Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 PM   #2731
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddluvsdisney View Post
That is so exciting!! I am hoping one of my boys will want to do that too someday.
start reading up on it!!!! theres an entire wing on facebook devoted to cp.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #2732
BC1836
DIS Veteran

We departed for WDW on Friday, April 12 at 4:35 a.m.

6:05 a.m. DE (I-95)
6:22 a.m. MD (increasing traffic)
9:12 a.m. VA (caught in slowdown for accident)
12:46 p.m. NC (periodic rain and then sun)
4:00 p.m. SC (periodic rain and then sun)
7:04 p.m. GA
9:45 P.M. Yulee, FL (stayover)

The rain and added rush-hour traffic added about two hours to our drive.

The next day, after a visit to friends in Port Orange, we arrived at the Holiday Inn in Lake Buena Vista at 3:30 p.m. We made a visit to EPCOt and Downtown Disney.

The next morning we drove to the Grand Floridian Resort and stayed there until our departure on Sunday morning, April 21.

When we left the Jersey Shore on Friday before dawn it was 46 degrees; when we we arrived home this afternoon it was 48 degrees! What happened to spring's arrival? However, local gas was $3.13, 20-cents less than when we departed (it was as high as $3.69 in FL; $3.31 at Disney Hess).

Total mileage for drive #29: 2,240 miles.

Of course, what happened in between the two drives: Disney magic, fun, great meals, wonderful CMs, etc.

We can't wait to return.

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #2733
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

question....

We are heading to WDW in 5 months. We usually leave around 5am and stop in Savannah for the night. This year we want to make it to Cocoa Beach for the night as we are planning a surprise day for the boys at Kennedy Space Center the next day.

My question is this.....in order to get to Cocoa Beach at a reasonable time of the night (say 8-9ish) what time do you think we should leave in the morning? We're leaving on Sunday 9/15 so I have no idea what the traffic might be like. Wanted to ask all you experienced travelers for your thoughts.

TIA!!

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
Old 04-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #2734
amcnj
DIS Veteran

Hi BC. Welcome back. The traffic you are referring to was the morning rush in the MD/DC/VA area? So overall leaving NJ around 2:30 am does make a significant difference as opposed to leaving 4:30 AM?

Also, I read today that they expect gasoline prices to keep dropping, possibly by another 20 cents a gallon. $3.13 is the best I saw today (cash only), and 3.15 for a cash/credit price. So if the decrease comes about, we should see under $3.00 eventually, and this during the period when prices normally are rising due to increased driving and thus gasoline demand.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #2735
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebbynan View Post
We are heading to WDW in 5 months. We usually leave around 5am and stop in Savannah for the night. This year we want to make it to Cocoa Beach for the night as we are planning a surprise day for the boys at Kennedy Space Center the next day.

My question is this.....in order to get to Cocoa Beach at a reasonable time of the night (say 8-9ish) what time do you think we should leave in the morning? We're leaving on Sunday 9/15 so I have no idea what the traffic might be like. Wanted to ask all you experienced travelers for your thoughts.

TIA!!
Google maps says it 4 1/2 hours from Savannah to Cocoa Beach so I would leave 4 1/2 hours than you usually do which would mean 12:30 a.m.

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #2736
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvczerfs View Post

start reading up on it!!!! theres an entire wing on facebook devoted to cp.
Good to know.. Thanks!!
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
Old 04-24-2013, 01:08 PM   #2737
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcnj View Post
Hi BC. Welcome back. The traffic you are referring to was the morning rush in the MD/DC/VA area? So overall leaving NJ around 2:30 am does make a significant difference as opposed to leaving 4:30 AM?.
Yup!

All the best.
The 20th Century...'74-'00 (23 visits): Multiple stays at the Contemporary, Golf Resort, Old Key West, Port Orleans, Polynesian, Dixie Landings, Grand Floridian, offsite locations + one Disneyland trip.

The 21st Century (40 visits): '01: Yacht Club.....'02: Animal Kingdom Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'03: Wilderness Lodge & Grand Floridian.....'04: Grand Floridian.....'05: Beach Club & Grand Floridian.....'06: (May) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club.....'07: (March) Polynesian & Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Coronado Springs & Grand Floridian; '08: (March) Port Orleans Riverside & Polynesian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (June) Paradise Pier @ Disneyland; (Oct.) Beach Club; (Dec.) Beach Club; '09 (March) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Grand Floridian; (Dec.) Grand Floridian; '10 (March) Grand Floridian; (May-June) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'11 (April) Grand Floridian; (June) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian....'12 (March-April) Grand Floridian: Presidential Suite; (May) Grand Californian @ Disneyland; (Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk: Garden Suites; (Dec.) Grand Floridian...'13 (April) Grand Floridian; (Aug.) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite; (Oct.) Boardwalk; (Dec.) Beach Club & Grand Floridian...'14 (April) Grand Floridian: Roy Disney Suite...(Aug.) Grand Floridian; (Oct.) Boardwalk
Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #2738
yespie
Earning My Ears

Question on I-95 through Jacksonville

For those traveling to Disney on I-95, when approaching Jacksonville is it better to stay on I-95 through Jacksonville? Or go onto I-295 around Jacksonville? And if I-295, so I take the western route or the eastern route?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:33 PM   #2739
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yespie View Post
For those traveling to Disney on I-95, when approaching Jacksonville is it better to stay on I-95 through Jacksonville? Or go onto I-295 around Jacksonville? And if I-295, so I take the western route or the eastern route?
We have remained on I-95 for twenty-nine drives since 2002.

All the best.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #2740
patclairesmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yespie View Post
We also remain on I95

Old 04-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #2741
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

We took 295 a few times, when construction was going on. We liked it, it was like a local highway, still went fast but not an interstate feel. We added about 25 minutes to the trip, which was good in a construction zone. Once the construction went down, we returned to 95 and were fine with it. Jacksonville is one of those cool cities to drive through, too. The skyline is pretty cool, very modern, and the water is beautiful,

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #2742
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
We took 295 a few times, when construction was going on. We liked it, it was like a local highway, still went fast but not an interstate feel. We added about 25 minutes to the trip, which was good in a construction zone. Once the construction went down, we returned to 95 and were fine with it. Jacksonville is one of those cool cities to drive through, too. The skyline is pretty cool, very modern, and the water is beautiful,
We noticed some additional minor construction work on I-95 south just beyond the Jacksonville bridge last week.

Now then...lots of construction going on on I-95 just north of Richmond, and some big projects going on in MD. It was significantly more busy than our previous drive in December.

All the best.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:34 PM   #2743
hebbynan
Chase and Eli's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveysbydesign View Post
Google maps says it 4 1/2 hours from Savannah to Cocoa Beach so I would leave 4 1/2 hours than you usually do which would mean 12:30 a.m.
Thanks!

WL February 2017 for DS high school band trip * WL 2013*ASMo 2011/2010/2006*FW 2007*SoG 2000*Off Site 1998
Old 04-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #2744
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1836 View Post
We noticed some additional minor construction work on I-95 south just beyond the Jacksonville bridge last week.

Now then...lots of construction going on on I-95 just north of Richmond, and some big projects going on in MD. It was significantly more busy than our previous drive in December.

All the best.
Good to know. What about Georgia? Is that wrapped up yet or is that the new Jacksonville - going on forever??

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
Old 04-27-2013, 01:01 AM   #2745
BC1836
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadoc View Post
Good to know. What about Georgia? Is that wrapped up yet or is that the new Jacksonville - going on forever??
We experienced nothing of significance driving through GA, either heading to WDW or returning home.

Of course, driving on I-95 it's not unusual to see a new "Construction Ahead" sign popping up just after passing an "End Roadwork" sign. Hmm. "End Roadwork" sounds more like a protest sign than a road info sign!

All the best.

All the best.

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: