Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #16
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoeticMoe View Post
Great! Thanks again for all the tips. Now we have to play the waiting game...

Oh, what times does the programming in the Edge end at night?
Most nights they went till 12:00. There were a couple of nights that my son was there till 1:00.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #17
PoeticMoe
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
Way to late in my opinion! Usually around 1:00 am they had things scheduled until.
Wow, that is late! My DS-13 is really going to think he's something staying out that late. Lol
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #18
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

DS14 liked going to the Edge on the Fantasy last month more than the Vibe for the same reason your son didn't like the other ship's age grouping. The kids in the Vibe were 16-17 and he didn't connect with them. He has enjoyed the Edge for the last four years on the Fantasy, Magic & Wonder.

The Edge on the Dream/Fantasy is different than the Magic/Wonder. The classics have it on deck 2 instead of in a stack with windows. Still lots of computers, couches to watch movies on a big screen TV as well as play Wii games, and tables for crafts. Oh, and the Magic has the ship simulator in the Edge.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 PM   #19
maryliz
The Whoosh Fairy RULEs, the Bloat Fairy DROOLs!
(the tag fairy rules, too!)

Anyone have experience with their kids missing the first night "meet and greet" in Edge or Vibe because they have late-dinner seating? I want the kids with us at dinner that first night ... but it appears that the fun stuff starts at 9 or 9:30 - we'll still be in the MDR.

DD will be 16 on our cruise this summer, and will have 2 best friends on the ship with her -- so if they miss a few things that first night, no biggie because they will likely hang together anyway. But DS will be 13 so he will be by himself in Edge. I just worry that if he misses that first night or is late because of dinner, he's going to miss out making the friends for the week. He's a very sociable kid ... but I don't know how comfortable he will be "walking in in the middle of activities and trying to find a group to join". Do the CM's try and remedy situations like this?

We don't have experience with the clubs because we've only done a 4 night Dream cruise ... DD didn't go to Edge at all, and DS only went to the kids club twice with a friend that was travelling with us. Neither one minded not doing clubs because there wasn't much time. But on our 7 day Eastern, there are 3 full sea days so I just want them to have fun !

TIA for any advice !

Me DH DD DS
maryliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryliz View Post
Anyone have experience with their kids missing the first night "meet and greet" in Edge or Vibe because they have late-dinner seating? I want the kids with us at dinner that first night ... but it appears that the fun stuff starts at 9 or 9:30 - we'll still be in the MDR.

DD will be 16 on our cruise this summer, and will have 2 best friends on the ship with her -- so if they miss a few things that first night, no biggie because they will likely hang together anyway. But DS will be 13 so he will be by himself in Edge. I just worry that if he misses that first night or is late because of dinner, he's going to miss out making the friends for the week. He's a very sociable kid ... but I don't know how comfortable he will be "walking in in the middle of activities and trying to find a group to join". Do the CM's try and remedy situations like this?

We don't have experience with the clubs because we've only done a 4 night Dream cruise ... DD didn't go to Edge at all, and DS only went to the kids club twice with a friend that was travelling with us. Neither one minded not doing clubs because there wasn't much time. But on our 7 day Eastern, there are 3 full sea days so I just want them to have fun !

TIA for any advice !
The main activity where they talk about what they are going to do during the week usually doesn't happen until 10-10:15. You should be done by dinner by then or close to it. I think our son quickly ate his dessert and then left.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #21
lbgraves

On our cruise DS14 went to both the Edge & Vibe first night meetings. The Edge was at 9:30 and the Vibe was at 10:30.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011

Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM   #22
Disneybreak
Earning My Ears

We just got off the Dream 3 night cruise on Sunday. I had 2 tweens (11 and 13). They did not get a chance to connect with the kids and by the last night felt too "out of it" to participate. By then all the kids knew each other well. I had read lots of posts and planned our cruise in hopes that the boys would thrive in the Edge, but in the end there wasn't anything I would have done differently and I think for us 3 days was just too short of a cruise to make good use of the Edge.

This was our first Disney cruise and we wanted to take full advantage of the ship. I wanted the boys to see all the dining rooms and the shows. The night time planned activites started at 9pm which conflicted with the shows. The boys headed to the Edge after the shows but they ended up walking around the ship together and playing mini-golf, basketball, shuffle board, and got more to eat at Flos cafe. I don't think they felt comfortable joining in late but also they had each other to hang out with. If they did not have each other, there might have been more of a reason to stay. They had fun exploring the ship and it wasn't until the last night that they really wanted to hang out in the Edge but by then it was too late for them.

We did not have a sea day so they never even had an opportunity to try it during the day. We were busy until dinner both days. I think on a 4 day cruise you'll have more opportunities to take advantage of the Edge. And I completely agree with the members who suggested early dining for tweens. The tween aquaduck event started at 8pm and the other 2 nights meet and greet and ghost voyages started at 9pm.
Disneybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
bmahokie
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
The main activity where they talk about what they are going to do during the week usually doesn't happen until 10-10:15. You should be done by dinner by then or close to it. I think our son quickly ate his dessert and then left.
Ditto - they knows lots of people have 2nd seating, and they wait (a reasonable time) for late diners to get there. I also ditto what everyone else has been saying - my then 12 and next year then 13 year-old LOVED the Edge. I think he mostly liked the freedom he was allowed (with some pretty strict rules with severe consequences from us if broken) and the way the CM's really tried to keep everyone active. If that's what they wanted - my son said some kids just wanted to chill, and that was OK as well if that's what they wanted.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #24
HashHoney
Mouseketeer

My son was 11 when we were on the Dream. He loved the Edge! He was with us pretty much only for meals. He'd stay until it closed at 1am. He even ditched us on Castaway Cay to go with the group from the Edge. lol He's a little upset he'll be too old for it when we finally make it back on a Disney cruise.

Me DH DS - 16 at sailing DD - 13 DS - 10

Growing up - too many to count
9/1995 - WDW Honeymoon
6/2005 - WDW - Kids' first time
2/2011 - Our first cruise on the Dream
HashHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM   #25
maryliz

Thanks ! I think I'll mention to the servers at dinner that the teens want to get to the clubs that first night, and maybe they can rush their meals a bit. We are an extended family travelling together so waiting on other tablemates will not be an issue.

So I have to ask ... what about my 13 yr old returning from the clubs at 1 AM by himself? I never thought about it until I read this thread. DD's best friends are in the stateroom next to us, so I don't worry so much knowing the 3 will be together coming back to the room. But my 13 yr old coming back so late??? Is this just "normal" on the ship and I have to let him be a bit grown up? Does he take a wave phone with him every time and we just keep the other one on us?

Guess I can't really use the rule "be home by the time the streetlights come on" !

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #26
DeniseMarie526
Whenever you pack your bags, never forget the pixie dust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryliz
Guess I can't really use the rule "be home by the time the streetlights come on" !
Haha, that is our house rule too....lol
Old 04-19-2013, 07:14 AM   #27
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Our son carried a wave phone with him and would text us to check in. The Edge always closed right at the close time listed and he would be back to the room within a couple of minutes. Even though it was really weird to have my 11 year old coming back to the room when I was already in my pj's we felt comfortable and he did a great job.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #28
lbgraves

DS keeps a wave phone and texts before he leaves the club, and is back to the room between minutes. When DCL had pagers, he would ask the CM to send us a page before he left.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
maryliz

Cool ... I didnt know that the Wave phones could text ! Our kids were with us almost the whole time on our 4 night (other than High Tea at Palo on sea day), so I think we only used the phone once.

Me DH DD DS
Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #30
trish.
Mouseketeer

My son was 11 on our cruise with DCL on the Fantasy. As some others have mentioned, he was literally in the club all day except for dinner and then he would sometimes skip dinner to get out of there faster. He spent Castaway day with them too. He would get "home" about 1am, which seemed crazy in theory, but was actually fine. One of the parents always had a wave phone and our son always had a wave phone. He checked in every once in a while or we'd ask if he wanted to join us for a show and he made him text us when he left the club at night so we knew when to expect him to walk in the door.

For a kid who doesn't have much (read zero) freedom to run around back home, he really enjoyed the freedom and getting to be out with friends. It was weird to occasionally run into him with his friends out on deck or getting ice cream.

He just loved the Edge!

Now my daughter, who was 8 and in the lab, was another story! Our friends and family tease us about our pictures from the cruise. Our daughter is with us in every picture and we have almost zero pictures of or with our son. haha.
trish. is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: