Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
freepixie
Tanoshi
Dale kept taking my napkin
And here I thought only the Yeti would eat people

Scooters/bus

I know this has probably been asked a gajillion times

This fall we are staying at the Boardwalk for the very first time- we usually stay at the Poly! My aunt rents a scooter from off-site, so this will be the first time for us using the bus to get to the MK.

My aunt is totally freaked out by the idea of getting the scooter on and off the bus, so I have volunteered myself to do it.

My question- will people be looking at me funny or get mad at me for doing this for my aunt? Also, is it super hard to get the scooters on and off the bus? I'll be honest, I'm nervous about doing it myself, but I would do anything for my aunt to make it a good, easy, fun vacation for all of us!!

Thanks!
freepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
disney david
DIS Veteran

Don't worry what other say you and your aunt has every right to board the bus safe just like everyone else. If that mean you take the ecv on because she dose not feel comfortable that what it means. The drivers will help you and just worry about having fun and getting to places safe. A lot of people do that it is easy to board but if you never did the first time might be hard but after you do it and see it then after you should be okay. It still amazes me that people spend all that money to go to Disney but then spend their time being a holes and saying comment they shouldn't or giving looks. So please go the board walk inn is my favorite resort and you will not be disappointed and might find then better then the poly. The mk makes first stop at board walk then goes to swan and dolphin and then mk so you the first stop coming from mk and going to mk.

If you need help ask the driver they can guide you some will help park it even though it against Disney policy for them to touch the ecv. But most are willing to help I guess they feel weird standing their and not helping they just want you to have a safe and fun ride. You my get a few driver that are bad apples but I say 99.5 percent are great so don't worry just have fun.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #3
freepixie
Tanoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Don't worry what other say you and your aunt has every right to board the bus safe just like everyone else. If that mean you take the ecv on because she dose not feel comfortable that what it means. The drivers will help you and just worry about having fun and getting to places safe. A lot of people do that it is easy to board but if you never did the first time might be hard but after you do it and see it then after you should be okay. It still amazes me that people spend all that money to go to Disney but then spend their time being a holes and saying comment they shouldn't or giving looks. So please go the board walk inn is my favorite resort and you will not be disappointed and might find then better then the poly. The mk makes first stop at board walk then goes to swan and dolphin and then mk so you the first stop coming from mk and going to mk.

If you need help ask the driver they can guide you some will help park it even though it against Disney policy for them to touch the ecv. But most are willing to help I guess they feel weird standing their and not helping they just want you to have a safe and fun ride. You my get a few driver that are bad apples but I say 99.5 percent are great so don't worry just have fun.
Thanks so much! We are looking forward to the Boardwalk because we can walk/scoot to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios!! So really, we will only use the bus for MK and AK, we usually only go to AK 1 time during our vacation That is awesome to know that we are the first pick up and drop off for the MK!! Wow
Old 04-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

Parking is not hard as you think. The bus drivers are almost always helpful and some just park for you. The only time i have much trouble is the super old buses where the steps flatten down into a lift which you must back onto. The lift rises and you back onto the bus and then park. DH always has to help me line up straight onto the lift and I often still miss. With that said we usually only see that type of bus 2 to 3 times in a trip.

Also, with MK, if you have hoppers you could always go thru Epcot to the Monorail. When we stayed BWV with my dad in a wheelchair years ago, we found it took a bit more time, but was much easier to just do it that way for him.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freepixie View Post

Thanks so much! We are looking forward to the Boardwalk because we can walk/scoot to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios!! So really, we will only use the bus for MK and AK, we usually only go to AK 1 time during our vacation That is awesome to know that we are the first pick up and drop off for the MK!! Wow
For ak board walk is the last stop they go from swan to board walk so you could try to go over to ether the swan or dolphin which one first I forgot and board their so it won't be crowded when it get to be if it a busy season. You might be better off trying to go to ak from Dhs It be less stops and i don't think they will go to blizzard beach first like they do when you take the ak bus from the resorts but you see which is better for you.

Last edited by disney david; 04-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
disney david
DIS Veteran

Just a tip once the scooter tied down you can transfer t a seat it safer then riding most likely the driver will ask you to.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
disney david
DIS Veteran

Here a video that show how to board the bus but it a wheelchair it be the same in a scooter.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxDFPPnIFE

Old 04-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

i have loaded a scooter on the buses many times. if she can make around the lines for rides, she can load the buses. all the drivers i have had will help getting in the right way. the one time i was so tired that i just could not get it right the driver had me get off and sit in seat. he then got in no problem. i had more trouble getting around on ferry to campground than buses but even that was not bad by end of week. if you do end up parking for her, i would have her drive on then you park it if needed.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

You may find it easier to put it in neutral and push it into place when in tight quarters.

Put it back into gear to keep it from rolling around.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

Relax! Disney bus drivers are extremely patient with ECV people. They will help you, and don't want to see you upset. You might be "nervous" now - and maybe for the first time or two -- but you will soon be a pro at it!

To the OP - I think you are to be admired for wanting to help your Aunt. No one should criticize you for helping her.

"Relax & Enjoy" your vacation. One tip is to take things slowly. Use the turtle setting on the scooter when you are unsure of how to operate it in certain circumstances. When confidence is gained - you can increase the speed accordingly. You will be fine!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
GrammyJudy
DIS Veteran

Parking it on the bus is like parellel parking a car so I suggest she go to a big store like wALMART AND PRACTICE BACKING UP AND PARKING. tHE ecv YOU RENT ARE MUCH EASIER TO DRIVE THAN THE ONES IN THE STORES. i PREFER THE 3 WHEEL AS IT IS EASIER TO MANUER THROUGH THE RIDE QUESES
Old 04-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
freepixie
Tanoshi

Thanks so much everyone for your help!! I just want to make sure I do it right LOL!! My aunt is really skiddish about doing this, she has been through a lot lately, so we want to make sure she has a stress-free trip
Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
Betty Rohrer
DIS Veteran

if parking scooter on bus is causing stress wait til she has to go thru crowds. prople will walk right in front of you. have your aunt try one out at a walmart on a busy day. i will take parking on bus any day and yes i use a scooter. esp practice backing up while turning. have her try one anytime she can before you leave. the more you use one the easier it comes.
Betty Rohrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #14
freepixie
Tanoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Rohrer View Post
if parking scooter on bus is causing stress wait til she has to go thru crowds. prople will walk right in front of you. have your aunt try one out at a walmart on a busy day. i will take parking on bus any day and yes i use a scooter. esp practice backing up while turning. have her try one anytime she can before you leave. the more you use one the easier it comes.
Oh she is fine with the crowds- she has been using a scooter on our vacations for the last several years! When the crowds get really tight, my mom will usually walk in front of her so nobody can cut her off, and I walk to the side of her and help direct her for what is ahead. She has managed the 4th of July crowds with ease Just the parking on the bus has her freaked out!! She does perfect with the monorail!!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

make sure your aunt practices maneuvering in elevators because at the BWI you have to ride up to the lobby from the Boardwalk level in one elevator, then transfer to another elevator to get to the rooms.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: