Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #1
Mum to Belle
Thinks she may know someone who has a planner

Disney Christmas Dreams - Day 2 Added**

I would like to apologise for not posting my TR while it was still Christmas, I mean it is actually sunny today! Life got a bit complicated after our trip so it has taken me longer than usual, but I've started now and with another trip in the planning, I will finish!

Day 1 – Wednesday 21st November 2012
I was so excited that I just couldn’t sleep, so the early start wasn’t a problem. We set off about 4.45 for the airport. At the end of the road DH asks if I’ve got the passports and the tickets. Helpful. Why can’t he ask these questions before we leave? Anyway, I did have them, so it was fine. I didn’t have the car park instructions, but how hard could that be? I remembered reading that the barrier would recognise the car and print a ticket, seems easy enough!

About a mile down the road DD asks if I remembered to pack Harry the Hedgehog? (See how I am single-handedly responsible for everyone’s packing?!)

Harry the Hedgehog is DD’s class character who got his holiday form approved to come to DLP with us. Harry comes with a diary to complete with all his adventures, and right now Harry was sitting in the playroom in the little house DD had made for him. While I processed this information, I was struck by inspiration! Determined not to turn around, but equally determined not to have any tears before breakfast I proceeded to act out the scene from Home Alone when the mother realises that Kevin is not there. DD had been watching this (and many other festive films) so I hoped it would help distract her from the fact that I had left him behind! I am pleased to report that it did, but when I suggested that Harry could protect the house from burglars, DD pointed out that he was only a stuffed toy and not a little boy.... Good point, well made.

The rest of the journey was uneventful until we arrived at the airport and I couldn’t remember where we had to park the car, there then followed several loud and not entirely useful suggestions from DH, a couple of U turns and a bit of huffing and puffing, but eventually we arrived at the correct car park and the barrier did indeed recognise the car – clever eh?!

We parked near the bus stop and moments later the shuttle appeared to whisk us off to the airport. In just a few minutes we were checked in and through security giving us over an hour to kill before our flight. While we were waiting, DH became very animated when he saw a very tall man walking our way. Turns out it was David James (former England and Liverpool goalkeeper) and this in my husband’s world is the equivalent to Donald Duck, I resisted the urge to hand him the autograph book, but did take his photo. Mr James was incredibly charming and polite especially when you think it was about 6am by now.
This excitement helped to pass the time and soon we were on the bus to the plane with another family who were clearly also going to the happy place! DD made friends with the little girl and her Grandmother, and they were chatting away about their favourite rides, etc, etc.

Our bags were waiting for us in Orly and so was the lovely John from Ezyshuttle and off we set for HNY. The bags were out of the car and whisked off to the luggage store while I went to check in. DD came running over to tell me that Max was there – OMG!!!!! She was after her autograph book which I soon realised was inside her bag, which was inside her Trunki, which was in the luggage store. Those porters are just too efficient! Sadly I have no photographic evidence of Maxie, but she was really happy to have seen him.

Now DD & I had eaten and were desperate to get to the park, DH hadn’t and felt the calling of McDonalds. It was raining so we had a very brief conversation and agreed to split up. He suggested meeting at the Carousel, I suggested the Christmas Tree as it was closer and gave us more time. He agreed.

DD & I were making our happy, skippy was to Salon Mickey when I remembered that I needed to book her Princess Makeover in DLH so we made a “quick” detour. It took slightly longer than planned because look who was in the lobby...

We then knocked on the special door and I was all ready with my park tickets and shareholders card, only for the CM to point out that my card had expired – I had only managed to bring the old one!!!! Fortunately the computer said “yes” and we sat down to enjoy our pastries and hot chocolate before dashing outside to meet DH at the tree.

Phew, he wasn’t there yet, probably queuing in McDonalds. After standing by the tree for 5 minutes I decided that we would still be able to see DH if we went and joined the queue to meet Duffy Bear so that’s what we did!

Then when DH still wasn’t there I decided that we would still be able to see him from the queue to meet Santa Goofy, so we did that too.

Then as it was bloomin’ cold, I decided that we would definitely be able to see him from inside the shops, so we did that next. I should point out that I called and texted DH but got no reply. They were announcing the Cavalcade so we stayed to watch that next – very nice too. I was getting a bit worried by now though so when it had finished we followed it down Main Street and headed through the Castle.

DD decided that it was time for a ride and rides there would be! We were walking into Fantasyland when DD says, “Look Mummy, there’s Daddy”. Yes, of course, he was waiting by the carousel...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. There may have been some cross words from us both and some very non-Disney threats about putting him on the next plane home but then DD took us both by the hand and said “Come on, let’s go on a ride and cheer you two up!”

We went on Peter Pan and by the time we came off I think DH had decided that there was no point in continuing to say that we had agreed to meet at the carousel because clearly I was right! So we went to Pirates next – love it!

Now DH hadn’t had his McDonalds because of the queue so we were all getting a bit peckish so we went to Hakuna Matata because I wanted to try the spicy chicken strips and they did not disappoint! The Bongo guys were playing in there which was a nice touch. After a bit DH said he wasn’t feeling well and remembered that he hadn’t taken his medication that morning so he wanted to go back & get if from the luggage so we decided to see if our room was ready too. It was! And look what was waiting for DD on her bed

She was so excited! We had a lovely room, would you like to see the view?

The luggage arrived and DH started “unpacking” or rummaging to be more accurate. The rummaging became more and more frantic as it became apparent that DH had not actually packed all of his medication and had managed to leave his epilepsy tablets at home. While he had a panic attack, I tried to remain calm and come up with a solution. DD sat happily watching Disney on the TV while I went to have a chat to the Concierge – they are always helpful. They advised that we could either (a) see a doctor or (b) get his prescription faxed through to the hotel and take it to a pharmacy. I called our surgery who don’t have the ability to send a fax internationally, so that was Option b out! DH then had an idea, we called my Dad who went to our house and found the tablets. We then called DH’s work and asked them if they could courier the meds over. My Dad then took the tablets to DH’s work and they called the courier. There was a question about what to put on the customs label – can you send meds in the post abroad??? Got to be worth a try!

Panic over and tablets on their way, I was able to persuade DH not to spend the rest of the day on bed but to get out & have fun. So we wandered through Disney Village to Studios which was really quiet. Now DH wasn’t feeling up to rides but he was happy wandering and took lots of photos while DD & I went on Slinky and Cars twice.

DH is particularly proud of this next photo...

While we were wandering we met Jessie and Pluto!

When we started feeling cold & tired we headed back to Disney Village for our dinner reservation at Cafe Mickey.

It would have been rude to pass World of Disney and not have a look around so we had fun exploring but it was ever so warm in there with our layers on so we didn’t stay too long.

We tried to get into Cafe Mickey early but the CM on reception was having none of it and sent us away, oh well, more shops then. We kept having the same problem though, freezing outside, baking inside. Eventually we went back to CM and stared at the CM till she let us and another family in! (While we were waiting another family left saying they had been sat down for 20 minutes and seen no one. Clearly they had no staff till 6pm so why were they open???

We were seated right by where the characters come out which meant that DD was first to meet them all – this was a result as we’d been up since 4am and DH wasn’t feeling 100%!

We met Minnie, Mickey, Chip, Dale, Pluto, Goof and, Tigger!

DH ordered the chicken ceasar salad, I had the veggie lasagne and DD opted for pizza. The food was decidedly average but the service was fine. I certainly -wouldn’t order the veggie lasagne again! DD & I shared the chocolate fruit fondue for dessert which was nice.

We had managed to eat and meet all the characters in one hour – got to be some kind of record?! Then we headed back to our hotel for bed and found chocolate coins on our pillows – ahhhhhh.

And that was Day 1 - hopefully the next 4 days won't take me 5 months to write now that I have started!!

Last edited by Mum to Belle; 05-08-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Mum to Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
markpsych
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing

Christmas trip report not a problem. Nice because we were there as well, and it took me straight back

Lovely view from your room!

That food though
markpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-20-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
kizzabel
Eating poisonous apples since '86

Hey Jenny
Fab pics! Isabelle is getting so grown up! And I love your DH's photographic skills, Mike Wazowski looks like a rogue from that angle!
Doesnt travel always frey nerves. Its always me that makes mistakes in my house. We nearly missed a trip over my need for make up in terminal one - Id left most of mine at home by mistake and then took all the passports/boarding cards through security having left DH and DS on the other side of security... Oooops. The moral of the story is I am a dipso!

Looking forward to reading more and seeing more fab pics.
Kiz
x

Previous Trips:
2010: Santa Fe - March ** Newport - May 2011: Cheyenne - March ** Sequoia Lodge - November 2012: Hotel New York - May - Honeymoon ** Dream Castle - October 2013: Hotel New York - January ** Santa Fe - October 2014: Disneyland Hotel - May

Upcoming Trips:
2014: Disneyland Hotel - November 2015 Kyriad/Cheyenne - March
kizzabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
nycdisneygal
Mouseketeer

so glad you posted!! Better late than never!
Old 04-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Disneyfanswicklow
Disney Fanatic!

Aw delighted you have started your trio report....loving reading it and your photos are lovely! What a panic about the meds....scary! Looking forward to more!

Jo Olivia
Disneyfanswicklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Mum to Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpsych View Post
Thanks for sharing

Christmas trip report not a problem. Nice because we were there as well, and it took me straight back

Lovely view from your room!

That food though
I hope you had as much fun as we did - Christmas is such a magical season!

We did have a great view....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizzabel View Post
Hey Jenny
Fab pics! Isabelle is getting so grown up! And I love your DH's photographic skills, Mike Wazowski looks like a rogue from that angle!
Doesnt travel always frey nerves. Its always me that makes mistakes in my house. We nearly missed a trip over my need for make up in terminal one - Id left most of mine at home by mistake and then took all the passports/boarding cards through security having left DH and DS on the other side of security... Oooops. The moral of the story is I am a dipso!

Looking forward to reading more and seeing more fab pics.
Kiz
x
Thanks - she is growing up, I know...

Rogue - that's exactly the right word!!

Will get on it again tonight x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdisneygal View Post
so glad you posted!! Better late than never!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyfanswicklow View Post
Aw delighted you have started your trio report....loving reading it and your photos are lovely! What a panic about the meds....scary! Looking forward to more!
Thank you! There will be more soon I promise...
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 AM   #7
zinderella
Surely they make special allowances for mad Mummys

Great trippie so far...and love the pic of Mike checkin' you out!

It makes me want to book a christmas trip (and funnily enough the girls were singing carols at breakfast this morning!!! Don't ask, they are just a bit bonkers)

Trip Report 2010-Day 1 Day 2 Day 3

2007 Halloween- Santa Fe, 2009 May 1/2 Term- Newport Bay, 2010 Halloween- Sequoia Lodge, 2010 Christmas - Newport Bay (the trip we Won!) 2012 June 1/2 Term - Sequoia Lodge, 2013 May 1/2 term - Newport Bay
zinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Mum to Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinderella View Post
Great trippie so far...and love the pic of Mike checkin' you out!

It makes me want to book a christmas trip (and funnily enough the girls were singing carols at breakfast this morning!!! Don't ask, they are just a bit bonkers)
Isabelle was watching Muppets Christmas Carol this morning so I know what you mean! Gotta love 'em!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
Mum to Belle

Day 2 – Thursday 22nd November 2012

Today was Pirate Day! After yesterday’s excitement it took two phone calls from our favourite mouse to wake Isabelle!

You wouldn’t believe it but I managed to lose DH & DD going to breakfast! They went ahead of me for some reason and when I got out of the lift they weren’t anywhere to be seen. I wandered around to the restaurants and couldn’t see them. I looked in the shop and couldn’t see them. All the breakfast staff were French and so I attempted to ask them in my best French if they had seen my 6 year old daughter who was dressed as a pirate – needless to say I got very confused faces in return as it is 22 years since my GCSE ‘s!

When they did eventually show up, the CMs were like, “ahhhhhhh, pee-rat!” Turns out DH had gone to check at the desk to see if any parcels had arrived – they hadn’t. We had breakfast in the Parkside Diner this morning and before long were heading to the park for our first full day!

We made it in time for some EMH and as it was quiet managed 3 goes on Peter Pan in a row, then a flight with Dumbo, before taking off with Star Tours at least twice and a quick go on Buzz Ride for good measure. DD was getting a lot of comments about her pirate dress!

Rope drop was fast approaching so we got ready to get crushed in the dash for BTM. I think DD was a little disappointed when they chose a little boy to open the land, but she soon got over it.

Rather than heading straight to BTM we had a ride on POTC – well it is our pirate day after all! We managed to stay dry – result. From here we went to Santa’s Grotto but the queue was already pretty long and DD said she wasn’t fussed about seeing Santa so we made our way to BTM which is DD’s new favourite ride – hoorah!!! (I do like IASW but there are only so many times you can ride it in a row)

Then when we came out we made our way towards a certain meet & greet area, hoping to see some special characters for the first time. And there he was, Jack Skellington!!!

We joined the queue just as he was going on a break. This was good for us as a few of the others in the queue left when he did. I spent the next 10 minutes trying to keep DD away from puddles, normally I wouldn’t mind, but do you have any idea how long it took to make the dress?!!! Lol! The lady in the queue behind us asked if Sally would be out as she had already met Jack by himself, she decided it was worth the wait just in case, and very kindly offered DD one of her sweets.

Then right on cue, DH spots Jack walking our way – here he comes!!!! DD was getting very excited and bouncing up & down (dangerously close to the puddles!) and then, just before our turn, guess what.....???? YES!!!!! Sally appears!!! (Apparently she had to do her make-up) At this point I thought DD was going to burst! She got a little star struck when she met them both but they were just wonderful – they spent about 4 minutes talking to her and admiring her dress and then posing for photos before a special hug from Sally.

She came away totally overwhelmed – and told us all about their conversation, before bouncing like Tigger and squealing Jack & Sally! Moments like these are magical and, when the characters live up to your child’s expectation, what more could you ask for?

We had a little time before our reservation at the Blue Lagoon so we wandered through Adventureland and had a little photo shoot, well, why not?! I hope you don’t mind me sharing...

One more quick ride on POTC before lunch – oh go on then!

We were seated right by the water with a great view of the passing boats – some even called out Bon Apetit in reply to our calls of Bon Voyage. As usual, the food here did not disappoint.

DH had steak, DD had pasta and I had the chicken columbo (must try something new next time). The waitress came over while DD was colouring in her pirate Mickey colouring sheet and commented that she was a proper little pirate!

DH didn’t want dessert so he went back to the hotel to see if his tablets had arrived while DD polished off her ice cream and I made short work of the cafe gourmand! Those desserts are perfect for indecisive (greedy) types like myself who can never choose just one dessert.

Happily stuffed, DD & I strolled back through Village where there was a clown making the most enormous bubbles. Naturally we had to stop so that she could pop several before continuing on our way. When we finally made it back to our hotel, we bumped into Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale in the lobby. Yay! Love the unexpected characters!!! Mickey held hands with DD on our walk to the lift, ahhhh.

You will no doubt be pleased to know that DH’s tablets had now arrived!!  Normal (or close enough) service will now be resumed. After a little rest and several phonecalls of thanks, we headed back out to the park.

It was pretty quiet in the park today and we decided to have a visit to some of the things we have not done before. So, first up was Nautilus – never been in here before. DD liked the giant squid.

Then we went for a drive in Autopia – another first! This was quite good fun and DD loved driving the car, although her steering was a bit hit & miss.

Now the park wasn’t busy but there were the usual queues and when we got to IASW we noticed that there were three gates open at the top but only 2 lanes with a queue in. We joined the third line and virtually walked onto a boat – result! Love the Christmas version of the music – especially Jingle Shells, DD loves the mermaid and thought this was brilliant.

Next up was a chance to Meet Mickey. There was a queue for this but it meant that we got to see the band & watch some cartoons which made the time pass much more quickly.

He was admiring her dress and asked her to do a twirl – so cute!

We were wandering round to catch the parade when finally we saw him - Jack Sparrow!!!!! What Pirate Day would be complete without a Captain Jack photo?! There was a group of girls in front of us but when they finished, DD had Jack all to herself. They were talking about whether she was a real pirate and if she knew where the treasure was? To which she replied, “Yes! It’s in the Blue Lagoon restaurant over there!” He taught her a special pirate dance before telling her a secret.

Now, tell DD that something is a secret and she immediately tells everyone! I am not kidding when I say that to this day I still do not know what he said to her! Quick photo and it’s off to try and catch the end of the parade...

We literally do just that, 4 people back! We can see the tops of the floats and Peter Pan blows my little pirate a kiss.

Time for a breather so we head to Casey’s for DH to grab a hot dog & fries and then over to Market House deli for a croque monsieur pour moi & DD.

We stake out a great spot for the Tree lighting, on the corner by the lamp post and there are only a couple of minutes to go when DD announces that she needs the toilet! I manage to squeeze through the crowds to the toilets in the arcade and get back again just in time, phew.

Just love this – the tree, the music, the lights, the snow! Magical!

Full of Christmassy cheerfulness we wander down Main Street to choose a spot for Dreams. DD spots the “shed” and we decide that’s a good place to watch from. We were to the left of the back of the shed and had a great view of the castle. Until people decided to go and sit up on top of the grass bank (behind the railings) – all of the people on our vicinity starting booing them and telling them to move – in various languages! Eventually some security personnel moved the bank sitters away and our view was restored – yay!

First up was the Castle lighting which itself is beautiful and the music was lovely. Different from last year which had the Aurora show on the hub, but still lovely.
And then, after numerous announcements of “It’s nearly time for.......”, it was actually time for......Dreams - and it was just like we dreamed it! I was holding DD up for most of it which was a little distracting, but it was still absolutely breath taking and I’m pretty sure I had my jaw open the entire time! There may have been a tear welling up, but my overwhelming reaction was just awe. Wow. My favourite bit is still the bit with Genie, the neon lights and the rockets – inspired!

Having waved goodbye to Peter Pan’s shadow, we joined the rest of the crowds heading out of the park and back to our hotel – where there were more chocolate coins awaiting us!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Ms Poppins
I'm sure I'm very affected by all this Disney talk

I've not been about for a bit and just trying to catch up on the trippies.

Love your days so far. Your comments re being in charge of remembering everything for everyone is just like my house too - why is it my job to remember DH's hair wax

Isabelle looks absolutely beautiful in her pirates dress. Did you make that?

Looking forward to more
Ms Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #11
Mum to Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Poppins View Post
Love your days so far. Your comments re being in charge of remembering everything for everyone is just like my house too - why is it my job to remember DH's hair wax

Isabelle looks absolutely beautiful in her pirates dress. Did you make that?
Glad it's not just me!!

Yes, it was a combined effort with my MIL as I don't own a sewing machine! (Minor detail!) I did the pattern bits and pinned it and gathered bits & pieces and she sewed it all up and made it look fab!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Christieand
Mouseketeer

Really enjoying your TR!
Sequoia Lodge, April 2013 (TR here: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099510)

Christieand is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: