Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #46
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

Another good site for information is www.vestibular.org. It has resources for patients with dizziness, like articles and even a way to find healthcare providers who specialize in vertigo and vestibular problems.

Mal de barquement can last from weeks to (rarely) years. The only thing I would add to what previous posters have said is that there seems to be a link to dehydration. People who get dehydrated tend to be more likely get it. But then again, maybe they are dehydrated because of feeling ill! As far as treatment: Drink plenty of fluids, especially light electrolytes (think Pedialyte or Vitamin Water as opposed to sports drinks). Bonine is great to control symptoms. Limit caffeine, salt and sugar because this prolongs duration of symptoms.

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:44 PM   #47
LoriABil
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disjest8 View Post
I usually get the land leg syndrome for a few days to a few weeks each time we cruise. Unfortunately on our last cruise, I got terrible bed spinning vertigo the last night and have had it since....5 weeks and 4 days! I'm having some additional tests done next week, but my doctor is relatively confident that it's a type of vertigo due to re-positioning of particles in the inner ear. Our last day and night were pretty choppy and she thinks that may have triggered it. The link below tells more about it.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vertigo/DS00534

The good news is that simple physical therapy can frequently provide relief. I have my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow, so I'll try to post an update this weekend.

While the vertigo is definitely an irritant, it won't stop me from cruising. I'm booked on an 8 day on the Magic on May 10th. Call me crazy.
I hope you get a good therapist! This is what I specialize in! If your dizziness is from "particles" in the inner ear, PT should help. Don't give up, though. Sometimes if it has been going on for a while, I find patients need 2 or 3 times to resolve. But they always feel better after that 1st treatment!

*Meaning, take everything I say with a grain of salt and a lot of tequila

LoriABil is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #48
NaplesFLMom
Earning My Ears

Lightbulb Epley maneuver

I work in a physical therapy office and they do the epley maneuver for people with symptoms of vertigo and this seasickness feeling. Call one locally and ask if they do this. Sometimes it can be corrected in one visit. Some have tried the YouTube version with success also. Don't continue to suffer. Call!

Good luck all! Hopefully I won't get it on my disney wonder cruise next week April 27th
NaplesFLMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #49
CT Mom of 3
Mouseketeer

Oh gosh - add me to the list! Just got off the Wonder yesterday and I am rockin and rollin all over the place. After our cruise on the Fantasy in July, I had it for 6 weeks. I sure hope it doesn't last as long this time around.

I don't get seasick or have ear infections. Guess my body just wants to be back onboard!

CT Mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #50
mjf
Mouseketeer

We are off the Fantasy now 5 weeks and I am still rocking and swaying. People think I'm nuts!

I am not dizzy or nauseous but it feels like the ground is moving beneath me up and down or side to side depending on if I'm standing or sitting. I would classify it as disturbing and bothersome but not debilitating. Although I am starting to stress on the fact that it may not go away. It seems to go away when driving and I'm fine running outside, but I do feel it when playing sports in an enclosed area (soccer dome).

I was not sea sick on board at all, although others in our group were sick during the cruise with the rough seas we had. I did not take any sort of sea sickness meds befor or after. I haven't gone to the doctor yet as I really thought it would just go away.

I loved our cruise and want to go again but not sure if I will if this doesn't stop soon

Mar13 - DCL-Fantasy
Nov12 - CBR(FD)
Mar12 - POFQ(FD),SSR
Mar11 - DCL-Dream, AKV
Mar10 - CBR/AKV
Mar09 - BCV
Nov09, Mar08, Nov08, Dec07 (SSR)
Feb07 - OKW, HGVC
Feb06 - OKW, RitzCarleton OGL, Homewood Suites
Feb05 - Country Inn&Suites LBV, MysticDunes
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #51
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriABil View Post
I hope you get a good therapist! This is what I specialize in! If your dizziness is from "particles" in the inner ear, PT should help. Don't give up, though. Sometimes if it has been going on for a while, I find patients need 2 or 3 times to resolve. But they always feel better after that 1st treatment!
Thank you for the encouragement!!! I really liked my therapist, but I'm feeling pretty rotten this evening. However, I'm still hopeful it will be better tomorrow.

Mar 2013 - DCL Wonder and DCL Dream/May 2013 - DCL Magic
Mar 2012 - Freedom of the Seas/Sep 2012 - BLT, BCV,Oasis of the Seas
Mar 2011 - OKW,Carnival Dream
Feb 2010 - Pop Century and Freedom of the Seas
Mar 2009 - Independence of the Seas/Sep 2009 - BCV,Carnival Legend
Feb 2008 - Navigator of the Seas/Sep 2008 - Pop Century and DCL Wonder
Mar 2007 - SSR,DCL Wonder/Sep 2007 - AKV & DCL Magic Western/Nov 2007 - Shades of Green
Apr 2006 - Orbit One/Nov 2006 - BCV,BWV,DCL Wonder
Jan 2005 - Cypress Pointe Grand Villas/Sep 2005 - BCV,OKW,DCL Wonder
disjest8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM   #52
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesFLMom View Post
I work in a physical therapy office and they do the epley maneuver for people with symptoms of vertigo and this seasickness feeling. Call one locally and ask if they do this. Sometimes it can be corrected in one visit. Some have tried the YouTube version with success also. Don't continue to suffer. Call!

Good luck all! Hopefully I won't get it on my disney wonder cruise next week April 27th
I've tried the home version of the Epley a couple of times and it seems to have helped a tiny bit. The therapist tried a different maneuver today, so maybe it will be a bit more effective. I'm determined to get over it somehow. If nothing else, maybe that cruise in May will fix it.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Mar 2007 - SSR,DCL Wonder/Sep 2007 - AKV & DCL Magic Western/Nov 2007 - Shades of Green
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #53
disjest8
Proud Parent of 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriABil View Post
Where are you in Texas? Any chance you're in San Antonio or Austin?

Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #54
omalley1118
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post
The best relief for the post cruise wobblies is Tower of Terror every hour for a couple of days. I guess the up/down counteracts the port/starboard motion/feeling.
As I am a big chicken...I'll just have to put up with the dizziness.....
Old 04-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #55
tluther5406
Mouseketeer

I had vertigo that lasted for weeks/months for my first three cruises. The first two cruises were during tropical storms so I blamed the extreme rocking. The third cruise had calm seas so I realized it was just me. My next two cruises were each over a week unlike the first three that were long weekends. I did not suffer from vertigo on the last two. I am now wondering if my body didn't have enough time to adjust on the shorter cruises causing the vertigo once off the ship. I just hope the vertigo doesn't return after our weeklong Eastern Caribbean cruise in June. Good luck to all of you because I definitely understand how brutal the vertigo can be as you bounce off the walls as you walk around your house and you sway in the shower feeling as if you just drank an entire bottle of an adult beverage.
tluther5406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #56
runwad
Can someone tell me how to play SPUD?

I gotta tell you people this thread is scaring me. Now like I said up thread I did experience this vertigo but just took bonnine for about 4 days after our cruise and was fine. But that was 4 years ago. About 2 months ago I rode in the back seat of a car that was going up and down and around for an hour ride and I was SOOO car sick. I know I get car sick but honestly have not experienced it in about 20 years due to being in the front as an adult so I forgot. Any way for about a week I had that vertigo feeling. Everyone kept telling me to go to a doctor but I really thought it was due to getting car sick. Now I'm wondering if the cruise will affect me so much more now that I'm a little older and seem to be changing :-(
runwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #57
Kendal
DIS Veteran

On our first cruise was the worst our second cruise we got off the ship and went straight to sea world we was active all day with some minor vertigo and was in the car for 16 hours the next day by te time we were home we all three seemed to be fine I wonder if its because we were very active the day we left the ship?? But our first cruise it lasted for about a week when we left that cruise we set in the airport or 10houra
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #58
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

I always feel dizzy for days, sometimes a few weeks after getting off a cruise ship. This past cruise (Fantasy in January) I used my nasal rinse every night (the kind with the bottle and the little salt packets). I was still rocking for a few days afterwards, but the spells were MUCH less frequent and it only lasted for a few days. Not sure if that was a coincidence or not, but I thought I'd throw that out there.
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #59
Kendal
DIS Veteran

I also just read that a worker on a ship recomends a vigorous workout the day prior to getting off of the ship tends to help and constant moveing around after so I would say the day we walked around sea world helped us?? I'm no expert but just letting you know what I read
Kendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #60
kenly777
Mouseketeer

Replying to a very old thread, but I have been suffering with this for eight months! I was wondering if others still had symptoms? I have some days where it's not so bad, but it really seems to get worse when a storm is coming.

How did PT work for the people who suffer with it long term?

Many years of staying off site before 1990, 1990 CBR Honeymoon, 1999 CSR, 2005 Rental House, 2008 SS, 2010 Rental House, 2012 POR, 2013 OKW/BCV, 2014 BWV
kenly777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: