Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
DisneyTravelers2008
Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)

Well, even though I have never been to ESPN, the Big River Grill was so bad, I would say go with ESPN....

If it were me, I'd got to Epcot and have some quick service in the World Showcase [if park admission was not an issue]...

Good luck

Spring Break 1988/ Spring Break 1993/Ft Wilderness Cabins 2008 /SSR, 1st DVC Member Trip/2009
OKW, Spring Break 2009/SSR June 2009/AKL January 2010/AKL & BLT Halloween 2010 /Spring Break 2011 - Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort/June 2011 - & BLT & BW /AKL, Spring Break 2012 / Disney Dream Jan. 2014
DisneyTravelers2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #17
MinnieLee
DIS Veteran

DH loves the burgers (and the beer) at BRG. We were at ESPN this past November (he wanted to see the Giants game) and it was fine but still favored Big River.

MinnieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
bballmom56
DIS Veteran

We have enjoyed them both.
bballmom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #19
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Miracles View Post
Was planning on going to ESPN for Lunch but I came across Big River Grille?? Any thoughts on who has Better Food??
*For us* we like Big River Grille. In fact as DVC owners at BCV, it's a must-do every trip for us. We don't set foot in ESPN. ( I guess not because of the food though, but because we're not into the "sports bars" feel there )

xipetotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpersWorld View Post
Big River Grille. It is great too if you can get outdoor seating right on the Boardwalk.
absolutely true
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #21
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post
*For us* we like Big River Grille. In fact as DVC owners at BCV, it's a must-do every trip for us. We don't set foot in ESPN. ( I guess not because of the food though, but because we're not into the "sports bars" feel there )
We enjoy sports bars, but there is nothing for my vegetarian DD to eat at the ESPN Club. We went with some friends in December and we had to beg for plain pasta for my DD. Honestly, it was "touch and go" whether they would do it for us and then they charged us $15 for the pleasure . We are owners at BWV and I don't think we'll be back there unless there is a game we want to watch. Big River Grill, OTOH, has plenty for my DD to eat and more than just burgers, wings and fries for my DH and I. Given the choice again, I would choose Big River.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #22
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
We enjoy sports bars, but there is nothing for my vegetarian DD to eat at the ESPN Club. We went with some friends in December and we had to beg for plain pasta for my DD. Honestly, it was "touch and go" whether they would do it for us and then they charged us $15 for the pleasure . We are owners at BWV and I don't think we'll be back there unless there is a game we want to watch. Big River Grill, OTOH, has plenty for my DD to eat and more than just burgers, wings and fries for my DH and I. Given the choice again, I would choose Big River.
This is a good point on variety. When we go, we are always a big group. Ranging in age from anywhere between 5-65. Everyone finds something there they like. And as someone else mentioned, seating right on the boardwalk cannot be beat!

Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #23
nkereina
Wendy Darling

We like ESPN. Good food and a fun atmosphere if there's a good sporting event on. You also don't need an ADR.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #24
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
We like ESPN. Good food and a fun atmosphere if there's a good sporting event on. You also don't need an ADR.
No ADRs needed for Big River Grille... Most we have ever waited for a table was like 10 mins... The buzzers work in the shop next door too.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #25
JanB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride View Post

No ADRs needed for Big River Grille... Most we have ever waited for a table was like 10 mins... The buzzers work in the shop next door too.
Actually, Big River Grille doesn't even take ADRs. At least that's what I was told a month or so ago.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #26
winthropf
Mouseketeer

It can depend on the day of the week. If sporting events like football or sports playoffs are going on, it will probably be less crowded at Big River.
winthropf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #27
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickkypoo View Post
We really liked The Big River Grille. The hazelnut nchicken was fantastic!
I love that too. But w/o the sauce. IMO ESPN is a place with decent food and you can hang around for a while. BRG is a place with pretty good food ( love the nachos) but I feel like it is a more eat and leave place. Not that I have ever felt like I was rushed out exactly, but at ESPN with the TVs I just feel like I can linger if I want to. We go to both just about every time! The menu is bigger at ESPN. But not necessarily better! Neither place takes reservations but if you get a BR rewards card you can get front of the line priority seating. Plus birthday rewards.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #28
xipetotec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanB View Post
Actually, Big River Grille doesn't even take ADRs. At least that's what I was told a month or so ago.
No, but on the actual day, you can call ahead and make reservations.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM   #29
JanB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xipetotec View Post

No, but on the actual day, you can call ahead and make reservations.
That's good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #30
sharadoc
Visiting Disney World since 1986, happily driving every trip since 1994.

We've done both and we are okay with them. We prefer the outdoor seating and the Red Rocket Ale at Big River Grille. The kids meals are really good too. ESPN is a little busier and can be noisy and distracting with all the giant TV screens. I think the food is fine, but nothing special or different from what you can get anywhere. At least at BRG there's some atmosphere there. It's one of our favorite things to do at dusk, either dinner or drinks and snacks. Yacht and Beach Club are just getting lit up across the water, Spaceship Earth is off on the horizon, and the fun lights are strung all across the Boardwalk. Makes me wish I was sitting there right now.

Watch Osborne Lights 2013 Winter Wonderland! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcF2eEkqtWk

6X POFQ; 3X ASMu FS, FW cabin; 2x BWV, OKW; 1X BCV, YC, CR-TPV, SSR plus many offsite in the 80's
sharadoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: