Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Paying baggage fees for trip home?

We're flying Airtran and plan on using onboard airline check-in. How will we pay our baggage fees? I have a $155 AT credit that can be used for bag fees but I'm uncertain how it works for the flight home if DCL takes my bags to the airport.

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
clten
DIS Veteran

Disney automatically charges the baggage fees to your onboard account. They do not use credits or perks for status that some get for free luggage. That you have to work out with the airline. But to use your credits and not have to pay/get a refund from the airline, you don't use onboard airline check-in and check your bags yourself at the airport.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
tamlynnk
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by clten View Post
Disney automatically charges the baggage fees to your onboard account. They do not use credits or perks for status that some get for free luggage. That you have to work out with the airline. But to use your credits and not have to pay/get a refund from the airline, you don't use onboard airline check-in and check your bags yourself at the airport.
Do they ask how many bags you are checking in before assessing a charge?
tamlynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
clten
DIS Veteran

Yes. You have to enroll to be included in the onboard airline program (it is not automatic just because you are on a participating airline). When you fill out the paperwork (you turn this in at check in or at guest services once you are onboard, it isn't part of the online check-in process), you have to list each person that will be participating, their flight # and how many bags each individual will be checking.
clten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

If you want to use your free bag credits or upgrade to business, (which gives free bags), definitely do not use the onboard check-in for Airtran. You will be charged for the bags on your onboard account, and there are no refunds from the airline. They also check you in earlier than 24 hours in some cases, we got our boarding passes two days before the flight on the one cruise that we did the onboard check-in.

One more thing on Airtran, if you do not have seat assignments attached to your reservation, the cruise line will just seat you anywhere, the group will not be kept together. I would hope this could be corrected at the airport, but with flights being almost 100% full these days, you never know.

On Airtran, we always try to upgrade to business, so we have learned not to use the OB check-in when we fly them.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Thanks! We paid for our seat assignments already so I'm not worried about that. It looks like we won't be using the onboard checkin. I'm trying to save as much money as possible.

Do we still put our bags out the night before and just pick them up in the terminal before getting on the DCL bus to MCO?

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: