Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Okh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 247

Upgrading - what would be the chances?

Now mind you, I'm not looking for a freebie, just a good deal. We're 16 days out and staying at POR. I love POR, but we stay there all the time and I'd like to maybe upgrade. I'm wondering what my chances of getting a good deal on an upgrade to deluxe would be as we get closer to our departure date and it becomes more apparent to Disney that some of their deluxe rooms might go unoccupied?

If there's a chance, how would I go about it?

Thanks!
__________________
“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.”
― Thomas Keller

Okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
jaceraden
DIS Veteran
 
jaceraden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Rural Canada
Posts: 731

Ask.

And ask about how much it would cost to upgrade. I think I've read before that people get defensive and less helpful if you come across that you are looking for a free upgrade.
__________________
Heather - Mom to a Princess, a King and Prince Diaper Pants
1992 offsite, 2001 offsite, 2010 ASSp, 2011 BC CL, 2013 POP
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran
 
tinkermommyof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okh View Post
Now mind you, I'm not looking for a freebie, just a good deal. We're 16 days out and staying at POR. I love POR, but we stay there all the time and I'd like to maybe upgrade. I'm wondering what my chances of getting a good deal on an upgrade to deluxe would be as we get closer to our departure date and it becomes more apparent to Disney that some of their deluxe rooms might go unoccupied?

If there's a chance, how would I go about it?

Thanks!

CRO CM's have offered me "Flex Offers" from time to time over the years. They are one time offers that pop up on their screen for a deal at a resort. Once you book you cannot change or modify the offer. You can call and see if there are any Flex Offers available.
__________________
tinkermommyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
chasgoose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 469

Unlike normal hotels, Disney doesn't typically offer last minute prices when they have a lot of extra rooms... You might get lucky and get a good deal to upgrade within your hotel when you arrive, but probably not to a different one. If you want to pay to upgrade you probably should book now, especially if there is an advertised discount available.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
DisneyRunner2009
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyRunner2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not near enough.
Posts: 1,667

I was upgraded from a standard room to a riverview room, last year at POR. I didn't know it until I got to the room. I'm sure it had to do with my requests more than anything else, upper floor, corner room. It was a great location! #pixiedust As I think about it, upgrading to a different resort usually happens at the values and then it is usually to SSR or OKW.
__________________
Blog: http://www.dashing2disney.blogspot.comTwitter:@dashing2disney
6/83 offsite, 6/05 POP, 6/06 POP, 8/07 POR, 8/08 CSR/POFQ, 3/09 ASMu Princess Half-Marathon,
8/09 ASMu Free DDP, 8/10 POR/ASMu Free DDP, 8/11 POP Free QSDP, 7/12 POR, 9/12 ASMu TOT10Miler, 11/12 POR/ASSp, 8/13 ASSp/POFQ, 9/13 POP, 8/14 CSR, Hoping 2/2015 resort with best AP discount


Last edited by DisneyRunner2009; 04-21-2013 at 02:36 PM.
DisneyRunner2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
angela3c
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5

lucky here

For some reason, we are always getting upgrades. We were upgraded to a suite at Music last year (I had only paid 82. a night, Florida discount rate and we have been upgraded to preferred several times. With some, such as the music, I noticed my reservation had changed on the reservation link a few weeks before, so it was decided early. I notice that at the POP, the earlier I check in, the more likely I am to get preferred instead of standard. Of course it may be the fact that we go to Disney every 3 months or so
angela3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran
 
MinnieLovesMickey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.
Posts: 2,095

I think your chances of an upgrade are 100% if you are willing to pay for it. Disney is not in the business of giving guests "good deals" to upgrade to deluxe resorts.

I think your chances of getting a discount on a deluxe hotel are 100% if you book a deluxe with a discount code.

But asking to be upgraded for a song and a dance are probably 0% chance.
__________________
10/27-11/6/11 All Star Music Family Suite (QSDP) --Family trip 1/26-2/1/12 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista --Adults Only trip
4/16-4/21/12 Rosen Inn --Adults Only Trip 10/27-11/4/12 All Star Music Family Suite (DDP) --Family Trip
4/14-4/19/13 Quality Suites Lake Buena Vista -- Adults Only Trip 11/10-11/16/13 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Adults Only Trip
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Okh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I think your chances of an upgrade are 100% if you are willing to pay for it. Disney is not in the business of giving guests "good deals" to upgrade to deluxe resorts.

I think your chances of getting a discount on a deluxe hotel are 100% if you book a deluxe with a discount code.

But asking to be upgraded for a song and a dance are probably 0% chance.
I was asking if Disney followed a common industry practice. No need for the tone.
__________________
“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.”
― Thomas Keller

Okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
chasgoose
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okh View Post
I was asking if Disney followed a common industry practice. No need for the tone.
To answer that question, Disney doesn't really follow common industry practices here. They do advertised discounts, but aside from that, they don't offer last-minute deals due to low occupancy. The only way you will get a last minute upgrade at Disney is if they overbooked you at your room level at your resort and they need to bump someone to make space. Even then, it's probably not going to get you bumped up to a deluxe resort from a mod.
chasgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
White Rose
Mouseketeer
 
White Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South NJ
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okh View Post
I was asking if Disney followed a common industry practice. No need for the tone.
From what I have seen Disney does not follow typical industry practice.

Many 'serious' Disney fans only go to Disney, they do not travel to other places..they are not experienced with how the rest of the chain hotels do things. Even someone who vacations once a year and stays at hotels does not have the kind of knowledge a business traveler has.

As a light business traveler married to a heavy business traveler, we realize Disney does not operate like chain hotels do - they do not reward you (as far as I can tell) for repeat stays, do not care if you go two times a year or two times in your life. They handle upgrades differently but still use a system to determine if/when you will upgrade you. Pay full price for your category? slightly better chance to get an upgrade. low occupancy in the category above you, but heavy occupancy in the category you are in? better chance.
book a premium or platinum stay? slightly better chance. Short stay? better chance. Going for a special occasion? slightly better chance.

We went twice on the platinum plan, celebration our honeymoon (2003) and our 5th anniversary (2008)

2003: AKL, paid for savannah view, asked for king bed. got savannah view room, double (queen?) size beds. Only other option was one bed and two bunk beds. (Possible Reason: crowded, columbus day, we got a buy 4 nights get 3 free nights deal, not a lot of chances for upgrade)

2008: Poly, paid for Theme Park View, got upgraded to club level HI bulding, MK View. (Possible Reason: went earlier in the month, very low park crowds, paid full price, 5th anniversary, CL was not full, Tahiti building was very full it seems facing the lagoon, which is where many of the MK view rooms are, platinum plan gets IPO and turndown service.)

We just hit a very lucky combination there.

My moto: Book the room you want and be happy when you get it. :P When we go for our 10th, we are pretty much doing the same trip we did for our 5th, but one day shorter and one day earlier. While we hope for an upgrade...we will just expect the room we paid for.. MK view, Poly.
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okh View Post
I was asking if Disney followed a common industry practice. No need for the tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rose View Post
From what I have seen Disney does not follow typical industry practice.

Many 'serious' Disney fans only go to Disney, they do not travel to other places..they are not experienced with how the rest of the chain hotels do things. Even someone who vacations once a year and stays at hotels does not have the kind of knowledge a business traveler has.

As a light business traveler married to a heavy business traveler, we realize Disney does not operate like chain hotels do - they do not reward you (as far as I can tell) for repeat stays, do not care if you go two times a year or two times in your life. They handle upgrades differently but still use a system to determine if/when you will upgrade you. Pay full price for your category? slightly better chance to get an upgrade. low occupancy in the category above you, but heavy occupancy in the category you are in? better chance.
book a premium or platinum stay? slightly better chance. Short stay? better chance. Going for a special occasion? slightly better chance.
I'll admit that I rarely travel for business and when I do it's to attend a conference and thus I stay at the site of the conference (and have received upgraded rooms gratis occasionally.)
I do, however, travel for pleasure, and would love to know which chain I should be booking that as a common industry practise will allow me for a slight increase in price to move from one of that chain's moderate hotels to one of it's premium hotels in a better location when rooms in the premium hotel are empty. I'm familiar w/ upgrades w/in a hotel itself, but to actually be moved to a better hotel in a better location (which is what OP was hoping to do) - which chain are you referring to?
thx.
__________________
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #12
White Rose
Mouseketeer
 
White Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South NJ
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I'll admit that I rarely travel for business and when I do it's to attend a conference and thus I stay at the site of the conference (and have received upgraded rooms gratis occasionally.)
I do, however, travel for pleasure, and would love to know which chain I should be booking that as a common industry practise will allow me for a slight increase in price to move from one of that chain's moderate hotels to one of it's premium hotels in a better location when rooms in the premium hotel are empty. I'm familiar w/ upgrades w/in a hotel itself, but to actually be moved to a better hotel in a better location (which is what OP was hoping to do) - which chain are you referring to?
thx.
It happeneds at Marriotts. (I'm sure it hapens at other chains too!) t's called "walking". For example, you booked a courtyard and a Marriott, owned by the same owner is 2 miles away, the Courtyard (think: moderate) is overbooked, but the Marriott (think Deluxe) is not - they will move (walk) you to the other chain hotel...sometimes when you are checking in...for free. I'm sure it happens for a fee too, if they have a new hotel opening or re-opening under new management that is underbooked...I could see this happening.

My hubby says it happened at a raddisson when he was in NYC, and actually it happened to us both on vacation at a hotel in Salem, Mass. We booked the Nathaniel Hawthorne, standard room, and when we went to check in, we were given a room in a bed and breakfast 2 room suite owned by the same owner as the Nathaniel Hawthorne. it was about 2 blocks from the hotel we booked.

Since Disney owns their hotels value through deluxe, an experienced traveler who has been 'walked' in the past might be hoping for this to happen on property, but it's not a common or even uncommon occurance, and I've only heard (through various boards) it happenening when the hotel was completely overbooked and sold out. (like maybe it mightt have happened in 2003 during the buy 4 get 3 days promotion?)

Last edited by White Rose; 04-22-2013 at 10:46 PM.
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #13
sndral
DIS Veteran
 
sndral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,555

I know about walking due to overbooking - in fact last time I was in Waikiki I was walked, but the posts suggested some chains allow this as industry standard w/out any reference to the original hotel being overbooked, interesting.
__________________
sndral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #14
White Rose
Mouseketeer
 
White Rose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South NJ
Posts: 274

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I know about walking due to overbooking - in fact last time I was in Waikiki I was walked, but the posts suggested some chains allow this as industry standard w/out any reference to the original hotel being overbooked, interesting.
I think a move-over for a fee is actually what he is hoping for...I was just thinking about this while talking to my hubby...Walking is not usually a volunteer situation. I think there would have to be a reason for a move over....maybe second hotel is under booked?

Last edited by White Rose; 04-22-2013 at 11:08 PM.
White Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #15
Okh
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 247

So to wrap this up, I called Disney to see what the price difference for an upgrade would be and got a really nice CM. We had a few laughs and then he quoted me $1900 over the POR preferred we had booked. We had a few more laughs over that and ended the call.

That's really it folks, just looking for a deal, not a freebie, not "a song and dance" - which was a hilarious misuse of a phrase btw, thank you. I don't understand why one wouldn't look for a better deal, honesty. A fool and his money and all that, you know?
__________________
“When you acknowledge, as you must, that there is no such thing as perfect food, only the idea of it, then the real purpose of striving toward perfection becomes clear: to make people happy, that is what cooking is all about.”
― Thomas Keller

Okh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.