Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
JKeenz
Enduring the long wait until the next trip....

Late Arrival and Late Departure... Thoughts?

So I typically like to take an early morning (6 or 7 am) flight to MCO, so that we can get to the resort by noon, but we are doing things a bit differently this time. DH is not a morning person, so we decided to take an afternoon flight which arrives at MCO at 6:50 pm. We will be using ME, but I'm thinking we won't use the luggage service so we won't have to wait for our bags. Thoughts, agreement, disagreement on this?

On our departure day, our flight actually doesn't leave MCO until 8:00 pm, so we will be heading to MK one last time that day. (Also not typical for us since we usually leave in the morning too.). I'm assuming the hotel will hold our luggage until we come back from the park and check in for ME to go back to MCO? Or do you know if we should check our luggage with ME before we leave for the parks? Also wondering around when we should head back to the hotel? We are staying at CBR. Thanks for your input!

Expecting our little boy in July 2014
Hoping to take him on his first trip in November 2015... Mommy & Daddy can't wait to get back!

September 2013 - Disneyland - one day during our trip to SoCal
May 2013 – Caribbean Beach
May 2012 – Coronado Springs – With Mom for Mother’s Day
October 2011 – Port Orleans French Quarter – Honeymoon!
November 2010 – Coronado Springs – Got Engaged!
July 2008 – Pop Century
April 1993 - Off-Property
February 1991 - Off-Property
February 1987 - Off-Property

JKeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
dvcHammer
Drinking at Disney

Great plan! Take your bags to the bus on the way in and check them in the morning before hitting the park on the last day.
No wait on the way in and no worries on the way out. Perfect plan.
64 visits so far.
Been there, done that, going back again!
http://www.drinkingatdisney.com/
dvcHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #3
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Disagree about not tagging the bags inbound. Pack your carry-ons with travel documents, medications, valuables, and whatever you'll need for the first 24 hours at WDW. That way, if your checked luggage gets misdirected you'll still be able to function.

For the return, you can bring your luggage to the Resort Airline Check-in counter (not bus) any time between 8 and 1 on departure day to check it and check in for your flight. The day before departure, you'll get your DME pickup time. You need to be waiting at the stop with your entire party 15 minutes before that.
kaytieeldr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
serene56
DIS Veteran

Your ME return time is usually 3 hours before your flight-- so factor in if your flight is at 8pm you will get a bus time of around 5pm you want to be waiting at the bus -- ready to go about 4:45
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #5
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

We grab our bags as well - We prefer to have our "stuff" with us rather than wait for delivery to the room, especially when we arrive later in the day.
It isn't a big deal at all, matter of fact, there were several others that did the same and the driver seemed perfectly fine with it

I believe the PP is correct that ME picks up 3 hours prior to departure - they will provide you the time before you check out - just plan accordingly for time to get back to CBR - I would say to give yourself an hour, just in case.

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran

Last year, we had a pick up time around 5pm. I took my checked bag down to the airline check in desk early. Then when it was time to check out, we stored our belongings with bell services. No problems. We have an 8pm flight planned again this year.
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu PHM, 8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 POFQ/POR GSC

DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
sahickman
Earning My Ears

We had an 9:30 pm return flight last trip. It was wonderful. We were able to stay at a park until almost 5 pm before returning to resort for pick up to airport. So we got a nice park day out of day that could of just been a traveling day. They held the luggage no problem and I made a separate bag to hold any clothing changes or anything else that might be needed before heading to airport and left that with the luggage. I then just threw that bag in my luggage before heading to airport. Easy.

As for the taking a late flight there...I am debating this to for next trip. Other trips we were in Orlando by 9:30 am, which is a nice start to having a slow day at Disney. I'm not liking the idea of paying a night for a room to just sleep in one night and not really have any Disney time that day....

I will keep checking back to watch these posts!
sahickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #8
Sue M
DIS Veteran

I usually am flying into Ft Lauderdale first, then drive up to wdw, but a few times I've done my trip in reverse, and flew into MCO late afternoon flight. I packed change of clothing, PJs, bathing suit, toothbrush, etc in carry on. But we were always pleased with DME service, and luggage. Never had to wait long.

Our last day we check our luggage before leaving for a park with airline desk ( they close at 1:00) and leave carry on with Bell Service.

I always like to be back at resort an hour before DME. Have to get carry on from bell service, then we go to food court to grab a snack or light meal, and buy some stuff to eat on flights. Then one last peak at gift shop, lol, and wait for DME. As mentioned your entire party should be at DME bus stop 15 min before pick up time.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside

Last edited by Sue M; 04-21-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I normally take an early afternoon flight to MCO and arrive around 4pm. I let Magical Express handle my checked bags and they have always been in the room by the time I return which is normally between 10pm and midnight.

If you let Magical Express handle your bags, you will receive them within 3 hours of checking in at your resort (not 3 hours from the plane landing as I used to think). As long as you are fine with getting them some time between 11pm and midnight, I'd just let someone else handle your bags.

The day you leave, you will need to take any bags that will be checked to the Resort Airline check in. They will collect any baggage fees if you have them and give you a bag claim check for when you reach your home airport.

Also if you have bags that you plan to carry on, those can be left with Bell Services. Just be sure you return early from the park with enough time to collect those (I usually time it so I'm back at the resort with an hour to spare) and still be ready to go for Magical Express 15 minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.

I normally leave MCO in the evening so this is what I do.

Have a great trip.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
benji2012
Mouseketeer

We usually take late flights both ways; though we don't always use Magical Express.

I definitely think you have the right plan. Grab your bags before getting on magical express. You never know when or why your flight may be delayed, so I like to be prepared.

We love having a full day before flying out...though our flight last night awas delayed and we didn't get home until after midnight. Sure was tired at work today!
benji2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKeenz View Post
So I typically like to take an early morning (6 or 7 am) flight to MCO, so that we can get to the resort by noon, but we are doing things a bit differently this time. DH is not a morning person, so we decided to take an afternoon flight which arrives at MCO at 6:50 pm. We will be using ME, but I'm thinking we won't use the luggage service so we won't have to wait for our bags. Thoughts, agreement, disagreement on this?

On our departure day, our flight actually doesn't leave MCO until 8:00 pm, so we will be heading to MK one last time that day. (Also not typical for us since we usually leave in the morning too.). I'm assuming the hotel will hold our luggage until we come back from the park and check in for ME to go back to MCO? Or do you know if we should check our luggage with ME before we leave for the parks? Also wondering around when we should head back to the hotel? We are staying at CBR. Thanks for your input!
We are doing the same thing as you this year! We also plan to get our own bags, however we have almost always done this regardless of our arrival time. If it's just you two, it should be no problem to roll your bags through the airport to get to the ME area but if you have kids, it might be tricky. Also, allow for the extra time to wait for the bags. We have found the baggage claim to be very slow at MCO.

I would have your hotel store your bags on your last day and then you can just pick them up when you come back for ME. I don't think you can check them with ME before your ME bus arrives. ME will likely pick you up around 5pm for an 8pm flight, so you should be at the bus stop by 4:45. I would leave MK by 3:30 to ensure you give yourself enough time to get on a bus and get back to the resort to get your bags. It should be more than enough time, but I would hate to be rushing and nervous you'll miss ME!
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #12
DevonsDisneyMom
DIS Veteran

We usually take morning flights too but the last few times the evening flights to and from we're cheaper. I think you will still be fine having ME deliver your luggage on your arrival. 6:50 isn't late at all. I bet you'll have your luggage before 9p. As for leaving. If you are doing resort check in you have to have that done before 1p I believe. Bell services can hold any bags you are not checking in. That's what we have always done in the past

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: