Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
TheLouCrew
Earning My Ears

DHS Expansion - "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast"

For the DHS Expansion, has there been any rumors about discontinuing "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast" live performances? I know those shows have a lot of tenure, especially with the movies being so popular and being a part of the Disney Renaissance. But, those shows (by themselves) have been around for 20 years. Couldn't they be replaced with other live (and interactive) shows, similar to Muppet*Vision or Sounds Danergous?
TheLouCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

Sounds dangerous is never Open! It is the empty space that needs to have something done to it.

Until Disney does another Musical of some sort I don't see Little Mermaid or Beauty & the Beast going anywhere. The only thing I see possibly happening is maybe bringing the Broadway 'Mary Poppins' in for a limited run at the B&B theater.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I think disney is not looking to touch any of those shows at the moment. DHS needs rides and an expansion they are definitely not looking to do away with those shows at this point in time.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

rteetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
CtinaDitty
Disney Fanatic

They could always bring back The Hunchback of Notre Dame and I'd be happy.
CtinaDitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
darrius1st
Mouseketeer

They need a great coaster based on a great Disney Action movie. It all getting to the point of been there done that.
2006-Comfort Suites Universal-2008- Magical Memories-2009-Harbour Lake-2010-Bonnet Creek-Summer 2011-Bonnet Creek and Westgate Lakes-June 2012-Sheraton Vistana Villages-July 2013-The Fountains and Bonnet Creek

darrius1st is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 AM   #6
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I actually felt that both Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast were pretty disappointing @ DHS. The quality of Festival of the Lion King, and particularly Finding Nemo : The Musical have spoiled me for these attractions.

I feel like the story edits that both went through to be sloppy. I understand the requirement for shortening the stories so that they can do more shows per day, but neither story really makes a lot of sense in the edited form.

I'd love to see either show refreshed or even cycled in and out.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #7
dcibrando
DIS Veteran

1 word - Tangled
dcibrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
jamarmiller
Mouseketeer

Saw both of these for the first time and LOVED THEM, hope they dont get canned

DHS needs Cars Land and Star Wars Land to make it a must do for me

id like them to keep pretty much everything else they have there as is, other than the ares needed for Star Wars Land and Cars Land ( backlot tour and light motors stunt show and the are around Indy Jones )
jamarmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
moviefreak78
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcibrando View Post
1 word - Tangled
I agree...while I love B&tB, seeing Tangled on stage would be awesome! The movie was made just asking to be adapted for the stage!

Crossing my fingers for a Thanksgiving trip this year!
moviefreak78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

There were some rumors for a while of B&TB being replaced by a Tangled stage-show. While this is not impossible, I would not say that the rumors were particularly strong, so right now there is no certainty. (This mostly came out during broad - park-wide change rumors going around back about 5 months ago.)

The VotLM show has not gone through the rumor mill, but in my view needs an update much worse than B&tB.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I actually felt that both Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast were pretty disappointing @ DHS. The quality of Festival of the Lion King, and particularly Finding Nemo : The Musical have spoiled me for these attractions.

I feel like the story edits that both went through to be sloppy. I understand the requirement for shortening the stories so that they can do more shows per day, but neither story really makes a lot of sense in the edited form.

I'd love to see either show refreshed or even cycled in and out.
Very interesting!!

We've never seen B&TB movie and my kids have never seen LM movie (I did 20+ years ago). They think those performances ARE the full story and they enjoy them.

I'd love to see a Tangled show. We all live that movie!
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #12
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2n2 View Post
Very interesting!!

We've never seen B&TB movie and my kids have never seen LM movie (I did 20+ years ago). They think those performances ARE the full story and they enjoy them.

I'd love to see a Tangled show. We all live that movie!
Renting these films must happen soon.
They are soooooo good.

I honestly don't remember the ins and outs of what was missing (I remember Maurice isn't part of B&TB) but the edits did not allow rationale for characters to do what they do or go where they go.

I'd have to see the shows again to really point out the shortcomings, and that's unlikely to happen.

Suffice it to say, I think they could adapt both more effectively by taking notes from the superior DAK shows.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
mvk
Mouseketeer

I would prefer them to keep B&TB, I think it is such a great show, for a park attraction musical. Not too long, but still the story is pretty much told and all the high points/classic songs are hit upon. They could do a better job keeping the audience cool though, maybe more fans or creating some more airflow somehow. It gets really hot in there in the summer.

Little Mermaid was just okay to me, though that is a very good movie. I think replacing that with Tangled would be just fine. Maybe at some point they can re-work the show and find space in The Seas at Epcot. Just trying to think real quick, is there a live stage/musical type show at Epcot at this point?

These shows, and FotLK and Nemo at Animal Kingdom are a real treat, and add a great deal of entertainment to those parks (along with Muppets 3D/Bugs Life). If you're not attending these shows, you are missing out on a great deal of the park experience, I think, and it's a major reason why people think these are half days parks at most.

Not everything has to be a thrill ride to be enjoyable/entertaining.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #14
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

I find the shows have long worn out thier welcome. They need some new material there

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #15
WrenMatilda
Earning My Ears

I wouldn't be opposed to some fresh material, so long as it was in keeping the live performance tradition of LM and BaTB. Tangled sounds perfect!

WrenMatilda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dhs live performances

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: