Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
The freezing up... when the screen says busy the camera is exactly that, busy. You shouldn't turn it off when it does this. It could be a card write issue. You could be filling your buffer. Or it could be happening because of the type of exposures you're making. So what are you shooting when it does this?

The 60D from the XSi would be a gain in ISO, but what is it about your current camera that you don't like? What do you hope to gain from a new body?

My camera just gets busy all the time. If I take 20 pictures in a short period of time it will freeze up.

I am interested in updating my camera. The 60D shoots movies, has and a flip out screen, which my XSI doesn't. It also has a longer battery life, higher pixels, it shoots faster, higher ISO & has a faster shutter speed. It's rated very well.

What kind of camera do you have? Do you have a 60D? Have you ever had your camera get busy after taking too many pictures in a short period of time?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #17
nbaresejr
Mouseketeer

There as sooo many reasons to upgrade
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EO...ital_Rebel_XTi

If you have the correct class 6 or higher memory cards there is no way your camera should freeze up as much as you are describing.

I do agree with the others that if you can hold out a little while longer when the 70D is announced the 60d should see some better sales.

Best of luck with your decision.
nbaresejr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandee23 View Post
My camera just gets busy all the time. If I take 20 pictures in a short period of time it will freeze up.
Even if the buffer isn't full it could still be writing.

Quote:

I am interested in updating my camera. The 60D shoots movies, has and a flip out screen, which my XSI doesn't. It also has a longer battery life, higher pixels, it shoots faster, higher ISO & has a faster shutter speed. It's rated very well.
Look at the T4i/T5i if you plan on shooting a lot of video. The ability to use the STM lenses gives them a big advantage in that area.

Quote:

What kind of camera do you have? Do you have a 60D? Have you ever had your camera get busy after taking too many pictures in a short period of time?
I currently use a 50D. It has a faster burst rate and larger buffer (in relation to file size) than the 60D. It still gets busy writing sometimes when I'm shooting dance. And it seems like once I hit that point where things slow down they only get slower, even though I know that's just my impatience.

Getting the 60D may not solve this problem for you. The 7D has the fastest burst rate and largest buffer of the Canon crop bodies that are out right now.

Finally graduated. Woooo! To graduate school, and beyond!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #19
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have been looking at the Canon 60 D for awhile. I hear such great things about it. I love that it has the ability to take video, higher pixels and that it's a faster camera. The Canon 60D is pricey so I've been waiting to get a good price on it.

I have the anon Rebel Xsi, for the most part I have been extremely happy with this camera. My problem is that every time I shoot a lot of pictures, the camera seems to freeze up. This usually comes after about 45 min or so of taking pictures. I go to press the shutter halfway down like usual and nothing happens. Then it says "busy" on the screen. Sometimes it clears up right away but usually takes a minute or two. Sometimes turning the camera off and back on helps and sometimes it doesn't. Any idea why this is happening? I've tried buying a faster card, I've tried different settings, it still happens. I've also wondered if the 18-200mm lens could be slowing my camera down. It's frustrating this is one reason I was thinking of buying the 60 D, hoping it would rectify the problem.

I have been reading a lot of articles on here. I've noticed quite a few people have the Canon 50mm lens and love it!! A lot of people like it more then the 18-200mm for the sharpness of pictures and I understand it's a faster lens.

Which makes me wonder is the reason my camera always gets busy because the 18-200mm lens is slowing it down and is it the canon xsi camera itself?
it's not the lens, it's the camera and/or memory card have limits and it sounds like you're at those limits assuming you have turned off the custom functions (high ISO, highlight tone, etc.)
The 60D, 7D, 650D, 700D, all have faster FPS rates and buffer which is better for sports and action shots. The 60D is on the refurb and 'loyalty' list at less than $600 so that might be a possible upgrade
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #20
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the information!

The T4i may be another camera to look into.

One concern I have is the camera getting "busy" like my xsi.

Which camera would you buy the Canon 60D or the T4i, and why?
Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #21
nbaresejr
Mouseketeer

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

Its very close to a toss up. Both are not the newest but still good cameras. They use basically the same sensor. The 60d is going to be a bigger camera. I would hold both in hand and see what you like best.

I own a t2i which for me is boardering on a little small for my hand but perfect for my wife. I have held a 60d and its more to my liking size wise but too big for my wife.

I still say there is something wrong with your camera or memory card. The only time my t2i gets busy is when i shoot 3 bracketed photos (really 6 since i record in Raw and Jpeg at the same time).
nbaresejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaresejr View Post
http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-T4i-vs-Canon_EOS_60D

Its very close to a toss up. Both are not the newest but still good cameras. They use basically the same sensor. The 60d is going to be a bigger camera. I would hold both in hand and see what you like best.

I own a t2i which for me is boardering on a little small for my hand but perfect for my wife. I have held a 60d and its more to my liking size wise but too big for my wife.

I still say there is something wrong with your camera or memory card. The only time my t2i gets busy is when i shoot 3 bracketed photos (really 6 since i record in Raw and Jpeg at the same time).
I was going to suggest the same thing. I would probably lean toward the T4i just because it's a little smaller, which I'm used to and prefer. It just goes to show everyone is different.

However, since the issue you brought up as your greatest limitation with your current camera is the burst rate, you need to pay particular attention to that area. Read this review comparing the 2:

http://www.lightandmatter.org/2012/e...he-better-buy/

At first glance it would appear the 2 would perform with similar results in terms of solving your buffer problem. The T4i has a burst rate of 5.0 while the 60D has a burst rate of 5.3. But apparently the 60D has an upgraded buffer that the T4i did not get. It will shoot up to 16 RAW shots before filling the buffer, while the T4i seems to be about what I experience on my T2i at 6.

Last edited by mom2rtk; 04-24-2013 at 08:36 AM.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #23
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post

I was going to suggest the same thing. I would probably lean toward the T4i just because it's a little smaller, which I'm used to and prefer. It just goes to show everyone is different.

However, since the issue you brought up as your greatest limitation with your current camera is the burst rate, you need to pay particular attention to that area. Read this review comparing the 2:

http://www.lightandmatter.org/2012/e...he-better-buy/

At first glance it would appear the 2 would perform with similar results in terms of solving your buffer problem. The T4i has a burst rate of 5.0 while the 60D has a burst rate of 5.3. But apparently the 60D has an upgraded buffer that the T4i did not get. It will shoot up to 16 RAW shots before filling the buffer, while the T4i seems to be about what I experience on my T2i at 6.
Thanks! I probably will stick to the 60d because of the upgraded buffer and since there is not much of a price difference between the two. I will keep watching the price and maybe when the 70d comes out I can get a good deal on it.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:23 AM   #24
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Ok, I checked out the T5i and really like it! I compared it at the store with the 60D and it seemed significantly faster. I also noticed a difference in how it takes video, t5i was brighter and focuses better.

What do you think, should I go for the 60D or the T5i?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #25
DDuck4Life
Vinylmation and Donald Duck Nut!!

Quote:
Ok, I checked out the T5i and really like it! I compared it at the store with the 60D and it seemed significantly faster. I also noticed a difference in how it takes video, t5i was brighter and focuses better.

I'm in the same position as you. I have the xsi as well and feel your pain with the busy message all the time. I had the same thing happen to me a bunch.

Tough call to make on the 60D or T5i. The t5i is only a slight upgrade over the t4i if you can even call it that. So whatever way you were leaning before this should really sway you back the other way. Personally I would probably be looking to catch the t4i on sale since they discontinued it with the release of the t5i. You might be able to find a good deal on it as stores clear their inventory. Or still wait to see about supposed 70D coming sometime this year. So many options and decisions.

I'm still on the fence on whether to upgrade from my xsi. I don't feel like I've out grown it yet but I'm getting close and the new cameras are very tempting. Let me know what you decide to go with and how it works out for you. Would love the input from someone in the same position.
2011 - November - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR 2012 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek TR
2013 - October - Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR / "I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR
DL
2011 - April - Solo Day Trip, 2012 - May - Wyndham's Dolphin CoveTR, 2012 - August - Peacock Suites - Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip TR
DDuck4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 PM   #26
SoreFeet
Earning My Ears

Quote:

If video is important to you, I'd definitely recommend seriously considering the t5i. I have had the 60D for a year and a half or so, and I love it, but the lack of autofocus during video is a real impediment to casual video shooting. Its possible for pros and serious hobbyists to take wonderful video without having autofocus during the shot, but for me, for casual family stuff, I'm just never satisfied with my results. As a consequence, I shoot a lot less video than I did with my old point & shoot.

I like the size and ergonomics of the 60D, like having the rotating wheel around the controls on the back. That's generally something you get as you pay more: more functions can be controlled directly via their own buttons or wheels, vs. having to go into a menu. But if I were buying today, with the 60D model being that much older, I'd consider the t5i or waiting (weeks, maybe?) for the 70D to see what it brings to the party.

One advantage to the 60D is that it's supported by Magic Lantern, which adds on some cool features, many of them oriented toward serious video, but also gives extra capabilities for exposure bracketing, long exposures, etc.

Saving a little money on the body means you can spend more on glass, of course, or a good off-camera flash like the 430ex II. My 60D spends most of its time hooked up to the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 zoom, which is big & heavy compared to my kit 18-135mm, but gives great image quality and a consistent fast aperture through the whole zoom range. I hardly use my faster primes (50mm f1.8 and sigma 30mm f1.4) since I got it.

Have fun,
SoreFeet
SoreFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:29 PM   #27
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have the anon Rebel Xsi, for the most part I have been extremely happy with this camera. My problem is that every time I shoot a lot of pictures, the camera seems to freeze up. This usually comes after about 45 min or so of taking pictures. I go to press the shutter halfway down like usual and nothing happens. Then it says "busy" on the screen. Sometimes it clears up right away but usually takes a minute or two. Sometimes turning the camera off and back on helps and sometimes it doesn't. Any idea why this is happening?
Does it say "buSY" or does it say ?

If the flash indicator is on with the "buSY" message, it probably means the camera is waiting for the flash to recycle. The Xsi will deliberately stop shooting if you've used the flash enough times in a short period to prevent the flash from overheating. From your descriptions, this sounds like it may be the case.

When this happens, will the camera shoot if you disable the flash?

Also, try disabling the auto light optimizer and see if you still have the issue.

If the flash indicator isn't on, and it simply says "buSY" it is probably a buffer issue. Is the card-write indicator (on the back of the camera) flashing when it does this -- is it writing to the card?

The latest firmware version for your camera is 1.1.0. If this isn't what you have, I suggest your first step is to upgrade. You can check the version in your camera in the set-up 3 menu.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #28
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Thank you all for your help. I still haven't decided what to do yet. I really want to update my old rebel xsi, but not sure if it's worth it yet. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? or I could wait to see what the 70D will offer.

In the meantime I did buy myself a reasonable waterproof camera. I had a kodak sport 123 and the latch broke, instead of sending it in I decided to buy a new one, the Fujifilm XP60. I've been playing around with it. For a point and shoot camera it takes nice pictures. The camera has a lot of nice features, it also has the ability to take pictures while videoing. I thought I would love this, but the pictures are really fuzzy! I'm surprised the quality of the photos are not better. I also was surprised how loud the click is on the video when I took the picture. It's not a feature I would use as much as I would like.

Which leads me to the question...is that the way all cameras are? I thought I would love that feature on the Canon T5I. Does anyone know if the pictures taken while taking video on an SLR are clear? Is there a lot of background noise on the video when snapping the pictures?

I assumed the picture quality would be as good as the camera is when it's not on video. I did not realize it how noisy taking the picture would be on the video. Do you think it's because the FujiFilm XP60 is a cheaper camera, or will the same thing happen on the T5I?

Thanks for all your help...

Last edited by Brandee23; 05-29-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Brandee23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #29
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all for your help. I still haven't decided what to do yet. I really want to update my old rebel xsi, but not sure if it's worth it yet. Do you think the upgrade is worth it? or I could wait to see what the 70D will offer.

In the meantime I did buy myself a reasonable waterproof camera. I had a kodak sport 123 and the latch broke, instead of sending it in I decided to buy a new one, the Fujifilm XP60. I've been playing around with it. For a point and shoot camera it takes nice pictures. The camera has a lot of nice features, it also has the ability to take pictures while videoing. I thought I would love this, but the pictures are really fuzzy! I'm surprised the quality of the photos are not better. I also was surprised how loud the click is on the video when I took the picture. It's not a feature I would use as much as I would like.

Which leads me to the question...is that the way all cameras are? I thought I would love that feature on the Canon T5I. Does anyone know if the pictures taken while taking video on an SLR are clear? Is there a lot of background noise on the video when snapping the pictures?

I assumed the picture quality would be as good as the camera is when it's not on video. I did not realize it how noisy taking the picture would be on the video. Do you think it's because the FujiFilm XP60 is a cheaper camera, or will the same thing happen on the T5I?

Thanks for all your help...
I believe the picture taken during video on the 60D is same as other still pictures taken without it being in video mode. You can also ask in the 60D section at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:03 AM   #30
Brandee23
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob100 View Post
I believe the picture taken during video on the 60D is same as other still pictures taken without it being in video mode. You can also ask in the 60D section at http://photography-on-the.net/forum/
Great site! Thank you!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: