Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 PM   #151
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Oh no, that was my biggest fear when I packed wine for the Panama cruise, I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I can't wait to hear how the cruise is going.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #152
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

So sorry about the wine. I hope you got the clothes washed. I think you may have bought at least nylons at Walmart....and wine.

Nice looking room.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #153
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
A moment of silence for the broken bottle of wine.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled programming. Glad your transportation went smoothly and your room looks really nice! Good value for $100. And I love the midnight aka 4AM snack.

Jill in CO
Thanks for the moment of silence. It was actually a bag not a bottle, thank goodness, that would have been a HUGE mess, but if it had been a bottle it probably wouldn't have broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
That stinks that your wine broke and ruined your bag! Was the bag punctured?

Great room and even better that it was only $100. It's really nice.

I can't wait to hear about Fran all tipsy and I'm glad you're having a good time.
Yes the bag had a small puncture in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Oh no sorry about your wine! I'm guessing you didn't wrap it in Wine Skin?

I think I know what you bought!
I've never had a problem in all the years that I've been putting wine in my suitcase, but it's only recently that I started taking non bottles. This was the first time I took this packaging, before that I brought boxes to WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Oh no, that was my biggest fear when I packed wine for the Panama cruise, I'm so sorry it happened to you.

I can't wait to hear how the cruise is going.
I've been doing it for so long that I never even considered the possibility. Until I smelled the bag, I was sure that it was soda and not wine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
So sorry about the wine. I hope you got the clothes washed. I think you may have bought at least nylons at Walmart....and wine.

Nice looking room.
That's all coming in the next update!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #154
franandaj

Before going to sleep Fran had put in a wake up call for 8:00. With only four hours of sleep we both awakened reluctantly. I think I took a bath (knowing that I would be without a tub for sometime), and then we both got dressed and headed down for our complimentary breakfast.

If you haven’t stayed at a Hampton Inn before, I find them to be quite a nice choice for usually a reasonable sum of money. They have always been clean, with comfortable beds and of course a very tasty breakfast! This was the breakfast area. Notice the “make’em yourself” waffle machines. .

Comes out nearly perfect everytime!

Fran got us a plate of bacon, and for her what they called a “bagel topper”

We also had some orange juice, coffee and milk with our breakfast. Once we finished we headed back up to the room. As much as I wanted to get on with things and do our shopping and see some of the town, I could tell that wasn’t happening today. The late arrival was too much for Fran and as soon as she laid back down on the bed, she was out like a light.

I realized that her health and resting was more important than sightseeing and let her sleep. I uploaded all my pictures thus far to photobucket and just sort of worked on the TR while she slept. It was also very cold, windy and overcast outside, so it wasn’t very inviting to go for a walk anywhere.

Around 1PM though, I decided that our whole mission for coming in a day early was to pick up provisions at WalMart and that we needed to at least accomplish that. I was also starting to second guess my wardrobe choices for the trip. If it was this cold today, I didn’t have any clothes that weren’t T-shirts, tank tops or sundresses, so maybe I better see if they have any winter clothes left in stock.

I rustled her out of bed and we trudged over to WalMart.

Here is a look back at our hotel.

What was a list of about a dozen things, quickly became an entire cart full of goodies. We needed, soda, replacement wine, water, trash bags, AAA batteries, snacks for the room, a contour pillow, possibly warmer clothes, scotch tape and a couple other things. In addition to what we needed, we ended up with two pairs of shoes for Fran, Vitamin C, Lotion, Shampoo and Conditioner for me (I thought I forgot it then found it on the ship), a refillable mug, several long sleeved shirts, a filter for the new camera, a lens cap leash, and I don’t even remember what else, but we had two dozen sodas now, a twelve pack of water and enough candy for a small army! We were in there so long, I ended up going to the frozen dinners section and we each chose something to microwave for lunch. I didn’t want to eat from the McDonald’s there. So we loaded up her scooter bag, floorboards and I carried the rest of the bags back to our hotel. Now the sun was shining, it was less windy and finally the temperature had warmed up.

I took a few shots of the view from our window out the back. Not a great view, but not the worst. I found out the next day that if we had been on the 4th or 5th floor instead of the 3rd we would have been able to see a little bit of the ocean. No big deal.

After we ate our frozen entrees, Fran went back to sleep again. She mentioned seafood for dinner, so inbetween writing TR updates I was researching menus for various restaurants on the island. It was also the day that Boston was on lockdown, so we had the news going to hear what was happening with the manhunt for the suspect.

There was one restaurant that I wanted to go to called Gaido’s. I had seen this menu online before we left and it looked like a wonderful elegant place to eat. Their website said that men were required to wear jackets and that they had them on loan for those who did not have one. Unfortunately we were not up for that kind of a dinner. While the menu looked lovely we didn’t want to have to get that dressed up. A polo shirt for Fran and a smart pants suit for me, but I didn’t want to get out my Palo or formal dresses, so we passed.

There was another place which turned out to be the casual restaurant for Gaido’s called Casey’s, so we decided on that. We debated between Casey’s and another place, but that was owned by Landry’s restaurants, so of course the Mom and Pop place won out over the chain. So after some coercion, I got her up and going and we called a cab to take us to dinner.
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #155
PrincessInOz
in

Look at that make-your-own waffle!! YUM! I like the Hampton Inn chain of hotels too.

Groceries, extra clothes and half of Walmart!! Well.done.you.two.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #156
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Did you have to buy an extra suitcase for all your Walmart goodies?

When I was a kid, we went to an absolutely awesome seafood place in Galveston...the boats pulled right up to the dock and unloaded directly into the restaurant...but sadly when we went back it had burned down.

Hope Casey's turned out to be good!

Jill in CO
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #157
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I really like the Hampton Inn line too. In fact I've got it booked while I check out other Miami options but wanted to have it just in case. I've seen less expensive options but always know what I'm going to get with the Hampton/Hilton family. I also really like Marriotts.

That's nice that you were so close to a Walmart. When I read you had 5 bags I was wondering if one was maybe empty so you could pack all of the stuff you were planning to purchase at Walmart. I had no idea that Walmart sells wine.

Hope Casey's was yum. Glad you decided to take it easy and recoup from the late night/early morning flight. There's nothing worse than being exhausted on vacation due to never catching up from the travel.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #158
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
It is! It's been literally 30 years since I started flying in and out of LAX, from my initial college auditions during my Senior year through the rest of my adult life and I never even knew it existed!
I only found out about it a few years ago when my sister and I were flying in from somewhere and she had to go to that terminal for her connecting flight to San Jose.

OK...back to catching up on the thread....
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #159
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Bummer about the wine snafu.

I was thinking the same thing, how did you pack all the Walmart stuff to get on the ship?

Your room looks really nice.

I'm so glad Fran is having fun

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #160
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Sorry about the wine, I have never thought of packing the bags of wine... Have you done it before with success?

I like Hampton's but again I am a Hilton family person, so I try to stay at family branded hotels...

That was a small purchase at Walmart, but I am curious if you got it all in your suitcase?

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #161
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Look at that make-your-own waffle!! YUM! I like the Hampton Inn chain of hotels too.

Groceries, extra clothes and half of Walmart!! Well.done.you.two.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Did you have to buy an extra suitcase for all your Walmart goodies?

When I was a kid, we went to an absolutely awesome seafood place in Galveston...the boats pulled right up to the dock and unloaded directly into the restaurant...but sadly when we went back it had burned down.

Hope Casey's turned out to be good!

Jill in CO
The suitcase with the wine in it was purposely underpacked, it also had some water and sodas that we drank in Galveston. Additionally, Fran has a pouch that goes on the back of her scooter. We had it in the suitcase for the flight, but stuffed it full of purchases for boarding the ship.

Additionally, we carefully measured the weight of our bags for the flight. For the ship, we just made sure they zipped closed!

Casey's update coming soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I really like the Hampton Inn line too. In fact I've got it booked while I check out other Miami options but wanted to have it just in case. I've seen less expensive options but always know what I'm going to get with the Hampton/Hilton family. I also really like Marriotts.

That's nice that you were so close to a Walmart. When I read you had 5 bags I was wondering if one was maybe empty so you could pack all of the stuff you were planning to purchase at Walmart. I had no idea that Walmart sells wine.

Hope Casey's was yum. Glad you decided to take it easy and recoup from the late night/early morning flight. There's nothing worse than being exhausted on vacation due to never catching up from the travel.
We like Hilton chains, especially since that's where we have a credit card with points.

Some Walmarts sell wine, others don't, it just depends on the location. This one also had tuxedo jackets, presumably for those guys who didn't realize their cruise had a formal night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
I only found out about it a few years ago when my sister and I were flying in from somewhere and she had to go to that terminal for her connecting flight to San Jose.

OK...back to catching up on the thread....
That's weird, I used to fly to San Jose all the time and never did I have to use the mini terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Bummer about the wine snafu.

I was thinking the same thing, how did you pack all the Walmart stuff to get on the ship?

Your room looks really nice.

I'm so glad Fran is having fun
Lots of cramming in, and lots of removing stuff from it's original packaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Sorry about the wine, I have never thought of packing the bags of wine... Have you done it before with success?

I like Hampton's but again I am a Hilton family person, so I try to stay at family branded hotels...

That was a small purchase at Walmart, but I am curious if you got it all in your suitcase?
This was my first time with the bags, and obviously a mistake. It was tight, but we got it all in. On the way home, we're going to need another suitcase.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #162
franandaj

Our cab arrived promptly and soon we had our first glimpse of the seawall and the ocean.

The restaurant was only about 2 miles up Seawall Blvd, which was only one block from our hotel.

Soon we arrived at the restaurant, marked by this giant crawfish. Or is it a shrimp?

The place was casual with wood paneling on the walls, and large windows that gave us a good view of the highway and the ocean. For whatever reason, I didn’t take any pictures of the room. But I got plenty of the menu.

We started off with an order of onion rings (for those of you who have read a lot of my TRs, I’m sure you are not surprised by this!)

While we were enjoying our appetizers the couple at the table next to us asked if we would be joining them on the Disney cruise tomorrow. Why would they think that? Was it Fran’s bright red 2007 shirt with Mickey Mouse and Cinderella’s Castle? Was it my 2013 Disneyland T-shirt with Sleeping Beauty’s Castle, and Mickey’s Fun Wheel of Death? Or could it have been my Mickey Mouse D&B purse, or the cruise line pendant around my neck? We didn’t look like walking Disney commercials.

It turns out they had been on the same cruise two months earlier and had such a good time, they decided to give it another go. I wondered how many other people in the restaurant were also here for the penultimate cruise night. While I pondered this question, our next course arrived. Fran had the Cream of Poblano Soup.

For the entrees we shared the Fried Soft Shell Crab and Shrimp with French fries and cole slaw.

The naked grilled Mahi Mahi with dirty rice and baked potato with all the fixins.

After dinner, Fran decided to go next door to Gaidos and check out their cookbook, so I followed her.

I was disappointed to see that there were folks in all levels of “non formal” dress. Most guys were not wearing jackets. Some had button front dress shirts, some had polos, we even saw some in T-shirts and shorts. We could have come here by just putting on a nice shirt, and wouldn’t have had to pull out all the formal garb. Oh well, next time. We enjoyed our dinner anyways, it was good simple food prepared well, and good sized portions. We were definitely full when it was all over and Fran was already talking about “next time” so that was a good thing.

We waited outside for our cab. Isn’t it nice since cell phones have become so common, it’s so much easier to get a cab. I guess that fact that this place had a crab on top instead of the crawfish was supposed to mean that it was a step up from the casual service place.

Once we got back to the room, Fran decided I didn’t have enough Ibuprofen in my purse to last the entire cruise, and headed back to Walmart to get some more. I fell asleep, but in my daze as she came back to the room, I heard something about “more shoes, must exchange in the morning for the right size.” Whatever that meant, I was back to lala land. Goodnight!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #163
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

more shoes????

The food looked great and sometimes the casual places are more fun and inviting than the more formal.

I am glad you had a good restful day and got everything accomplished you wanted too.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #164
PrincessInOz
in

The food looks great. We can compare it against Gaido's....next time.

Looking forward to seeing the shoes.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #165
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Yummy, looks like a fun evening

More shoes?

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: