Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #181
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabug02 View Post
Hi there! I'm not wanting to get into the big debate over whether Avatarland is a good idea or not. I am just wondering why we haven't heard any updates from Disney on the status of the whole thing. It seems like it was announced quite a while ago and nothing much about it since. Any ideas on why?
always said construction would start 2013...look for this summer to see phys construction
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #182
amberg93
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I'm in the camp of people hoping that they decide to scrap Avatarland. So I'm hoping by this summer, we'll see that they aren't starting construction.

I won't argue about whether or not it was a box office success (it was), I just worry that this isn't a good move. As many people have pointed out, there isn't the following that would draw people to the parks. And I know this is going to lead to the same stats about how much money it earned (a lot), the Academy awards etc, etc, etc. Yes, those are values of success with Hollywood, but not with people.

I'm a Tumblr user, where I have a blog and follow over 300 blogs. Some are devoted to a specific fandom (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc) but many are multi-fandom or personal blogs, meaning they post many things that they like. In over two years of being a Tumblr user, I have seen zero posts about Avatar. There are over 100 million blogs on Tumblr, many that post about fandoms they like. Yet, when you search 'Avatar' on Tumblr, you mostly come up with Avatar: The Last Airbender. Fandoms are the 'crazies'. They'll plan vacations just to see something they love, they'll go spend the money to see a movie five or six times in theaters. They buy the merchandise, make fan-art, write stories about the characters, they invest time and energy into these fictional places and people. These are the types of people who you want to be interested in your new theme park addition because they will make special trips just to see the new land. These are the people who you want drawn in.

I'm just worried that Avatarland isn't going to have the push that Disney needs to drive attendance past the first couple of months. I don't know what would, I don't pretend to have answers about that or suggestions as to what to do otherwise. I'm just hoping they come up with something more reliable instead.

I'm not opposed to a single Avatar ride, I just think it's a bit overambitious to make a whole land out of it.
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #183
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93 View Post
Honestly, I'm in the camp of people hoping that they decide to scrap Avatarland. So I'm hoping by this summer, we'll see that they aren't starting construction.

I won't argue about whether or not it was a box office success (it was), I just worry that this isn't a good move. As many people have pointed out, there isn't the following that would draw people to the parks. And I know this is going to lead to the same stats about how much money it earned (a lot), the Academy awards etc, etc, etc. Yes, those are values of success with Hollywood, but not with people.

I'm a Tumblr user, where I have a blog and follow over 300 blogs. Some are devoted to a specific fandom (Doctor Who, Harry Potter, Star Wars, etc) but many are multi-fandom or personal blogs, meaning they post many things that they like. In over two years of being a Tumblr user, I have seen zero posts about Avatar. There are over 100 million blogs on Tumblr, many that post about fandoms they like. Yet, when you search 'Avatar' on Tumblr, you mostly come up with Avatar: The Last Airbender. Fandoms are the 'crazies'. They'll plan vacations just to see something they love, they'll go spend the money to see a movie five or six times in theaters. They buy the merchandise, make fan-art, write stories about the characters, they invest time and energy into these fictional places and people. These are the types of people who you want to be interested in your new theme park addition because they will make special trips just to see the new land. These are the people who you want drawn in.

I'm just worried that Avatarland isn't going to have the push that Disney needs to drive attendance past the first couple of months. I don't know what would, I don't pretend to have answers about that or suggestions as to what to do otherwise. I'm just hoping they come up with something more reliable instead.

I'm not opposed to a single Avatar ride, I just think it's a bit overambitious to make a whole land out of it.
I agree completely with you
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #184
Soarin4Disney
Earning My Ears

Quote:

I agree with you on this. And now that Disney owns Star Wars, the whole Avatarland idea might go away. A Star Wars land has great potential, but not Avatarland.

Our Disney Vacations:

Apr 2010 Offsite
May 2010 POP
Soarin4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #185
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soarin4Disney View Post
I agree with you on this. And now that Disney owns Star Wars, the whole Avatarland idea might go away. A Star Wars land has great potential, but not Avatarland.
But Star Wars doesn't fit thematically in AK. If Avatarland gets canceled I personally believe it will end up being a few more years until a new idea get off the drawing board and construction can start. So we could easily be looking at 2020 before AK gets a major new attraction.
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #186
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I've never seen Avatar. It has never looked interesting to me other than the novelty factor of it being the most expensive movie made and the beautiful images. If/When Avatar land is built, I will watch the movie.

I'm going to withhold judgement until I see Avatar land. It may be wonderful. It may also be easily de-Avatared and transformed in to another type of land if Avatar doesn't catch on. Just take the characters out and modify the main ride and you easily have another "wild" area not based on a movie.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #187
Nanabug02
Look for me in the garden, eating worms

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberg93

Very well said. I agree with you on this. Why not do one Avatar themed ride? Make it an amazing ride...really do it up right. But then, put the rest of the time and resources towards something with more staying power or more interest.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #188
WDW1979

Quote:

I agree, though I have ideas new park lands and attractions, and Disney probably has access to great professional idea people who have good ideas. Avatar is a waste of time & resources for Disney, in my opinion. Like you said, maybe one Avatar ride, but the time & expense devoted to a whole Avatar land would be better spent elsewhere by Disney.
1979 June: Days Lodge Kissimmee - 1991 August: Rental house Orlando - 1997 May: Dixie Landings - 1998 May: Dixie Landings and Polynesian - 1999 July: Wilderness Lodge - 2000 May: Wilderness Lodge, Dixie Landings and Grand Floridian - 2002 April: Dixie Landings - 2002 May: Newport Bay Club at Disneyland Paris - 2003 May: Residence Inn LBV - 2004 April: Villas at Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club Villas - 2005 January/Feb: Fort Wilderness Cabins, Royal Pacific, Hilton - 2005 May: Hampton Inn and Riverside (POR) - 2006 January: Fort Wilderness Cabins and Beach Club Villas - 2007 March: Riverside (POR) - 2008 May: Pop Century - 2008 August: Embassy Suites Int'l Drive - 2009 July: Disneyland Hotel Hong Kong - 2009 Christmas: Wilderness Lodge and Homewood Suites - 2011 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2012 March: Riverside (POR), Fort Wilderness - 2013 August: Contemporary, Riverside (POR) - 2014 March: Riverside (POR)

Last edited by WDW1979; 05-02-2013 at 11:19 AM.
WDW1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:18 PM   #189
avarson
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
But Star Wars doesn't fit thematically in AK. If Avatarland gets canceled I personally believe it will end up being a few more years until a new idea get off the drawing board and construction can start. So we could easily be looking at 2020 before AK gets a major new attraction.
A generic Star Wars land wouldn't fit, but an Endor based land or Kashyyykk(Chewbacca's home) would certainly fit as well as Avatar would. I don't think either of those would happen though. Unless they did it like Universal is doing with HP and do Endor at AK and Tattoine at HS.
avarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #190
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by avarson View Post
A generic Star Wars land wouldn't fit, but an Endor based land or Kashyyykk(Chewbacca's home) would certainly fit as well as Avatar would. I don't think either of those would happen though. Unless they did it like Universal is doing with HP and do Endor at AK and Tattoine at HS.
And then connect the two with a ride! Wouldn't it be awesome to be able to move back and forth between the parks. Disney would sell a lot more hoppers and APs.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #191
twebber55
DIS Veteran

guys im all for star wars having a greater presence in the parks but not in two parks....build a land in DHS have your star wars weekends and expand other IPs

right now it looks like avatar is happening and will include one e ticket/mini land with cs
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #192
DISzy
Mouseketeer

I only saw Avatar once and I agree with everyone who says that it doesn't have a following. However, it was a beautiful movie and when I think about the technology and creativity of Disney bringing that scenery to life I get very excited. Imagine a land where you can walk through a when you rub a leaf it glows in response to your touch! Imagine an indoor, dark, attraction with the avatar scenery. You wouldn't have to know the movie to appreciate those things. This is an opportunity for Disney to take attractions and park environments the next level technologically.
DISzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #193
fitzperry
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISzy View Post
I only saw Avatar once and I agree with everyone who says that it doesn't have a following. However, it was a beautiful movie and when I think about the technology and creativity of Disney bringing that scenery to life I get very excited. Imagine a land where you can walk through a when you rub a leaf it glows in response to your touch! Imagine an indoor, dark, attraction with the avatar scenery. You wouldn't have to know the movie to appreciate those things. This is an opportunity for Disney to take attractions and park environments the next level technologically.
My sentiments exactly. I didn't care much for the film (liked it better when it was Dances With Wolves or even Pocahontas) but it was visually stunning. If done well, it could have very broad appeal, perhaps more so than something like Harry Potter.

fitzperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:07 AM   #194
molliewalks
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post

The only thing I question in this post is the "tepid" comment-- If it is referring to the publics response to the addition, what are you basing it on? If it is these boards, I think the people who are pro avatar do not have the energy or desire to post " yey avatar" every time they are on, where the cons seem to always be more vocal. Maybe a poll is in order---
YAY AVATAR!!! I'm excited!!
molliewalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #195
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molliewalks View Post
YAY AVATAR!!! I'm excited!!
Thanks! They need to change the name of this thread to "star wars fans who are jealous of avatar land"
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: