Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 02:15 PM   #31
RoutemanDan
DIS Veteran
 
RoutemanDan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bushwood
Posts: 4,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-dreams View Post
Awwwww.... makes me kinda sad as we always loved to grab a scoop or a sundae and watch the foutains from the seating area!

Won't seem the same sippin' a Frappuccino
Well it couldn't have been "always" because it used to be Fountaiview Espresso and Bakery before it was an Edy's ice cream place.

Why wasn't anyone bothered by it being Edy's ice cream and not Disneys own brand?
RoutemanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #32
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Actually you very wrong, the last announcement a few months ago, Disney made a big point of saying that Starbucks would be selling the coffee and a few of their items.

However the Main St bakery items would still be the major pastries!


It seems when they announced Starbucks, Disney was beaten up by the folks who love the Main Street bakery! They changed their plans to only include Starbucks coffee and Main street pastries.


I don't know what will happen with Ice Cream!


AKK

i think you are overestimating disney's desire to give a crap about negative feedback...especially one random fast food joint amongst hundreds of them on the property...

i think there plan was to take the coffee operation out of their hands and partner up with somebody they could trust...this will spread to the resorts quickly (first at the deludes) and then quickly follow suit in the other locations and restaurants...

i don't think they "changed their plans" to accomodate anything. there was silly internet buzz here and all the other sites about "eliminating the bakery"...but disney never made any comments to that effect as far as i could tell. they just simply said that starbucks would be moving in as it has in Disneyland...no discussion of sub par cupcakes, muffins, and those fair to bad cinnamon buns was out there from the horses mouth - at least as i remember it.

perhaps i am mistaken...wouldn't be the first but i'll try to make it the last
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #33
Prock
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
We sorted this out six months ago when this was a "big deal"

Starbucks is supplying the labor...that's
The point

And they get a cut of profits, sell their bakery stuff and less overhead...

All smiles from "the company"
Considering my friend is working in the bakery when it reopens and he wasn't hired by starbucks, Im pretty sure Disney is still in charge of the labor
Prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #34
nu2dvc
Mouseketeer
 
nu2dvc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prock View Post
Considering my friend is working in the bakery when it reopens and he wasn't hired by starbucks, Im pretty sure Disney is still in charge of the labor
did your friend say when exactly it is slated to re-open???
nu2dvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 AM   #35
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prock View Post
Considering my friend is working in the bakery when it reopens and he wasn't hired by starbucks, Im pretty sure Disney is still in charge of the labor
i'm gonna suspend my standard policy of "never trust an employee" on this one...

if what you say is the fact and disney is restaffing the location with their own employees...well that's just stupid (not that its not what they are doing)...reducing manpower is and will continue to be one of the highest ranked goals in orlando...they don't want to pay who they have - let alone more and future development depends on it.

But even if they do have their own people going in...that doesn't mean starbucks isn't staffing the spot as well. very few storefronts are not mixed use at this point. its entirely possible that there is some giftshop type element in play that will require some disney staff...or maybe not. don't know.

we'll see. in the end...the only result of this is gonna probably be better (if more expensive) coffee. Remember that Disney's target audience moving forward is the Gen X, Gen Y and soon to be Gen Z crowd...and they want their fraps and starbucks type establishments. Consider that...Disney has.

Those that want "good, cheap coffee" are going the way of the Dodo...
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #36
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,483

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
overated...perhaps.

Also in that category are the Disney baked goods, a significant number of Disney employees, Disney's menu choices, the locations we're "losing", and the variety that Disney has offered for years.

So what are we really debating? Nothing may be gained...but nothing is really being lost either. At a minimum it's a push.

The nescrafe coffee being currently served is so bad it isn't even "rated"
~Touché. It's funny because I came across a story about this quaint, elegant Parisian village that staunchly opposes the idea of Starbucks in their community. This little Parisian neighborhood is simply unwilling to embrace that bright green mermaid sign in what is otherwise considered to be such a beautiful & romantic place.

~Anyway, it's kind of funny because this reaction sort of echoes the same sentiment expressed about Disney's Main Street Bakery, lol. I guess that's part of the backlash when a company over saturates the market. It's just an observation, as I'm indifferent -- just wanted to share. As expected, their cries were all for naught, just like at Disney -- Starbucks wins!!!

~VIDEO - Starbucks Upsets Locals With Plans To Open In Historic Area Of Paris~



Quote:
Starbucks is set to open an outlet in a historic site in Paris as part of its expansion plans in Europe, but the location of its newest store has upset some local residents. Famous for its cobbled streets, Bohemian atmosphere and artistic residents, locals have lobbied hard to stop Starbucks opening on the Place du Tertre in Montmartre. The store is due to open next month, bringing a very American kind of coffee, to a very Parisian neighborhood. The local sentiment is clear, "no to capitalism". In Paris, it is not just the locals who are lamenting Starbucks' arrival. American blogger Mary Kay Bosshart says the U.S. coffee chain does not fit with the romantic image that visitors have of the area. "Starbucks in Paris, in the other places in Paris, I'm fine with that. But Place du Tertre has a special meaning for me. I first came here when I was probably 18 and it was the soul and heart of Paris. So to think of having a Starbucks here, it's a shame. I wish that everybody could come here and have the same vision that I did of Paris," said Bosshart. This is not the first time a Starbucks location has sparked controversy. In 2007, a store in Beijing's historic Forbidden City was forced to close down following public protest that the U.S. chain was at odds with the traditional culture of the former imperial residential compound. However, despite the strong opposition in Paris, Starbucks' plan to open there is moving ahead.
__________________


Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 04-21-2013 at 01:34 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:27 AM   #37
Postal68
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 715

what's next at Disney Parks?
Dollar Trees or Cash For Gold stores

Ridiculous
Postal68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #38
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw FL
Posts: 1,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal68 View Post
what's next at Disney Parks?
Dollar Trees or Cash For Gold stores

Ridiculous
They would have to be ten dollar trees.

People have been complaining for years about the quality of coffee available at wdw. What are the choices? Start their (Disneys)own coffee plantation, hire their own roasters and create their own brand of coffee? And hope it is good? If they chose some other name of artisan coffee would everyone be complaining? It's not like this is the first brand they have incorporated into the parks--- Where were all the complaints when they brought in Mc donalds? Luckily they are gone, or we could be getting a mcfrappe.

Last edited by beer dave; 04-21-2013 at 10:24 AM.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #39
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
i think you are overestimating disney's desire to give a crap about negative feedback...especially one random fast food joint amongst hundreds of them on the property...

i think there plan was to take the coffee operation out of their hands and partner up with somebody they could trust...this will spread to the resorts quickly (first at the deludes) and then quickly follow suit in the other locations and restaurants...

i don't think they "changed their plans" to accomodate anything. there was silly internet buzz here and all the other sites about "eliminating the bakery"...but disney never made any comments to that effect as far as i could tell. they just simply said that starbucks would be moving in as it has in Disneyland...no discussion of sub par cupcakes, muffins, and those fair to bad cinnamon buns was out there from the horses mouth - at least as i remember it.

perhaps i am mistaken...wouldn't be the first but i'll try to make it the last
You may indeed be right..........what ever the cause.........the Main Street Bakery has a loyal following who love the pastries!. I hope they keep them!


AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #40
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran
 
CuteAsMinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Actually you very wrong, the last announcement a few months ago, Disney made a big point of saying that Starbucks would be selling the coffee and a few of their items.

However the Main St bakery items would still be the major pastries!


It seems when they announced Starbucks, Disney was beaten up by the folks who love the Main Street bakery! They changed their plans to only include Starbucks coffee and Main street pastries.


I don't know what will happen with Ice Cream!


AKK

You can tell me that after it actually opens.....
__________________
CBR - 1989 (first trip)
CBR - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 1998, 2001, 2005, 2007
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #41
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran
 
Tonka's Skipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Connecticut in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 4,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
You can tell me that after it actually opens.....
OK........I will!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #42
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 99

I love the irony of how people yell and scream about how one large corporation's product being sold in Disney World (gasp! ANOTHER major corporation!) as if Starbucks is selling porn or something that would degrade the quality of the environment... How about the fact that you can't walk 3 feet in ANY Disney property without seeing a CocaCola sign? Is that okay but Starbucks isn't? Really? Buncha curmudgeons!
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #43
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Touché. It's funny because I came across a story about this quaint, elegant Parisian village that staunchly opposes the idea of Starbucks in their community. This little Parisian neighborhood is simply unwilling to embrace that bright green mermaid sign in what is otherwise considered to be such a beautiful & romantic place.

~Anyway, it's kind of funny because this reaction sort of echoes the same sentiment expressed about Disney's Main Street Bakery, lol. I guess that's part of the backlash when a company over saturates the market. It's just an observation, as I'm indifferent -- just wanted to share. As expected, their cries were all for naught, just like at Disney -- Starbucks wins!!!

~VIDEO - Starbucks Upsets Locals With Plans To Open In Historic Area Of Paris~

Just for fun, because I am also indifferent to it all. But I went to Starbucks by the Opera House in Paris a few weeks ago. It was a huge location, and overflowing. It was an exciting place. The Starbucks do well in Paris. Actually all the coffee shops do well. I tried to sample them all.

Montmartre is an eclectic neighborhood, I can see the residents trying to keep Starbucks out.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #44
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas
 
babydoll65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,293

I really have no problem with Starbucks being there. Believe me, there is no where you can get a decent ice coffee anywhere on property.I got one once at starring rolls,it was horrible. I just wish they didnt have to remove any of the other establishments.I mean they were already building the new fantasy land why didn't they just put it there instead of changing the main street bakery?
__________________

77,79,88 OS-89,92 FW-96 ASMo-05,07,09,11 POP-13 POFQ/POR-2015 POP

Dad-Mom-Son
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #45
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: sw FL
Posts: 1,057

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll65 View Post
I really have no problem with Starbucks being there. Believe me, there is no where you can get a decent ice coffee anywhere on property.I got one once at starring rolls,it was horrible. I just wish they didnt have to remove any of the other establishments.I mean they were already building the new fantasy land why didn't they just put it there instead of changing the main street bakery?
location, location,...... everyone walks down main st... coming and going.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: