Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #1
babygirlamg
DIS Veteran

POP hotel and food allergies

any offerings in the Pop Century food court for kids meals dairy and peanut free???
babygirlamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

While I don't have food allergies, I know one of the sous chefs at POP personally...
and have talked to a couple of other chefs there about all sorts of food topics...
They are AWESOME!! I have every confidence they will work with you to have options for your child to eat!
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Pop was amazing when we went back in December. At the time I was allergic to wheat, peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, shellfish, oats, coconut, sesame, soy, all raw fruit (except grapes), all raw vegetables.

The chefs were amazing and I could get basically whatever I wanted. The best was being able to get waffles every morning!!
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
disfan07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Yes, when you want go up to order just tell them you have an allergy order, they will get the chef and they will give you a pager and make food for you.
DS is allergic to wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanut, treenut, shellfish, sesame and buckwheat- POP was an excellent place to eat for him!
Give a little extra time... if they aren't busy you have to think you will wait in line (2 mins), wait for the chef (5 mins), wait for them to cook (10 mins?), then pick up and pay (5 min). So planning ~22 mins probably about minimum if they aren't busy and you order something that cooks quickly. If they are busy it will take longer, then there were times the chef was right there and they were making another similar order already, and we were ready by the time the rest of us picked out food.
Once you do it, it isn't a big deal. Always mention the allergy order first thing so the chef gets paged though. If your timing is off and you wait until everybody else is ready to go to page them you may all be done eating before you get the special order.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
primrosea
Mouseketeer

The Pop Food Court was amazing for our gluten free family. We have been twice in two years and have really enjoyed the variety and interaction with the chef's. The found a way to make our children feel special even though they could not have a lot of the desserts and other things that other kids could have. In fact, we never felt like we missed anything. We were given stirfrys, french fries, huge sandwiches, chicken with rice, pasta...all kinds of things were never able to eat out before. And the amount of Allergy Free Mickey Waffles we ate may have boardered on disgusting...yummmmm Mickey Waffles.....
Pop~October 2012

AoALM~October-November 2012
Port Orleans Riverside~October 2013
POFQ~December 2014

http://livingontheprimrosepath.blogspot.com/ LETS TALK GLUTEN FREE DISNEY
primrosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosea View Post
The Pop Food Court was amazing for our gluten free family. We have been twice in two years and have really enjoyed the variety and interaction with the chef's. The found a way to make our children feel special even though they could not have a lot of the desserts and other things that other kids could have. In fact, we never felt like we missed anything. We were given stirfrys, french fries, huge sandwiches, chicken with rice, pasta...all kinds of things were never able to eat out before. And the amount of Allergy Free Mickey Waffles we ate may have boardered on disgusting...yummmmm Mickey Waffles.....
We were there for 6 nights and I ate like 5 orders of allergy chicken tenders and like 10 POP waffles. I also got 8 Mickey waffles the day we left. I ate three for breakfast and took te rest for the plane (early flight). They were still excellent cold!!
All Star Sports (2007, 2008); All Star Music (2001); Caribbean Beach (1992, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999); Coronado Springs (2004); Port Orleans French Quarter (2007); Port Orleans Riverside (2014); Wilderness Lodge (2006); Pop Century (2010, 2012); Saratoga Springs (2013); The Contemporary (2013); Grand Floridian (2014)
Old 03-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
babygirlamg
DIS Veteran

Are the allergy free chicken tenders and waffles peanut and milk free???
babygirlamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #8
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirlamg View Post
Are the allergy free chicken tenders and waffles peanut and milk free???
yup.

The allergy waffles will also be gluten free and egg free.

but just a warning....when we were there in december, they ran out of chicken tenders our second day there. I wanted them for a late afternoon snack and they were out. I dont know how often it happens, but it did happen with us.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disfan07 View Post
We were there for 6 nights and I ate like 5 orders of allergy chicken tenders and like 10 POP waffles. I also got 8 Mickey waffles the day we left. I ate three for breakfast and took te rest for the plane (early flight). They were still excellent cold!!

I want to second the waffles being great cold! We took an extra order of waffles with us every day just so we always had a snack on hand for DS. We are so used to not being able to get him food anywhere it was nice to have something around just in case.
I know the waffles are wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanut, treenut, shellfish, sesame and buckwheat free. I *think* they are using a mix of namaste and Bob's red mill (not positive) so I think they can go to one or the other because Bob's has some facility/equipment cross contaminated warnings on some products. (we don't worry about those, so I am just repeating what I've read)

I like vacations.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #10
disfan07
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistysue View Post
I want to second the waffles being great cold! We took an extra order of waffles with us every day just so we always had a snack on hand for DS. We are so used to not being able to get him food anywhere it was nice to have something around just in case.
I know the waffles are wheat, soy, egg, dairy, peanut, treenut, shellfish, sesame and buckwheat free. I *think* they are using a mix of namaste and Bob's red mill (not positive) so I think they can go to one or the other because Bob's has some facility/equipment cross contaminated warnings on some products. (we don't worry about those, so I am just repeating what I've read)
Bobs is a tree nut cross contamination issue. Not peanut. So the OP should be fine. But you can ask for just Namaste mix for the waffles. That's what they did for me because we avoid bobs red mill mix.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

have allergies that say mind are definitely strange ones
pepper
oats
rye
bunch of veg, some fruit
pork
some nuts
lots of beans

Pop and CR are probably the best about giving you what you need. Yes it takes longer - what I do is write or type a list of his allergies to give to the chefs - so take several copies.

that way they can be sure. One of the reasons it takes so long - is they must wash everything down - just to be on the safe side - before they even start to prepare the food.

then if they make a mistake - like pepper - they have to start over....

you sound like your child has more common allergies so it won't be a big problem.

just remember the lists - also include my full name, where I am staying and if I remember the room number (since this is hand written and must be done after arrival - don't always remember it)

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #12
kiwi2013
Mouseketeer

Just reading through the posts about Pop and food allergies and finding them very helpful....this will be my first time visiting pop and my allergies include peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish.....so if I am reading all posts correctly, there is not a special diets form to fill in like the Disney restaurant's have??
Also, do I go talk to the chef as soon as I check in or at each mealtime order??
Does Pop offer allergen free desserts such as muffins or other tasty treats or will fruit bowls become our limited option choice
kiwi2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi2013 View Post
Just reading through the posts about Pop and food allergies and finding them very helpful....this will be my first time visiting pop and my allergies include peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish.....so if I am reading all posts correctly, there is not a special diets form to fill in like the Disney restaurant's have??
Also, do I go talk to the chef as soon as I check in or at each mealtime order??
Does Pop offer allergen free desserts such as muffins or other tasty treats or will fruit bowls become our limited option choice
The special diets form asks where you are staying. It won't hurt anything to contact special diets, but may not actually change anything either. You say your allergies include peanuts, tree nuts and shellfish, are there others? If it's just those three you should not anticipate any trouble.

You just need to talk to the chef at each meal. As for desserts, that really may be the only thing you should contact special diets for- to request that they try to stock something. They may be able to get in some babycakes items for you if you plan to eat dessert there a lot. We didn't notice any desserts DS could have while we were there but didn't really look either. Depending on how careful you are, some of the regular desserts may be free of your allergens but have cross contamination or factory/bakery warnings.

I like vacations.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
pampam
DIS Veteran

We stayed at Pop in Jan/Feb for 3 1/2 weeks and ate wonderfully the whole time. Like others have said, mention allergies when you get up to the front to order. They will call for a chef. We had cards printed up which listed the forbidden foods, as well as some ideas of foods we can eat. The Chef would take the card, talk to us about what we would like, and in a short time, have something delicious prepared for us. They gave us a buzzer. We would look around the shop, or go to the guest services for something or whatever. When the buzzer went off we would to go and meet the chef to pick up our food when it was ready. In many ways we ate better than we do at home. It was a truly great experience.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #15
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

For Bob's and tree nuts, a lot of people are ok with the level of cross contamination risk. You have to really understand your sensitivity. They have strict protocols in place. I know that people really sensitive to specific nuts should avoid it but it's not a risk for all tree nuts and not for people who aren't that sensitive.

We don't avoid all tree nuts so Bob's is safe for us. With our level of sensitivity, from what I understand of Bob's protocols even if they did process the nuts we do avoid I'd still eat the Bob's.

Of course Namaste tastes a lot better so I can see asking for just the Namaste anyway.

Pop IMO has the best food court of all of the resorts, from both an allergy and non-allergy perspective.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
clanmcculloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: