Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #91
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Here are our other ride photos!

We made it onto Space 3 times on Friday. It broke down on us during our second ride when we were just around the corner from the exit. Since we were stuck for 20 minutes or so, so we got a "front-of-the-line" pass for anything in DL except Matterhorn. I actually posted a thread here asking for advice but ultimately decided to just use it on Space again since DD6 didn't care for dark rides and we already rode Dumbo. Since the pass was good for 6 people, I offered to take a family of 3 who were just turned away from the FP return line in with us. The wife was really skeptical but I explained how we got the pass, the CM confirmed she could come with us and just use their FP later, and so they followed us on. I think it was their first time riding it and they look like they enjoyed it based on this photo! It was fun to spread some Disney magic and get them on earlier than they otherwise would have based on their FP return time.

We also did Splash Mountain and DD6 preferred sitting in the back position side-by-side with me.

smiles33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #92
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Character meal reviews are next. We did breakfast with Minnie and Friends at Plaza Inn, lunch with the princesses at Ariel's Grotto, and breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen. That's a lot to take in 2.5 days!

We did lunch at Ariel's Grotto on our first family trip in 2011, but since the girls were dressed up after BBB and my FIL called to let us know he'd like to treat us to a special treat, we decided to do it again.

Of the 3, DH and I both agreed that Goofy's breakfast was the best food and had probably the best value given the qualify of the food, price, and character interaction.

Minnie's food was worse than cafeteria food, IMHO, though character interaction was good. Ariel's food was average (better than we remembered) but way overpriced for what you get and the limited number of characters (4 princesses plus Ariel by the staircase when you first enter).

We met Chip, Dale, Minnie, Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Fairy Godmother, and Captain Hook.

At Ariel's, we met Ariel, Belle, Aurora, Jasmine (hooray!), and Snow White.

At Goofy's, we met Aurora, Chip, Dale, Baloo, Pluto, Princess Mulan, and Rafiki.

Here are some photos:

Last edited by smiles33; 04-17-2013 at 12:15 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #93
smiles33
DIS Veteran

DH wrote his TR and beat me to it!

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com...x-wheel-harder
Old 04-17-2013, 07:47 PM   #94
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Glad to hear your reviews of the character breakfasts. We are definitely hitting Ariel's for DD and I was deciding between Goofy's and Minnie's but DS's desire to see Captain Hook might tip the scales despite the mediocre at best food. ::: sigh :::

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #95
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Hi Pesky! Thanks for visiting. Yeah, I would not do Minnie's again because the food was terrible. But it may be the only place to see Captain Hook (unless he comes out during Halloweentime as part of the Villains M&G?). Have a great trip!!!! I miss DLR already.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 PM   #96
smiles33
DIS Veteran

I have to say, I'm SO GLAD we lucked out and were at DLR the week of the Long Lost Friends promotion, where they had groups of characters in the area behind the Big Thunder Ranch BBQ.

I absolutely LOVE Mulan and was thrilled to meet her as "Ping" (aka Warrior Mulan). We also had some funny photos with Lilo & Stitch, the 3 Little Pigs and Big Bad Wolf, Scrooge and Ludwig, and Fauna, Merryweather & the third fairy from Sleeping Beauty (sorry, can't remember her name). Lines were super long for Jane from Tarzan and Peter Pan, and we missed Esmeralda from Hunchback and the characters from Robin Hood.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #97
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
Hi Pesky! Thanks for visiting. Yeah, I would not do Minnie's again because the food was terrible. But it may be the only place to see Captain Hook (unless he comes out during Halloweentime as part of the Villains M&G?). Have a great trip!!!! I miss DLR already.

I just wanted to pop in and say hello when I saw your post in the Character Meals thread! I've seen your TR around the TR section for a long time and the title never ceases to make me smile! For some reason, something about "Wide Load Ahead" makes me giggle every time I see it. I love it! I've been meaning to stop in and get subscribed for what seems like a year or two but haven't had a chance!

I'm so glad that Goofy's was a hit for you. I think I was telling fellow DIS'er lsulindy this in her TR - whenever I read really over-the-top negative reviews of Goofy's Kitchen I feel like I'm not even reading about the same place that I have been eating at for so many years. Then I start to think that I must either have really horrible taste in character meals, or that the restaurant has really 'off' days when other people are there. I've been there on some not-as-great days over the years, of course, but over all, for the general variety of food and characters, I think Goofy's is a great place to go! If I didn't have mostly good experiences at Goofy's, there's no way I would continue to go back there on almost every trip. It's too expensive to return to if it is not a worthwhile restaurant. I would spend the money elsewhere. But...it works for me, and my friends seem to like it, so we go back!

I have heard the same comments that you mentioned about the food at Minnie & Friends in the past, so it always surprises me when someone comes forth and says that they thought the M&F food was great! I have heard "inedible," "cold," etc. I've also heard that it can get kind of chaotic and frenzied at M&F because a lot of folks supposedly won't wait for the characters to get to the table and they start running around the restaurant to meet them!

Captain Hook does occasionally appear at Goofy's - maybe even more than occasionally but we just don't hear about it. The last time I saw him there was in December 2011, but I'm sure he has been at Goofy's again since that time. I've also heard of Hook sightings at dinner time too.

I guess the real problem is that we never know which characters are going to be at which restaurants on which days or at which times. It's a gamble. I wish there were some way to get a kind of schedule of who is expected to arrive - that would help a lot - but I think that many times certain characters just unexpectedly wander in and the restaurants don't know that they're coming!

I've also seen Captain Hook walking around in Disneyland in December (it looked like he was coming from Fantasyland and heading towards Main Street, probably to a photo spot or something). I'm sure he will be part of that Villains thing that is happening on September 13th (part of the Limited Time Magic).

ETA: I love the pictures with the Long Lost Friends! So cute - and the photos are so clear and colorful!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #98
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Hi SherryE! Thanks for visiting. I bought the PhotoPass+ and it was such a FANTASTIC deal. Thanks to the pass and the good fortune to be there during Long Lost Friends Week, we got our money's worth!

We definitely hope to go back to Goofy's next visit! It was the best meal.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #99
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

ah, so jealous of you getting to see Ping! I love Mulan -- one of my favorite princesses so kind of hoping to sneak in Goofy's as a dinner kick-off to our visit to DLR in hopes she shows. But not as Ping, which is ubercool.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #100
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
ah, so jealous of you getting to see Ping! I love Mulan -- one of my favorite princesses so kind of hoping to sneak in Goofy's as a dinner kick-off to our visit to DLR in hopes she shows. But not as Ping, which is ubercool.
We saw Mulan at Goofy's, too! I was thrilled, especially since Ping was really friendly and nice to my DD6, too. I much prefer Ping.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #101
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Today, OUT OF THE BLUE, DH randomly said to me, "I was thinking of closing the office in June since students are in finals anyway. What do you think of DD7 missing 2 days of school to do a Disneyland trip then?"

What do I think? pixie dust:

I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

So a few initial thoughts to put down here while I'm still processing this whole thing.

1) I need to find out if there are any weeknight Grad Nite celebrations. We're looking at driving down Saturday morning, June 7 and staying until Tuesday, June 10. That helps us avoid the Friday night stuff, but some schools may be graduating around then.

2) We have never gone in the summer before. Will we be prepared for the crowds? The heat?

3) This will be our first trip WITH NO WHEELS! DDs will be 5 and 8 and way too old for a stroller. DH *should* be ok walking by then, especially since he just had a cortisone shot in his hip last week to help with pain that flared up again almost 5 months after his last surgery. Past readers know that he had a second hip surgery last summer (right after our second DLR trip!).

4) I was not as thrilled with HoJo the second time around. Yes, it's nice to have the space of 2 rooms, but it's tiring walking back, the bathroom and carpet didn't seem as sparkling clean, and you do seem to "lose" the magic when you're dodging homeless people on the bench at the bus stop. I am looking into staying on-site this time around!!

5) By the time of the trip, DDs will be 5 and 8. I'm not sure how my younger one will be when it comes to roller coasters, but I know my eldest loves Space and Splash just as much as me. We also had a grand time on RSR and were fortunate to use Child Swap last time to ride it 7 times in 2.5 days!

6) Either way, I think we'll try to catch all the live entertainment this time: parades, shows, WOC, and Fantasmic!

7) I think I also want to try the Storyteller Cafe character breakfast, even though DDs probably won't recognize most of them. Maybe I'll also do Surf's Up. We enjoyed Goofy's last time, so maybe we'll go again.

8) I'm assuming we will want to go right to the park on Saturday, but we arrive too late to take advantage of MM or EMH. Mid-day/afternoons are still so busy and I know we get so much done in the mornings. So part of me thinks we should just have a Character dinner outside the park and use the 1/2 day of park admission instead on Tuesday to take advantage of EMH.

Last edited by smiles33; 01-23-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #102
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Just found out there is a Grad Night party on Sat 6/7. Since we won't arrive until close to 3 pm, I think we will definitely skip going into the park the first day since students will be swarming both parks by late afternoon.

Instead, I think we will explore Downtown Disney (the kids had a great time at the Lego store last trip) and have a character dinner. Maybe Goofy's since we plan to stay at DLH? That way we can get up early Sunday and take advantage of EMH at DCA. Plus, we can use our MM at DL on Tuesday, our last 1/2 day, and leave after lunch when it gets busy there anyway.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #103
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Hi! Fun to see you are planning another DLR trip! I think DTD is a good idea for Grad Night. I'm sure most of the kids will be in the parks. DH's cousin, 20 had her Grad party at ESPN, but it was a "lock in" type party, so I don't think there would be that many kids running around everywhere, but some of the venues might be closed for Grad parties.
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #104
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Thanks for visiting again! I always smile when I see your signature photo. I'm thinking, if we get the DLH, that we'll spend some time in the pool and have dinner in DTD (assuming we can get into our room before 4 pm). Or maybe we'll do DTD shopping/browsing and then dinner at Goofy's Kitchen again. I can't decide!

Whoa, I just checked and HoJo's Kids' Suite for the same dates are $244/night?!?!? I still remember when I got that awesome deal that jory29 shared with us where we only paid $99/night for the HoJo Kids' Suite on our first trip in 2011!

Last edited by smiles33; 01-19-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 PM   #105
smiles33
DIS Veteran

Poking around on the Character Dining thread has me thinking we will try Surf's Up at PPH for breakfast since it has such great character interaction. They offer breakfast 7-11 so I think we'll eat a cold breakfast in our room and then do a brunch around 10 am so we can get a lot done first.

As I mentioned above, we've been to Ariel's Grotto (AG) twice (only went the second time because ILs called unexpectedly that day to treat us to it), Goofy's Kitchen (GK) and Minnie's breakfast at the Plaza Inn. AG had limited character interaction and ho-hum food. GK was much better, with great characters and better food. Minnie's had great characters but terrible cafeteria food. Fingers crossed that Surf's Up will match our great Goofy's experience.

I may even add a dinner at GK again, as I do love character meals and we're definitely staying at DLH now! Last time we did 3 character meals and it was a wonderful way to enhance our park experience (even if 2 of the 3 didn't knock our socks off). I'm debating whether it's worth trying Storyteller, since my girls won't recognize most (if any?) of the characters.

Last edited by smiles33; 01-20-2014 at 11:38 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: