Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #1921
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

I have a question about the Standard Views, maybe you all can help. Last time I stayed at AKL, we had a Savannah View, so I didn't really pay attention to the placement of the Standard rooms. Looking at the resort maps, it seems that rooms along the Giraffe Trail would potentially have a view of, and/or be blocked by the bus stops or other hotel awnings...is this true? Should I request rooms on the Ostrich trail instead?

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

Old 04-21-2013, 06:39 AM   #1922
Lemonademouth
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koh1977 View Post

Pictures?? :-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I'm getting some, but I do not know how to upload from my phone and we left our computer at home, since port Orleans wifi was so spotty last year. And wouldn't you know, the wifi here has been fantastic.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 06:50 AM   #1923
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVASTGrl View Post
I have a question about the Standard Views, maybe you all can help. Last time I stayed at AKL, we had a Savannah View, so I didn't really pay attention to the placement of the Standard rooms. Looking at the resort maps, it seems that rooms along the Giraffe Trail would potentially have a view of, and/or be blocked by the bus stops or other hotel awnings...is this true? Should I request rooms on the Ostrich trail instead?
Not sure but I believe those on the giraffe trail are mostly values...At least mine was in rm. 5012..& that was a pool view.. I think all that are facing the front are values though..

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #1924
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Not sure but I believe those on the giraffe trail are mostly values...At least mine was in rm. 5012..& that was a pool view.. I think all that are facing the front are values though..
The "Value" villas are only on the 5th floor. Regular resort rooms are on the floors below.

The even-number rooms on Giraffe Trail are pool view. The odd-number rooms are standard.

aVASTGrl, I believe you are staying in a regular resort room? Then I'd request Ostrich Trail if you want to be close to lobby area. If you don't mind a hike to your room, requesting Kudu Trail could put you out on the savannah - just in one of the rooms that was re-classified since it wasn't a desirable "savannah" view!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #1925
DizDaD7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelTori View Post
The "Value" villas are only on the 5th floor. Regular resort rooms are on the floors below.

The even-number rooms on Giraffe Trail are pool view. The odd-number rooms are standard.

aVASTGrl, I believe you are staying in a regular resort room? Then I'd request Ostrich Trail if you want to be close to lobby area. If you don't mind a hike to your room, requesting Kudu Trail could put you out on the savannah - just in one of the rooms that was re-classified since it wasn't a desirable "savannah" view!
Now I know that all 5th floor are DVC, but I didn't know that the front facing rooms are standards...& the one that I was in ( until b4) was actually a value...

Seems to me that I got a better bang for my dis points....smaller room I know but for a DVC studio I'm guessing it's not that much less. maybe 50 sq. ft. & even with that honestly How much time is being spent in the room anyhow...

1997- Buenavista Hotel/Spa--HoneyMoon--WDW 25thB-day
2000- Allstar Music---Milennium Year!!
2003- Allstar Movies
2006- Off Site/ House
2007- PoP Century
2008- PoP Century
2010- Coronado Springs--->Oct.29-Nov7.
2011- Port Orleans Riverside-->Nov3-Nov11
2012- Boardwalk Villas--->Aug. 21-Sep.1
2013- AKV JH--->Apr5-Apr13..2014- Grand Cal.Villas--->Feb.15-22
2014- AKV--->Nov.1-9
Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #1926
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizDaD7 View Post
Now I know that all 5th floor are DVC, but I didn't know that the front facing rooms are standards...& the one that I was in ( until b4) was actually a value...

Seems to me that I got a better bang for my dis points....smaller room I know but for a DVC studio I'm guessing it's not that much less. maybe 50 sq. ft. & even with that honestly How much time is being spent in the room anyhow...
I might have mislead you. I don't know about the front-facing rooms on the 5th floor. Those are probably also "values" as Value Villas can have savannah, pool, or parking lot views. Front-facing rooms on the lower floors would be "standard" view for AKL-the resort!

"Standard" view when you're talking DVC is (in my opinion) better than regular resort standard view! I've had lots of Value & Standard DVC stays at AKV and have always gotten Pool & Savannah views!

It does get confusing at Jambo House DVC or non-DVC!!

Old 04-21-2013, 08:35 AM   #1927
aVASTGrl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

It does get confusing at Jambo House DVC or non-DVC!!
I know, I'm sorry, I should have specified, we're staying at the Lodge, non-DVC!!

Thank you all for the tips, I think I'll probably request Ostrich Trail. It's a short trip, so we wanted the cheapest option, but still don't want our view blocked by buses or walls!

[*]~Spring 2014 - WL"Flowers And Gardens And Bees" Solo Trip[*]~Summer 2013 - AKL "Family Reunion Recovery" Trip[*]~Halloween 2012 - YC Solo Extravaganza!![*]~Christmas 2011 - POFQ "Is That What Snow Looks Like?" Celebration[*]~Summer 2010 - Off-site[*]~Summer 2009 - CSR "Stop That Bus" Fun[*]~Summer 2008 - Off-site "Never Eating Salmon Again" Disaster[*]~Graduation 2007 - AKL "My Ankle Just Separated!!" Special Sister Vacay[*]~Late Summer 1998 - POFQ "Runaway Cart" Episode[*]~Early Summer 1998 - Disneyland Paris nee Eurodisney "Whinnie Le Pooh" Ooh La La[*]~March 1998 - Off-site Singing Competition "The Band Kids Stole Our Bus!!" Trip[*]~1985 - My One And Only Disneyland Trip That I Don't Remember[*]~1983-1996 - Every Other Summer WDW Pilgrimage aka the beginnings of my Disney Obsession Thank You Mom & Dad

Old 04-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #1928
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

So am I right in thinking the pool view rooms are zebra trail and giraffe trail? Lodge non DVC. Anybody know where the pool view bunk bed rooms are located? Or are they both zebra and giraffe? Any extra requests you'd make?

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 04-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1929
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
So am I right in thinking the pool view rooms are zebra trail and giraffe trail? Lodge non DVC. Anybody know where the pool view bunk bed rooms are located? Or are they both zebra and giraffe? Any extra requests you'd make?

Pool view rooms are Giraffe and Zebra. We had a bunk bed pool view several years back - 3422 (3rd floor on Zebra Trail). It was the last room in the first pod of rooms -- great location and nice pool view!

The bunk beds are scattered throughout.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1930
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Pool view rooms are Giraffe and Zebra. We had a bunk bed pool view several years back - 3422 (3rd floor on Zebra Trail). It was the last room in the first pod of rooms -- great location and nice pool view!

The bunk beds are scattered throughout.
Would you request Zebra over Giraffe?

Pre 2001 too many to count / December 2001 offsite / April 2004 offsite / August 2008 offsite / August 2009 offsite / August 2010 Poly / September 2012 BC / August 2013 Poly / July 2014 WL CL or Poly CL/WL or...
Old 04-21-2013, 12:04 PM   #1931
Koh1977
DIS Veteran

I'm sure this has been asked, but can non DVC use the pool and children's water areas at Kidani?

Old 04-21-2013, 12:06 PM   #1932
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Yes, as long as the pool is not at capacity, people staying at Jambo House irrespective of how they paid for their stay can use the pool at Kidani.

Corinna
Old 04-21-2013, 12:31 PM   #1933
Grumpy Grandma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank you so much for this answer. I'll be there in Oct/Nov and I really want a pool view room so now I know exactly what to request!!! At least I think I have if figured out. My stay is Jambo studio standard view so by requesting Giraffe Trail even numbered room I'd probably get a pool view or were you just talking about non DVC rooms???
Old 04-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #1934
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people

Quote:
Would you request Zebra over Giraffe?

Many more rooms on Zebra so, yes, that is what I'd request! The only downside is you could end up quite a hike from the lobby, but you could also add "close to lobby" as your 2nd request.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Grandma View Post
Thank you so much for this answer. I'll be there in Oct/Nov and I really want a pool view room so now I know exactly what to request!!! At least I think I have if figured out. My stay is Jambo studio standard view so by requesting Giraffe Trail even numbered room I'd probably get a pool view or were you just talking about non DVC rooms???
The DVC rooms on Giraffe Trail are all "Value" villas so if you have a standard studio booked you don't want to request Giraffe. (sorry for the confusion of DVC vs non-DVC!)

We've stayed in 5004 (1-bedroom), 5006 (studio), 5016 (studio), and 5030 (1-bedroom) - all are Values.

Checking my list, the only DVC "standard view studio" we have stayed in at Jambo was #5406. It was a lobby room (directly at one end of the suspension bridge!) with a nice pool view. Loved the location!

I wish I had more information for you on "standard view studios" and where they're located. I think I need to do more research!

I'm sure someone else who frequents this board can provide more information for us!

Old 04-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #1935
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

I am going to finally add our name to the list of anxiously awaiting guests of the AKL! This will be the third time and second time doing Club level. It was wonderful!

We are going Dec 1 - 8, dp and ph tickets. We are taking the next set of grandbabies who turned 5, Kyan and Kayla.

I need to fix my ticker too!

Kelly

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: