Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
seasidespences
Mouseketeer
 
seasidespences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 285

When can we start eating?

My family really wants to start their first day (check-in day) at Disney with a breakfast at Boma. We will be on the dining plan and will arrive around 8am or so and plan to do online check in...but, do we have to "physically" check in at our resort and get all of our "stuff/papers/cards" before we can eat a meal on our dining plan?? How does this work? Assuming we arrive between 8-8:30am...what time do you think is reasonable to
make the ADR?
seasidespences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #2
lovedworld
Mouseketeer
 
lovedworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 415

Even if you check in on-line you still need to go to your resort so you can get your cards. All of your dining credits will be attached to those cards. So if you want to use your dining plan you need to have the cards. These cards will also be your room key and you passes to get into the parks.
lovedworld is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 04-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #3
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!
 
It'sWDW4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Way too far away from "home"
Posts: 3,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
My family really wants to start their first day (check-in day) at Disney with a breakfast at Boma. We will be on the dining plan and will arrive around 8am or so and plan to do online check in...but, do we have to "physically" check in at our resort and get all of our "stuff/papers/cards" before we can eat a meal on our dining plan?? How does this work? Assuming we arrive between 8-8:30am...what time do you think is reasonable to
make the ADR?
Many questions: Are you arriving at MCO or at the resort between 8-8:30? Will you have your own car or using Disney transportation? Are you staying at AKL?

In order to access your dining credits, you'll need your KTTW card which you can only get when you physically check in to your resort. I've had check-ins go quickly - in and done in like 15 minutes - and I've been stuck waiting seemingly forever - finally done in about 45 minutes - so give yourself time for that. If you're using Disney transportation, give yourself at least an hour to go from resort to resort.
__________________

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Ro Z
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salisbury, MA
Posts: 2,551

Wow arriving at 8ám! Are you driving? We arrived at 9:30 once (flying) and needed a nap. Luckily our room was ready. Hope you are staying at AKL that will make things easier!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Ro Z
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Salisbury, MA
Posts: 2,551

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
Many questions: Are you arriving at MCO or at the resort between 8-8:30? Will you have your own car or using Disney transportation? Are you staying at AKL?

In order to access your dining credits, you'll need your KTTW card which you can only get when you physically check in to your resort. I've had check-ins go quickly - in and done in like 15 minutes - and I've been stuck waiting seemingly forever - finally done in about 45 minutes - so give yourself time for that. If you're using Disney transportation, give yourself at least an hour to go from resort to resort.
Remember you can't go resort to resort directly. Depending on where you are staying you will have to go to a park. In this case AK, for Boma, or DTD to get to another resort.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran
 
WizardLarz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Louis,MO
Posts: 1,187

If you're staying at AKL then Checking In and getting your cards before your breakfast should be no problem and at 7:30ish in the morning should not take to long. If you are staying at a different Resort and want to use the DDP for the Boma meal then you might want to see about moving back your ressie to 8:30-9o'clock. Of course your other option is to just do the meal Out of Pocket.
__________________

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922


WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
seasidespences
Mouseketeer
 
seasidespences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 285

Ok...looks like I forgot to include some important info...
We are driving in, staying at CSR...we will actually arrive in Orlando the night before and are staying at a hotel in downtown Orlando the night before our checkin day. We are early risers so we plan to be at CSR by 8:30am. We will most likely use our own transportation for much of our vacation...seems that it will be a more efficient use of our time rather than allotting at least one hour for the Disney bus/transport system.
Hopefully this helps provide more info...thanks in advance to everyone willing to give their very helpful advice!
seasidespences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
DisneyMom5
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyMom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 4,568

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
Ok...looks like I forgot to include some important info...
We are driving in, staying at CSR...we will actually arrive in Orlando the night before and are staying at a hotel in downtown Orlando the night before our checkin day. We are early risers so we plan to be at CSR by 8:30am. We will most likely use our own transportation for much of our vacation...seems that it will be a more efficient use of our time rather than allotting at least one hour for the Disney bus/transport system.
Hopefully this helps provide more info...thanks in advance to everyone willing to give their very helpful advice!
You should be able to do it just fine, but I would go with a "brunch" time, like 10 or so. That way, if check in takes a long time, you can still get there on time. Use an online map to figure out drive time, and add on some time for unseen problems. Happy Planning!
DisneyMom5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
seasidespences
Mouseketeer
 
seasidespences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5

You should be able to do it just fine, but I would go with a "brunch" time, like 10 or so. That way, if check in takes a long time, you can still get there on time. Use an online map to figure out drive time, and add on some time for unseen problems. Happy Planning!
Found a 9:45a ADR...hopefully we'll be able to make it happen that day....if not, my backup plan might be that we eat there the morning of our checkout day....we should be able to still use our credits that day right???
seasidespences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #10
redmomof4
I love TIM without a hat!
 
redmomof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
Remember you can't go resort to resort directly. Depending on where you are staying you will have to go to a park. In this case AK, for Boma, or DTD to get to another resort.
Is this new? We went last in 2011 and were able to park at hotels if we had ADRs at their restaurants.

Thanks in advance
__________________
Mommy to three princes (22) (17) (14)
& one princess (11)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
'85 offsite; '99 4n Wonder + 3n offsite; '05 3n Wonder + 5n POP; '07 6n POP + 4n Wonder; '09 Magic 7n Eastern; '11 6n Caribe Royale Villas;
6/13 WDW with 15 family members 8/13 3n Dream just me and Hubby 11/13 5n Western out of Miami on the Magic! (Did I REALLY go 3 times last year!!)

7/14 2n Daytona Beach , 3n Portofino Bay, 4n Yacht Club, I'm looking forward to the new experiences!
redmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
MariDisney
Learned a difficult lesson about eating chocolate in the dark!
Had to admit to eating bird poo to get what she wanted
Fully open=cool. Fully closed=cool. Half way=no can do
 
MariDisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Warrington, PA
Posts: 3,224

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmomof4 View Post
Is this new? We went last in 2011 and were able to park at hotels if we had ADRs at their restaurants.

Thanks in advance
The PP was referring to using WDW transportation. You can't go from resort to resort on the bus without transferring at a park (unless, of course you're going between resorts that share a bus). You can park at a resort to dine their for up to 3 hours.
__________________
Mari...A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow is Just a Dream Away...7/98 Carribean Beach ... 1/03 All Star Movies ...9/03 All Star Music ... 6/04 Port Orleans Riverside Honeymoon ... 1/05 Port Orleans French Quarter ... 1/06 Carribean Beach ...9/06 Pop Century ... 8/07 Port Orleans Riverside...9/08 Port Orleans French Quarter...9/09 Coronado Springs...9/11 Port Orleans Riverside
MariDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #12
seasidespences
Mouseketeer
 
seasidespences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariDisney

The PP was referring to using WDW transportation. You can't go from resort to resort on the bus without transferring at a park (unless, of course you're going between resorts that share a bus). You can park at a resort to dine their for up to 3 hours.
We would probably plan to drive to most places like this...even though we are early risers I'd rather still save a little time and drive ourselves to most ADRs instead of allotting an hour for Disney transport. Are there any resorts or other areas (ex. DTD or Boardwalk) that have limited parking or are hard to get to?
seasidespences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!
 
It'sWDW4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Way too far away from "home"
Posts: 3,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
Ok...looks like I forgot to include some important info...
We are driving in, staying at CSR...we will actually arrive in Orlando the night before and are staying at a hotel in downtown Orlando the night before our checkin day. We are early risers so we plan to be at CSR by 8:30am. We will most likely use our own transportation for much of our vacation...seems that it will be a more efficient use of our time rather than allotting at least one hour for the Disney bus/transport system.
Hopefully this helps provide more info...thanks in advance to everyone willing to give their very helpful advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
Found a 9:45a ADR...hopefully we'll be able to make it happen that day....if not, my backup plan might be that we eat there the morning of our checkout day....we should be able to still use our credits that day right???
Ah, with this info then, yes, you should be fine with a 9:45 breakfast at Boma. Do try to get to CSR a little closer to 8:00 just in case - it sucks to have to rush because something took just a little longer than anticipated. Leave your bags with bell services so they're out of your car and no temptation for someone to break into your car. As long as you can leave CSR for AKL no later than 9:15, you should be fine with a 9:45 at Boma. Enjoy!!
__________________

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
sharonabe
DIS Veteran
 
sharonabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,917

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasidespences View Post
Found a 9:45a ADR...hopefully we'll be able to make it happen that day....if not, my backup plan might be that we eat there the morning of our checkout day....we should be able to still use our credits that day right???
Your credits are good from the time you check in until midnight of the day you check out, so as long as you have credits left, you could use them on checkout day instead.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.