Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Is there another free beach at Nassau besides cabbage beach

Hi. Three days ago moved our cruise from September 8 to May 5th. I know a super last minute change. Work related. I was pleasantly surprised to get decent boarding time 100pm, and we still got a reservation at Palo. Anyway the last time we were at Cabbage beach the Waves were really huge and the undertow was insane. I couldn't let my children near the water. I was just wondering if there is a beach inside the bay area that is open to the public.
Ofinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #2
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Cable Beach.
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Thanks. Can you take a taxi there?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Jrsy Boy
DIS Veteran
You can tell I'm married, because a lady tells me to do something and I just do it unquestioningly

You can walk to Western Esplanade (or Junkanoo) Beach from the port.
Jrsy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

My friends had a good time at Junkanoo last cruise in Feb/Mar. It was the only beach they could find beach volleyball at on that cruise. Surprisingly not much beach volleyball on St Maar or St Thom. As a public beach within walking distance of the ships, it may be packed and a wild party. If that's what you are looking for, you will probably enjoy it. PRobably not one of your quieter options...

*...still like Blue Lagoon for happening beaches and deserted beaches and hammocks, palm trees and conch fritters, and incredible dolphins and sea lions...*

TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
2prettygirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Hi. Three days ago moved our cruise from September 8 to May 5th. I know a super last minute change. Work related. I was pleasantly surprised to get decent boarding time 100pm, and we still got a reservation at Palo. Anyway the last time we were at Cabbage beach the Waves were really huge and the undertow was insane. I couldn't let my children near the water. I was just wondering if there is a beach inside the bay area that is open to the public.
Not sure what the name of the beach was but we accessed a public beach in walking distance from the port. You will walk through a building with vendors, basically customs, and then you will pass by the straw market and Senor Frogs and you will arrive at the beach in about 10 minutes. It was clean and was a nice experience. There is a vendor booth that will sell drinks and food.
2prettygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Cabbage Beach

I have heard that Cabbage beach is a dangerous beach.

Sounds like Junkanoo may be the one the poster above is referring to, since my friends went to the Straw Market while they were enroute to the beach (or vice versa)
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #8
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
My friends had a good time at Junkanoo last cruise in Feb/Mar. It was the only beach they could find beach volleyball at on that cruise. Surprisingly not much beach volleyball on St Maar or St Thom. As a public beach within walking distance of the ships, it may be packed and a wild party. If that's what you are looking for, you will probably enjoy it. PRobably not one of your quieter options...

*...still like Blue Lagoon for happening beaches and deserted beaches and hammocks, palm trees and conch fritters, and incredible dolphins and sea lions...*

This looks perfect
Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
I have heard that Cabbage beach is a dangerous beach.

Sounds like Junkanoo may be the one the poster above is referring to, since my friends went to the Straw Market while they were enroute to the beach (or vice versa)
The first time we were there the surf was pretty tame. The second time as soon as we got to beach the locals ran up to me and told me not to let my 9 and 10 year old near the water because of the undertow. A lot of adults were swimming, but a lot of them had trouble getting in and out of the water because it was so difficult to stand up without getting drug under. Several people really got knocked around including myself. I don't know how often the waves are like this, but I have no desire to go back. My dh is a avid surfer and even he was having trouble.

Junkanoo sounds great.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
JustUs275
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
The first time we were there the surf was pretty tame. The second time as soon as we got to beach the locals ran up to me and told me not to let my 9 and 10 year old near the water because of the undertow. A lot of adults were swimming, but a lot of them had trouble getting in and out of the water because it was so difficult to stand up without getting drug under. Several people really got knocked around including myself. I don't know how often the waves are like this, but I have no desire to go back. My dh is a avid surfer and even he was having trouble.

Junkanoo sounds great.
Hi - we are on the same cruise! We plan to walk to Junkanoo Beach too. It sounds like a doable walk for us, since we'll have DGD1 in a stroller and DGD6 walking with us. See you there!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: