Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #301
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Thanks Mr Terry! Are you still using the sigma 70-200 mostly?
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #302
thesimson01
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Nice! The K-5 is amazing, isn't it? It's such a fantastic all-around package; I wouldn't trade it for any other DSLR at any price. It's near perfect IMHO; nobody else makes anything quite like it.

A month? My sympathies, I'm glad to hear that you're doing better. Imagine a month-long sickness overlapping a Disney trip - ugh! Hopefully you had a pretty free calendar during the sickness!

OK, I guess I'll add a few... I'm still (!) going through my photos from my January trip. Here's some just uploaded...

Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover at night by Groucho Dis, on Flickr

Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse at night by Groucho Dis, on Flickr

Shrunken Ned's Junior Jungle Boats at night by Groucho Dis, on Flickr

25,600 ISO? No big deal. (BTW, that's a Pentax shirt I'm wearing in the picture. Shameless, I know!)

Haunted Mansion, hitchhiking ghost by Groucho Dis, on Flickr
Great picture Grouco as usual!

I just change my camera 3 months ago, from a pentax K-100d to a K-01, i'm looking forward to using it in my next Disney trip.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using DISBoards
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #303
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPS3 View Post
Thanks Mr Terry! Are you still using the sigma 70-200 mostly?
When I'm at the short track, I will put the Sigma 28-70 f2.8 on the K5 and the 70-200 on the K10D. Most of the shots are done with the K5. I will use the same at the dragstrip except I bring the Sigma 100-300 f4. If I go high in the grandstand or on the roof, I want the extra length. On the drag strip I will sometimes switch. At the big track I use the 100-300 on the K5 for on-track images and the 28-70 for pit road. I sometimes will put the 70-200 on a second K10D. Carrying three DSLR's is a pain, but sometimes its just necessary! It really just depends what I'm shooting. When I shoot the trackside parties it will more than likely be the 28-70. When I shoot at the dirt oval (Team Demolition Derby and Traxxas Off-Road Trucks) its the 70-200 with a filter for protection from the flying mud. When shooting racing I only use JPEG. I need the higher burst speed. Around the house (and everything else) I will use RAW + JPEG.

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 04-20-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #304
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Here's a few from last weekend's Rockford Speedway Spring Classic. Some of the shots I was panning and others I wanted the sponsors name sharp and clear for marketing purposes. They are only batch processed with no cropping or anything else.

IMGP6284 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP6016 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP6361 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

IMGP6356 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 04-20-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #305
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Gianna Play v5 6661 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Taken during my granddaughters performance in her school play (Yes the Gianna in Gianna'sPapa). This kinda shows the DR of the K5 (Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens was used) because it was shot at 6400 ISO. Obviously, there was some noise reduction and a little sharpening done PP.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #306
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

VN Memorial Soldiers 7603 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Wash Mon Reflecting Moon 7582 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Old 05-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #307
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I just ordered through Amazon from KEH a used-like new K5 to serve as my second/backup camera. It will be here on Thursday. I decided to stick with the K5 rather than upgrade to the K5II(s). The K5 serves me well for what I shoot. I will just wait to see where Pentax is headed with its next camera. Besides for $580 it was hard to pass up. Now I will be re-purposing my current second/backup camera (K10D) and pass it down to my daughter.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #308
Daisy14'sDH
DIS Veteran

I'm considering the same as you, not that I've outgrown the K5 in anyway, but I've been focusing my gear selection around Full Frame lenses.... just in case...

Click here to see more from TkO Digital Imaging on Facebook

"Lightbulbs die my dear, I will depart!" As said by Mr. Magorium
Daisy14'sDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #309
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Mr. Terry, did you consider the K30 because of the recent price drops and rebates? I love the K-5II but I'm not too worried about FF and the hype. Back in December when I had the D600 I wasn't so impressed. The noise at 3200 was a little better but not miles ahead. The only reason to move to FF would be the narrow DOF. I just printed a photo I had taken from my Nex 7 at 10x15 on Fuji pearl paper and was blown away at the sharpness at that size. I think I could've gone 16x24 with no problem and thats with APSC. Anyway having shot both the K-5IIs and D600 in December, they are closer than you think.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #310
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy14'sDH View Post
I'm considering the same as you, not that I've outgrown the K5 in anyway, but I've been focusing my gear selection around Full Frame lenses.... just in case...
I'm going to just wait and see what happens. My three primary lenses for motorsports are all FF lenses. I like the idea that both my cameras will be the same. When shooting action, I would sometimes forget which camera I had in my hand and get frustrated with something until I realized what was happening. This way everything will be the same no matter which one I have in my hand.

Quote:
Mr. Terry, did you consider the K30 because of the recent price drops and rebates? I love the K-5II but I'm not too worried about FF and the hype. Back in December when I had the D600 I wasn't so impressed. The noise at 3200 was a little better but not miles ahead. The only reason to move to FF would be the narrow DOF. I just printed a photo I had taken from my Nex 7 at 10x15 on Fuji pearl paper and was blown away at the sharpness at that size. I think I could've gone 16x24 with no problem and thats with APSC. Anyway having shot both the K-5IIs and D600 in December, they are closer than you think.
If Pentax should bring out a FF, I don't know if I would switch. I have the lenses to be able to do it if I want. Right now I am very happy with the APS-C format. The reason I didn't consider the K30 was the lack of a battery grip. There are days that I am shooting almost non-stop from 9 am to 10 pm and do not have the time to recharge a battery. With the K5 battery grip it has an alkaline battery option should my lithium ion rechargeable batteries go dead. I just can't take the chance of a battery going dead at the wrong time. Tomorrow, I have a Greg Biffle, Kevin Harvick (maybe a few others) and a Goodyear tire test shoot and the last thing I need is a battery problem.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #311
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

I had back surgery a few weeks ago and really haven't felt like doing much. I'm finally starting to feel better and decided to go through some photos.

Wishes by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Old 05-09-2013, 12:49 AM   #312
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Working Mule by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #313
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had back surgery a few weeks ago and really haven't felt like doing much. I'm finally starting to feel better and decided to go through some photos.

Wishes by Harry Shields, on Flickr
Quote:
Nice shots Harry! I hope you are feeling better!!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #314
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Chicagoland Goodyear Tire Test

Just a few from yesterday's (Wednesday) Goodyear tire test. I would have more but my Flickr is acting up and won't let me upload any images!

EDIT: I switched to the old Flickr upload tool and was able to add a few more.

Goodyear McMurray 7920 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Goodyear Harvick 7859 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Goodyear Harvick 1639 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Goodyear Biffle 7852 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Goodyear Johnson 7875 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Goodyear Ky Busch 1641 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Goodyear Johnson 1643 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr

Last edited by Gianna'sPapa; 05-09-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #315
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Mr. Terry, those are awesome shots. You must be really close to the action. I don't know why Flickr always changes their uploader.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: