Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
DisneyQueen1320
Mouseketeer

Does this make sense

Should I take my points and use it for a cruise and pay cash for a stay at the AoA? I know a lot of people don't like to use points for a cruise, but everything is included. I was thinking of just booking a hotel package with Disney since I still have to buy tickets and we normally do the DDP.

Has anyone booked a cruise with points, do you feel it's a waste instead of staying at a DVC room.

Thanks in advance
DisneyQueen1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I NEVER use points for the cruise. They charge about 450 points per person for a 7-night cruise. I can rent my points out for $11 or $12 dollar per point. Even when the cruise costs $6000+ it's still better to pay cash!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

There are regular postings about this on the DVC forums, but the (almost) unanimous consensus is that - as noted by the poster above - you are much further ahead by renting out your points and then using the proceeds to pay for your cruise.

I'd normally say use your points for your room stay, but depending on whether there is a smoking deal on your room/ticket package, it may still make sense for you to rent your points out - from what I understand, depending on the resort you own at and what time of year you are looking to book, points will garner you anywhere from $10-13 each.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
DisneyQueen1320
Mouseketeer

I never tried to rent my points. Maybe I can try this instead.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyQueen1320 View Post
Should I take my points and use it for a cruise and pay cash for a stay at the AoA? I know a lot of people don't like to use points for a cruise, but everything is included. I was thinking of just booking a hotel package with Disney since I still have to buy tickets and we normally do the DDP.

Has anyone booked a cruise with points, do you feel it's a waste instead of staying at a DVC room.

Thanks in advance
I don't think using your points is a waste for a cruise when you look at everything you get when you rent your room your only getting just that your room if you have enough points I say go for it renting out your points takes a lot of time checking for people who waste your time.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #6
bobyetman
Earning My Ears

My wife and I have used our points twice on a cruise, most recently on a 15 day WBPC cruise in 2014. We thought the bang for the buck was there, after using our points for WDW for a few years, we wanted to take a break from the parks. But every cruise/ situation is different, we personally don't want to rent our points out, we'd rather use them on ouselves.
WDW - Fall 83, 84, Feb 90, Nov 92, Jun 94, Jun 98, May 99, Dec 2000, Apr 01, Apr 02, Dec 03, Aug 04, Jan/May/Dec 05, Apr 06, Mar/Jul/Nov 07, Apr/Dec 08, Mar, Dec 09, Jun 10, Oct 10, Jan 11, Mar/Nov 12, Nov 13 - DCL - Apr 08 (W), Dec 08 (W), Jun 10 (W), Jan 11 (D) - Apr 12 (F) - Dec 12 (W) Nov 13 (F) - DL - Nov 80, Jun 81, Sep 90, May 98, Apr 11, Dec 12,
bobyetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
DisneyQueen1320
Mouseketeer

Those are some good points about renting them out. I work a lot so I don't know if I have time to deal with it. I love the parks but my husband is really getting tired of doing the same thing.

I just want to go to the parks for a few days. Maybe a nice deal will come out and I can take advantage of it.

I love our hotel stay, but paying for food and tickets can add up. I guess I'm getting DVC fatigue.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Those are some good points about renting them out. I work a lot so I don't know if I have time to deal with it. I love the parks but my husband is really getting tired of doing the same thing.

I just want to go to the parks for a few days. Maybe a nice deal will come out and I can take advantage of it.

I love our hotel stay, but paying for food and tickets can add up. I guess I'm getting DVC fatigue.
Go over to disboards DVC and check out David's rentals. I just used them and it was so simple to rent my points. If you do that and then use the cash for the cruise you will be much further ahead money wise. It was not hard at all.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thanks in advance
We are going on our second cruise with points. For us, the fact that food and entertainment is included makes it a wise choice for us. We are a family of five and our children (13, 10, and 3) do not like 'kid's meals. Therefore, the possibility of choosing anything on the adult menu is a huge plus!

Do what you want to do. There is definitely a strong following on these boards that will tell you that you are being foolish to use them on a cruise but there are what?....over 300,000+ DVC members and only 4000 of them are on this board. And not all 4000 believe that it is not a good decision. There are those of us out there 'quietly' using our points on cruises so not to be flamed by these passionate Disers. All I know is that the members who say its not a good way to spend my points do not have to pay my American Express after a trip to WDW.

Our first cruise was even a better 'deal' because we did not have to fly.

And yes, there will be those who will say rent your points and use the money. That is an extra step that does have some additional risks. I think the DVC members who use their points for cruises do not want to be 'bothered' by this additional risk.

My take on things of course and I have no regrets with our decisions...... I better get a fire hydrant ready though .........
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:42 PM   #10
owensjro
DIS Veteran

Is it a waste to do it? No. Is it the most frugal use of your points? No.

A typical cruise will get you around $6-$7 per point. You can usually rent for around $10-$12 per point.

Renting does take more or your time and there is some risk involved.

That said, I have already gotten much more value out of my points than what I paid for them so any use of them is a savings to me as long as I am getting more than what the annual dues are. I'm a stress-free kind of person so renting just isn't my thing and using points for cruising (or any other non-DVC resort use) is fine by me

It really just depends on whether you can live with the $4-$6 per point difference in value I guess.

Jim
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 1/17/09
Disney Magic 7N Eastern - 12/19/09
Disney Wonder B2B 5N KeyWest/5N DoubleDip - 6/8/10, 6/13/10
Disney Magic 14N TransAtlantic - 5/14/11
Disney Fantasy B2B 7N Eastern/Western - 6/29/13, 7/6/13
Disney Magic 12N Northern Europe - 7/22/15
owensjro is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: