Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #1276
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Question about The Edge

Quick question about The Edge (for anyone who might know the answer). My youngest son will be 2 weeks from turning 11 when we get on the Magic. He REALLY wants to be in The Edge (being the youngest, he just always prefers to be with the older group of kids in any social situation). Does anyone know how strict they are with The Edge if a child is only 2 weeks from turning the age requirement for that group?

I've already told my son that very likely he will be in The Lab, and he needs to just expect this is where he'll be (I don't want him getting his hopes up that he will be able to get into The Edge since he'll be so close to turning 11, and then find out he has to be in the Lab). I'm sure they are strict about the age group, but I just wasn't sure if someone is that close to turning the age required to be in the next age group, if there is a grace period...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

The good news is he has always loved The Lab, so it will be totally fine no matter where he is, and he is VERY extroverted, so no matter where he is, I guarantee, he will have made friends with kids by the first day. LOL!! But, I think he just is itching to be with the older group now.
LovesToRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #1277
slg
DIS Veteran

Newfoundland Sailor:

How are you? I think you owe me a PM, but in case it's me...sorry! Been nuts. Miss chatting with you, and always looking to see if you've sent me something.

Let me know.

S.
DCL MAGIC NY to Bahamas July 20-28,2012
DCL DREAM Cruise Dec. 18-22, 2011
WDW. POR Dec. 2011
DCL WONDER Alaska Cruise July 12-19, 2011
DCL MAGIC Baltic Cruise July 6-18, 2010
ABD Ireland July 22, 2009
DCL MAGIC Mexican Riviera June 1-8 2008
DCL MAGIC Eastern April 28-May 5, 2007
WDW-POR April 2007
DCL MAGIC Western May 6-13, 2006
WDW-POR Apr 2006
WDW-All Star Movies 1999
DL-1989,1990,1994,1997,2004,2007,2008,2009,2011,2013
slg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #1278
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slg View Post
Newfoundland Sailor:

How are you? I think you owe me a PM, but in case it's me...sorry! Been nuts. Miss chatting with you, and always looking to see if you've sent me something.

Let me know.

S.
Hey - I was thinking the same thing, I think a couple of messages must of gotten lost in cyberspace. I just sent you a PM.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Newfoundland Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #1279
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
Quick question about The Edge (for anyone who might know the answer). My youngest son will be 2 weeks from turning 11 when we get on the Magic. He REALLY wants to be in The Edge (being the youngest, he just always prefers to be with the older group of kids in any social situation). Does anyone know how strict they are with The Edge if a child is only 2 weeks from turning the age requirement for that group?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?
I am a DCL neophyte - and I only have one experience to talk to - but last time we were in the Med in 2011 my DS was 10 1/2 and he started off in the Lab but found his way to The Edge by the fourth day and never looked back. The CMs had no problem having him go to The Edge - they actually encouraged it. And my DS enjoyed the interaction a lot more as well.

Check out my Med Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078020
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #1280
Pengwend
Mouseketeer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesToRun View Post
I don't know the opening time of any of the days we are on the Med cruise, but I do know from other Disney cruises I've been on, the kids club open around 7:30 AM, and on port days, the kids clubs are open by the time people are allowed to get off the ship. I am sure someone here can correct me, though. It might be on some of the longer days where we dock early, the kids clubs will open even earlier.

You could call Disney and ask... I bet they would know for sure, though, if you need to set a reservation time for your tour now.
We don't have children, but on our last cruise, we did a few of the adults-only excursions (great idea, btw). I think we did three. Each time, we had fairly early meeting/departure times and we talked to parents who had had plenty of time to get their children breakfasted and to the clubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW Princess 71 View Post
Thanks so much for posting! I'm jealous of some of the longer port times it looks like you had on your cruise, especially in Rome, until 8:45 PM that day! A few extra hours makes such a difference. I wonder why they have shortened the days on the Med cruises this year. Or, do you remember on your cruise, were the port times earlier and then onboard they changed them until later? I know sometimes they do that in the Caribbean cruises.

Do you know how often the characters were out in their country-specific attire? I had heard about this, and saw on your navigators "come see Mickey and friends in their French/Italian/etc attire"- do you know if they were in these special outfits all day for pictures or were they only limited times? I love getting character pics but this cruise is so jam packed, I just hope I can squeeze in some special pics!
Regarding the port times, here's what I know/remember:
  • At least once, we left some people behind (they were late making it back to the ship, so we waited) which I think caused us to be a little later into port the next day.
  • The captain was avoiding a storm that was lurking around Italy the whole cruise, which altered our port times (he was successful, never saw a drop of rain nor a cloudy day)
  • There was something going on with the day we had to tender to shore because there were a lot of ships in port, so we were allowed to return to the ship later than originally scheduled - they announced this over the TV (I only remember because our alarem didn't go off, so we were waking up to the announcement)

Of course, this is all just me remembering, so these things may not have been actual causes of anything. They are very good about reminding you a zillion times when you be allowed off and when you need to get back.

26 May 2011 | Wedding Pavilion, Narcoossee's, Italy Isola West
Pengwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #1281
FloridaMom3461
Disney Veterans

Meet and Greet

Hi all,

Meet and Greet confirmed for embarkation day, July 13, 2013 from 2:30pm - 3:30pm at Studio Sea which is Deck 4 midship. There will be a sign out front "Disboard Group Meet & Greet".

I look forward to "meeting you all" then.
Randi
FloridaMom3461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:21 PM   #1282
calihannah
Mouseketeer

We are in for the FE -- thanks again for organizing Can't remember if I've already confirmed, and apologies if this is a duplicate confirmation!

We had no trouble in 2011 getting the kiddos into care (clubs and nursery) before our adult-only off-ship time. Same with our Alaska cruise last summer. DCL is very considerate about what guests need with respect to their kiddos, we've found -- hence the repeat trips

Just changed up our Tuscany plans thanks to a pre-trip report we read here -- now we're even more excited, and our kids will get to visit a PASTA FACTORY!! They're not that into museums, but hey, pasta, that's another story
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #1283
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMom3461 View Post
Hi all,

Meet and Greet confirmed for embarkation day, July 13, 2013 from 2:30pm - 3:30pm at Studio Sea which is Deck 4 midship. There will be a sign out front "Disboard Group Meet & Greet".

Randi
Great!! Will be fun to meet everyone face-to-face! Thank you so much for organizing this.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #1284
LovesToRun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
I am a DCL neophyte - and I only have one experience to talk to - but last time we were in the Med in 2011 my DS was 10 1/2 and he started off in the Lab but found his way to The Edge by the fourth day and never looked back. The CMs had no problem having him go to The Edge - they actually encouraged it. And my DS enjoyed the interaction a lot more as well.
Thanks for sharing this experience. It is good to know that maybe they aren't super strict about being exactly in the right age group. I guess we'll just see once we get on the ship, and my son will know to not expect one or the other (Lab or the Edge), but just that he'll be able to go to one of the kids clubs.

I am sure the capacity of the kids clubs has something to do with it, too. In other words, if they have a large amount of kids in The Edge, they may say even if you are 2 weeks away from turning 11, you can't come to The Edge because there are already so many kids to start with, but if they don't have a large capacity of kids in The Edge, they might allow him to go given he'll be so close to age 11, and if there is space.

But, it is great to know your son ended up going to The Edge and loved it! Hopefully our youngest son can have the same experience given he'll be so close to turning 11. We'll see. But, no matter what, he'll be happy... can't go wrong with DCL kid's clubs no matter what.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #1285
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi all,

Randi
Randi you are a superstar

Let me know if there is anything I can do. I can't wait to meet everyone.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #1286
mom3bellasorella
Earning My Ears

On the Fantasy, my DD had some friends that were close to 13 and they let them into the Vibe. I want to say they were about a month out. The parents just had to sign a waiver letting them into the older age group club. They eventually moved to Edge where they were more comfortable. Too many older kids in Vibe. My DD 11, tried Edge and felt there were too many big kids. I think it just depends on ages of kids on boat.

As far as port times, on the Fantasy the captain announced that the crew had earned an ashore day so we were able to stay in Port until 1 am in Costa Maya. In the Med in 2010, we were in Corsica and it was Napolean's birthday so the town was celebrating with fireworks. I believe that port day was extended so we could be in town for that. So there is always hope! We are doing some privates too and am a little nervous about making it back in time. I wish Rome wasn't shortened. We are going to Orvieto and that is a little ways out.

Thanks for setting up the meet! Can't wait to meet everyone.
mom3bellasorella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #1287
Newfoundland Sailor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom3bellasorella View Post
In the Med in 2010, we were in Corsica and it was Napolean's birthday so the town was celebrating with fireworks. I believe that port day was extended so we could be in town for that.
I can only hope that they will do that for us on our day in Villefranche for the Fete Nationale fireworks.....I have been reading that they are spectacular.

This is a write up about 2011 events:
http://www.fr2day.com/whats_french_r...some-fireworks

"The same evening, a procession of flower-covered, illuminated boats will take place in Villefranche's harbour at 9:30 pm. Organised by the Bateliers Plaisanciers and the Town of Villefranche-sur-Mer, the event, La Rade aux Lumieres (The Harbour of Lights) will be followed by fireworks."

Old 04-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #1288
bellelinus
You have liberally applied fluff as filler as well
Let's not forget to feed our hearts and minds as well
I wish you -- and your yellow underwear -- the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfoundland Sailor View Post
I can only hope that they will do that for us on our day in Villefranche for the Fete Nationale fireworks.....I have been reading that they are spectacular.

This is a write up about 2011 events:
http://www.fr2day.com/whats_french_r...some-fireworks

"The same evening, a procession of flower-covered, illuminated boats will take place in Villefranche's harbour at 9:30 pm. Organised by the Bateliers Plaisanciers and the Town of Villefranche-sur-Mer, the event, La Rade aux Lumieres (The Harbour of Lights) will be followed by fireworks."

Oooooh, fingers crossed that we stay in port to see this! The distance between Villefranche and La Spezia is not huge, so hopefully we could see this and still be in La Spezia by 7 AM the next day . . .

bellelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #1289
calihannah
Mouseketeer

Ladies: any tips for outfit packing for this trip? I know there are some great threads on the main boards, but I am facing packing planning chaos here with 3.5 weeks planned in Europe. Specifically, I'm wondering how many on-shore/touring outfits, evening (non semi-formal/formal), and dressy outfits you're bringing for YOU (I can cope with the kids and DH!)
calihannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #1290
MrsG
We teachers ARE the worst!
I'm not sure how I'll be affected
Do I have to resort to FLUFF?

Quote:
Hi all,

Randi
Thanks for doing this Randi! It will be great to finally meet everyone.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: