Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #31
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,962

Could have been concierge. The kids we saw told no had parents with them and when I asked about it I was told absolutely not because the cruise was full.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #32
west&east
DIS Veteran
 
west&east's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 946

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Could have been concierge. The kids we saw told no had parents with them and when I asked about it I was told absolutely not because the cruise was full.
Just to be clear, the concierge staff suggested it was an option, but it was the Vibe staff that granted it. I don't think they bent the rules because we were concierge.
__________________
Karen in Charlotte, NC

My Path Unwinding Blog: Traveling Through Life Disney Style

Twitter: @kksnc

AKL CL January 2009; WL CL December 2009; Beach Club CL Lagoon View December 2010;
Disney Cruise Line Magic Mediterranean Cruise August 2011; Beach Club CL Deluxe December 2011; Beach Club Food and Wine Birthday trip October 2012; Beach Club CL January 2013; Disney Fantasy Easter Cruise 2013 Concierge Cat V; Boardwalk Inn Club Level/ Waldorf Astoria June 2013; F& W October 2013; Beach Club CL New Years Eve! Fantasy April 12, 2014; Adventures by Disney: Central Europe! July 2014!!!

Next Up: WDW January 2015, Disney Fantasy (Eastern) April 4, 2015; Disney Dream Double Dip June 26, 2015
west&east is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #33
tamlynnk
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by west&east View Post

I think it varies from cruise to cruise. Concierge staff told my DD that it was possible to sign a waiver and we went with her to Vibe. They did ask her when she turns 14 (May). We heard them turn another kid away who was a younger 13 and who did not have a parent there to sign the waiver. I think it also helped that we had already gone to Edge (had the sticker on the KTTW card to show it) so she could say she had checked it out. They issued her a Vibe card and told her to get an Edge sticker so she could do both. Turns out she never got a new Edge sticker but it wasn't a problem.
I emailed Disney Cruise line and was told that it would be up to the counselors on our cruise to allow our 13 year old into the Vibe with her sister. Even though she will be 14 in 5 weeks from the date of our cruise. So we have to wait.
tamlynnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #34
jbrock2013
Earning My Ears
 
jbrock2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: FL
Posts: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Hi! My 14 year old nephew will be sailing on his first Disney cruise on the Dream. Can anyone tell him what to expect? Do they have organized activities? Do they have any kind of a meet and greet activity? I would also like to know if there is any kind of supervision? Thank you!
Wanted to chime in as well....my son at the time was 15, he loved it! The counselors kept them busy w great activities he had a great time. The club closed at 2a.m. & i was fine w/ him being out that late. All of the kids hung out as a group it was a big group so i felt it wasn't harmful. He was always up for breakfast w the fam then off he went until dinner. I left a sticky note of what time he had to b ready for dinner & he met up w us at the restaurant or room. Aftr dinner he was back at Vibe. On CC they do have their own excursion which was $25 they snorkeled, swam, biked, kayaked, played v-ball ate lunch together (it was almost the whole day) aftr that they all went back to ship together & hung out. He's wanted to go back on a cruise esp Disney(to my surprise, i thought it was geared towards lil kids). He'll b 18 in Oct 2013 & graduating c/o13-14 so for an early bday/grad gift we're going on Dream in Sept 13 so he can enjoy Vibe 1 last time - he doesn't know yet. My daughter will get to exp Vibe this time. I know they will enjoy it.
jbrock2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #35
lovefromkatie
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30

Hello! I may be a little late for this, but last summer my two best friends and I got to cruise together. We're all 16 y/o and we had the time of our life at Vibe! We were on the Dream. It was honestly one of the best things we ever did together as friends. We still talk to the people we met on vacation, and it's been over eight months since our cruise. What I did notice, at least on my cruise, was that everyone would leave Vibe at 1 am-ish and we'd either split off into the groups of friends that had formed and walk aimlessly around the ship (being quiet of course. ) or everyone would go to D lounge and hang out for another hour or so. I would say that you must go to ice-breakers or at least go the first night. That's when you start to learn named and friend groups form. If you miss the first night, joining in with everyone later on in the cruise seemed to be a little awkward.

Hope this helped!
lovefromkatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 AM   #36
Silstone
Mouseketeer
 
Silstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aiken, Sc
Posts: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by keryia View Post
Last year we took ous son on the Fantasy and we dragged him to vibe. At dinner he announced that Vibe was open until 2 am and not to wait up. After that we saw him for breakfast and dinner and any trip but that was about it. They had kids in there who where 17 and they had just as much fun as the 14 year olds. After this trip he basically told us he would love to go on a disney cruise every year until he is too old for Vibe. So we're planning on doing just that. And it was great not just for him but for us as well.

Liana
Wondering if disney provided the vibe kids some special pixie dust? We cruised spring break, with our 15yo DS kicking and screaming, and at the end his experience was EXACTLY the same. Word for word!
Silstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #37
Never to old
DIS Veteran
 
Never to old's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovefromkatie View Post
Hello! I may be a little late for this, but last summer my two best friends and I got to cruise together. We're all 16 y/o and we had the time of our life at Vibe! We were on the Dream. It was honestly one of the best things we ever did together as friends. We still talk to the people we met on vacation, and it's been over eight months since our cruise. What I did notice, at least on my cruise, was that everyone would leave Vibe at 1 am-ish and we'd either split off into the groups of friends that had formed and walk aimlessly around the ship (being quiet of course. ) or everyone would go to D lounge and hang out for another hour or so. I would say that you must go to ice-breakers or at least go the first night. That's when you start to learn named and friend groups form. If you miss the first night, joining in with everyone later on in the cruise seemed to be a little awkward.

Hope this helped!
Thanks loved hearing your perspective. I will definitely remind my nephew to go the first night
__________________
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #38
Cotton Family
Earning My Ears
 
Cotton Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25

I was wanting to know if shutters will have pictures of my 14year old sons activities while he is away from us for most of the trip. I'd like to get the shutters book and was hoping to have all of the family in the book! I will also have my 4 year old in a different club and was hoping the same thing with the pictures. I'm sure my kids will both enjoy the clubs and I don't mind seeing them only at breakfast and dinner, but I'd like the pictures!
__________________
Cotton Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #39
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Family View Post
I was wanting to know if shutters will have pictures of my 14year old sons activities while he is away from us for most of the trip. I'd like to get the shutters book and was hoping to have all of the family in the book! I will also have my 4 year old in a different club and was hoping the same thing with the pictures. I'm sure my kids will both enjoy the clubs and I don't mind seeing them only at breakfast and dinner, but I'd like the pictures!
Shutters does not take pictures in the clubs. There use to be a picture frame craft done in the club back in 2003 and Daisy came and took individual pictures with the kids to use with the frame. That is the only time we have ever gotten a picture of the kids in the clubs in 10 cruises [1 3-nt, 1 15-nt, and 8 7-nt]. DS has taken his own camera in the Edge the past few years and gotten some cute pics. The characters show up and play games with the kids there and pose for pictures, but no photog goes with them. The only pictures taken in the younger clubs are the group & individual action shots used in the final kid show video.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
Cotton Family
Earning My Ears
 
Cotton Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

Shutters does not take pictures in the clubs. There use to be a picture frame craft done in the club back in 2003 and Daisy came and took individual pictures with the kids to use with the frame. That is the only time we have ever gotten a picture of the kids in the clubs in 10 cruises [1 3-nt, 1 15-nt, and 8 7-nt]. DS has taken his own camera in the Edge the past few years and gotten some cute pics. The characters show up and play games with the kids there and pose for pictures, but no photog goes with them. The only pictures taken in the younger clubs are the group & individual action shots used in the final kid show video.
Thank you Ibgraves for the quick response! And it's great to know my son will be able to take his own camera and get pictures of what he wants and hopefully he get some with himself too!
__________________
Cotton Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
linkandclover
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 467

Last summer we let our 15 year old come and go as he pleased. He spent most of his time at vibe or with kids he met there. We gave him a curfew of 3 or 4 am depending on what plans we had for the next day. (Even grounded him for coming in late). He stayed out of trouble but had other friends who had no curfew and their own room. This year my son is 16 and bringing a friend so they will share a room together. The rules are in place that we meet for dinner and excursions. I want him to be independent and be responsible for himself after all he is eligible to drive a car and if I can't trust him in a confined space how can I trust him behind a steering wheel.
linkandclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!
 
lbgraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 48,962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotton Family View Post
Thank you Ibgraves for the quick response! And it's great to know my son will be able to take his own camera and get pictures of what he wants and hopefully he get some with himself too!
The characters have a friend accompany them and they will be happy to take a picture of the kids with their own camera.
__________________
Lisa

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013



DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:35 PM   #43
Cotton Family
Earning My Ears
 
Cotton Family's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post

The characters have a friend accompany them and they will be happy to take a picture of the kids with their own camera.
Ibgraves- you have made my day, thanks for the great news! My son is super excited, even with 398 days left! Thank you!
__________________
Cotton Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #44
lovefromkatie
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Thanks loved hearing your perspective. I will definitely remind my nephew to go the first night
No problem! We were a party of six, three of us attending vibe. We had so much fun we convinced our parents to re-book! Sailing away on August 24th on the Fantasy!
lovefromkatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #45
Julencamsmom
Earning My Ears
 
Julencamsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silstone View Post

Wondering if disney provided the vibe kids some special pixie dust? We cruised spring break, with our 15yo DS kicking and screaming, and at the end his experience was EXACTLY the same. Word for word!
Ditto. Our 15 yo DD only wants to go on Disney Cruises for that very reason.
Julencamsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.