Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Caitlint
Mouseketeer

POP vs ASMo?

Hey guys! This only my second or third time posting, but I'm a long time board lurker, and have been helped so much by everyone, so thank you! My question is: DBF and i are going to the world in September (hoping for FD, like I know a lot of us are!) and I'm having confusion as to where to stay. We want to stay value this go around as last time we stayed a split at AOA (lion king) and AKL; even though we very much enjoyed AKL, we felt as though the money was lost on us since we stay in the parks all day, and essentially just sleep and shower in our room. I've never stayed at either POP or any of the All Stars, and was just wondering which one people like more.

I can see advantages for both resorts. I like that POP doesn't share it's bus with any other resorts (I read that, is that correct?) but am worried with how big the resort is that it will be loud, and that the busses will be packed. I'm not too excited that the ASMo shares its busses, but the smaller size appeals to me. I've done my research and I realize what the value resort experience is going to be like, and am fine with that as long as the rooms are clean and CMs friendly. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you!
Caitlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #2
carly chloe
DIS Veteran

POP is newer and doesn't share buses but we found long waits and very crowded buses. Hotel in general is louder and more chaotic. 1,000 more people in resort. beds were terrible. My whole family said never again.
We stayed at ASMo after that and found it busy but not as loud and chaotic. Buses were ok. For a value we pick ASMo. We've stayed at all levels but sometimes the price wins over and it's still Disney!!!
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
myhouseofmouse
Disney Dad

now we have stayed at ASM and pop and as you can see by signature...we keep going back to POP. For starters...the reasons you mentioned, it does not share a bus, so usually faster. Yes it has alot of rooms, but a lot less then the All stars combined, so never had any issues here. (but then again we usually plan and do not go in crowded times). Never had issues with noice or crowds at eithr, POP is a little bigger a little more spread out, but thats a plus, not a negitive. (holds sounds better, more room for theming and never more then a 5 minute walk to where you need to get to. The other big plus of POP is the food court, hands down better then any of the All-star food courts. So many more QUALITY choices to choose from. We enjoy the themes of all the value resorts, but really enjoy the theming of the pools at POP as well. Honestly though as you said, you are going for the parks, go for what ever theme excites you most and enjoy your trip. Have fun
Old 04-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Missymouse18
Mousketeer

Of the All-Star resorts, ASMo is definitely my fave. But there is something really unique about PoP! We re staying at Pop this summer and I am overjoyed. Last summer we were at ASMu. I see threads of people complaining about sharing buses at the AS resorts, but this has never been an issue for us.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
FreeTime
DIS Veteran

POP! I have found that although it has families staying there, you will have less younger families and more couples than movies.
Offsite-03/97, Offsite 05/98, Offsite 09/98, Offsite-09/99, OKW-05/00, BWV-09/00, OKW-02/01, BWV-09/01, VWL-07/01, OKW-05/02, VWL-09/02, FW Cabins-12/02, BCV-02/03, BCV-09/03, ASMo-09/03, OKW-01/04, BWV-06/04, OKW-12/04, Wonder-5/05, BWV-05/05, SSR-10/05, BWV-10/05, CBR-10/05, CSR-07/06, OKW-07/06, Wonder-12/06, Offsite-12/06, SSR-03/07, II Exchange @ Mariott Timberlodge-07/07, Disneyland Hotel- 08/07, SSR-10/07, ASMu-03/08, VWL -06/08, SSR-08/08, Wonder-12/08, ASMu-12/08, ASMo - 12-08, Offsite 03/09, SSR 08/09, Pop 12/09, SSR 12/09, BWV 03/10, SSR 06/10, BWV 06/10, Disneyland Hotel 06/11, Pop 11/11, BWV 11/11, Pop 4/12, BWV 4/12, BWV 06/12, SSR 07/12, VGC 06/13, BLT 06/14, OKW 06/14
FreeTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by carly chloe View Post
POP is newer and doesn't share buses but we found long waits and very crowded buses. Hotel in general is louder and more chaotic. 1,000 more people in resort.

We stayed at ASMo after that and found it busy but not as loud and chaotic. Buses were ok. For a value we pick ASMo. We've stayed at all levels but sometimes the price wins over and it's still Disney!!!
Agreed! I will concede that Pop has a somewhat better food court (LOVE the grilled flatbreads) and the lake view and walk around the lake is quite lovely. _I_ just prefer a smaller resort and I really dislike schlepping through the gift shop to get to the food court.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
shyjade
DIS Veteran

ASMo was refurbished early last year...not sure when Pop was las refurbished
Old 04-23-2013, 01:13 PM   #8
franluvsbubba
Mouseketeer

We have been going to Dis every year and sometimes twice a year since my youngest DD was 2, and is now 10. We've always stayed at ASM preferred room for Buzz and Woody and to be closer to bus stops and food courts, pool, laundry, etc. We LOVE it!!!! The rooms HAVE been refurbished and they look awesome. The sharing of buses has never been an issue, especially since depending on when u leave the pks, it's usually empty(hopping during middle of day or headed bk for naps), or it's night, when they usually separate the stops anyhow. We've been going for so long now that we know mostly all the long time cleaning people, the managers and chefs at the food court(DD has food allergies) and CM's at the check in station in the front. Can't say enough good things about the place. The CM's treat you just like royalty as if you were at one of the fancier resorts. ASM's all the way for this family!
franluvsbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Caitlint
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies! I can see advantages and disadvantages for both properties. Are all the king bed rooms in ASMo handicap accessible, or do they have some that are just regular king bed rooms? I know that POP has both, and since we need a king sized bed, but not the accessible bathroom, I don't want to take a room away from someone who really needs it.
Caitlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
GWS
Earning My Ears

Never stayed at POP but have stayed once at ASM for 5 days and it was fine. We had no problems, the rooms were great and the property was beautiful. We only noticed that there seemed to be more unsupervised teenagers running around and getting on the busses being extremely loud, belligerent and line cutting. Though this only happened a few times throughout our stay it did discourage use from staying at the value resorts.

We typically stay at POR in the past but since this was our first trip to the World with our DS (finally old enough to enjoy it) we thought he would like the theming of ASM. We took him over to POR and when he saw the boats and the property layout he wanted to switch to POR. So this time around we are going to POFQ to try something different but still at PO.
GWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Personally I prefer pop because they have there own bus service.I have only gone late October or late November so the crowds were not bad.Breakfast was a bit of a zoo but we would just get our food and sit near the pool or go back to our room to eat. The only down side is that it is the resort that is the furthest from mk

77,79,88 OS-89,92 FW-96 ASMo-05,07,09,11 POP-13 POFQ/POR-2015 POP

Dad-Mom-Son

Last edited by babydoll65; 04-23-2013 at 01:58 PM.
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #12
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

We love both POP & ASMo. Theyre both great!! The bonus to Pop is the buses. ASMo shares buses with ASMu & ASsports....which sucks, cause ASMo is the very last stop! I'd go with POP. I love that resort best. But you really cant go wrong with either choice cause theyre both great in their own way.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I've never stayed at POP, but I've done ASMO and I really loved it. It's good value for for money. I stayed in the Mighty Ducks section right at the pool, and found it not too noisy at night, considering.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: