DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Whirlbex
Earning My Ears

Purchasing/reservation questions

We are currently looking to purchase DVC points but had a few questions. If we purchase now we probably won't close until mid-June. We'd like to make a trip either the week of 9/20 or 11/3. We are somewhat flexible, and are willing to split the stay between 2 resorts. However, due to having 4 kids (9, 7, 3 and 4mo) we pretty much have to get a 2 bedroom wherever we go. What's the likelihood of getting a reservation? Does it matter what home resort we buy if we normally don't book 11 months in advance? My husband is active duty military and we sometimes don't even know where we will be living in the next 11 months! (We can usually do 7mo out though).
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #2
DizBub
Totally Addicted

You may get lucky for the week in Sept but probably not for anytime in Nov. You will have the best luck at SSR, OKW or AKV simply because they are the largest resorts and have more rooms.

The end of Sept begining of Oct throught mid Nov is Food&Wine then the Halloween parties start. There are races scheduled during that time also. Then Christmas decorations go up and the Christmas parties start. Very popular time for DVC and there won't be much availability the longer you wait to book.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Whirlbex
Earning My Ears

So, there is a possibility of no availability anywhere? That's what we are scared of.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlbex View Post
We are currently looking to purchase DVC points but had a few questions. If we purchase now we probably won't close until mid-June. We'd like to make a trip either the week of 9/20 or 11/3. We are somewhat flexible, and are willing to split the stay between 2 resorts. However, due to having 4 kids (9, 7, 3 and 4mo) we pretty much have to get a 2 bedroom wherever we go. What's the likelihood of getting a reservation? Does it matter what home resort we buy if we normally don't book 11 months in advance? My husband is active duty military and we sometimes don't even know where we will be living in the next 11 months! (We can usually do 7mo out though).
If you are OK with taking your chances due to the fact that you can't book at 11 months then do the math and other due diligence to see if DVC is a good fit.

Would it be better to wait until he gets a permanent duty station?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Whirlbex
Earning My Ears

We are at a "permanent" station right now. We have been to Disney at least once a year for the last 5 years, sometimes more often. We are Florida residents so we get annual passes every year. We will try to reserve earlier in the future, but won't be able to this year.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
DizBub
Totally Addicted

Quote:
So, there is a possibility of no availability anywhere? That's what we are scared of.
Well, there's always that possibility on short notice. It really depends on the time of year. Like I mentioned before, Fall through New Years is always crowded. Not absolutely impossible because people do cancel and something can open up last minute but I wouldn't count on it. People waitlist in order to get something like that. Even then you may have to piece together a stay by moving around from resort to resort.

DVC works best for people who can plan at 11 and 7 months. If you should buy a contract and close at the end of June I think you may have a fair shot at something in Sept. If not, then you will have your contract and be able to plan for the next year and for many years in the future.

If you are worried about having a place to stay, why not book something for cash and if you can get something on your points you can cancel the reservation.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

As mentioned, 5 months out for one of the busier DVC times might be tough to get your entire vacation booked at the same resort. That's not to say that you could not secure something but you may be forced to split stay and wait list. So, for this year, it is going to be hit or miss when you are actually ready to book. In the future, booking closer to 7 months will give you more chances to get what you want.

As mentioned, DVC works best the farther out you book. Any time a member can't, they have to go in with the mind set that they may not be able to get what they want.

Good luck!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #8
Whirlbex
Earning My Ears

We are very flexible and actually prefer to stay in different places, so I'm hoping it won't be a huge deal. Waiting now to find a property that will work. First one we made an offer on, the sellers had just got back from HH and changed their minds about selling!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

With your youngest being that young, you can also consider a 1BR. I think those are the last to go.

I'm pretty sure you're going to get them at AKL, SSR and OKW.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are very flexible and actually prefer to stay in different places, so I'm hoping it won't be a huge deal. Waiting now to find a property that will work. First one we made an offer on, the sellers had just got back from HH and changed their minds about selling!
The problem is you're already in late-April and it takes 2-3 months from the time you have a signed contract until you're in the Disney system. So you might want to have a backup cash reservation in case your purchase drags into late June or even early July.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
kenspidey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

The problem is you're already in late-April and it takes 2-3 months from the time you have a signed contract until you're in the Disney system. So you might want to have a backup cash reservation in case your purchase drags into late June or even early July.
Of course if you are willing to go earlier in Sept before food and wine you should be able to book somewhere easily.
kenspidey is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: