Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

WiFi Resort and Parks

I know that free wifi is now available everywhere but on the Disney Transportation.

Can someone tell me how it works? Is there a password you need to enter that works all over? Is it a "no password required" type of situation? If there is one, are the passwords different in the parks vs. the resorts.

I'm hoping we can just plug in a password once and it will work wherever there is wifi.

Thanks for any info...
5 or 6 times as a kid, no idea when I went or where I stayed NYE 1999 Coronado Springs October 2005 Old Key West November 2006 Pop Century September 2007 Pop Century August 2010 Pop Century August 2011 Pop Century April 2013 AoA LM
mnmhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
Luv4Dis
Mouseketeer

If you go to settings on your phone and wifi it should pop up as guest ( wdw guest ) I think... I checked a box that I agree to terms and ever since it automatically connects at te parks. At our hotel, the dolphin, you had to sign in with your name ( last) and room number. I did notice today on the monorail that wifi didn't work...
Register to remove

Old 03-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Great, thanks! I wonder if all of the Disney resorts make you put in the information that you had to at the Dolphin. Can never follow when the Dolphin an Swan follow Disney protocols and when they do not :-)

Did you have th input that each time you got to your resort, or is it a one time thing that kicks in anytime you get in that wifi area?
5 or 6 times as a kid, no idea when I went or where I stayed NYE 1999 Coronado Springs October 2005 Old Key West November 2006 Pop Century September 2007 Pop Century August 2010 Pop Century August 2011 Pop Century April 2013 AoA LM
Old 03-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Just found this info for anyone else who may be interested in knowing:

At Resort Hotels: Complimentary Wi-Fi service is now available in all Walt Disney World Resort hotel guest rooms. Free Wi-Fi can also be accessed at the following public areas of Walt Disney World resort hotels: main lobbies; porte cocheres; full-service restaurants (except for operating participant restaurants); quick service restaurants and food courts; merchandise locations; arcades; concierge lounges; DVC member lounges and Community Halls (except for Disney's BoardWalk Resort); main feature pool areas; Convention Center lobbies and hallways.

NOTE: At Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground, complimentary Wi-Fi is available at Reception Outpost, Meadows, Crockett's Tavern and the cabins. Campsites must pick up a modem kit at reception post. Internet Access is free. There will be a $125 deposit hold on credit card. Once kit is returned the hold will be released.

At the Four Major Theme Parks: Complimentary Wi-Fi is also available at Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Complimentary Wi-Fi is also available at Downtown Disney.

Guests with wireless-enabled devices (using AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS) can connect to the complimentary network as follows:

1. Locating the network (Disney - Guest) and select connect.

2. You will see a page with terms and conditions. Click accept, which will connect you to the network.

If you've already connected the device to the Disney Wi-Fi network at a Walt Disney World public space, you will not be prompted to accept the terms and conditions again.

If you have trouble connecting to the complimentary Wi-Fi, contact Walt Disney World Telecom at 407-827-2732.

If your device does not have a wireless interface card installed, one is available for purchase in each resort's business center.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I was there 3 weeks ago, it worked great at the parks and BLT. Pleasantly surprised.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I was there 3 weeks ago, it worked great at the parks and BLT. Pleasantly surprised.
Thanks. Looking forward to it.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Has anyone tried using facetime on the network? Assuming it won't be fast enough, but secretly hoping it is!
Old 03-27-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
mrunn0080
Earning My Ears

Gimped WiFi?

I was wondering if the WDW Guest wifi in the parks allows full internet access or if it's strickly web only. I would like to get emails, Skype calls, ect. Some of the free wireless hotspots I've been to filter out some internet services, like google voice and email.
mrunn0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #9
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunn0080
I was wondering if the WDW Guest wifi in the parks allows full internet access or if it's strickly web only. I would like to get emails, Skype calls, ect. Some of the free wireless hotspots I've been to filter out some internet services, like google voice and email.
You'll have full access.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
mnmhouston
Mouseketeer

Also wondering about streaming video? I know sometimes it's choppy, buffering, etc. Would like the kiddies to be able to watch shows/videos etc. Any experience with this?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhouston
Also wondering about streaming video? I know sometimes it's choppy, buffering, etc. Would like the kiddies to be able to watch shows/videos etc. Any experience with this?
If your kids are very patient they might be able to. It could take an hour to watch a 30 minute show. Streaming is painful.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
cayennews
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I am guessing that the wi-fi is not just for smartphones, but devices like Kindles too? We will be bringing a Kindle to keep the kids occupied while we wait in all of the lines.
cayennews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #13
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennews View Post
I am guessing that the wi-fi is not just for smartphones, but devices like Kindles too?
You guessed correctly.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #14
Belleoftheballl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame
Has anyone tried using facetime on the network? Assuming it won't be fast enough, but secretly hoping it is!
I used FaceTime and FaceTimed the magic kingdom fireworks so my best friend could see and a parade so my bf could see! It worked perfect
I also FaceTimed all the time @ the hotel
Belleoftheballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #15
nhfd155
Mouseketeer

we tried using skype in AKV Kidani last year. the connection was not fast enough. very frustrating to carry on a conversation. i also remember it dropping the call several times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: