Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #646
No user names left
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I would imagine that if you bought special discount cards for dining, you most likely will not be allowed more expensive substitutions---same price substitutions perhaps. I'd suggest just sticking with the designated choices where you use your discount card and just ordering something more healthy in the establishments that don't take the card.

Check out the menus at the restaurants that accept the cards and compare prices for what you are getting free with other stuff to see if it would be likely that the restaurants will let you do some switching.

For example: Chicken tenders at Nascar are $11.99 for the adult meal (kids would be cheaper) and grilled chicken is $14.49. It is unlikely that they would just substitute one for the other.
That's absolutely correct Damo - same price substitutions, we're not looking for anything more. Just anything other than fried food basically.
It's a pity that such big restaurants don't list alternatives.
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #647
No user names left
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
I don't know about those restaurants, but in general, most places sub out the kids fries with grapes/fruit or applesauce....not the more expensive sides like a baked potato.

I know Outback Steakhouse will give a veg...my son always gets broccoli!

I would be prepared to pay extra for specific sides. You could always ask...you never know, but I wouldn't go assuming that it will be done for free.

When my boys were younger, we often bought them an adult meal and they split it. Usually they were able to agree on what to eat, so it made it easier.

Have fun!
Thank you Shoney! No, I'm not going assuming it is done for free. I'm not assuming anything, that's why I'm asking. Broccoli is great. Rice. Whatever. The girls are 7, 5 and 2 so we could indeed split an adult meal. The problem with that is (as you probably know), by the time we divide it all up (and the restaurant has to get extra sets) and sit down again, our own food is lukewarm! We are in Europe and not used to not having any healthy option on a kids menu. I don't mean that comment to be disparaging in any way, we love Florida and this is our 3rd trip but 1st eating out (due to kids being so young previously).
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #648
damo
Proud Redhead
amok amok amok
The curly haired dude said he wouldn't be joining me this vacation!
 
damo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Hagrid's hut
Posts: 29,209

Quote:
Originally Posted by No user names left View Post
That's absolutely correct Damo - same price substitutions, we're not looking for anything more. Just anything other than fried food basically.
It's a pity that such big restaurants don't list alternatives.
I would imagine there is a pasta alternative in every kids' menu. You could probably do a basic pasta with meat sauce instead of the mac and cheese. Fries can probably be substituted with a veggie. I'm just not sure about switching the entree but remember that it is always worth asking.

Please report back to us when you come home. I'm sure you are not the only one with these questions.

Last edited by damo; 04-25-2013 at 09:49 AM.
damo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #649
Lynne G
DIS Veteran
 
Lynne G's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,372

Quote:
Originally Posted by No user names left View Post
Hello, we are leaving on Saturday for 3 weeks, and have a 2 week Universal unlimited ticket. Our party is 3 adults (including 1 teen) and 3 children, so we got the $15 'Kids Eat Free' cards, really because of the duration we'll be there. They will have paid for themselves on the 3rd sitting. We had planned to go to NBA City and NASCAR anyway (before we discovered these cards yesterday) bit neither child's menu is on-line. I called both restaurants and they listed the usual for the kid's menu;
- burger/chicken tender and fries
- pizza
- mac and cheese

Neither restaurant has a healthy option. Can anyone advise? Of the above menu choices, the children eat burgers and fries and none of the others. Even if they did, we wouldn't let them eat unhealthy food more than twice a week. They like good food. AND the occasional bad offering!! I kinda feel like a 2nd rate customer with the 'Kids Eat Free Card'. We will be eating at places that don't have this deal. Will all restaurants allow us to order something (of the restaurant's choice) that is healthy (per se)? Like pasta, baked potato, veg, grilled (not fried) chicken. Thank you!
I don't know if you can substitute or not. 2 years ago, I bought the card for my DD. It was not worth it, and I will not buy it again. We ended up eating at restaurants not accepting the card, and we were not allowed substitutions at the one McDonald's and Pastamore's kids meal was just plain aweful. I hope you have better luck. Maybe even if no substitutions you could order a side. Many times now that my DD is 11, if the adult meal is too much, she shares an appetizer and then gets a side salad. Have a great vacation. We like NBA and liked the food. Did not order a kid's meal there, though.
Lynne G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #650
shoney
DIS Veteran
 
shoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,367

Quote:
Originally Posted by No user names left View Post
Thank you Shoney! No, I'm not going assuming it is done for free. I'm not assuming anything, that's why I'm asking. Broccoli is great. Rice. Whatever. The girls are 7, 5 and 2 so we could indeed split an adult meal. The problem with that is (as you probably know), by the time we divide it all up (and the restaurant has to get extra sets) and sit down again, our own food is lukewarm! We are in Europe and not used to not having any healthy option on a kids menu. I don't mean that comment to be disparaging in any way, we love Florida and this is our 3rd trip but 1st eating out (due to kids being so young previously).
I'm sorry if you took "assume" in a negative way, it wasn't meant to be. I just was pointing out that the restaurant may "upcharge" for more expensive items.

You can get anything on the menu if you pay for it.

The kids entrees are set. They won't sub out a smaller portion of grilled chicken from the adult menu, for example. You will have more luck subbing the fries for another side. Some menus will have the other alternatives written in fine print on the bottom.

I never found splitting the meals to be time consuming. When they were young, we would have to cut meat and prepare their plates anyway. Some restaurants will split it in the kitchen others will just bring you an extra plate.

Depending on the restaurant and how much the kids eat... We also have just made a plate with our food and only ordered the kids drinks. Portions tend to be huge and I never finish what I eat at restaurant. At home, I bring it home with me to eat the next day. On vacation, it goes in the garbage!

I do agree...kids meals in the US really need to contain more variety and flavor. It is the same just about everywhere you go...hamburgers, hot dogs, mac n cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, pasta w/marinara or butter! It isn't so bad when you just go out at home. After a week on vacation, the kids get tired of the same old thing! I can't blame them!

Have a great vacation!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #651
No user names left
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo View Post
I would imagine there is a pasta alternative in every kids' menu. You could probably do a basic pasta with meat sauce instead of the mac and cheese. Fries can probably be substituted with a veggie. I'm just not sure about switching the entree but remember that it is always worth asking.

Please report back to us when you come home. I'm sure you are not the only one with these questions.
Pasta with a veg tomato sauce would be prefect, that option was not on the menus when I called. We're finding mac/cheese on most. Yes, will write back. Thanks again for all your help.
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #652
No user names left
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
I don't know if you can substitute or not. 2 years ago, I bought the card for my DD. It was not worth it, and I will not buy it again. We ended up eating at restaurants not accepting the card, and we were not allowed substitutions at the one McDonald's and Pastamore's kids meal was just plain aweful. I hope you have better luck. Maybe even if no substitutions you could order a side. Many times now that my DD is 11, if the adult meal is too much, she shares an appetizer and then gets a side salad. Have a great vacation. We like NBA and liked the food. Did not order a kid's meal there, though.
Thank you Lynne. I am tending to agree with you and have not even used the card yet! Yes, read about Pastamore. I find the adult meals HUGE at most places. Had looked at Margaritaville and was put off as the meals seemed too big. Your side idea is great, and the appetizer one too. Thank for that and your good wishes.
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #653
No user names left
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney View Post
I'm sorry if you took "assume" in a negative way, it wasn't meant to be. I just was pointing out that the restaurant may "upcharge" for more expensive items.

You can get anything on the menu if you pay for it.

The kids entrees are set. They won't sub out a smaller portion of grilled chicken from the adult menu, for example. You will have more luck subbing the fries for another side. Some menus will have the other alternatives written in fine print on the bottom.

I never found splitting the meals to be time consuming. When they were young, we would have to cut meat and prepare their plates anyway. Some restaurants will split it in the kitchen others will just bring you an extra plate.

Depending on the restaurant and how much the kids eat... We also have just made a plate with our food and only ordered the kids drinks. Portions tend to be huge and I never finish what I eat at restaurant. At home, I bring it home with me to eat the next day. On vacation, it goes in the garbage!

I do agree...kids meals in the US really need to contain more variety and flavor. It is the same just about everywhere you go...hamburgers, hot dogs, mac n cheese, pizza, chicken nuggets, pasta w/marinara or butter! It isn't so bad when you just go out at home. After a week on vacation, the kids get tired of the same old thing! I can't blame them!

Have a great vacation!
Thank you Shoney and apologies for my misinterpretation.

Thanks too for your reply again. We should have you at meal times in restaurants!

Would be happy with any all veg options. 3 weeks is a lot to be eating out and we will just want toast at the end of it!!
No user names left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #654
Portugal1000
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,161

Menu at Superstar Character Breakfast

Does anyone know whats on the menu at Superstar Character Breakfast. I know its served to you but can't find menu anywhere.
Thanks
__________________
Sep 05 - Homewood Suites, 14 Nights
Dec 06 - Palamino Suites, Fort Wilderness, 19 Nights
Dec 07 - Caribbean Beach, Homewood Suites, Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
Dec 08 - All Star Sports, Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Hilton Grand Vacations Sea World, 21 Nights
August 09 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 17 Nights
Nov 09 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 15 Nights
Dec 10 - Quality Suites,Wyndham Bonnet Creek, Homewood Suites, 18 Nights
August 2011 - Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, 19 Nights
July 2012 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 21 Nights - Hard Rock Hotel, 1 Night
July 2013 - Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 22 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific Hotel, 1 Night
August 2014 - Tradewinds Resort, 4 Nights - Universal Royal Pacific, 1 Night - Wyndham Bonnet Creek 18 Nights
Portugal1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #655
schumigirl
I`ve bought one of those for this year....it`s in fuscia pink though......You`ll be able to see me from the air
It`s a bit of a roodie doodie word for lady parts
 
schumigirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In purple happiness
Posts: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugal1000 View Post
Does anyone know whats on the menu at Superstar Character Breakfast. I know its served to you but can't find menu anywhere.
Thanks
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....eakfast&page=2

If you scroll half way down to post 27, there are some pictures of what`s on offer at the breakfast.
__________________
17 Nights At RPR---2013 Trip Report

SEPT 2007 2 WEEKS BUENA VISTA PALACE & HHN
SEPT 2008 2 WEEKS POFQ &HHN
AUG 2009 2 WEEKS RPR
OCT 2010 2 WEEKS RPR & HHN
AUG 2011 2 WEEKS RPR
JULY 2012 17 NIGHTS RPR
APRIL 2013 WEEK IN NEW YORK
SEPT 2013...17 NIGHTS RPR &HHN
MAY 2014.....2 WEEKS IN NEW YORK
SEPTEMBER 2014....18 NIGHTS RPR & HHN
schumigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #656
Threeboysandachickie
Make a Wish trip mommy
 
Threeboysandachickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 128

Are the mushroom specials still being prepared at Mythos? I'm seeing them on the menu posted on the main page and am not sure if they are,limited time dish or if they are a permanent addition, thanks
__________________
Holly and Tom parents to: Isaac 13 Noah ds 11 , Luke ds 10 (wish kiddo) , and Rebekah dd8

Visiting the darkside yearly since 2004
Staying onsite RPR or hrh
Threeboysandachickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #657
jack hannah bananah
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 694

Dining

Heading to Universal Studios in a couple weeks.
Staying on site.
Any suggestions for dining?
What are the best counter service meals?
What are the best sit down meals?
Do I need reservations?
jack hannah bananah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #658
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,360
DISboards Moderator

Moving into the food sticky.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:08 PM   #659
xApril
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 1,456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeboysandachickie View Post
Are the mushroom specials still being prepared at Mythos? I'm seeing them on the menu posted on the main page and am not sure if they are,limited time dish or if they are a permanent addition, thanks
Don't know if you still need this, but as far as I know, it's still there. I ate back in April and it was still the mushrooms.
xApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:50 AM   #660
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney
 
Metro West's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NW Orlando, FL
Posts: 44,360
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack hannah bananah View Post
Heading to Universal Studios in a couple weeks.
Staying on site.
Any suggestions for dining? Yes...you should dine.
What are the best counter service meals? Thunder Falls Terrace and Louie's
What are the best sit down meals? Mythos and Finnegan's
Do I need reservations? No but as an onsite guest you would get next available or priority seating at table service restaurants. Just show your room key. You can also make reservations on OpenTable if you prefer.
My answers in blue.

Read through the sticky...lots of good information.
__________________
**** Universal Orlando annual passholder since 2004! ****
Metro West is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
breakfasts, dining, food & beverage, smart visitors, universal, universal orlando, vegan, vegetarian



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: