Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #1
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

Ordering Most Expensive Items while on DDP- Anyone Ever Try This?

MY DH is an eater. LOVES food, all kinds- especially steaks, ribs, expensive foods- lol. Anyhow, he has a goal to order the most expensive (that appeals to him) thing on the menu at every CS and TS restaurant while on our trip. We are keeping his receipts and going to see what he spent in relation to the price of the DDP.

He is doing it mostly for fun, but also b/c he loves food and is excited to not have to worry about budgeting too much while on vacation as it's already paid for.

Anyone ever try this-- what were your results-- did you see any savings or still pretty much break even. He won't be disappointed if he doesn't as that's really not his main goal-- just more of an interesting side activity (for lack of a better word) to keep track of while at the World.
April 2013
Next Trip- Labor Day 2014- SeaWorld- Aquatica- Legoland- MNSSHP- Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #2
bdklein
DIS Veteran

It's probably one of the few ways to actually save money for those who use the Dining Plan.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

I did it the first time we were on the Deluxe plan and saved a bit but we mostly did a character meal in the morning and had signature meals for dinner and the signature tend to be very expensive. I don't remember how much I saved as it was a few years ago but I can say it was a fair amount of money LOL Considering that the Portehouse at the Yachtman is $52 and it's only the entrée and once you add the app at $11(the cheapest0 and a dessert at $9. It gives you a total of $72 and the deluxe plan is around $100 I think this year. Factor in drink which would be around $2-3 and a character meal which is let's say $25(the cheapest I found) , that brings me over $100 and you still haven't touched your snacks yet. Let's say that Yachtman is not the most expensive place. I would say Narcoosse's would be way ahead if you take the surf and turf is $72 just for the entrée.

If it saves lots depends on the plan and it depends on the place where you are eating. that being said, I did it only at a few place as some higher price items did not sound that great that day and I didn't feel like eating meat all time LOL

That being said, we now use the plan all the time simply because we do lots of character meals and signatures and we always come out ahead as we have 4 kids but we rarely order the higher price item unless we really want it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

We always do DDP and I always save all my receipts make sure the cost is written on all of them and at the end of trip I add it up and see what I save and we saved EVERY trip!

This was going to Ohana, Cape May, Le Cellier, Cali Grill and many more. DH and DS19 are big steak, ribs kind guys and they ordered it at every meal! Im more of a pasta, chicken kinda gal but I did get steak once or twice..
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
amccu18007
DIS Veteran

We too, priced out one of our trips for fun and we came out ahead. Add to that my DH doesn't stress when out 14yo orders the most expensive thing on the menu every.single.time. and the dining plan is a win-win for our family.
March 11-19, 2009 CSR,March 10-18, 2010 POLY March 2-10,2011 BEACH CLUB, October 23-29,2011 BEACH CLUB March 13-22,2012 Offsite, October 3-6 2012 YACHT CLUB- Presidential suite!!! Whoo-hoo!! October 1-8 2013 POR (First trip for my parents!)June 23-27, 2014 CONTEMPORARY, Oct 17-24, 2014 YACHT CLUB

amccu18007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #6
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Last October when we were on the DDP (5 Disney adults) the guys in our party ate Steaks every night. They picked the most expensive thing on the menu every night. We had one CS every day and one TS every day and even ordering the most expensive thing on the menu we still only broke even on food costs. If you factor in the cost of the refillable mugs (that we don't use) then you save a little.

DDP for 5 adults is $275 a day ($55 per person) and our dinner ticket was $200 every night and out CS was about $60 a day. Add in 5 $4 snacks and we saved a total of $5 a day.

But considering the DDP was FREE for us we saved $275 a day!! I would never pay for the DDP.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 AM   #7
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Last October when we were on the DDP (5 Disney adults) the guys in our party ate Steaks every night. They picked the most expensive thing on the menu every night. We had one CS every day and one TS every day and even ordering the most expensive thing on the menu we still only broke even on food costs. If you factor in the cost of the refillable mugs (that we don't use) then you save a little.

DDP for 5 adults is $275 a day ($55 per person) and our dinner ticket was $200 every night and out CS was about $60 a day. Add in 5 $4 snacks and we saved a total of $5 a day.

But considering the DDP was FREE for us we saved $275 a day!! I would never pay for the DDP.
I agree with this. The recent price increases to the DDP makes it very hard to get ahead even if you buy the most expensive item.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
evabraniff
Mouseketeer

We are all big steak eaters... And good steaks seem to be costly. Lol so we ALWAYS come out ahead with the DDP

May 2012 : Coronado Springs
May 2013 : Caribbean Beach Resort
evabraniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
vacation_junkie
Have Suitcase...will Travel :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abharmagic View Post
MY DH is an eater. LOVES food, all kinds- especially steaks, ribs, expensive foods- lol. Anyhow, he has a goal to order the most expensive (that appeals to him) thing on the menu at every CS and TS restaurant while on our trip. We are keeping his receipts and going to see what he spent in relation to the price of the DDP.

He is doing it mostly for fun, but also b/c he loves food and is excited to not have to worry about budgeting too much while on vacation as it's already paid for.

Anyone ever try this-- what were your results-- did you see any savings or still pretty much break even. He won't be disappointed if he doesn't as that's really not his main goal-- just more of an interesting side activity (for lack of a better word) to keep track of while at the World.
We did this for fun last trip too and we would have saved $101 paying out of pocket. Our average meal was between $98-$138 (3 adult meal plans) and we ordered the most expensive thing on the menu.
Family Adventures Miami/Ft Lauderdale/Cocoa Beach/Daytona/ Texas/ St Thomas USVI/ Cuba/ Belize/ Jamaica/ Bahamas/ St Maarten/ Cozumel/ Costa Maya/Puerto Vallarta/ Honduras /Dominican Republic / Cayman Islands & Many...MANY Disney Land trips & Most recently Sailed the Disney Magic

vacation_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #10
collins316
Mouseketeer

I have done that, and we "saved"
I use the quotation marks becaue that is not what we would have eaten if we were on our own.
If we do the dining plan again, I may track what we eat, vs. what we would have ordered if no dining plan, to see if there is still a savings. I dont think there will be.
And also, since you are paying tip on what the bill would be, tip is larger when you oeder the more expensive items. Just something else to factor in for your tracking game.
Bernie
Old 04-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
Do you not ever get a % off room rate? Do you *always* pay rack rate? That's the *only* way you could say the DDP was free and you saved $275 a day.

Most of the time there are discounts on rooms. If so, you would have to subtract the discount amount from the DDP amount to get the *true* savings. I, personally, would never pay rack rate. The DDP is not free.
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
tarheelmjfan
Proud Redhead
Does anyone have any more secrets to add?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collins316 View Post
I have done that, and we "saved"
I use the quotation marks becaue that is not what we would have eaten if we were on our own.
If we do the dining plan again, I may track what we eat, vs. what we would have ordered if no dining plan, to see if there is still a savings. I dont think there will be.
And also, since you are paying tip on what the bill would be, tip is larger when you oeder the more expensive items. Just something else to factor in for your tracking game.
Bernie
I was going to say the same thing. To accurately calculate what you saved you would have to figure out the difference in the amount of gratuity you paid vs. what you realistically would have paid if you weren't trying to max out your bill, then subtract that from your total saved. It appears a lot of people fail to consider this, when pricing out the plan. (I'm not saying the OP did.) OTOH, if you're just doing the calculation for fun & want to feel good about your decision, you could forget that little tidbit. It wouldn't be accurate, but it's your vacation & your rules. Having kids 9 & under + eating at a lot of character meals is the most obvious way to see a savings with DDP. Otherwise, you really need to be creative to save anything.
(")_(")

tarheelmjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
bdklein
DIS Veteran

I wonder how many groups go to WDW on the DDP thinking they are going to order the most expensive items on the menu but then order pasta or chicken. Or think they want dessert twice a day and either only take a bite or two or just don't even order it after a while. And get annoyed if someone in their group deviates from the plane. Or never use the mugs, or use them just because they have it. Bet a lot
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Do you not ever get a % off room rate? Do you *always* pay rack rate? That's the *only* way you could say the DDP was free and you saved $275 a day.

Most of the time there are discounts on rooms. If so, you would have to subtract the discount amount from the DDP amount to get the *true* savings. I, personally, would never pay rack rate. The DDP is not free.
We have never used a room only discount. And YES the dining plan is actually 100% free. I booked my vacation paying rack rate for 9 nights in a family suite. Booked and paid for. Then the free dining promo came out and I added it to our already booked and paid for reservation. BOOM. FREE DINING IS FREE. It saved us $275 a day not having to pay for the dining plan.

If you save 20% off a value room that would have saved us about $40 a night. Taking the free dining with 5 Disney adults saved us $275 a night.

Just because you pay full price rack rate for the room doesn't mean the dining isn't free. That is just a silly way to look at things. If you go into JCPenneys and pay full price for a pair of jeans to get a tank top free, just because you didn't get a discount on the jeans doesn't mean the tank top wasn't free.

Usually ppl who don't like the dining plan are the ones who will come into these threads and say THE DINING PLAN ISN'T REALLY FREE. Yes it is.

If you have 5 Disney adults in a room there will never be ANY DISCOUNT that is a better discount than free dining. Even if you are in a $400 a night room and get a 35% off room discount the free dining for 5 adults will still be double the discount the room only discount is.

Even if there are only 2 of us and we stay in a mod ($180 a night) a 25% room only discount would save us a little over $40 a night. The free dining would save us $110 a night. So no matter how you look at it, unless you are just 2 ppl and you are staying in a $400 a night room and get 30% or better room discount, the free dining will always save you more. Period.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Bete
DIS Veteran

You have to be savy, but this definitely works to your advantage on the regular dining plan (1TS and 1 CS).

To make the most of it you have to choose the most expensive places to eat, too. All TS is not exactly equal. Using 1TS for a Fantasmic package is an excellent deal; because, you get the preferred seating at the show and at MaMa Melrose you get an appetizer included; because, it's a package deal. On CS there are some combo meals like ribs and chicken at Cosmic Rays in MK, for example, that is really value on the plan.

We have done this quite often and I'm pleased with the value. In regards to the tip needing to be bigger, you still leave a tip anyways. You just add a little more for the more expensive meal.

I will say we are free dining oriented and we only paid once in about a dozen trips for the DP.
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: