Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
3littlecuties
Mouseketeer

Staying off-site?

OK...one more question for today. DH has mentioned staying off-site because we can get a place significantly cheaper than the deluxe or moderate Disney hotels. I feel like some of the "magic" will be lost though.

Thoughts? Has anyone done both and can compare?
3littlecuties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
Lynne M

DISboards Moderator

You might want to also pose this question on our Orlando Hotels and Attractions board, to get some opinions from the folks who regularly stay off site.
Lynne M is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I've done both. We do like staying onsite and not having to drive but lately more of our trips have been offsite at timeshare resorts and they really do save us money and we get a lot more room. I don't know about the 'magic' of it. It still feels like vacation at WDW and you still spend a lot of time in the parks.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
ExpatDisneyLover
DIS Veteran

Well I have done both and enjoyed both. I guess you'll only know once you try an off site stay how you feel about it. My personal preference is to stay onsite in the "Disney bubble" but I do think it is all magical really.

If I were going to stay offsite I would definitely stay in a place I would really enjoy, comfortable with amenities and/or space I might not be able to get onsite at the same price (like at the Waldorf Astoria - LOL) - that way I have something special to look forward to even in my off site stay.

Have a great trip whatever you choose!

1984 DL * 1986 WDW * 1994 Euro Disney * 1996 WDW * 2009 WDW POR * March 2010 DLRP Santa Fe * June 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * November 2010 DLRP Magic Circus * February 2011 DLRP Dream Castle * May 2011 WDW Sheraton Vistana / Hilton Bonnet Creek * September 2011 WDW Night of Joy Hilton DTD * March 2012 WDW Pop * April 2012 WDW AKL * May 2012 WDW SSR *

POR 2009 Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ching+t+shirts
DLRP Trip Reports
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2419270
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2476348
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....rd+trip+report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....le+trip+report
ExpatDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
abner1776
DIS Veteran

As a DVC member, I have cast my lot with staying on property, but to me the issue is not so much the cost per se as it is with, as people will say, the magic. Even staying at OKW, I still felt that I was at WDW and not at a local hotel. I feel more connected with WDW by staying on property and I guess it comes down to what you expect to get out of your vacation.

If you look at WDW is just a glorified Six Flags, then staying off property is probably the way to go, but if you look at WDW as something special, then staying on property is what you need. Everyone has to answer that question for themselves and what works for me may not work for you.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

We have done both, and both have their benefits.

Off site you usually have way more space for a lot less money. But for me, that is the only benefit. You have to rent a car if you don't have one (off site transportation is no where near as good as Disney's) and then you have to pay for parking. If you are a family who usually ends up splitting up so that some can go back to the resort to relax while others want to stay in the parks, now someone has to pay for a taxi to get around.

I like using DME to get from the airport to the resort. I like being in the Disney Bubble the whole time I am on vacation. I like being able to walk to a bus stop, and hop on a bus to the theme parks. I like Extra Magic Hours, and I like being able to have purchases delivered to my resort, so that I don't have to carry them around the parks.

I would have no problem staying off site again, and actually found a great rate on a trip we are hoping to make in the fall. But I was out-voted, and even if it costs a lot more, we are staying on site. For this trip, convenience wins out over savings.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I've done both. We stayed off property for the 2 trips we took when I was growing up, then again when my parents were footing the bill a few years ago. They have 6 kids, so staying on property is quite the cost.

I do prefer staying on property, but I expect at some point we'll end up favoring more time at Disney over staying on property.
As it is...DH has already decided that he wants to rent a car from now on, we don't save by using the dining plan, and we rarely use Extra Magic Hours, so the benefits of staying on property are definitely dwindling for us.

If we do stay off property in the future, it will be for the space at a lower cost.

Unfortunately, you're the only person who can decide what's worth it.
I just stayed at Port Orleans - French Quarter, and I felt as if it was lacking some "magic". It's just a matter of preference.
POFQ Apr 13-20 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

We have decided to stay at Reunion for 145 a night for 6nights. Three bedroom and 3 bath condo with amenities. We are five people. This will allow us to stay longer and do 5nights at the Poly.
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 16 DS 13 DD 11 Sebastian 5
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #9
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

You get lots more space for the money offsite plus privacy rather then everyone squashing into a hotel room. And often you can find ones with Disney themed kids rooms so no lack of Mickey Mouse. And villas with their own private pool are great too.

But onsite is convenient because you can come and go as you please rather then everyone having to go out in the morning and come back later in the same car (so say if I wanted to stay and watch the fireworks and everyone else wanted to go back, all of us would have to go back, rather then the others going back to the resort by bus and me coming back to the resort when I'm done) and it's just so..magical. We stayed 1 night onsite, and now I'm hooked!

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Missytara
I'm all ears!

My stepbrother and family stayed off-site the first year and did not "get" why I would spend so much money to stay at POR.

The second trip, I helped them snare FD at POP with QSDP - which was just their speed. They "got" it.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Less magic, scads more space. We love akv, stayed there in January. No embers trip we will have a 2 bedroom condo at silverlake, literally 5 minutes from akv for $229 for the week. Very pleasant place to stay. It just depends on the situation for us.

I can't imagine always having to stay on or off site. I'd much rather be flexible.

Lol. What kind of answer do you expect to get asking on the resort board?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #12
mejo
Mouseketeer

We have averaged going twice a year since 2000, twice we stayed offsite, once in 2000 and once in March. Both times we swore we would never stay offsite again, we hated it. The magic so so much a part of WDW and you just don't get it offsite. Onsite you are in the magic the entire stay, off site only while you are at the parks.

This though is only my opinion, some people don't feel the magic like I do.

mejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #13
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

This may fall under the Abe Lincoln quote: "Most folk are about as happy as they make up their minds to be." Either approach has pros and cons. I've done both, and now seem to usually go with a combo of both. Now that I'm retired and can spend more time travelling, and have a lot more experience with knowing how to budget my travel dollars (used to have to watch every penny, so could only stay off-site anyway), I've worked out ways to stay in the area longer -- a lot of it is by fixing most of my/our own food, which is healthier as well as a lot cheaper.

As noted already, only you can answer the question for yourself. We stayed next to WDW in a timeshare once (for DGS's 8th birthday) and did not even go to WDW on that trip (did other stuff, had a great time). I bought some DVC points because as I'm getting older, it will be handy for me to use WDW transport to get back and forth if others want to do other things than I will want to do. Staying on property is great, but so is off-site. There are ways to make your own magic.
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
clapton
Mouseketeer

Definitely on Disney property! The convenience is worth it!
clapton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
mamabug70
Amy L

I have done both several times. We are a family of four with two daughters 13 & 15. I usually stay on property when they offer the free dining because it makes the cost comparable to staying offsite. We stayed at AOA LK suites in October and while it had a great theme, the resort was very loud and crowded. We usually travel with family and booking a 2 or 3 bedroom at WDW is too expensive. This year we are staying at a timeshare just minutes from Animal Kingdom. We are booking a 4 bedroom for the 10 of us going and for 5 nights it will cost our 2 families $600 each. While there is some magic staying on property, I find it much more magical when the whole family can stay together in comfort. We have a washer and dryer, a kitchen, and a separate bedroom for the kids. We always rent a car anyway because each trip also includes Universal Studios and this year a cruise on the Dream! Whatever you decide, you will have a great time.. I have enjoyed each one of our annual trips regardless of where I stayed. Disney and family time together is a perfect combination!

1998 POFQ
1998 Boardwalk
1999-2007 yearly off property
2006 POP
2008 AKL-Jambo
2009 off property
2010 POR
2011 AKL-Kidani
2012 POFQ
2012 AOA Lion King Suite
mamabug70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread