Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
Soon2beMrs.
Mouseketeer

Calling all gluten free people!

Hi everyone! I am newly gluten free, about 3 weeks and we are traveling on the fantasy in about 2 weeks
So can you guys tell me how is the gluten free food on board the fantasy? Is it good or will I be hungry and lose weight on this cruise?
Also I am traveling with several people who are not gf, does Disney try to make the same food both gf and not gf or will I get stuff totally different from them?
The form I filled out says gf can only be honored in the dining room but will i be able to get one thing to eat at any of the walk ups and thru room service?
Thanks!!
Soon2beMrs. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #2
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2beMrs. View Post
Hi everyone! I am newly gluten free, about 3 weeks and we are traveling on the fantasy in about 2 weeks
So can you guys tell me how is the gluten free food on board the fantasy? Is it good or will I be hungry and lose weight on this cruise?
Also I am traveling with several people who are not gf, does Disney try to make the same food both gf and not gf or will I get stuff totally different from them?
The form I filled out says gf can only be honored in the dining room but will i be able to get one thing to eat at any of the walk ups and thru room service?
Thanks!!
I'd love to know as well. My daughter's allergic to dairy and we've sailed dairy free (as well as vegan) but my son is two months gluten free and we're five days out from our first cruise with that.
I will tell you at Palo, the vegan stuff is entirely off menu. And DELICIOUS. Next time DH says he's just having whatever the chef makes for me, since its better than even the tenderloin and his other faves from the Palo menu.
Eating dairy free/vegan in the dining room was very much a order ahead, something generally off menu.
Anyone, please let us know about GF dining!?!
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
MaryJ
Believes in Tag Gremlins, not Tag Fairies
Has unstinky Crocs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
I'd love to know as well. My daughter's allergic to dairy and we've sailed dairy free (as well as vegan) but my son is two months gluten free and we're five days out from our first cruise with that.
I will tell you at Palo, the vegan stuff is entirely off menu. And DELICIOUS. Next time DH says he's just having whatever the chef makes for me, since its better than even the tenderloin and his other faves from the Palo menu.
Eating dairy free/vegan in the dining room was very much a order ahead, something generally off menu.
Anyone, please let us know about GF dining!?!
Not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but I will be sailing on the Fantasy in July and am dairy free. Did your daughter have much difficulty with that? We will be going to Remy for the brunch and I'm wondering about how that will work for me as well. When I contacted DCL, they pretty much just told me to let my server know the first night about my situation; nothing needed to be done before that. But when my sister sailed DCL in 2005, someone called her beforehand to talk with her about her dietary concerns. What was your experience?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #4
natmom
Mouseketeer

If you plan to eat gluten free, please note it on your reservation so they can be adequately stocked based on the number of passengers on board requiring gf foods.I'm not sure about your medical history, if you have celiac disease, or are just choosing to eat gluten free, but if it is the latter, you wouldn't want to be taking the food from celiacs who must eat gluten free. Have a fantastic vacation !
natmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
cgolf
DIS Veteran

Also when you go to the buffets ask for a chef to walk you around, they will point out what is safe to eat. Also they will prepare items special for you like the breakfast sausage if they are GF but worried about cross contamination. Also you can ask for GF doughnuts and muffins at the breakfast buffet.

Also at flo's the GF chicken fingers are incredible. The DW liked them better then the regular ones. The burgers are GF too, just ask for no bun or fries.

Also when you get on the ship the first day you should be able to order the first nights GF meal at the lunch in one of the mdr's. This will save you from delays the first night as they make it up.

pm me if you have any questions.

Cgolf
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJ View Post

Not trying to hijack your thread or anything, but I will be sailing on the Fantasy in July and am dairy free. Did your daughter have much difficulty with that? We will be going to Remy for the brunch and I'm wondering about how that will work for me as well. When I contacted DCL, they pretty much just told me to let my server know the first night about my situation; nothing needed to be done before that. But when my sister sailed DCL in 2005, someone called her beforehand to talk with her about her dietary concerns. What was your experience?
Not much. My trip report (half done) from Thanksgiving covers it.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

My DS is allergic to milk and soy. DCL is very accommodating as far as allergies and dietary concerns. I filled out the form ahead of time and sent an email outlining what substitutions that we make at home. He had gluten free rolls a few nights because they were dairy free (the regular ones weren't). He also had the gluten free waffles for the same reason. The chef made a gluten free chocolate cake for dinner one night. I was totally amazed that they were as proactive as they were. He ordered his dinner the night before.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Minnie328
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

My mom was GF for about three weeks when we boarded our Fantasy cruise a month ago!

Being a newbie to the GF lifestyle, she found it easy to eat GF on the ship.

Every night at dinner GF bread was brought out at the same time as regular bread. At lunch buffets, just ask what's GF and the chef will walk around the entire area and point out what is okay and what is not. There seemed to always be a GF dessert option at lunch. The MDR will make a special GF dessert, as well.

There are GF chicken tenders and there is GF pizza by request in the Radiator Springs area.

Palo brunch was good, as well. Didn't extensively go over what was okay and what was not, but GF pizza was able to be made.

Disney REALLY went out of their way--we were very impressed.

We weren't given the option to order the Cookie's BBQ meal in advance, but that is something I've heard is done and you might want to look into since the choices are more slim.

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE. YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST!
Old 04-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

I posted this gluten free review after our cruise in February.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ghlight=gluten

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
NEmel
Mouseketeer

My husband has celiacs and we just got off the Dream a week ago. We made sure DCL was aware of his gluten free needs before boarding. Right away our serves asked about it. They would have him choose his dinner the night before and sometimes they just modified it for him (no gravy etc.) They did bring out gf rolls which he really liked as long as they were warm. At breakfast they did have chocolate chip muffins which were wonderful!! Better than non gf! On Castaway Cay we did pre-order his meal. Our head server in the dining room was wonderful and met with us everynight!
NEmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #11
jcosta
Earning My Ears

We went on the Disney Alaska cruise las year with my gluten free daughter. They handled her food beautifully. We liked to eat at the buffet for breakfast and there wasn't much for her (she is picky). We would order her breakfast the night before. In the morning we would stop by the dining room where our waiter was working and he would have our daughters order made and brought to us at the buffet.
jcosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
J & C's Mom
Disney Veteran

My gluten-free son has sailed on two cruises since his diagnosis 4 years ago. Both the Dream and the Fantasy were fantastic. We made sure that he gluten-free diet was listed on the reservation and I stopped by the food service manager during the first afternoon (usually in the same room as Palo reservations). During dinner they were able to suggest items that are naturally gluten-free as well as gluten-free alternatives. His GF rolls were always waiting at the table for him at each meal and his food came out at the same time as everyone else at the table. Every though he was a child he could order from the adult choices if he wanted (he usually didn't since he was only 6 and 7 at the time). GF food can also be ordered a Flo's too. We usual order some breakfast items from room service since my son is usually hunger when he wakes up, room service could handle the gluten-free too. Finally, my two kids wanted to eat lunch one day at the kids club. All I had to do was order his food the night before and tell them it was for my son the next day at the club for lunch. The second time we tried this, there was a little miscommunication, but the kids club handled it.

Good luck with your new gluten-free way of life.
Disney Fantasy - 6/12, 12/13
J & C's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:17 AM   #13
Princess Duo
Earning My Ears

I went on the Fantasy last April after being diagnosed with celiac in late February. I was really nervous but it ended up being really great. I liked the gluten free donuts and pancakes they made me for breakfast in the buffet. I had to order my food the night before but it worked out really well. Flo's Cafe made me gluten free fries, chicken strips, and the gluten free cookies were really good. The only place I didn't really have much to eat was Castaway Cay. The servers were really great and they would ask about what I liked and then make me special meals based on what I liked. They brought me gluten free pasta some nights (I love pasta) and it was also great. I hope this helps!
Old 07-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #14
Futurist
REAL magic is when you can make people WANT to believe!

Managing GF food onboard

Hi,

I was diagnosed as a celiac in 1988, and have been on 5 Disney cruises (with two more booked). As other posters have said, you won't have any difficulties as long as they know that you need GF food.

Let me add a few thoughts not already covered:

1) Go to a main dining room when you first board, not Topsiders/Beach Blanket/ Cabanas. Tell any of the food servers that you need GF food, and that you want to talk to someone about that night's supper, so that you can pre-order it right away. BTW, sometimes a cast member will try to direct you to Cabanas (or equivalent); tell them you need to go to a MDR because you have food allergies.

2) When you go to supper the first night, make sure you seek out your head server right away. He/she is responsible for making sure your food is right. Discuss with him/her what your needs are, and ask them what you should do. You may not have daily contact with the head server (although the good ones will seek you out every day to ask how it's going), but they are responsible.

3) Your table servers are your front line of defense. They should probably know that your GI before they meet you, but you should have the discussion with them anyway. They will bend over backwards to make sure you get what you need.

4) Go ahead and eat at the buffets. DCL will tell you not to, but ask a server for a chef to walk you through the line. They will often ask what you want and make up a plate in the kitchen to avoid cross-contamination on the buffet line. HOWEVER, even then, stay alert and take responsibility for what you eat as even the best chefs can make mistakes. I was once told by a chef that I could have the gaspacho soup, which I love. I stopped and questioned that, because it's normally made with malt vinegar. He blinked, then said I was absolutely right, and no, I couldn't have it. They will do the best they can, and that's pretty good, but you still need to be responsible for what you eat.

5) I haven't had the chicken strips on deck, but have had french fries (when they are the only things cooked in the fryer), some of the sausages (when I could check the ingredients, which they typically have in a notebook in the kitchen if you ask), and pizza. Normally it will take about 20-30 minutes for them to cook a GF pizza for you on deck (or anywhere else) so plan ahead. It's not great pizza – it's a conventional frozen GF pizza, and tends to have a soggy crust, but hey, it's better than no pizza. And it will be the same stuff you'll get if you order it from room service.

6) Somewhat out of sequence, but it's important that you let them know you need GF food before the cruise because the number of people who do can determine how much they stock for your cruise. I've been on cruises where they run out of GF baked goods, probably because more people ask for it than notified them beforehand.

7) Which specific GF foods you get will depend on what port they are sailing out of, because they source locally. I've had some really good GF foods out of Barcelona (for a WBTA), and some really mediocre GF foods out of Canaveral. You have no control over this, so it's a bit hit or miss how good the GF stuff is.

8) We normally bring crackers and sometimes cookies. You're not supposed to bring food on board, but can do so as long as it's sealed (i.e. unopened) and packaged (i.e., not frozen or fresh) foods like crackers. We do this because we've found that while they have GF baked goods, they often don't have crackers (for cheese) or small cookies (which we like to have with afternoon tea. Personal preference, so it's up to you.

9) I don't know what to tell you about Castaway Cay. I've been there on 4/5 cruises, and have never had any luck with food there. Talk to your head server about it the day before you reach CC. Others have had better luck, so maybe ask them.

If I can provide any more information, PM me and I'll do what I can.

All told, speak up, smile, talk to the CMs serving you, take responsibility for your own food, and have fun. You'll probably eat more than you should (I always do). Have a great cruise!

All the best,
Richard
Disney Dream – Feb. 6-10, 2011
Disney Fantasy – Maiden Voyage, March 31-April 7, 2012; February 8th-15th, 2014
Disney Wonder, Jan. 28-Feb. 2, 2013
EBPC, Disney Wonder, Sept. 12th-26th, 2014 (36th anniversary celebration)
Futurist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #15
aaklang
Mouseketeer

We were on the Fantasy last fall. My son is not gluten free, but he is 100% dairy, egg and nut free.

I know that Flo's V8 Cafe and Cabanas had gluten free buns available for hot dogs and hamburgers. These buns are also dairy free. The regular buns are NOT dairy free, so a dairy allergic cruiser needs to get the gluten free buns. My son didn't think they tasted very good and preferred to eat his hot dogs or burgers bun-free. But, someone who is used to the taste of gluten free breads may like them much more than he did.

As others probably mentioned, the key is talking to your head waiter the very first night about your needs. At the end of dinner, he will bring you the dinner menu for the following night so you can choose what you want. Most things can be made with substitutes to suit your needs. Only once or twice were we told they could not make a change because the foods were pre-made off the ship and there was nothing to do. But they were always very helpful in choosing something that worked.

They can do special desserts, too. Every night, my son got a rich, chocolatey delicious dessert that was often better than the regular ones available.

While the cruise line will recommend that you eat all of your meals in the MDR and not Cabanas or the quick service places, don't feel limited. We NEVER ate breakfast or lunch in the MDR. We had breakfast at Cabanas every single day and were always able to find a full meal for my son. There is plenty of fresh fruit. A variety of eggs and omelets are available to those who can eat eggs. They have bacon, sausage, and sometimes other breakfast meats. For the dairy free ones, there are a variety of single-serving packaged cereals and you can ask for soy milk. They have it readily available (no need to go to the back kitchen or anything). They have both vanilla and chocolate Silk brand soy milk. At lunch, we were able to get dairy free ice cream, but I can't remember if it was soy or rice based.

Anyway, whether you are avoiding gluten, dairy, or anything else, Disney is great at accommodating you. The head chef in Cabanas will come out and answer questions and, while it may take an extra 5 - 10 minutes, you will always get a perfectly suitable meal prepared.

Finally, check out www.allergyfreemouse.com for some great info about allergies and dietary restrictions throughout all things Disney.
aaklang is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: