Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Pregnant and In Pain - Ideas for WDW?

Hi All!

I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child, and I'll be about 28 weeks pregnant when we're at WDW in the end of May. I know there are a few rides that I can't go on, but I was still hoping to enjoy our family vacation!

I've been having some severe pelvic girdle pain. It started a month ago and I'm working hard to get it to improve, but progress is slow. Even massage therapy only 'resets' me for about 2 days and then the pain is back. My therapy is daily exercises and modifications.

I don't want to slow my family down (I'm traveling with my husband, our daughter, my brother, his girlfriend, and my mom), but I don't want to be hurting the whole vacation either! Pretty much everything is painful: walking, sitting, lying down.

Everything is paid for and I don't want to miss my daughter's first trip to WDW!

What do I need to plan ahead in order to accommodate my restricted movement and painful days? It's hard to tell when I'll be hurting, but I don't want to miss out on something I should have planned and miss out on the fun.

(Please let me know if this is the appropriate place for this discussion. I realize that pregnancy itself is not a disability, but the pain I'm having certainly is. I haven't had a chance to read all the wonderful information in the subforum, but I will do that ASAP!)
Old 04-21-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

My only tip is that you may want to avoid the safari. It can be bumpy especially towards the back of the vehicle. I'm 27 weeks and my belly is sticking way out (I'm short and baby has no where to go but out) and just going over potholes in my car hurts. I love the safari but can't imagine riding it right now. I don't think it's unsafe, I just think it would hurt!
I'm going to buy a support belt today to see if that helps me. But it sounds like you've already tried that?
Also, I bet they would let you use the baby centers and first aid to rest and our your feet up if needed.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
Hi All!

I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant with our 2nd child, and I'll be about 28 weeks pregnant when we're at WDW in the end of May. I know there are a few rides that I can't go on, but I was still hoping to enjoy our family vacation!

I've been having some severe pelvic girdle pain. It started a month ago and I'm working hard to get it to improve, but progress is slow. Even massage therapy only 'resets' me for about 2 days and then the pain is back. My therapy is daily exercises and modifications.

I don't want to slow my family down (I'm traveling with my husband, our daughter, my brother, his girlfriend, and my mom), but I don't want to be hurting the whole vacation either! Pretty much everything is painful: walking, sitting, lying down.

Everything is paid for and I don't want to miss my daughter's first trip to WDW!

What do I need to plan ahead in order to accommodate my restricted movement and painful days? It's hard to tell when I'll be hurting, but I don't want to miss out on something I should have planned and miss out on the fun.

(Please let me know if this is the appropriate place for this discussion. I realize that pregnancy itself is not a disability, but the pain I'm having certainly is. I haven't had a chance to read all the wonderful information in the subforum, but I will do that ASAP!)
I cancelled our spring break trip as soon as I found out I was going to be 24 weeks pregnant during it. I have a history of anemia during my pregnancies, so I knew there's no way I'd be able to enjoy it. We're going Thanksgiving week instead with our 4 month old DD#3.

-------------
Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
ptlohmysoul
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakaiii View Post
Hi All!

What does your doctor/midwife say? The safari is WAAAAYYYY too bumpy for being pregnant. WDW has a list of what not to go on when you are pregnant. Don't go on any of those rides, unless you don't mind putting your baby at risk! Don't feel guilty for wanting to be part of your child's special trip. Try to see her face when you first get there. She will enjoy it no matter what (even if you have to make her slow down so you can sit for a while). You need to take care of you and the baby. Some suggestions - if you feel you need to rest, maybe check out WDW's baby care centers or first aid centers? otherwise, you could go back to the room, asking everyone to take pictures/videos of your daughter. Just be sure to get some pics with your daughter and you too!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
Piper
DIS Veteran

First and foremost--check with your doctor. Also, if you are going to fly, some carriers have restrictions.

I really don't know that Disney could do anything for you. You say both walking and sitting cause problems, so renting an ECV wouldn't help. Since there are no places to sit in most lines and no front of the line access, I don't know what could be done.

If it were me and I was having the problems you are, I would probably stay home. It would not be worth it to put myself and child into jeopardy. And I'd also think about how my difficulties would impact the enjoyment of my party.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

I think I might have been a bit unclear...

I know which rides I can and can't go on. I'm not worried about missing rides, but I want to be there for my daughter and to enjoy it with her.

Also, my condition does NOT put my baby at risk, nor would I go on any rides that would put him at risk. I've lost 3 babies in the past year to miscarriages (no known cause, and all before the 12 week mark). I've fought very hard for this pregnancy and baby.

What I am looking for... suggestions for touring the parks or managing my trip that won't aggravate my pelvic pain. I haven't been to WDW (just DL a couple times when I was younger).
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Gracie09
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you're having a tough time. I would trya pregnancy belt. It may help ease sw of the pain. Maybe schedule a prenatal massage half way through and have one right before you go. It may help ease some things. Consider renting an ECv. Even if you don't use it all the time it's a good way to ensure you have a seat when needed Take advantage of the first aid station to rest if you need it. Drink plenty of water.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #8
akcire
Mouse expert, computer challenged
I am flushing myself to Disney

Pregnancy belt

Try wading in water chest deep. I'd try this at home now. Even water walking. Not fast. A nice slow stroll. If it starts to make you feel better get some water shoes for the strolls. If it works you can go it at Disney too

I know people who swear by sitting on yoga ball
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

I've been to Disney pregnant 3 times. The first time was easy as I actually was only 2 weeks and found out while on vacation. The second time was the same pregnancy and at 5 months. I was fine and able to ride some rides and walk around. Then I went again during my second pregnancy at 7 months. My doctor did not want me walking around as he feared that I would have contractions and so I rented a scooter. It was a good thing too because I really couldn't walk much as I would get cramps. The scooter helped so much. If you are worried about keeping up with everyone, I highly recommend renting a scooter. Also, I went in the end of January/early February and it was chilly most of the days. However, a few days it got hot and my feet and ankles literally blew up. Since you are going in May, it will be hot all the time. Make sure to drink plenty of water and monitor your feet and ankles for swelling.

Even though I had used the scooter, I started having contractions when I got home and started to dilate and was put on bedrest. I suggest taking it slow and listening to your body. My doctor told me that he knew of lots of women who attempted to do Disney World pregnant and on foot and wound up having to be admitted to the hospital and unable to leave Florida until after they had given birth.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

This is a fine place for this discussion, although as others mentioned, check with your doctor before going.
It sounds like you will be in some pain wherever you go, so if the doctor says it's still fine to go, being in pain at WDW may not e much worse than being in pain at home.
Personally, I would reschedule to avoid being in pain on my DD's first trip. Since the pain is pregnancy related, you do have an 'end point' for it to plan a different time.

If you decide to go, don't worry about slowing down the other members of your group. If you need to go slower some days, there is really no way around it - as another poster mentioned, not listening to your body could cause problems.

If lying down will help, you can go to First Aid in any park. They have cots in private rooms, cubicles or semi-private rooms, where you would be able to lie down. You do need to check in at First Aid (they need a running count of who is using First Aid and what the reason is for their records).

You probably want to vary what you are doing, so you are not spending long periods doing one thing/in one position. I would suggest alternating short attractions where you have to get in and out with longer ones where you will stay put for a while. You don't know what effect all the getting in, ride for 90 seconds to a few minute, then get out will have on your pain.

The disABILITIES FAQs thread (follow the link in my signature or look near the top of this board) has some posts that will be helpful to you.

Post 23 on page 2 has a list of attractions with warnings for pregnancy - I know you mentioned you are already aware of them, but I have found that people often think some, like Soarin' have warnings when they do not.
And, it's better to know for sure that something has a warning than to think it doesn't.

Posts 18-21 have information about which rides may be difficult to get in and out of. Some of those are gentle rides with no warnings, like Small World, where the ride will not be an issue, but stepping down into the boat (and back out again) may be difficult for you if you are having a painful day.

Post 22 is a list of attractions where guests need to send for a period of time (mostly waiting for the next show) unless they have a mobility device with them.

Post 28 is a list of attractions with moving walkways or stairs, which may be n issue if you are having a bad day.

WDW is a very large place and it's important to realize how much walking is involved per day in a trip to WDW. We just got back and I measured the distance for the first time on this trip - we averaged around 6 miles per day!
If you are not walking that much, you don't know what kind of effect that sort of distance will have on your pain - another reason to take things slow and easy.

Post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread is about renting wheelchairs and ECVs; you will probably need something during your trip. Post 32 on page 2 is about walkers and some special walkers with old own seats, called rollators.
Each one has their own pluses and minuses. All mobility devices can be parked with he strollers at attractions if you feel like walking. Many people use the mobility device to get from on general area to another, walk around in that area, then use the mobility device to get to the next general area.

So, you don't need to use the mobility device 100% of the time. At theater shows, you can also decide to transfer to a theater seat if you like.

ECVs are motorized mobility devices, so they give more independence and no one would need to push you.
It can be tiring to use one because the driver needs to be watching what is going on at all times - people tend to dart out in front of you and you need to be ready to stop.
There are some attractions that are wheelchair accessible, but not ECV accessible, so if you are not able to walk in line, you will need to transfer to a wheelchair for those attractions.
If you choose to walk for a while, you will either need to park it or another adult in your group will need to drive it.
If you rent from one of the offsite places, it cn be transported fom your hotel to the parks on most of the WDW transportation. You can also rent a model that can be taken apart for transport in a car trunk.

Wheelchairs that are for rent (off site or from the parks) are generally not set up for the user to propel; they tend to be heavy and the wheels are set farther back than ould be optimal for pushing it yourself.
That means you would be pretty much dependent on someone pushing you to get around. But, you can sit in it and be pushed, walk behind it and use it like a walker for support or park it and walk instead. It sounds like you will probably have enough people in your group to push you.
All attractions are wheelchair accessible to the point of boarding (with the exception of a couple like Swiss Fmily Robinson Treehouse, where guests must be ble to walk).
As with ECVs, wheelchairs cn be transported on WDW transportation. You can also choose to fold it and load it onto the bus like a stroller, folded and held by one member of your group.

Rollators are also able to be rented from offsite places. They can be brought into any lines the same as a wheelchair. With a rollator, you do need to walk, but it does provide support while walking, along with a seat whenever you need it.

May in general is a good time to visit - late enough to miss all the Spring break crowds and early enough to miss Summer crowds. But, as was already mentioned, it can be very hot and dehydration can cause contractions, o you want to watch your water intake.

"Little kid" schedule -up early, play then lunch and an afternoon nap - is also a good scedule for pregnant women. Getting to a park early is also the way to have the shortest waits.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

Thank you Sue and to others who shared their stories!

I'm going to work my way through the previous post and read the FAQ. Tons of great info there. Thanks!

I think renting a scooter is the way to go. My mom might want to use it if I'm doing well that day, so that might work out okay. She was in a motorcycle accident 35 years ago and has no feeling in one of her legs. She usually does fine, but between the two of us, I think we'll get good use out of a scooter!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

People on here highly recommend renting one off site. That way you can use it at the resort and DTD also. Scooters at the parks are first come, first served so you are not guaranteed to get one, especially if you park hop later in the day. Plus, it is significantly less expensive to rent one off site.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
Old 04-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #13
DisneyFansInLINY
DIS Veteran

google offers has a 10% off coupon for a scooter rental in Orlando expires at the end of July
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
DLgal
DIS Veteran

I had this same problem during my second pregnancy. It is awful. By 28 weeks, I was on modified bed rest due to preterm labor that happened around the 26 week mark. I had no history of such a thing, and it was a complete surprise.

You need to be very careful with this, as it gets progressively worse as the pregnancy advances. You could end up injured if you try to do too much.

My advice is to plan for a LOT of pool time. It is the only thing that will make you feel better. I would recommend only doing parks every other day, but not sure how you feel about that. It will be good to give your body a chance to rest and recover.

Renting a scooter or wheelchair would be a good idea. Even if you have pain while sitting, you are not aggravating the hip joints while doing so, and it's a safer alternative to walking.

My honest opinion is you should cancel the trip. "Everything is paid for" is a great reason to purchase vacation insurance in the future. I understand why you don't want to cancel, but making plans that are not flexible when you are pregnant is bound to backfire on you. I wish you luck, but my personal experience with this is that no vacation is worth making this issue worse.

My youngest just turned 7. I STILL have problems with my hips to this day. And, I didn't even carry him to term...he was 4 weeks early. Pelvic Girdle issues are nothing to make light of. It might just feel like "pain", but it is literally unstable hip joints.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #15
Malakaiii
Mouseketeer

I've rented a scooter from Apple Scooters so that's all taken care of! I think it was a great suggestion that I know I have a place to sit, plus I can choose to walk or stand when I need to move (my mom or someone else in my group will drive the scooter if I'm not)

Thankfully I've been having a lot of relief lately as my therapy seems to be working. The end of May is still a ways away, so who knows what I'll feel like then!

To anyone who suggested I cancel: I'm going to be in pain anywhere. My baby is not at risk. I am not in preterm labour. I'm sorry for the scares and dangers you've had with your pregnancies, but I'm not having those. Obviously I will stay home if myself or my baby is at risk. My midwife has cleared me for this trip and will continue to assess me as the time nears.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: