Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #76
Duxy68
Earning My Ears

Hiya were goin a Duxfields family trip on this very cruise. Is it very disneyfied ? Do you get the same atmosphere like the parks ?
Duxy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #77
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Hello everyone, we're a family of four from Waco, Texas: Myself, dh Paul and dd16 Stephanie and dd13 Rachel. My FIL David and MIL Norene from California with their son Brian who is an adult with Downs.

My inlaws have done a DCL Med cruise before a couple of years ago. They are big cruise fans and we're lucky enough that they take us along.

Last year we went on the Fantasy. Rachel LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Edge and spent as much time there as possible. Stephanie, on the other hand, was glued to my side and would not go to the teen club. I would love it if she would and I know she'd enjoy it, but other than having a couple of teen girls come and kidnap her and take her there, I don't see it happening. <sigh>

We are leaving Dallas on Aug. 6 and arrive in Barcelona on the following day for three nights. We plan to go to Sagrada Familia and walk on Las Ramblas, but other than that, I've got a bunch of things I'd like to do... it's all jumbled inside my head.

We have a reservation with Ingrid for Villafranche as she was highly recommended on Cruise Critic. It's so easy to go with the ship excursions and of course the added security of knowing the ship must wait for you. (We've a couple of times on other cruises where that has come in very handy.) But seeing the DCL excursions costs about $200 each for four of us, it's just not feasible. I read a thread from a woman with her friend and their daughters who did all DIY Med excursions and that really got to thinking how we can save money.

It would be nice if we DIYers could meet up to walk to the train stations, etc. I don't know if my inlaws will want to do DIY because of some limitations with their son as far as walking, bathroom breaks, etc.

JoAnn
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #78
CBEB
We're ready to do it again!
So far, we've managed to sprinkle lots of pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
Hello everyone, we're a family of four from Waco, Texas: Myself, dh Paul and dd16 Stephanie and dd13 Rachel. My FIL David and MIL Norene from California with their son Brian who is an adult with Downs.

My inlaws have done a DCL Med cruise before a couple of years ago. They are big cruise fans and we're lucky enough that they take us along.

Last year we went on the Fantasy. Rachel LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the Edge and spent as much time there as possible. Stephanie, on the other hand, was glued to my side and would not go to the teen club. I would love it if she would and I know she'd enjoy it, but other than having a couple of teen girls come and kidnap her and take her there, I don't see it happening. <sigh>

We are leaving Dallas on Aug. 6 and arrive in Barcelona on the following day for three nights. We plan to go to Sagrada Familia and walk on Las Ramblas, but other than that, I've got a bunch of things I'd like to do... it's all jumbled inside my head.

JoAnn
Welcome! We too have a DD16 that sticks to us like glue because she's a bit shy. If we can connect these two together, maybe they'll hang out on the ship together! When she was younger, we had no problem getting her into the kids clubs - as soon as she hit middle school, she's not been willing to go unless she knew someone.

We leave Dallas the day after you and are staying at the Renaissance (one of the Disney-designated hotels). If you can think of a way to have the girls meet, we're all for it!
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
CBEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #79
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

I looked at the schedule of ships in port on August 14 on www.cruisett.com when we are in Civitavecchia and there are five ships, a total of more than 14,000 people! That's a lot of people scurrying about to get on trains and buses.

I printed out the guide from www.tomsportguides.com and he mentioned when there were that many people in port at once in May 2010, his cruiseline (Princess) announced there could be a 4-6 hour wait for taxis and trains were so crowded they would not pick up passengers. Yikes!

I also searched youtube for some videos on exactly how to get from the ship to the train and into Rome. I think I'm obsessing....

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 AM   #80
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

I am leaning toward this tour company for Rome and/or Naples-Pompeii. Anyone else thinking of using them?

http://cantbemissedtours.com/

It seems to be a good compromise between DIY and taking a ship excursion.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #81
GreenAcres
I'm not from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.

We booked Can't be Missed Tours for two ports based on Rick Steve's guides. They were so nice and easy to book, we wish they were available for tours from La Spezia.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #82
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAcres View Post
We booked Can't be Missed Tours for two ports based on Rick Steve's guides. They were so nice and easy to book, we wish they were available for tours from La Spezia.
Are you also getting tickets for the Colosseum and the Vatican/Sistine Chapel? Ruins of Pompeii?

Actually, I'm set to book, just waiting to hear from my inlaws.

Just looked at their website and Aug. 14 and 15 are not available. Sent them an email -- hope we can work it out!

Last edited by texasgirl29; 04-23-2013 at 05:53 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-24-2013, 10:05 PM   #83
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

All set for the Can't Be Missed Tours!

Aug. 14 - Rome with Vatican
Aug. 15 - Naples -> Pompeii -> Amalfi Coast

Old 04-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #84
GreenAcres
I'm not from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.

Quote:
All set for the Can't Be Missed Tours!

Aug. 14 - Rome with Vatican
Aug. 15 - Naples -> Pompeii -> Amalfi Coast
I guess we will see you there!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #85
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Can't Be Missed Tours is on Facebook -- today they posted a lot of photos of the Naples -> Pompeii -> Amalfi tour. I'm loving the photos!

Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 AM   #86
CBEB

Booked our Palo Brunch last night! We've got our cruise excursions taken care of, but really need to get on the stick and plan our couple of days in Barcelona. We're leaning toward Barcelona Day Tours as they seem to get good reviews.

Now that we're getting closer, what about FE participants? This is a favorite thing for us to do, so hoping that some of you will want to particpate??
, Hilton Head 2000, WDW 2002 Wilderness Lodge, DCL 2003 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2004 7-Day Eastern, DCL 2005 7-Day Western, DCL 2006 7-Day Western, WDW 2007 Caribbean Beach, DCL 2008 15-Day WB Repo, DCL 2009 7-Day Tortola, DCL 2011 5-Day DREAM, DCL/ABD 2011 7-Day Alaska, ABD/HKDL 2012 12-Day China, Aulani 2014
Old 04-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #87
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB View Post
Booked our Palo Brunch last night!

Now that we're getting closer, what about FE participants? This is a favorite thing for us to do, so hoping that some of you will want to particpate??
How have you booked Palo already? We are Castaway Club members but can't book until May 12. We've done dinner before a couple of times; I want to try for brunch.

I not done FE, wondering what kinds of gifts have you done or heard about in the past?

I decorated our door on the Fantasy last summer. I'm looking for a few ideas to do some new magnets.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #88
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

I found a thread about FE's -- sounds sort of complicated! But one of the posts recommended looking at Pintrest -- so I searched "Fish Extender Gifts" and whoa! --- tons of stuff.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #89
CBEB

Quote:
How have you booked Palo already? We are Castaway Club members but can't book until May 12. We've done dinner before a couple of times; I want to try for brunch.

I not done FE, wondering what kinds of gifts have you done or heard about in the past?

I decorated our door on the Fantasy last summer. I'm looking for a few ideas to do some new magnets.
Since we're Castaway Club Gold, we got to start online booking last Saturday. We love love LOVE Palo Brunch and highly recommend it! Dinner is awesome as well, but we opted not to do it this time as it would leave Lizzie on her own for dinner. She's always sleeping late on sea days so brunch is not an issue!

FE's are very easy and do not require a lot of creative skill. Sure, some people get it into their gift creating in a big way. But our favorite is to find candy or small magnets in our FE! Really, the fun is checking your FE when you return to the stateroom and finding silly little surprises in there - even a piece of candy!

We also do magnets for the door - I'll have to dig up some pics from past cruises!
Old 05-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #90
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBEB View Post
Since we're Castaway Club Gold, we got to start online booking last Saturday. We love love LOVE Palo Brunch and highly recommend it!

FE's are very easy and do not require a lot of creative skill.
We've done Palo twice for dinner. Too bad there's no chocolate souffle at brunch.

There is a Facebook page for FE's -- and people mention bringing suitcases full of stuff! Really cute ideas.... in fact, I might borrow some of these concepts for other things.... but no way I can bring 100s of doo-dads!

I'm asking for a new carry-on suitcase for Mother's Day and I'm planning to just bring that and a tote back or small backpack.

JoAnn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: