Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #1921
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran
 
aVASTGrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 545

I have a question about the Standard Views, maybe you all can help. Last time I stayed at AKL, we had a Savannah View, so I didn't really pay attention to the placement of the Standard rooms. Looking at the resort maps, it seems that rooms along the Giraffe Trail would potentially have a view of, and/or be blocked by the bus stops or other hotel awnings...is this true? Should I request rooms on the Ostrich trail instead?
__________________

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad



aVASTGrl is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #1922
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran
 
Lemonademouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post

Pictures?? :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I'm getting some, but I do not know how to upload from my phone and we left our computer at home, since port Orleans wifi was so spotty last year. And wouldn't you know, the wifi here has been fantastic.
Lemonademouth is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #1923
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran
 
DizDaD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern ,New Jersey
Posts: 2,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVASTGrl View Post
I have a question about the Standard Views, maybe you all can help. Last time I stayed at AKL, we had a Savannah View, so I didn't really pay attention to the placement of the Standard rooms. Looking at the resort maps, it seems that rooms along the Giraffe Trail would potentially have a view of, and/or be blocked by the bus stops or other hotel awnings...is this true? Should I request rooms on the Ostrich trail instead?
Not sure but I believe those on the giraffe trail are mostly values...At least mine was in rm. 5012..& that was a pool view.. I think all that are facing the front are values though..
__________________

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #1924
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Not sure but I believe those on the giraffe trail are mostly values...At least mine was in rm. 5012..& that was a pool view.. I think all that are facing the front are values though..
The "Value" villas are only on the 5th floor. Regular resort rooms are on the floors below.

The even-number rooms on Giraffe Trail are pool view. The odd-number rooms are standard.

aVASTGrl, I believe you are staying in a regular resort room? Then I'd request Ostrich Trail if you want to be close to lobby area. If you don't mind a hike to your room, requesting Kudu Trail could put you out on the savannah - just in one of the rooms that was re-classified since it wasn't a desirable "savannah" view!
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #1925
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran
 
DizDaD7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern ,New Jersey
Posts: 2,001

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
The "Value" villas are only on the 5th floor. Regular resort rooms are on the floors below.

The even-number rooms on Giraffe Trail are pool view. The odd-number rooms are standard.

aVASTGrl, I believe you are staying in a regular resort room? Then I'd request Ostrich Trail if you want to be close to lobby area. If you don't mind a hike to your room, requesting Kudu Trail could put you out on the savannah - just in one of the rooms that was re-classified since it wasn't a desirable "savannah" view!
Now I know that all 5th floor are DVC, but I didn't know that the front facing rooms are standards...& the one that I was in ( until b4) was actually a value...

Seems to me that I got a better bang for my dis points....smaller room I know but for a DVC studio I'm guessing it's not that much less. maybe 50 sq. ft. & even with that honestly How much time is being spent in the room anyhow...
__________________

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
DizDaD7 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #1926
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Now I know that all 5th floor are DVC, but I didn't know that the front facing rooms are standards...& the one that I was in ( until b4) was actually a value...

Seems to me that I got a better bang for my dis points....smaller room I know but for a DVC studio I'm guessing it's not that much less. maybe 50 sq. ft. & even with that honestly How much time is being spent in the room anyhow...
I might have mislead you. I don't know about the front-facing rooms on the 5th floor. Those are probably also "values" as Value Villas can have savannah, pool, or parking lot views. Front-facing rooms on the lower floors would be "standard" view for AKL-the resort!

"Standard" view when you're talking DVC is (in my opinion) better than regular resort standard view! I've had lots of Value & Standard DVC stays at AKV and have always gotten Pool & Savannah views!

It does get confusing at Jambo House DVC or non-DVC!!
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #1927
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran
 
aVASTGrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

It does get confusing at Jambo House DVC or non-DVC!!
I know, I'm sorry, I should have specified, we're staying at the Lodge, non-DVC!!

Thank you all for the tips, I think I'll probably request Ostrich Trail. It's a short trip, so we wanted the cheapest option, but still don't want our view blocked by buses or walls!
__________________

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad



aVASTGrl is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1928
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,940

So am I right in thinking the pool view rooms are zebra trail and giraffe trail? Lodge non DVC. Anybody know where the pool view bunk bed rooms are located? Or are they both zebra and giraffe? Any extra requests you'd make?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1929
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
So am I right in thinking the pool view rooms are zebra trail and giraffe trail? Lodge non DVC. Anybody know where the pool view bunk bed rooms are located? Or are they both zebra and giraffe? Any extra requests you'd make?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Pool view rooms are Giraffe and Zebra. We had a bunk bed pool view several years back - 3422 (3rd floor on Zebra Trail). It was the last room in the first pod of rooms -- great location and nice pool view!

The bunk beds are scattered throughout.
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1930
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post

Pool view rooms are Giraffe and Zebra. We had a bunk bed pool view several years back - 3422 (3rd floor on Zebra Trail). It was the last room in the first pod of rooms -- great location and nice pool view!

The bunk beds are scattered throughout.
Would you request Zebra over Giraffe?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #1931
Koh1977
DIS Veteran
 
Koh1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,940

I'm sure this has been asked, but can non DVC use the pool and children's water areas at Kidani?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Koh1977 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #1932
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase
 
dolphingirl47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 27,571

Yes, as long as the pool is not at capacity, people staying at Jambo House irrespective of how they paid for their stay can use the pool at Kidani.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #1933
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran
 
Grumpy Grandma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: SACRAMENTO CA
Posts: 3,304

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
The "Value" villas are only on the 5th floor. Regular resort rooms are on the floors below.

The even-number rooms on Giraffe Trail are pool view. The odd-number rooms are standard.

aVASTGrl, I believe you are staying in a regular resort room? Then I'd request Ostrich Trail if you want to be close to lobby area. If you don't mind a hike to your room, requesting Kudu Trail could put you out on the savannah - just in one of the rooms that was re-classified since it wasn't a desirable "savannah" view!
Thank you so much for this answer. I'll be there in Oct/Nov and I really want a pool view room so now I know exactly what to request!!! At least I think I have if figured out. My stay is Jambo studio standard view so by requesting Giraffe Trail even numbered room I'd probably get a pool view or were you just talking about non DVC rooms???
__________________
Grumpy Grandma is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #1934
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas
 
RachelTori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Georgia & SSR
Posts: 13,351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post
Would you request Zebra over Giraffe?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Many more rooms on Zebra so, yes, that is what I'd request! The only downside is you could end up quite a hike from the lobby, but you could also add "close to lobby" as your 2nd request.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Thank you so much for this answer. I'll be there in Oct/Nov and I really want a pool view room so now I know exactly what to request!!! At least I think I have if figured out. My stay is Jambo studio standard view so by requesting Giraffe Trail even numbered room I'd probably get a pool view or were you just talking about non DVC rooms???
The DVC rooms on Giraffe Trail are all "Value" villas so if you have a standard studio booked you don't want to request Giraffe. (sorry for the confusion of DVC vs non-DVC!)

We've stayed in 5004 (1-bedroom), 5006 (studio), 5016 (studio), and 5030 (1-bedroom) - all are Values.

Checking my list, the only DVC "standard view studio" we have stayed in at Jambo was #5406. It was a lobby room (directly at one end of the suspension bridge!) with a nice pool view. Loved the location!

I wish I had more information for you on "standard view studios" and where they're located. I think I need to do more research!

I'm sure someone else who frequents this board can provide more information for us!
__________________
LOR-uh



RachelTori is offline  
Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1935
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS
 
kellyg403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,339

I am going to finally add our name to the list of anxiously awaiting guests of the AKL! This will be the third time and second time doing Club level. It was wonderful!

We are going Dec 1 - 8, dp and ph tickets. We are taking the next set of grandbabies who turned 5, Kyan and Kayla.

I need to fix my ticker too!

Kelly
__________________
kellyg403 is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: