Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #31
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Jonathan, if you were to do a cost analysis, do you include the delivered soda and water, as that would need to be included to compare apples to apples?
Only if you assume the mug is a magic mug that spews forth all kinds of beverages at will no matter where you are. Otherwise, no, because that would be wrong.

Why does there seem to be a high correlation of people who staunchly defend the DDP and poor math/logic skills?
Jonathan Swift is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 03:18 AM   #32
gigi1313
DIS Veteran
 
gigi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 9,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
Only if you assume the mug is a magic mug that spews forth all kinds of beverages at will no matter where you are. Otherwise, no, because that would be wrong.

Why does there seem to be a high correlation of people who staunchly defend the DDP and poor math/logic skills?
Do you not drink your prepaid, delivered bevs at the resort food court, or with a food court meal, ever? Because if you do, add it in!

I travel with my teens and a stroller (and my littlest who is still stroller age)... Ergo, my beverages are filled magically by thirsty teens going on their own mug runs, and we can fill them all up en route to a park as we have the stroller to carry them for us! plus, they make sharing a drink (with fresh ice) at a park easier.

Neither my math nor my logic skills are poor... The DDP works for me! YMMV!
__________________
numerous offsite vacations beginning in '79 honeymoon in march '92 AS Sports sept '99
CBR sept '01Pop sept '04POFQ/AKL aug/sept '05 Pop Jan '06 ASMusic sept '06
CBR Aug '07 BC Sept '08 CSR Feb '09 POR Aug '09 ASMovies Nov '09 POR Aug '10
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-22-2013, 04:29 AM   #33
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,841

[QUOTE=gigi1313;48175553

Neither my math nor my logic skills are poor... The DDP works for me! YMMV![/QUOTE]

Exactly! Unfortunately I think the poster you are replying to will never get that, and will argue until the ends of time that anyone who "thinks" (knows!) they get their money's worth out of the plan is misguided at best.

The plan can work to your benefit! It depends a lot on your eating habits, and if the convenience is worth it for your family.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 06:12 AM   #34
gigi1313
DIS Veteran
 
gigi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 9,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Exactly! Unfortunately I think the poster you are replying to will never get that, and will argue until the ends of time that anyone who "thinks" (knows!) they get their money's worth out of the plan is misguided at best.

The plan can work to your benefit! It depends a lot on your eating habits, and if the convenience is worth it for your family.
Here's the part I don't get... why does he (she?) have such a deep seeded interest in steering people clear of the DDP? Why not agree to disagree or agree that what works for one doesn't work for another, etc? Mr Swift, do tell...
__________________
numerous offsite vacations beginning in '79 honeymoon in march '92 AS Sports sept '99
CBR sept '01Pop sept '04POFQ/AKL aug/sept '05 Pop Jan '06 ASMusic sept '06
CBR Aug '07 BC Sept '08 CSR Feb '09 POR Aug '09 ASMovies Nov '09 POR Aug '10
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:26 AM   #35
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran
 
momto3gr8boys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rockville Centre, NY
Posts: 2,145

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Here's the part I don't get... why does he (she?) have such a deep seeded interest in steering people clear of the DDP? Why not agree to disagree or agree that what works for one doesn't work for another, etc? Mr Swift, do tell...
This is an interesting thread that has derailed from the OP's question, but I think it sums up the general DDP debate.

For many families, the DDP works because, as with most aspects of a WDW vacation, the family understands it and uses it to maximize their benefits. So this family may use their snack for breakfast, CS for lunch and one TS per day with no signatures. They save their CS dessert for a snack, and only order an entree (usually an expensive one) and dessert at every TS meal, along with a non-alcoholic beverage. They also take advantage of their mugs at the resorts.

If you do all of the above, you will come out ahead every time - maybe only $100, but still ahead. The "problem" for many families (and this is the category my family falls into) is that we don't do Disney this way. We choose our ADRs based on where we want to eat each trip - maybe it's more than one a day, maybe 3 signatures a trip, maybe it's less depending on that specific trip. We will do a GG order and eat breakfast in the room. We'll split a CS meal, or maybe just grab some fruit for lunch. I will go into Le Cellier (2TS credits) and order the cheddar cheese soup and maybe an entree, but maybe not - maybe I'll just go with a side or a second appetizer. Either way I need to pay for that soup and there's no way I'd be hungry for dessert. In fact if we ate 5 desserts for lunch and dinner a day in August we'd feel sick because we are an appetizer family. So as you see, for us we would not benefit. But again, I understand the way the plan works, and I can make an informed decision. The peace of mind that some feel by having things pre-paid for would drive me bonkers because I would "know" how much we were not utilizing the plan.

So where does the debate come in? Generally when people say I'm on the DDP and based on their posts, it is clear they don't really understand the caveats and hidden costs, more experienced posters try to help out. In another thread in the past day or two a CS CM discussed the difficulties when the majority of guests have no clue how the plan works - they just think they have "free dining" so everything and anything they want should be available to them or they argue that they paid ahead of time without realizing an appetizer is not included or a kids' meal can't be purchased with an adult credit, etc. This is, of course, what Disney is counting on - people to buy it and then end up either not using it or adding on extra costs - the only real favor they are doing is to give you convenience, if you consider counting everything you eat and keeping track convenient. So I think what happens is people get stuck on what works for THEIR family and want to help others. Or they see clearly that a poster has no clue how their plans will affect the costs because Disney says you will save if you do this without spelling out the caveats, and they are trying to help.
__________________
Christine DWDS(18) DS(16)DS(13)Picasso








*******************************************
momto3gr8boys is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #36
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Do you not drink your prepaid, delivered bevs at the resort food court, or with a food court meal, ever? Because if you do, add it in!
No, but you just raised an interesting point. When mickeynut1 estimated the $13 savings, he was assuming he was going to purchase beverages at all of the CS locations. Any CS at a resort would mean he could have used his mugs! Therefore, the $13 savings goes away and can even go negative. So the DDP didn't save him as much as he thought. Thanks for pointing that out!
Jonathan Swift is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #37
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran
 
aaarcher86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 7,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Exactly! Unfortunately I think the poster you are replying to will never get that, and will argue until the ends of time that anyone who "thinks" (knows!) they get their money's worth out of the plan is misguided at best.

The plan can work to your benefit! It depends a lot on your eating habits, and if the convenience is worth it for your family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Here's the part I don't get... why does he (she?) have such a deep seeded interest in steering people clear of the DDP? Why not agree to disagree or agree that what works for one doesn't work for another, etc? Mr Swift, do tell...
I'm with both of you. It works out for a lot of people, and it doesn't for others. It's not that hard to figure out.

I've also ALWAYS seen people who do save/enjoy the DDP tell others to run the numbers and let them know it doesn't work for everyone. It's not like they're parading the DDP to be the best thing in the world no matter who you are or how you eat.

The DDP bashing is getting crazy old. It's weird to be THAT invested in other people's decisions.
__________________
aaarcher86 is online now  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 AM   #38
FreeTime
DIS Veteran
 
FreeTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Too Far From Disney!
Posts: 1,674

In response to the OP's original thought, she technically shouldn't be using DH's credits for her and another adult or her child. So they would be losing these meals if following the plan guidelines. I agree due to this reason and my own experience using DDP, much better to pay OOP.
__________________
Our DVC / WDW Adventures:
Offsite-03/97, Offsite 05/98, Offsite 09/98, Offsite-09/99, OKW-05/00, BWV-09/00, OKW-02/01, BWV-09/01, VWL-07/01, OKW-05/02, VWL-09/02, FW Cabins-12/02, BCV-02/03, BCV-09/03, ASMo-09/03, OKW-01/04, BWV-06/04, OKW-12/04, Wonder-5/05, BWV-05/05, SSR-10/05, BWV-10/05, CBR-10/05, CSR-07/06, OKW-07/06, Wonder-12/06, Offsite-12/06, SSR-03/07, II Exchange @ Mariott Timberlodge-07/07, Disneyland Hotel- 08/07, SSR-10/07, ASMu-03/08, VWL -06/08, SSR-08/08, Wonder-12/08, ASMu-12/08, ASMo - 12-08, Offsite 03/09, SSR 08/09, Pop 12/09, SSR 12/09, BWV 03/10, SSR 06/10, BWV 06/10, Disneyland Hotel 06/11, Pop 11/11, BWV 11/11, Pop 4/12, BWV 4/12, BWV 06/12, SSR 07/12, VGC 06/13, BLT 06/14, OKW 06/14
FreeTime is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #39
gigi1313
DIS Veteran
 
gigi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 9,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
No, but you just raised an interesting point. When mickeynut1 estimated the $13 savings, he was assuming he was going to purchase beverages at all of the CS locations. Any CS at a resort would mean he could have used his mugs! Therefore, the $13 savings goes away and can even go negative. So the DDP didn't save him as much as he thought. Thanks for pointing that out!
Actually, even with my mugs, I still take advantage of the drinks that come with meals while at the resort... that's how I get my bottled water and soda/juice/powerade in my room, rather than tacking on the expense of ordering from a delivery service! Ergo, I continue to come out ahead... way ahead!


Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeTime View Post
In response to the OP's original thought, she technically shouldn't be using DH's credits for her and another adult or her child. So they would be losing these meals if following the plan guidelines. I agree due to this reason and my own experience using DDP, much better to pay OOP.
I disagree... credits are pooled by all members of the same reservation... if I were traveling with three friends, and I opted to eat all of our meals while they went to the beach, there is nothing in the Disney details that prevents me from doing just that... however, if I were traveling with six friends and three were in another room on a separate reservation and all six of them went to the beach, and I got my mitts on one of their room cards, I would NOT be permitted to eat all six of my friends' meals... only the three on my reservation!

Nice try though
__________________
numerous offsite vacations beginning in '79 honeymoon in march '92 AS Sports sept '99
CBR sept '01Pop sept '04POFQ/AKL aug/sept '05 Pop Jan '06 ASMusic sept '06
CBR Aug '07 BC Sept '08 CSR Feb '09 POR Aug '09 ASMovies Nov '09 POR Aug '10
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #40
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
Actually, even with my mugs, I still take advantage of the drinks that come with meals while at the resort... that's how I get my bottled water and soda/juice/powerade in my room, rather than tacking on the expense of ordering from a delivery service! Ergo, I continue to come out ahead... way ahead!
So on top of the $15 per mug, you're paying a premium for drinks at the resort rather than shipping them for free from Staples or Costco? Boy, you are a savvy shopper! You must work for the government. I've got an $800 hammer I can sell you for $400. It's a steal at that price!
Jonathan Swift is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #41
gigi1313
DIS Veteran
 
gigi1313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 9,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Swift View Post
So on top of the $15 per mug, you're paying a premium for drinks at the resort rather than shipping them for free from Staples or Costco? Boy, you are a savvy shopper! You must work for the government. I've got an $800 hammer I can sell you for $400. It's a steal at that price!
Insults really not required.
I am neither a staples nor Costco shopper/member, and if used properly, the drinks are "free" as are the mugs because I get more than my money's worth from the DDP with just the meals.

I will say it again... The DDP is not one size fits all but it works well for many and for those people I support it and am glad it's offered... For those it doesn't fit, I am glad it's not mandated... So it's truly Magic YOUR Way!

P.S., you never answered my query re: the length of your average WDW vacation.... Assuming you have actually been there.
__________________
numerous offsite vacations beginning in '79 honeymoon in march '92 AS Sports sept '99
CBR sept '01Pop sept '04POFQ/AKL aug/sept '05 Pop Jan '06 ASMusic sept '06
CBR Aug '07 BC Sept '08 CSR Feb '09 POR Aug '09 ASMovies Nov '09 POR Aug '10
PC & GF CL Jan '11POR Nov '11 DCL Fantasy May '12 BWalk&ASM Jan '13 PC Sept '13
DCL Magic B2B Jan '14
gigi1313 is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #42
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi1313 View Post
I am neither a staples nor Costco shopper/member, and if used properly, the drinks are "free" as are the mugs because I get more than my money's worth from the DDP with just the meals.
Yeah, that $13 of total savings for 4 people that evaporated in front of our eyes was totally worth it.

Not a Staples member? I can help you with that. Membership normally costs $100, but I can get you in for $50. Let me know if you're interested in this incredible savings plan. I call it the SSP.

If you don't want to join the SSP, you can always send your teens on additional resort runs with the mugs. This is a good thing, because if there's one thing you don't get enough of on a Disney vacation it's walking. Did you get park hoppers? If so, you could run back to your resort to get refills between parks. Sure it's inconvenient, but consider it a savings off the park hopper price!

The DDP is the gift that keeps on giving!
Jonathan Swift is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #43
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate
 
TDC Nala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Not far enough outside the Beltway
Posts: 58,924
DISboards Moderator

Closing, now, because now it's just an argument that has nothing to do with the OP's question.
__________________
TDC Nala is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.