Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #2791
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, is there much noise from the boats with the marina view?
hi Ziggy! Nice to see you here . I'm staying at GF for the first time in Aug, Pre YC of course it seems like there's not many bad views at GF. I'm torn between the marina view, and people watching with courtyard view! By August I hope to figure it out, lol.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Old 04-23-2013, 01:42 AM   #2792
Ziggy
Playing guitar with the spiders from mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
hi Ziggy! Nice to see you here . I'm staying at GF for the first time in Aug, Pre YC of course it seems like there's not many bad views at GF. I'm torn between the marina view, and people watching with courtyard view! By August I hope to figure it out, lol.
Hi there, I'm looking at all my options depending where DD is placed to work as a CM so its easier to see her as we're only going for a week and she won't get time off. My one memory of the GF marina was when we were on the boat to MK and two teens decided to 'moon' out the window, DD was about five and said they were very silly .
Register to remove

Old 04-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #2793
chinhk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Door to door is about 10 minutes at a moderate pace...it's a lovely walk once you get past the construction walls.
Quote:
When we stayed at Poly, we took monorail to GF for dinner, then decided to walk off dinner back to Poly. It took us 15 or 20 min at a slow stroll. Pretty walk along the lake.
Thanks for the replies and this amazing thread! Wouldn't have known that there is a walkway between GF and Poly if I'm not subscribed to this thread.

Previous trips
24-28 June 2004 Kyriad Hotel - Disneyland Paris
22-26 Dec 2004 Newport Bay Hotel - Disneyland Paris
3-6 April 2006 Santa Fe Hotel - Disneyland Paris
18-21 Dec 2006 Cheyenne Hotel - Disneyland Paris
11-16 July 2007 Disneyland Hotel (Castle Club) - Disneyland Paris
Feb 2010 Disney Animal Kingdom Lodge - Magic Kingdom
Dec 2011 Sequoia Lodge - Disneyland Paris
4 Feb 2012 - Hong Kong Disneyland
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #2794
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Thanks I'm a light sleeper too so shall make a note of that. Can you state which building you'd like to be in?
For marina view, other than RPC, I like Sago Cay.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #2795
coopersmom
DIS Veteran

Has anyone else seen this post with video (and sound) from the current construction at the Grand?

http://www.easywdw.com/uncategorized...h-at-kona-cafe

I gotta say, yikes, not surprising he also says that the Grand is having the lowest guest satisfaction ratings in Disney right now.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #2796
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Hi everyone! I am struggling with my ADR's...trying to remember the rule of thumb...how much time should I allow for travel to Epcot WS from the GF? Is it 90 minutes?
Thank you!

Grand Floridian Sugarloaf August 2010

Grand Floridian Summer 2013

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #2797
Ziggy
Playing guitar with the spiders from mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
Has anyone else seen this post with video (and sound) from the current construction at the Grand?

I gotta say, yikes, not surprising he also says that the Grand is having the lowest guest satisfaction ratings in Disney right now.
Crikey I don't like the sound of that work going on
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #2798
blueiis99
It's Disney Magic, you know!

Quote:

Oh goodness.... I guess I'm glad we can't go right now.
That sounds like my neighborhood, (we are victums of SANDY, so we hear a lot of that since that storm happened. ugh)

Me: Jeanne DH: Jay DD 27 Sydney DD 25 Jessica DD 14 Aliyah
Old 04-25-2013, 08:47 AM   #2799
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Quote:

To be honest, reading that was kind of a joke. While the noise stinks, and YES, it does, the article was clearly written by someone who really doesn't seem to like the deluxe resorts or the people that stay there. The entire thing was snotty and sarcastic and seemed like it was meant to belittle anyone associated w/ a deluxe. but okay, to each his own.

As for me, I'll take my beautiful Grand any day of the week. The beginning of the week we had our carpets cleaned. We had furniture and stuff everywhere so it was off the rug. Last year we had the bathrooms and kitchen torn up for remodeling. Did we say we hated our house? Of course not. We still paid the mortgage and lived there. It is what it is and every now and then things need to be refurbished or they go bad. I would rather the GF refurbish and update the resort than for it to go to shambles. Can you imagine the articles if the deluxes were left to deteriorate? Oy.

If the article deters people from going, that's certainly someone's perogative. We debated staying elsewhere while the construction was going on, but we kept coming back saying "it's just not the Grand". But the great thing about Disney are the choices you have.

As for me, in 37 days I'll be checking into the Grand for a fantastic vacation, regardless of the construction. Your vacation and happiness are what you bring yourself, not what someone else can provide. Now, if I get hit with a nail gun, my attitude might change......

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 04-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #2800
MagicPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
To be honest, reading that was kind of a joke. While the noise stinks, and YES, it does, the article was clearly written by someone who really doesn't seem to like the deluxe resorts or the people that stay there. The entire thing was snotty and sarcastic and seemed like it was meant to belittle anyone associated w/ a deluxe. but okay, to each his own.

As for me, I'll take my beautiful Grand any day of the week. The beginning of the week we had our carpets cleaned. We had furniture and stuff everywhere so it was off the rug. Last year we had the bathrooms and kitchen torn up for remodeling. Did we say we hated our house? Of course not. We still paid the mortgage and lived there. It is what it is and every now and then things need to be refurbished or they go bad. I would rather the GF refurbish and update the resort than for it to go to shambles. Can you imagine the articles if the deluxes were left to deteriorate? Oy.

If the article deters people from going, that's certainly someone's perogative. We debated staying elsewhere while the construction was going on, but we kept coming back saying "it's just not the Grand". But the great thing about Disney are the choices you have.

As for me, in 37 days I'll be checking into the Grand for a fantastic vacation, regardless of the construction. Your vacation and happiness are what you bring yourself, not what someone else can provide. Now, if I get hit with a nail gun, my attitude might change......
I totally agree- I thought the same exact thing when I read the article- very snarky and sarcastic.
I can't wait- 60 days!!!

Grand Floridian Sugarloaf August 2010

Grand Floridian Summer 2013

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #2801
cgulls
Mouseketeer

very minor construction update

When we were at GF last week, we could see on the DVC building that many of the sliding glass doors had been installed on the new building. So, progress.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #2802
pixie921
DIS Veteran

The article was interesting. I did definitely pick up a tone of bitterness towards the GF, and its guests. Strange. I do have to say, though, that we stayed in an RPC room last April that faced the Beach Pool, and it was really aggravating to have the jackhammering start first thing in the morning. Made it hard to enjoy the balcony. I agree that some kind of rate reduction/goodwill gesture might've been something Disney should've been considering during this time, but if bookings are still up, I suppose there is no incentive for them to do it.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #2803
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

God that article was ridiculous! I can't believe they published that! That whole bit about GF being full of ppl who can't afford to stay but you can fit in with your $40 LV bought at your neighborhood purse party there really ticked me off! I mean bitter & jealous much? I have only been able to afford to stay at GF one time & it was absolutely amazing!!

I can't always afford to stay deluxe but if there is a pretty decent discount we do! I've stayed GF CL, Poly CL 2x, CR CL, BC CL b/c my husband prefers this, he has a very very laborous job so he likes to be pampered on vacation & we not only use discounts but save all yr long for these trips, & splurge very little at home in fact we go out to eat MAYBE once a week a lot of times not any!

This Sept we will be at WL wish I could afford CL but we are lucky we are even going, I lost my job back in Aug & became a Disney TA working from home plus my mom wanted to do something nice for us so I'm very grateful & I certainly took offense to that snarky, bitter, extremely obnoxious article!!

Ok down off my soap box I go!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
Old 04-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #2804
thisismyusername
DIS Veteran

Yikes. Is that noise going on all day long? We have a cabana reservation in early June at the Beach Club pool. I'm kind of rethinking it if the pool's that noisy--I think we'd be better off headed over to the Courtyard pool instead and saving the $125 on the cabana. WWYD?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #2805
phyllis1966
DIS addict who eats vicariously through others on the Restaurant Board
It makes me feel old when a young whippersnapper calls me "ma'am"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyusername View Post
Yikes. Is that noise going on all day long? We have a cabana reservation in early June at the Beach Club pool. I'm kind of rethinking it if the pool's that noisy--I think we'd be better off headed over to the Courtyard pool instead and saving the $125 on the cabana. WWYD?
On our trip this past October, we sprang for a cabana for the first time ever, and we loved it! It will be a new tradition for us. However, the construction is so close that I really don't think it would be money well spent to rent a cabana at this time - not with that amount of noise.

May 2006::December 2006 - surprise 40th Birthday family trip!!!
November 2007::November 2009::November 2010
November 2011 - GF surprised us with upgrade to RPC-TPV!::October 2012 - GF surprised us again - upgraded to Sugarloaf for 20th Anniversary!::July 2014 - Aulani!

Our little family: DH and me ~ DD15 ~ Gracie
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: