Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #76
cousinorville3
Earning My Ears

They would definitely get a increased hazard pay, but I've never heard $500.

I can also say that personally I only know of one female who has done it the rest were Bills lol!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #77
rmm7e
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela72181 View Post
Now that's a scary looking Tink lol...

Either way my daughter loved the "Magic" when she watched her come down that wire in December...
Wait, there's a wire?

MAGIC RUINED!

I do remember her getting stuck halfway one time I was there. S/he was pumping her legs like mad to get going again. I forgot about that until I saw this thread.

rmm7e is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #78
SuperDan523
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm7e View Post
I do remember her getting stuck halfway one time I was there. S/he was pumping her legs like mad to get going again. I forgot about that until I saw this thread.
I remember reading somewhere, not sure if its true or not, that if Tinkerbell gets stuck (which happens) and a reasonable amount of wiggling doesn't get her on her way again, she's supposed to turn off her lights and just hang out up there until the fireworks are finished and the crowds disperse enough to safely bring in a truck with a boom lift to retrieve her.
SuperDan523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #79
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess View Post
When we did the Keys to the Kingdom tour several years ago, we did get to see the mattress at the end that she/he flies into. If you know where to look you can see it. I'll check with DH to see if he remembers exactly where it is. According to our tour guide, there was a weight limit. If I remember correctly it was between 95-105/110 lbs. and that these are contract workers and do not work for Disney itself. Also where they land at the end there are supposedly 2 guys (burly, I would assume) holding mattresses along the side as well as the mattresses at the end of the landing area. Sometimes these guys are forced off the landing area and they fall about another 3 feet or so onto more mattresses.
They should make it interesting and put red spots on the mattress and the guide can say it looks like tink came in a little fast last night.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 AM   #80
bayla89
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post

They should make it interesting and put red spots on the mattress and the guide can say it looks like tink came in a little fast last night.
Lol that's funny buts its a bit too cruel for the kids...
bayla89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #81
SA mom
DIS Veteran

I read/heard somewhere that the original flying Tinkerbell in Disneyland was a 70 year old woman. Her name was Tiny. I thought that was so cute.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #82
FlaNative
Mouseketeer

Spoiler Alert: Found in another thread.

This is a photo of the "business end" of The Wire. Do not look if you are afraid of heights. Or want to pretend Tink really flies. But it does show the route. Otherwise put on your tights and lights and FLY.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...keoffpoint.jpg
Old 04-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #83
thehowells
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom View Post
I read/heard somewhere that the original flying Tinkerbell in Disneyland was a 70 year old woman. Her name was Tiny. I thought that was so cute.
that was what we were told on the keys to the kingdom tour last year, as well

from what i remember, they have a matress at the end because sometime tinkerbell(bill) eww comes in to hot, but if they come in short they have to turn off the lights and pull themselves in hand over hand on the rope, they "never" land in the right spot

but we were told they did get 40 hours work per flight

thehowells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #84
TJD
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNative View Post

This is a photo of the "business end" of The Wire. Do not look if you are afraid of heights. Or want to pretend Tink really flies. But it does show the route. Otherwise put on your tights and lights and FLY.

[edit]link removed due to low post count[/edit]
Shoot. Many people pay to fly on cables like that... ever been ziplining?
TJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #85
magicbob
DIS Veteran

We were watching "Wishes" from the Tomorrowland Terrace area once and TinkerBill flew right over us. I bust out laughing when I heard a teenager behind me say (sounding very much like Crush), "Hey... that's a DUDE!"

Ratatouille, the Ride!

magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #86
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaNative View Post

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...keoffpoint.jpg
Link isn't working. Could you please re-post?
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 PM   #87
EnchantedTales
Mouseketeer

Dear Lord the stuff people believe on the internet it's just too much. I have worked at Disney for several years and I'm telling you in all the years I have been there I have NEVER EVER seen no man going up there dressed up as tinkerbell (and believe me she is hard to miss). I have however, seen Tinkerbell carrying double her weight in equipment. Too much crap that makes it look very pretty from far away but once you get close everything is distorted and exaggerated! For her to look shinny, sparkly and pretty everything has to be ten times bigger and weirder. Yes she is small (height and weight), yes she gets pay well, and yes she LOVES doing it.

Folks this is not a job anyone can do for physical and administrative reasons. They can't just pick anyone small and tiny and shoved them down that cable. This is a very serious meticulous job that a LOT of CM put work into it. Only people selected do it.

In a time where we tell our children to be careful in judging and criticizing others it would be great that we would follow our own advice and start being an example.

"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
EnchantedTales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #88
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

We have actually seen Tink get stuck. She got stuck, kept moving her arms a little (prob trying to wiggle free), then the lights on her went out. She did get going again at some point but by then the fireworks were going and her lights stayed out.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
2012DisneyWorldBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:16 AM   #89
sarah4770
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedTales View Post
Dear Lord the stuff people believe on the internet it's just too much. I have worked at Disney for several years and I'm telling you in all the years I have been there I have NEVER EVER seen no man going up there dressed up as tinkerbell (and believe me she is hard to miss). I have however, seen Tinkerbell carrying double her weight in equipment. Too much crap that makes it look very pretty from far away but once you get close everything is distorted and exaggerated! For her to look shinny, sparkly and pretty everything has to be ten times bigger and weirder. Yes she is small (height and weight), yes she gets pay well, and yes she LOVES doing it.

Folks this is not a job anyone can do for physical and administrative reasons. They can't just pick anyone small and tiny and shoved them down that cable. This is a very serious meticulous job that a LOT of CM put work into it. Only people selected do it.

In a time where we tell our children to be careful in judging and criticizing others it would be great that we would follow our own advice and start being an example.
Ive seen plenty of tinkerbells with facial hair, maybe they were Photoshopped, who knows?
Serious and meticulous job? Really?
sarah4770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #90
EnchantedTales
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah4770 View Post
Ive seen plenty of tinkerbells with facial hair, maybe they were Photoshopped, who knows?
Serious and meticulous job? Really?
Who knows? Me! Tink wears lots of wires and junk on her head. Throwing someone off a roof is such an easy job... Just because a job looks easy it doesn't mean it actually is. Some of the easiest job out there require a lot of work and preparation.

"You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality."

"Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Last edited by EnchantedTales; 04-26-2013 at 06:45 AM.
EnchantedTales is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: