Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
cheer25mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
We stayed for 10 nights last December. I am really glad we did it. We enjoyed the resort. It is absolutely beautiful.

However, we won't be staying there again. The room size was fine for our group of 3, but we usually stay at a value resort, and this was no different.

For us the issue was just the long haul from our room to the food court, gift shop and bus stop. Once we were in our room, it was just too much effort to go all the way back for anything. It changed the resort experience for us. We typically pay for a preferred room at the Pop and are back and forth to the food court and gift shop frequently. Not so in the LM rooms. We probably only used our refillable mugs 2 or 3 times all week. When we came back from the parks I'd say "Is it worth 2.50 (the price of just buying a drink while I was there) to go back to the room, get the mug and come back again?" And of course, the answer was no, and I'd just pay for a new one.

Because it's such a beautiful resort, I'd do it again if I were staying for 1 or 2 nights, but definitely not on a longer trip.

The Ursula or King Triton building is a little closer, but even that's not great. Because of the way the landscaping is set up, our room was closer to the LK section, but we had to walk back to the Ursula statue to even access the walkway to get out of the darn place.

That said, we're not lazy park-goers. We go park open to park close. We're on our feet all day. But at the end of the night after being on our feet all day....... it just seemed SO far away.
You summarized it better than i could. This was pretty much our experience. The room felt cramped and we just felt too far away form everything to really relax and enjoy ourselves. We rope drop to fireworks park people too, and by the time we got back to the resort, that walk back to LM was killer.
cheer25mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #17
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I like AoA-LM area. I have no issue with the walk back to the food court. The walks at other resorts is just as long, if not longer. But, then again, I don't make trips to the food court just to get soda refilled.
The rooms are fairly small. I don't think you can easily fit in a cot. You might be able to bring an Aero bed, twin sized and then put it up against the wall during the day, using it on the floor only at night. But, if you have more than 4, you won't be able to book the room, unless that 5th is under 3!

The buses are fine...pretty much the same as at Pop. And the food court is pretty normal...I never had any problem finding stuff to eat. Headed back there for two nights in June!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #18
ManyMinnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
We stayed for 10 nights last December. I am really glad we did it. We enjoyed the resort. It is absolutely beautiful.

However, we won't be staying there again. The room size was fine for our group of 3, but we usually stay at a value resort, and this was no different.

For us the issue was just the long haul from our room to the food court, gift shop and bus stop. Once we were in our room, it was just too much effort to go all the way back for anything. It changed the resort experience for us. We typically pay for a preferred room at the Pop and are back and forth to the food court and gift shop frequently. Not so in the LM rooms. We probably only used our refillable mugs 2 or 3 times all week. When we came back from the parks I'd say "Is it worth 2.50 (the price of just buying a drink while I was there) to go back to the room, get the mug and come back again?" And of course, the answer was no, and I'd just pay for a new one.

Because it's such a beautiful resort, I'd do it again if I were staying for 1 or 2 nights, but definitely not on a longer trip.

The Ursula or King Triton building is a little closer, but even that's not great. Because of the way the landscaping is set up, our room was closer to the LK section, but we had to walk back to the Ursula statue to even access the walkway to get out of the darn place.

That said, we're not lazy park-goers. We go park open to park close. We're on our feet all day. But at the end of the night after being on our feet all day....... it just seemed SO far away.
We used our mugs twice in the 8 days we were there; the day we arrived and the day we left.
ManyMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #19
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

We stayed in the Ariel building (furthest from the FC) during Thanksgiving week last year. We loved the resort and the decor throughout.

We didn't think that it was a bad walk. It was about 5 minutes or so and we went back to the FC a couple of times to fill up with hot chocolate on the cold nights. (FYI Bailey's Irish Cream is great with the hot chocolate) We felt like it was a better walk than from the 50's building at Pop. I think the decor walking through the Lion King area to get to the LM area made the walk easier since there was distraction.

The pools there are very nice. The only complaint about the pools was that they didn't have towels. You have to bring them from your room. Otherwise they were very nice. The Big Blue Pool was neat with the music underwater.

The LM rooms are small, but so are the other Values. With the two double beds my wife and I slept in one and our girls slept in another. I don't think it would work with two teens though. I'm 6'1" 240 and I was comfortable but I also didn't have to worry about personal space sharing the bed with my wife. I don't know about putting a cot or an air mattress. Possibly a sleeping mat/bag on the floor in front of the TV or near the sink area.

Here's a video of the room:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3N3IUX1nEGU

I agree with a PP about the sidewalk layout. It's not a straight grid setup so you tend to wander a bit to get out of the building area, around the pool, etc. This results in you sometimes walking past your room door and back tracking to get in or out of the building area.

I think that if the suites were a bit more affordable I'd go that route, but they are more expensive than two LM rooms. Another downside is that the LM rooms aren't typically discounted.

We found the bus system to be as good as Pop though. Dedicated line and reasonably fast.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip;Nov 2014 - Pop - MVMCP trip;Aug 2015 First DVC trip?
squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 AM   #20
Pats Dragon
DIS Veteran

For Christmas pop has lots of pretty Christmas trees in the lobby, food court and gift shop. We always sit in the corner of the food court next to "our own tree". They also have gingerbread houses made by cms and you get to vote for your favorite. Christmas music plays. I am sure aoa will have something similar.

šOš WDW every year since 1971 šOš
Pats Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:00 AM   #21
lightmoonstone
Mouseketeer

I stayed there for two weeks in November and loved it.
I was in the Triton building, on the side facing the parking lot and I loved that I could see the fireworks at night from the outside hall.
Yes, the walk to the main hall is long after a day at the parks, but everything is so brightly lit and eye-catching that it wasn't that much of a bother. Getting to see the different sections is very worth while as they are all lovely and well lit(I went alone with my mom, so for two ladies, we really felt safe there).
They played movies outside the Lion King building too, which I thought was good for families with small kids.
The food fare is definitely healthier than that of the other value resorts and, while I heard some people complaining about the cutlery situation, we were okay with anything that is going to be better for the environment in the long run.
One thing that I loved(though it scared me the first time I heard it) was a CM going for his break and yelling "Shark Bait!" and the other CMs responding with a chorus of "Ooh ha ha!"
2012- Art of Animation & All Star Movies
lightmoonstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #22
greendazy5
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone for all your advice ...I actually called to see if I could rent 2 LM rooms that are adjoining so we could have the extra bed for our 14 year old adult size son and then our daughter could also have a bed and not have to sleep on the floor. The difference between two LM rooms and a suite at AOA was about 1,000 difference so it would be worth renting two. The only thing I was told was I may not be able to get both rooms together...which I don't understand if I rent two rooms under the same name and ask for adjoining would they not get we are a family and need to have our rooms together. I would rent the rooms with my husband and son in one and myself and daughter in the other. I am hoping this may solve our problem and not break the budget. I am still looking for any advice and must see areas at the parks. This is our kids first visit ..my husband and I went with our older children back in the 90's many things have changed.
greendazy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #23
Jeanieblue114
DIS Veteran

From what I understand, they have to do connecting rooms if you have minor children in the other room. Just make sure it's noted on the reservation and when you check in, double check and if it isn't, just ask that they do it.
Usually they do all they can. But i would make note of minor children in the other room to prioritized connecting.

For the record, I've done camping cots at lots of disney rooms including value rooms.
We did it at Pop.
just pushed the table and chairs over to the window and put the cot along the wall where the table and chairs were.
not a problem.
My friend has also stayed in value room with 3 adults and one teenager total and Disney gave them a cot for the teenager and it was a value room (that was about 8 years ago though dunno the current policy).

But getting two rooms can be for the best just for having 2 bathrooms and more wiggle room as long as it's in the budget.
You aren't in the room very much, so a place to crash, even a sleeping bag might be all you need.
2003 Disney's Hilton Head Resort
2004 Disneyworld Good Neighbor Hotel
2004 Disneyland Good Neighbor Hotel
2005-2008 Disneyworld Good Neighbor Hotel Annually
July 2009 3 Nights Disney Good Neighbor
Sept-Oct 2009 5 Nights Disney's Old Key West
Feb-March 2010 Disney's Hilton Head Resort +1 month off-property
July Weekend off-property
September 2010 Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas-Jambo
December 2010 Disney's Old Key West Villas
Jeanieblue114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #24
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendazy5 View Post
The only thing I was told was I may not be able to get both rooms together...which I don't understand if I rent two rooms under the same name and ask for adjoining would they not get we are a family and need to have our rooms together.
I just want to clear something up for you. In Disneyspeak adjoining rooms are rooms that are next to or real close to one another. Connecting rooms are next to one another AND have an interior door that you connects the two rooms together. So you can go between the 2 rooms without going outside. I just want you to have your terms right so you can correctly request what you actually want.

Yes, the get the fact that you are a family and would like to be together but they just do not guarantee that. It is only a request. They will do everything they can to make sure you get your adjoining or connecting rooms. But it still is only a request.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #25
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

You can't put a cot in a value resort room. I can't imagine where you would put one. If you need a bed for an infant under 3 you can ask for a pack and play, but you won't be able to get a cot for a 13 year old.

Yes, you need to ask for connecting rooms, not adjoining rooms. But you should also remember that connecting rooms are not guaranteed, even for families, although they will try their best to get them for you if you request them.

If your kids can't sleep in the same bed and you are looking at two rooms then maybe consider a family suite if you really want to stay at AoA.

I've stayed at AoA/Little Mermaid once. From now on I will stay at Pop Century and just walk across to visit AoA if I am in the mood to see that resort or visit the food court (they had gelato so it'll probably get a visit.) This is not because I didn't like the place. A lot of people complain about the walk to the main building but it didn't bother me. What does bother me is that they charge more to stay there than they do to stay at the other value resorts. It's in demand, so it makes sense for them to do it, but I don't need to pay it.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 04-23-2013 at 09:22 AM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #26
greendazy5
Earning My Ears

Thank everyone for letting me know the difference between adjoining and connecting rooms. What I am hoping for is that they may run a special on the suites so we may upgrade to a suite. They never have specials on LM rooms because they are "value" rooms. This is what I am told. I was also looking at Fort wilderness cabins even though the decor is so opposite of AOA the bed issue would not be a problem and there is a full kitchen which we would love since we are not doing the food plan. But it also seems by photos to be so far away from everything...sometimes I get so confused on what to do ...having to accommodate everyone's needs as wants is exhausting . Since we are going to be there during Christmas checking in on the 22nd hopefully....I want it to be a room that is magical especially for my DD. and she loves all the rooms at AOA. I keep going back and forth..taking a chance on getting 2 connecting LM rooms...going to a suite...which now I hear has a Weight limit on the Murphy beds...or trying the cabins. Have not heard many people comment on the cabins...mostly on POR . Thanks again everyone for all your help it is very appreciated. Back to being confused.
greendazy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #27
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendazy5 View Post
Thank everyone for letting me know the difference between adjoining and connecting rooms. What I am hoping for is that they may run a special on the suites so we may upgrade to a suite. They never have specials on LM rooms because they are "value" rooms.
Actually it's not about them being "value" rooms, as they run specials on the standard value rooms at Pop and the All-Stars all the time. It's really just about the fact that those rooms sell out right now without discounts. You won't see them added to discount offers until they stop selling out at full price.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: