Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #9
magicbob
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
Not to jump back in here...but a couple of things...

Again, I don't think anyone is stating emphatically that an avatar ride/land will be horrid because of the movie being...well...what it was.

But...big BUT...I laugh at the twist of the argument that somehow the long term, broad impact of the content is NOT an issue for Disney. I have loosely called it "cultural phenomena" for lack of better terms.

Of course it is...because no matter what side of the avatar debate a person is on...

To question the longterm popularity of avatar passes the only judge on this board: the common sense test.

This IS common sense. The longterm is everything...an that is where avatars merits are highly debatable.

I'll give two examples:
Why was everyone so ga-ga over Harry potter land?
Because it has already shown broad appeal and impressive legs.

Why did Disney just buy Lucas...mostly Star Wars for 4 billion?
Perhaps because it has been the highest selling license brand for 10 of the last 11 years?
I'm sure...but why is that?
Jar jar binks? Crappy movies for the last decade?
NO!
Because it had widespread popular appeal for 30 years prior...

You know what that's called: a cultural phenomenon
You what else is one?
Mickey Mouse.

So back to avatar...
Made a lot of cash...sequels inbound...

But still there are no LEGS! Find a non-sci fi fan that has mentioned this movie in the last five years...

I dare ya...5 bucks on the line.

Whether you like Avatar or not, the question of whether it's a good business decision for Disney boils down to one thing... will it attract more visitors, thus generating more revenue.

This is where "cultural significance" or "cultural phenomenon" status comes into play.

I'll throw out some quotes or even a few single terms and I bet you can tell me where they come from:

May the Force Be With You.
Beam Me Up, Scotty. (I know... he never actually said the phrase quite like that)
I'm the King of the World!
Frankly, my dear... (I know that one is actually misquoted, too)
Follow the Yellow Brick Road
Play it again, Sam (another misquote, I know)
Quidditch
One life ends&another begins.
Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho...
Phone home.

Oh, wait... was there one in there you didn't recognize?

Cultural phenomenons become ingrained in our every day lives and speech. If people are not familiar with Avatar (that's that 3D movie about blue aliens, right?), it's not going to attract as many visitors as something that had a proven track record.

I'm sure there were a few outliers who didn't "get" Universal adding Harry Potter. But the vast majority of people greatly anticipated the addition because it HAD cultural significance. With Avatar, you have a much smaller fanbase and loads of people who don't even have a clue what it is. That's not going to generate the kind of buzz needed to attract millions more visitors a year.

Avatar is not an integral part of modern pop culture. It was a flash in the pan (a big flash to be sure), but making a lot of money does not make it a cultural icon. Maybe the sequels will succeed in cementing Avatars place in the pop culture... but as of now it's a big gamble to assume that millions will flock there to see Avatarland. They could be left with Ishtarland!

Ratatouille, the Ride!

Last edited by magicbob; 04-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.
magicbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: