Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
asmith1113
Mouseketeer

Pre and Post Nights

I took your last advice and proceeded with asking for a pre and post night. I think it's a little high though at $650 for the pre night and $580 for the post night including transportation to the airport. I know it's not a low-cost trip, but with both hotels showing rates for regular rooms at $200-$300 Euro, I thought I would get back $400 US maybe. Does this seem on target for what you would expect the pre/post nights to be? Or have you requested this for your trip and is this about what you are paying?
asmith1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
agignac
Earning My Ears

going in july 2013

Hi my husband, myself , 5 year old daughter and 13 year old son plan to do france trip late july. interested to hear any tips from anyone. we have traveled to europe and france before. I speak french. We did disney magic cruise a couple of years ago. a little concerned about early starts with late nights but so be it. are there not a lot of little kids , ever???
agignac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #18
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

On our Esprit de France ABD my son (7) was the youngest by far. I think there was a boy around 11 and a number of teens of all ages. It was our first ABD, so I have nothing to compare with, but we all had a blast. I was thinking there would be more younger kids, but it ended up being no big deal for our son. My guess is that families with kids of that age group typically are going to Italy or London/Paris. Normandy/Loire is probably not on everyone's radar at that time. But then again, Kevin from Dreams Unlimited, checked for me about the number of kids on our upcoming Vietnam and there were a number of younger kids his age. I was surprised.

To answer your related question from another thread, the day and a half in Paris are largely on your own. We had our finale dinner in the Louvre, with a mini tour right before, and in the morning they took those who wanted to go up the Eiffel Tower. The rest of the time was on your own. The heart of this ABD is definitely in Normandy and Loire. And it was wonderful. We spent a few days in Paris before the ABD. Overall one of my favorite trips I've taken.

Destination D WDW CR/BWI Nov 2014
ABD DIS Backstage Magic Dec 2014
Norwegian Fjords on the Magic Jun 2015
ABD Australia Jul 2015
Cousin Orville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #19
asmith1113
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
We spent a few days in Paris before the ABD. Overall one of my favorite trips I've taken.
Hello. I noticed your last sentence and would like to ask how you went from Paris to the hotel at Versailles. If you took a train, was it was easy with luggage? We had a little hiccup in our flight schedule and it now looks like we'll be arriving two days in advance, not just one and I don't think we want to spend that much time at Versailles. Will probably stay at the Marriott near the Arc de Triomphe. I've read the options but would love to hear first hand what real folks do. Thanks!
asmith1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #20
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

We took a taxi from downtown Paris to the hotel in Versailles. It took about 20-30 min. Can't remember how much. Maybe 50 Euros. We spent the morning at the Rodin museum, walked a bit and had lunch on the Champs Élysées. We prob left Paris around 2 or 3pm. Got to the hotel and took a nap before the welcome dinner.

ABD Australia Jul 2015
Old 03-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
suzrobi
Earning My Ears

If booking a pre-trip day, be sure to stroll through the maze of gardens at Versaille just a walk down the street from the Palace. Your guides will point out two not to be missed (there are many). One is laden with rose trellises and a statue emerging from a pond in the center and the other is horses against beautiful rock formations. In June, there were fireworks set to Classical music that could be seen and heard from our hotel - a fabulous prelude to the trip! Enjoy - it is fabulous :-)
suzrobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #22
MNDISFAN13
Earning My Ears

July 27, 2013 trip

We are taking the July 27 trip. This will be our second ABD. We did Viva Italia last year and had a wonderful time. Is anyone else on the board taking this specific trip?
MNDISFAN13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #23
SteveInCA
DL Fan

We just signed on for the 8/3-8/10 trip, after circumstances prevented us from doing the Greece trip in early July we'd originally booked. In addition to my wife, we'll be bringing our two boys, aged 13 and 16.

This will be our fourth ABD trip -- we did Italy in 2008, China in 2010, and Ecuador/Galapagos in 2011.

We're doing London on our own beforehand. The boys were really interested in the England/France trip, but that one was fully booked when we had to reschedule the Greece trip, so we decided to make it happen ourselves.

We're doing two post-trip nights in Paris, though we're debating whether to stay at the Hotel Napoleon for those nights, because it is *expensive*. The location looks fabulous, though, and after a week of luxury, having the last two nights be a typical (and oh so small) Paris hotel room might be a bit of a bummer. We'll see.
SteveInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInCA View Post
We just signed on for the 8/3-8/10 trip, after circumstances prevented us from doing the Greece trip in early July we'd originally booked. In addition to my wife, we'll be bringing our two boys, aged 13 and 16.

This will be our fourth ABD trip -- we did Italy in 2008, China in 2010, and Ecuador/Galapagos in 2011.

We're doing London on our own beforehand. The boys were really interested in the England/France trip, but that one was fully booked when we had to reschedule the Greece trip, so we decided to make it happen ourselves.

We're doing two post-trip nights in Paris, though we're debating whether to stay at the Hotel Napoleon for those nights, because it is *expensive*. The location looks fabulous, though, and after a week of luxury, having the last two nights be a typical (and oh so small) Paris hotel room might be a bit of a bummer. We'll see.
Sorry you weren't able to do Greece, but it looks like you've come up with a great alternative.

The location for the Hotel Napoleon looks amazing! It's about 60% closer to the Arc de Triomphe and the shops of the Champs-Elysees than the hotel we stayed in for Knights & Lights. (That hotel is really nice, but I don't know if the price is any better. It's now called the Hotel du Collectionneur Arc de Triomphe.)

Be sure & come back & tell us all about the Esprit de France trip!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #25
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:

If you and your family like history, consider a visit to the Winston Churchill war rooms. Really fascinating, interactive and quick.
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #26
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmith1113 View Post

Hello. I noticed your last sentence and would like to ask how you went from Paris to the hotel at Versailles. If you took a train, was it was easy with luggage? We had a little hiccup in our flight schedule and it now looks like we'll be arriving two days in advance, not just one and I don't think we want to spend that much time at Versailles. Will probably stay at the Marriott near the Arc de Triomphe. I've read the options but would love to hear first hand what real folks do. Thanks!
Its an easy trip between downtown Paris and versailles
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #27
SteveInCA
DL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5 View Post
If you and your family like history, consider a visit to the Winston Churchill war rooms. Really fascinating, interactive and quick.
The Imperial War Museum is in the midst of a massive remodel, and is closed until the day before we get to London. They'll be open in a very limited fashion while we're there, and I'm trying to figure out what's open. I am a WWII history buff, and I'm colossally bummed that my target museum in London isn't totally open. Sigh...

On the France side (this thread is about France, after all ), how much time does the tour spend on Omaha Beach? I see that there is lunch and time on your own in a nearby town afterwards. I'm thinking of asking the guides if I can hang out at Omaha rather than doing lunch and such, and getting a ride into town a bit later. If we get a good chunk of time there anyway, I won't worry, though.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Quote:
The Imperial War Museum is in the midst of a massive remodel, and is closed until the day before we get to London. They'll be open in a very limited fashion while we're there, and I'm trying to figure out what's open. I am a WWII history buff, and I'm colossally bummed that my target museum in London isn't totally open. Sigh...

On the France side (this thread is about France, after all ), how much time does the tour spend on Omaha Beach? I see that there is lunch and time on your own in a nearby town afterwards. I'm thinking of asking the guides if I can hang out at Omaha rather than doing lunch and such, and getting a ride into town a bit later. If we get a good chunk of time there anyway, I won't worry, though.
The town town is a drive away and you're only in town for an hour for lunch. I don't think anyone felt rushed on the beach. They gave you time to walk and reflect.

ABD Australia Jul 2015
Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #29
SteveInCA
DL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
The town town is a drive away and you're only in town for an hour for lunch. I don't think anyone felt rushed on the beach. They gave you time to walk and reflect.
Thanks! That's good to hear.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #30
Cousin Orville
Inventor of Air Cooling

Wow, they really altered the Esprit de France for 2014. Now they are skipping the Loire Valley. That's really too bad as it was my favorite part of our 2012 ABD.

ABD Australia Jul 2015

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: