Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #1081
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought for our one trip to WDW together she would spend the money.
What about cutting costs from somewhere else in the budget and paying the difference for them?

If it's about the money, thats an easy solution. If it is not about the money, and about not wanting to be engulfed in Disney, that's totally different.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #1082
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your thoughts. If we do what we want we would be at cr and if they did what they want they would be offsite
how do you compromise on that?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #1083
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
What about cutting costs from somewhere else in the budget and paying the difference for them?

If it's about the money, thats an easy solution. If it is not about the money, and about not wanting to be engulfed in Disney, that's totally different.
They can afford to spend the money so wouldnt take ours anyways.

who knew planning a trip with others would be so hard.

I am hoping when discounts are released she will come around. if not we will be offsite at bonnet creek.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #1084
princessap
DIS Veteran

I thought of doing some onsite and some offsite too but that seems like a pain to me. has anyone done that??
Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #1085
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
They can afford to spend the money so wouldnt take ours anyways.

who knew planning a trip with others would be so hard.

I am hoping when discounts are released she will come around. if not we will be offsite at bonnet creek.
Okay, you want honest opinions, so here it is. You say at one point "she doesn't want to spend that much", then later say it's because you "think she doesn't want to be immersed in disney all the time but won't say that."

What about other deluxe resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht Club). Similar pricing (maybe a bit cheaper), but more non-disney things to do within proximity. Still walk to parks (Hollyood Studios and Epcot) and can even take the monorail to Magic Kingdom if you want by walking through Epcot (although, usually takes longer than the bus).

Planning vacations with others isn't hard, until you try and convince others to do things they don't want to do. It doesn't matter why she doesn't want to, she doesn't want to. It seems like you have broken it down to where she will do something she doesn't want to do (stay at CR), or you will do something you don't want to do (stay off-site) when there are plausible solutions where you can both get what you want.

This is her vacation and her money (or at least their money) just as it is your vacation and your money. Appreciate her wishes just as you want her to appreciate yours. Now, if she says she isn't staying at CR, then gets mad if you want to stay somewhere else, there is nothing you can do about that, but that's her problem.

For your sake, I hope she decides staying at CR is the best decision for all, but I think the key to group vacations is that each group does what's best for them. There is always compromise, but giving in when others do not cave to your expectations and doing the same for them isn't compromising.

Good luck, I hope it all works out and you have the vacation of your dreams.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 AM   #1086
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, we all handle obstacles in out own way, but I wouldn't let it upset me. Regardless of her reason, she doesn't want to. If you start a Disney vacation by forcing people to do something they don't want, I wouldn't expect the trip to go any different.

You have the opportunity and ability to book where you want to, so if you would enjoy it more, book where you want. No reason to try and fit a square peg in a round hole. Just adapt and move on. If it creates a little more hassle dropping the kids off and picking them up after a night out, make changes, adapt and move on.

In my opinion, wasting energy in trying to make people fall in line with what you want to do and see things your way rather than making your situation the best it can possibly be is exhausting.

I hope it all works out for you, but remember, in the end the decision and the outcome of your trip rests with you. Our vacations shouldn't be defined by the the things that happen (good or bad), but rather how we react to them. That's the only thing we can control.

Quote:
Okay, you want honest opinions, so here it is. You say at one point "she doesn't want to spend that much", then later say it's because you "think she doesn't want to be immersed in disney all the time but won't say that."

What about other deluxe resorts (Boardwalk, Yacht Club). Similar pricing (maybe a bit cheaper), but more non-disney things to do within proximity. Still walk to parks (Hollyood Studios and Epcot) and can even take the monorail to Magic Kingdom if you want by walking through Epcot (although, usually takes longer than the bus).

Planning vacations with others isn't hard, until you try and convince others to do things they don't want to do. It doesn't matter why she doesn't want to, she doesn't want to. It seems like you have broken it down to where she will do something she doesn't want to do (stay at CR), or you will do something you don't want to do (stay off-site) when there are plausible solutions where you can both get what you want.

This is her vacation and her money (or at least their money) just as it is your vacation and your money. Appreciate her wishes just as you want her to appreciate yours. Now, if she says she isn't staying at CR, then gets mad if you want to stay somewhere else, there is nothing you can do about that, but that's her problem.

For your sake, I hope she decides staying at CR is the best decision for all, but I think the key to group vacations is that each group does what's best for them. There is always compromise, but giving in when others do not cave to your expectations and doing the same for them isn't compromising.

Good luck, I hope it all works out and you have the vacation of your dreams.
wow.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #1087
princessap
DIS Veteran

I realize it is their money and I get they want a vacation too. the whole point of them coming is to watch the girls at MK. it was their suggestion to join us. My husband and I dont want to stay someone not on the monorail or we will go offsite. to us taking the buses etc is the same as packing up our car and driving there (thats our feelings). I assumed they would book blt with their points and then we would be in the tower and close enough to each other.

I wanted honest opinions yes, but sometimes it is hard to interpret on forums and felt a little attacked on that last post.

It has been our plan to stay at CR and I guess I feel like I shouldnt have to change my plans. Initially I asked if we would be happy in Garden wing.

They have never been to wdw before and maybe it will take some sitting down and explaining to them of how big it is. Another person suggested showing them a map and i think i will do that.

She has said it is expensive at disney before and when they offered to come with us I assumed she knew that already from her previous comments.

Maybe we should each do our own thing and just meet up at parks and dinners?!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #1088
princessap
DIS Veteran

We had already planned to stay onsite at the CR so when they asked to come I assumed it meant they would join us there. Like I said my dh and I only want to stay at monorail resorts for the convenience of transportation. If we stayed at another resort and used buses to get to MK it just feels like for us anyways it would be the same as being at bonnet creek.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:32 AM   #1089
princessap
DIS Veteran

Sorry to derail this thread. LOL. was asking if we would be disappointed in garden wing and it spread. So I apologize for that!

Mickeynut1....have you booked yet?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #1090
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I realize it is their money and I get they want a vacation too. the whole point of them coming is to watch the girls at MK. it was their suggestion to join us. My husband and I dont want to stay someone not on the monorail or we will go offsite. to us taking the buses etc is the same as packing up our car and driving there (thats our feelings). I assumed they would book blt with their points and then we would be in the tower and close enough to each other.

I wanted honest opinions yes, but sometimes it is hard to interpret on forums and felt a little attacked on that last post.

It has been our plan to stay at CR and I guess I feel like I shouldnt have to change my plans. Initially I asked if we would be happy in Garden wing.

They have never been to wdw before and maybe it will take some sitting down and explaining to them of how big it is. Another person suggested showing them a map and i think i will do that.

She has said it is expensive at disney before and when they offered to come with us I assumed she knew that already from her previous comments.

Maybe we should each do our own thing and just meet up at parks and dinners?!
I think unless you have your heart set on staying in the tower you will be happy in the GW. The Rooms are the same and you are a short walk to the monorail, and can always watch the fireworks from the beach.

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
Old 04-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #1091
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
felt a little attacked on that last post.

I'm sure it reads/sounded harsh, so I apologize, but I am trying to break it down as simple as possible. I'm trying to tread a fine line between reinforcing that both of your wishes and wants are important, but that neither are more important than the others. The why's as to why they are important isn't the main point.

I understand why you want to stay at CR, but with four parks, whether you stay at CR or Boardwalk, you're taking busses to two of the parks. If you stay at CR, you're bussing it to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. If you stay at Boardwalk, you're bussing it to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. BUT, that's my opinion and you don't have to agree.

It seems you're heart is set on CR, so stay there, enjoy it. Give them the details and let them make their decision, but take your vacation and if they can come along and assist, great. If not, no biggie.

Another option might be to rent points from a DVC owner. Have you tried looking into David's DVC? With a group your size, you can rent a two bedroom villa at Bay Lake and save tons of money.

We recently booked a two bedroom villa at Bay Lake (including a double sofa sleeper and an additional chair that converts into a twin bed) for about $4,400 for 9 days/8 nights.

Quote:
Maybe we should each do our own thing and just meet up at parks and dinners?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:23 AM   #1092
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure it reads/sounded harsh, so I apologize, but I am trying to break it down as simple as possible. I'm trying to tread a fine line between reinforcing that both of your wishes and wants are important, but that neither are more important than the others. The why's as to why they are important isn't the main point.

I understand why you want to stay at CR, but with four parks, whether you stay at CR or Boardwalk, you're taking busses to two of the parks. If you stay at CR, you're bussing it to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. If you stay at Boardwalk, you're bussing it to Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. BUT, that's my opinion and you don't have to agree.

It seems you're heart is set on CR, so stay there, enjoy it. Give them the details and let them make their decision, but take your vacation and if they can come along and assist, great. If not, no biggie.

Another option might be to rent points from a DVC owner. Have you tried looking into David's DVC? With a group your size, you can rent a two bedroom villa at Bay Lake and save tons of money.

We recently booked a two bedroom villa at Bay Lake (including a double sofa sleeper and an additional chair that converts into a twin bed) for about $4,400 for 9 days/8 nights.

That is the thing....they have points and could use them to stay at BLT but she won't and I don't know why. She keeps saying she wants to save them. But for what I am not sure. She has 250 to use before the end of the year or else she loses them. My fil offered for us to use them with her and she said no?!?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #1093
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs314 View Post
I think unless you have your heart set on staying in the tower you will be happy in the GW. The Rooms are the same and you are a short walk to the monorail, and can always watch the fireworks from the beach.
Can you watch them from the beach at the cr? I was told by a CM that you can't see the castle from the beach?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #1094
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

There are observation decks at both BLT and CR where you can watch wishes with a view of the Castle if the castle is not visible from the beach.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:43 AM   #1095
closetmickey
DIS Veteran

Can you try to sell her on the fact that CR is seen by many as the least "Disney" of all the Disney properties? I have never stayed at the CR but am this August! I usually take my girls on my own, but this trip we will be with DH and 4 other families. None of them a Disney nut like myself. I used that angle and it worked! And I know that the rooms will be so pleasing to them...because they aren't "screaming Mickey." Just a thought.

Oh....and we are in the GW. For the savings, I didn't even give it a second thought!

4/14- 7nt Eastern on the FANTASY! 11/13- Weekend at DLR and stay at Disneyland Hotel
8/13- CR at WDW/ 4nt Cruise on DREAM! 6/12- Poly/POR Split Stay at WDW
8/11- DLR and stay at Grand Californian 1/11- 2 night Cruise to Nowhere on WONDER
10/10- DLR/ Mickey's Halloween Party and stay at Paradise Pier
2/10- WDW and a Week stay at the AKL 2/10- 4 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
6/09- DLR- Stay at Paradise Pier 4/09- DLR/ Club 33- Stay at Disneyland Hotel
10/08- Halloween Party at DCA 3/08- 3 Night Bahamas Cruise on DCL WONDER
2/08- WDW and stay at The Beach Club 10/07- Halloween Party at DCA and stay at GCH
Other trips to DLR- too many to count since 1969
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: