Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
If this is the world in which we live, then we need to see it.
So true...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #17
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I agree with photo chick, how much is too much? Unfortunately, as photographers we usually don't make that choice. That's made above our paygrade! Our job is to record it. I've been in situations where your recording an event, something happens and you have to make a choice. Its difficult and you only hope that you make the right call. Its difficult for me because I spent 39 years as a first responder. To lay back and let others handle it, isn't in my make-up, but I have to.
But photographers are making that choice now by sharing the images online. Message boards, social networks... there is no regulation. And an image can easily get picked up and go viral this way, spreading farther and faster than what any news agency can do.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
But photographers are making that choice now by sharing the images online. Message boards, social networks... there is no regulation. And an image can easily get picked up and go viral this way, spreading farther and faster than what any news agency can do.
I agree. What I was referring to is when you are working an event and your employer/client gets the images. The editors/graphics folks make the choice which images are posted.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
mikegood2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree with photo chick, how much is too much? Unfortunately, as photographers we usually don't make that choice. That's made above our paygrade! Our job is to record it. I've been in situations where your recording an event, something happens and you have to make a choice. Its difficult and you only hope that you make the right call. Its difficult for me because I spent 39 years as a first responder. To lay back and let others handle it, isn't in my make-up, but I have to.
I agree with you and others that as a photographer, especially if you are being paid for an event, your job is to get the photos. The more difficult question is how you handle the situation of making a choice between recording an event or helping. I remember listening to a discussion on a podcast a few years, can't remember the story the discussion was based on, how you as photographer, would make that decision. It was interesting the differences in responses. I remember how I was actually getting angry with one of the people, when they talked about how it was their responsibility to continue taking photos, even it they were asked to help someone. I guess I'm just someone that couldn't stand by and not try to help.

Quote:
I agree. What I was referring to is when you are working an event and your employer/client gets the images. The editors/graphics folks make the choice which images are posted.
Agree, it's the photographers job to get the images and its the editors/designers job to chose what to post.
mikegood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #20
YesDear
Admired by the Tag Fairy for such a brilliant user name!Looks more like Sully, acts more like Stitch

There was a fascinating and emotional piece on CBS Sunday Morning week before last regarding the opening of the World Trade Center Memorial Museum. The head of the organization and board members shared some of the discussions/arguments as to what would go into it. There appeared to be a clear line between those that felt that the public should see it all in all of it's horror and those that wanted to sanitize it for the public. It seems the truth is winning out. Many of the board members are family members of those that were lost. Subjects like do you show the faces of the terrorists or how do you cover those that jumped if at all!

I believe the winning theme is the entire story needs to be told, you cannot and should not sanitize history. I agree with that philosophy personally.

I do not want to see body parts on the evening news but I do want to be able to have somewhere where I can elect to find out what truly happened. I believe we have sanitized too many horrific times in history and believe it does change the story over time.

We are all journalists today with our cell phones, etc and look at what we are seeing!

"Also cute and fluffy" Stitch
YesDear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #21
photo_chick

Quote:
Ahh.. yes. Then we have to decide about what our job is and at what point is what they want us to do in conflict with what we feel is the right thing to do.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #22
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesDear View Post
There was a fascinating and emotional piece on CBS Sunday Morning week before last regarding the opening of the World Trade Center Memorial Museum. The head of the organization and board members shared some of the discussions/arguments as to what would go into it. There appeared to be a clear line between those that felt that the public should see it all in all of it's horror and those that wanted to sanitize it for the public. It seems the truth is winning out. Many of the board members are family members of those that were lost. Subjects like do you show the faces of the terrorists or how do you cover those that jumped if at all!

I believe the winning theme is the entire story needs to be told, you cannot and should not sanitize history. I agree with that philosophy personally.

I do not want to see body parts on the evening news but I do want to be able to have somewhere where I can elect to find out what truly happened. I believe we have sanitized too many horrific times in history and believe it does change the story over time.

We are all journalists today with our cell phones, etc and look at what we are seeing!
There is a difference between telling the whole story and the media/social media running images into the ground.

My husband and I were just talking about the 9/11 documentary. The one where the film makers just happened to be already following a fire house when the attack happened. They have footage in there from inside the lobby of the World Trade Center. You hear the thuds of people who jumped out of windows hitting the top of the lobby. That footage wasn't on the news. I think if it had been that it wouldn't have the impact it does when you see that scene in the film. People need to see that footage and remember that each of those thuds was a person dying at that moment. If footage like that is played over and over we stop listening. And that is a huge problem with our society today. There is just so much thrown at us that we mentally dismiss many things.

And I think if they're making a museum the whole story, every image, every video, every call for help, should be there. But that media shouldn't become a viral post on Facebook or the most viewed article on CNN.com.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #23
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

PHOTO THERAPY: VIEWS OF ITALY HELP HEAL WOUNDS FROM THE BOSTON MARATHON BOMBINGS

Quote:
Globe photographer Stan Grossfeld was vacationing in Italy in the aftermath of the Boston Marathon bombings. Feeling powerless, he turned his camera lens on his beautiful surroundings to create some “photo therapy” for Boston.
http://www.boston.com/travel/2013/04.../pictures.html

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #24
AndrewWG

DIS Veteran

I couldn't snap pictures while people were bleeding to death on the sidewalk. I would have put down the camera and helped in whatever way I could. Knowing one person who is suffering from multiple surgeries with many more to come, I would hope that I could have helped him in some way and not taken a photo of his suffering.

My Photo of the Day Blog

Sadly, the Fantasy Thanksgiving cruise is now over. What a great time! Check out the slideshow here: My DCL Fantasy Cruise Slideshow
AndrewWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
cjstarr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWG View Post
I couldn't snap pictures while people were bleeding to death on the sidewalk. I would have put down the camera and helped in whatever way I could. Knowing one person who is suffering from multiple surgeries with many more to come, I would hope that I could have helped him in some way and not taken a photo of his suffering.
AndrewWG you're not alone.
June 6, 2010 Movie Resort, MK, Epcot, HS, & AK
Our next trip to Walt Disney World ???

Think Outside the BOX!!!
My Camera is a Sony A57
cjstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
Andrew K
Earning My Ears

I am glad that some photographers had the fortitude to keep shooting. I work in healthcare and have already used some of the more graphic images as training aids with some that I mentor.
That being said I had to search for the most graphic and I doubt the majority of the world needed to see them. The ones out there already showed what happened. But if someone hadn’t taken the ones I used a vital lesson may have been lost.
I also couldn’t help but notice people with cameras at their side finger off the shutter pulling down barricades or ripping up shirts. I’m just thankful that I didn’t have to choose between the documentarian side of me and the healthcare side of me.
Andrew K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In the past the government has regulated the dissemination of news photo, film and video. But with the internet and this free flow of information that regulation is now in the direct hands of the people. And I'm not sure we, as a society, are making the best choices in what to share.
Photo Chick, I agree with your position that we don't always make good choices about what to share. I personally avoid looking at graphic images of events like this one and try to shield my kids from them (sometimes easier said than done). However, we are supposed to have a free press in this country. Given the ease with which information can be shared, it's arguably freer than ever today, and while not everyone exercises that freedom responsibly, on balance, I'll take the freedom. It beats government regulation of what we see and hear.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #28
photo_chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzperry View Post
Photo Chick, I agree with your position that we don't always make good choices about what to share. I personally avoid looking at graphic images of events like this one and try to shield my kids from them (sometimes easier said than done). However, we are supposed to have a free press in this country. Given the ease with which information can be shared, it's arguably freer than ever today, and while not everyone exercises that freedom responsibly, on balance, I'll take the freedom. It beats government regulation of what we see and hear.
Having a free press does not mean the freedom to print or publish whatever we choose. There are limitations on that freedom in the media, usually imposed by agencies like the FCC. Online there is no freedom of the press. You must abide by the rules of the site owner and the server owner as well as the laws of the place in which the server is housed.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #29
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Having a free press does not mean the freedom to print or publish whatever we choose.
Then what does it mean?

Quote:
There are limitations on that freedom in the media, usually imposed by agencies like the FCC.
The FCC regulates broadcast media in that it grants licenses to radio and tv stations. But there aren't many content based restrictions other than rules that require broadcast stations to give equal time to opposing political candidates and offer opportunities for rebuttal, but that's about it. The "fairness doctrine" (rightly) hasn't been enforced for years (despite some ridiculous threats to reinstate it). Other laws like campaign finance laws indirectly restrict speech, but again, they are not content based restrictions and do not directly regulate or restrict the press.

Print media are, for the most part, unregulated. They can publish most anything that isn't defamatory or obscene.

Quote:
Online there is no freedom of the press. You must abide by the rules of the site owner and the server owner as well as the laws of the place in which the server is housed.
Although plenty of politicians are trying to ruin it, the internet also remains mostly a free marketplace of ideas. Abiding by a site or server owner's rules is not a government restriction and has nothing to do with freedom of the press. I'm not sure what you mean by "laws of the place in which the server is housed."

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
Wishes2you
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewWG View Post
I too would have put down my camera and helped that is just who I am.

Jan. 2013 - CBR
Nov. 2006 - CBR
Wishes2you is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: