2007-Pop Century * Sept.2008-All Star Music * Aug.2009-Off Site * Feb.2010-Saratoga Springs * Jan.2011-Disneyland * July 2011-Disneyland * Dec.2011-POR!! First time for the Holidays!!! * Aug 2012 Fort Wilderness Campsites-First time RV!
RoyalBlunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
bronk
Earning My Ears

It really depends on how you plan to use the motor home, ie; full-timing would be far more comfortable in a 40' or larger with multiple slides, weekends and vacation times could easily be accomodated with a smaller coach, but of course it would depend on the number in the family - we have 2 golden retrievers, thus the 40' MH. The most important consideration for any purchase, however, is the interior layout, since that is where you will be spending a great deal of the time. There are many considerations, and a little time spent in research before purchasing can alleviate many headaches "down the road".

Good luck with your choice!

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:47 AM   #11
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Okay this RV will be for my husband, my daughter and her two children.
I'm sure some times that my son will come, but that will be rare.
So there will be 5 of us.
But if my daughter or I can learn to drive the motorhome it then 4 lol.

We are going to look at a 2013 Coachmen Freelander 31DS tomorrow. Also this RV will have 2 slides and 32 ft long.
I realize that I was maybe hoping that I could do with a 25 ft motorhome, but you have to realize that I haven't been in one of them yet. I've only watch videos online and of course all the RV seem really big to me.

I've only camp in a tent or pop up and the last time I camp was about 5 years ago.
My husbands ideas of camping is at fort wilderness in the cabins, with his air and tv.
So for the last 40 years, all I've heard from him is "I will never camp in a tent, pop up, or trailer, and if you want me to camp, it will only be in a motorhome."
So thats where we are at.

Also when thinking about what size of motorhome to get, I was going by the size of how many people it can sleep.
As we really don't spend a lot of time in the cabin so I'm thinking it would be the same in the motorhome.
Which my not be true, if we are at a lake fishing. Disney keeps you busy...
So tomorrow I will get better understanding once I've been inside of one of the motorhomes.

I love the lay out of of the Freelander 31ds and Coachmen Freelander 28 QBLTD class C.
So after reading how big everyone else rigs were I went back and watch the video of the 28 QBLTD and realize there was no room on the counter for my husband Keurig. LOL
So I decide that maybe I should go look inside of the 31ds.

Oh yeah for the most part the motorhome will be used for Disney's Fort Wilderness. It's the only place we go for vacation.
I'm hoping that once we get an RV that we will start to go other places close to home.
We really enjoy disney and go 2 to 3 times a year. We sometimes stay as long as 16 days but for the most part its around 8 or 10 days.

If you ask anyone in our family which resort do you want to stay at? You will only get one answer " Fort Wilderness".
Old 04-30-2013, 06:09 AM   #12
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

There is a saying, purchase your last RV first. This means get the biggest, baddest RV you can afford so you don't have to buy another.

There is some truth in the saying but it requires you to really do your homework. Not only check out the layout, sit on the toilet(s) and spend some time in the bathroom(s) and shower/tub. Think about the comfort and how busy it might be. Make believe you or DH is cooking in the kitchen and people are walking around or need to go to the bedroom, bathroom, get stuff from storage compartments or kids are just playing around.

32 feet of RV can become very crowded during a rainy day/night when it is hot and humid outside.

We now have a 36' bath and a half w/2 slides that is great for us and works well when DD, DSIL, 2 DGSs + 2 DGDs both with Spina Bifida visit at FW and other campgrounds.

Have fun looking and enjoy your future RVing.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
2goofycampers
Sounds like something a camping trip could cure
Enjoy the beer and wine you will love it

I agree with John VN. Also you might want to be able to get to the frig during trips. Check to see if you're gonna have to open slideouts to do this.

2goofycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
There is a saying, purchase your last RV first. This means get the biggest, baddest RV you can afford so you don't have to buy another.

There is some truth in the saying but it requires you to really do your homework. Not only check out the layout, sit on the toilet(s) and spend some time in the bathroom(s) and shower/tub. Think about the comfort and how busy it might be. Make believe you or DH is cooking in the kitchen and people are walking around or need to go to the bedroom, bathroom, get stuff from storage compartments or kids are just playing around.

32 feet of RV can become very crowded during a rainy day/night when it is hot and humid outside.

We now have a 36' bath and a half w/2 slides that is great for us and works well when DD, DSIL, 2 DGSs + 2 DGDs both with Spina Bifida visit at FW and other campgrounds.

Have fun looking and enjoy your future RVing.
Your saying, to a degree, might work. BUT, especially in our case, we have been camping all our married lives, and getting the size many years ago that we can use now would have been just a pipe dream!

We have owned many different types RV's (VW Van, pop up, trailers, fifth wheel) and for the last 10 years what we 'may' stick with. So for us, and many people, it was a 'progressive' purchase. We 'hate' financing for non-essentials, so wait for the funds to 'move up' in our RV's.

OP, the size will also depend on your storage room for your unit, ease of parking, towing a vehicle, etc. We considered a Class C when purchasing our last MH until we sat in the 'cab' area. It was so closed in that we both felt claustrophobic.

Anyway, true what you said, you 'do' need to 'see' different ones, and consider lots more than the sleeping layouts. The Class C's also have less storage room (in general). Some have 'basement' storage, others didn't.

The best of luck finding just the one you need for your family!
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
veraletta
DIS Veteran

Okay guys we went and looked at a lot of motorhomes: All models were new.
2013 Coachmen Freelander 31DS Class C Motorhome
2014 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K Class C Motorhome
2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SA Class C Motorhome
There were two more but I can't remember the names.

I loved the freelander because it was a 2 slide and had lots of storage in the bedroom with the extra slide. Loved the outside tv with table and stove.
Price : $59,995.00

Now the newer Winnebago Minnie Winnie had only 1 slide, but everything looked better made and the couch was really comfortable as well as bed, bathroom and toilet was better as I sat on it like you guys said to do. Also had a better roof.
Price: $62,995.00

Now for the Coachmen Leprechaun I just love it... It had everything going for it.
Best all around from bathroom, bed to storage.
But it came at a bigger price :$74,995.00

So this may surprise you but I went with the Winnebago as they had fiberglass roof, comfort, and quality ...plus a great reputation is what sold me. Also the Minnie was this year model 2014.

I wasn't ready to pay $75K for the Leprechaun, heck if you remember I wanted to stay around $50k... I was surprised I went to $60k.
But like you guys said get the biggest, baddest RV you can afford.

Though we can afford the Leprechaun I just couldn't do it, heck my husband even told me to get it. I told him I feel comfort with the Minnie Winnie all around with price, Qualityand reputation.. As I know nothing about Coachmen.
I hate owning money and want to pay this off right away.

Now if I find out that Winnebago no longer has a good name I will just cry... lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: