Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderlustNZ View Post
Thanks for the feedback
I think my son will love T-Rex, but I am worried about the noise levels.
It is TRULY loud. I thought Rainforest Cafe was bad, but Trex was beyond what we expected. We were in the "herbivore dinosaur" room (not sure what they called it, but that's what got my son through it...that the dinos in the room with us wouldn't be interested in eating us if they came to life) and we could barely talk or hear.

Quote:
Sci-Fi Diner - would like to sit in a car.
We were walk-ins for Sci Fi. It was explained to us that the facing-forward cars were reserved for people with ADRs. Those cars are truly like cars with tables in front of the seats. You will sit side by side. If you have too many people for one row, the rest of your party will be in front of or behind you.

We were given a choice of tables. One type was at the FAR back that looked like tables at a drive-in, the ones that would be back near the food service areas that you might sit in instead of eating in your car. The other choice is what we took. It's a "car" that faces forward, but between the front part and the back part (which are separated) there are two proper tables. We sat our party of 8 at the two tables; we were able to face each other and talk and enjoy our time together, and we were seated in a form of a car.

If we wanted to eat there again, we would want THAT one again. I don't want to be squished in a row with hubby and son, or make a choice of who gets to sit alone, in the cars that MOST people talk about when they talk about Sci Fi.

That was a seriously long-winded response to ONE part of your question, but I hope it helps in some way.

FWIW, not *everyone* wants a window view at Sanaa. We've dined there twice and haven't put in any requests yet.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post

It is TRULY loud. I thought Rainforest Cafe was bad, but Trex was beyond what we expected. We were in the "herbivore dinosaur" room (not sure what they called it, but that's what got my son through it...that the dinos in the room with us wouldn't be interested in eating us if they came to life) and we could barely talk or hear.

We were walk-ins for Sci Fi. It was explained to us that the facing-forward cars were reserved for people with ADRs. Those cars are truly like cars with tables in front of the seats. You will sit side by side. If you have too many people for one row, the rest of your party will be in front of or behind you.

We were given a choice of tables. One type was at the FAR back that looked like tables at a drive-in, the ones that would be back near the food service areas that you might sit in instead of eating in your car. The other choice is what we took. It's a "car" that faces forward, but between the front part and the back part (which are separated) there are two proper tables. We sat our party of 8 at the two tables; we were able to face each other and talk and enjoy our time together, and we were seated in a form of a car.

If we wanted to eat there again, we would want THAT one again. I don't want to be squished in a row with hubby and son, or make a choice of who gets to sit alone, in the cars that MOST people talk about when they talk about Sci Fi.

That was a seriously long-winded response to ONE part of your question, but I hope it helps in some way.

FWIW, not *everyone* wants a window view at Sanaa. We've dined there twice and haven't put in any requests yet.
Oh no, your poor son. It never occurred to me that some kids might find it scary.
I was watching a You Tube video of T-Rex yesterday and thinking that it seemed so loud I might cancel the reservation. Right then my son walked in, watched the video with me and commented "Wow, that looks so cool. Can we go eat there."
I think we will play the noise by ear when we walk in. If it seems really bad we might just order a appetizer then go to Wolfgang Pucks or Earl of Sandwich later on. I'm happy to give it a try for my son's sake.

Thanks for the feedback about Sci-Fi and Sanaa. Those sci-fi tables sound great. I'll just be happy if we get a car (any car), but it's interesting to hear about the wide variety of seating in this restaurant.

I'm going to cross my fingers that the night I eat at Sanaa there are a whole lot of others like you who don't mind if they're not at the window. Although going by what RustyScupper said, it sounds like people's preferences have no bearing on where they sit anyway. Shame really.

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #18
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

We had a dinner ADR at San Angel last week. DD really wanted to sit near the water so I stopped by the podium earlier in the day and asked what was the best way to have a shot at that. The manager told me to get there 15 minutes before our reservation time and put the request in at the podium.

That's what we did and the CM at the podium said he needed to talk to his manager. We waited off to the side and noticed that the CM never talked to the manager and basically a minute later they called our name and seated us in the furthest row from the water. I mentioned to the seater that the podium CM was supposed to be checking about a waterside table (I could see that there were two available) so she brought us back up front. We waited for a bit more and the manager (different from the one I spoke to earlier) came over and was basically very, umm, abrupt with me. He said that everyone wants a water table and he really couldn't even give us any sort of timeframe when one would be available. He showed us on his tablet that the longest seated table was at just about an hour but added, "that really means nothing because sometimes people stay for 2 to 3 hours." We ended up opting leave. Not because the water table was a dealbreaker, but the way he spoke with us rubbed me the wrong way. I get it that it's just a request an all that, but there's a nice way of saying things.

Planning a "super-secret" October F&WF weekend!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina

Last edited by LittleStinkerbelle; 04-24-2013 at 03:36 PM.
LittleStinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:54 PM   #19
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStinkerbelle View Post
We had a dinner ADR at San Angel last week. DD really wanted to sit near the water so I stopped by the podium earlier in the day and asked what was the best way to have a shot at that. The manager told me to get there 15 minutes before our reservation time and put the request in at the podium.

That's what we did and the CM at the podium said he needed to talk to his manager. We waited off to the side and noticed that the CM never talked to the manager and basically a minute later they called our name and seated us in the furthest row from the water. I mentioned to the seater that the podium CM was supposed to be checking about a waterside table (I could see that there were two available) so she brought us back up front. We waited for a bit more and the manager (different from the one I spoke to earlier) came over and was basically very, umm, abrupt with me. He said that everyone wants a water table and he really couldn't even give us any sort of timeframe when one would be available. He showed us on his tablet that the longest seated table was at just about an hour but added, "that really means nothing because sometimes people stay for 2 to 3 hours." We ended up opting leave. Not because the water table was a dealbreaker, but the way he spoke with us rubbed me the wrong way. I get it that it's just a request an all that, but there's a nice way of saying things.
That's awful. I would have left as well if I'd been spoken to like this.

The fact that you were seated at a table a long way from the water is consistent with RustyScuppers comment about the computer just picking where you sit. But it also sounds like there are a few CM's that are still trying to acknowledge requests.

I've made my reservations as early as possible for Sanaa and San Angel as these are the two that are most important to me. I'm going to really cross my fingers for these two and then for all the others - just be grateful that I'm dining in Disney at all.

There's so much planning that can be done when organising a trip to Disney, that I guess it's easy to get too focused on the smaller details. I need to remind myself more often that even if I get stuck in the worst table in the darkest corner, I will still be happy because I'm on a wonderful holiday

WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: