Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 06:16 PM   #61
Marla1106
Mouseketeer

My WDW plans last trip happened when my youngest brother was getting married. He and my SIL had changed the date like 5 times, so I wasn't even thinking of them getting married when I made the plans.

But, when I found out I moved our plans back a day.

I don't think I would change my plans for the birth of a baby. I was all excited for my first niece to be born last week. We didn't even get to see her for 5 days. They had so much going on, with my SIL being sick (different SIL than the wedding.. LOL), the baby keeping them up all night, and then me with my YDS's birthday plans...
Marla1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #62
khaoskat
Mouseketeer

Will weigh in a bit...This is our first trip, money is mainly the results of a really bad car accident last year, and the settlement from it.

That being said. I do understand your sister's desire to have people come visit. But in all honesty after my first child I was so exhausted from laboring for so long, that I really didn't want any visitors, and I was deluged with people (well meaning of course), including my father in law. The first night I was so sick from everything that I was about to be sick/puke and couldn't even get people to leave.

With #2...we did a birth center..I was totally exhausted, because labor started at 10 pm (had been up since about 7 am), and gave birth at 4 am, taken to an OR to be stitched up, and finally back to my birth center suite around 6 am. By the time I got back, when it came time to get breakfast orders, it really was all the nurse could do (after having been up for 24 hours straight) to wake me up to order breakfast. Except for waking up to take care of baby and taking a nice hot bath....I slept...

With #3 == ended up in a C/S....the first two days I was in too much pain, and puking from pain meds and didn't even want my husband around....

So, like some above have said...I wouldn't stress over being there the day/week she gives birth. Honestly, I think she probably wont even remember with everyone else who will be there, constantly. Also, I am sure she would understand that you would be there any other time, except the week you are on vacation and that you will come visit ASAP when you get home.
khaoskat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #63
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

OP, my sister was on vacation when my first son was born. For more than a year, our church choir had planned a concert trip to England -- I was supposed to go too, until I found out I was expecting! She and her husband had planned to go with the choir, then stay an extra week to sight-see. My due date was June 19, she was supposed to be back June 7, so we thought for sure she'd be back by the time he was born. About 3 weeks before my due date my doctor was unhappy with my rising blood pressure and that I was starting to swell, so I was induced 2 weeks early -- two days before my sister was due home. I know she was disappointed that she missed being with me in the hospital and being among the first to hold him, but I knew she couldn't help it! On arrival, she dropped her suitcases at home, got in the car and came to my house. We are still best friends.

So, I have to agree with the others that I would not disappoint my husband and son by postponing a long-awaited trip for an entire year. As my story demonstrates, good intentions don't always work out! Be there as soon as you can and be exceedingly happy for her, lending her a hand in any way you can, but don't put your own plans in second place.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #64
twodogs
Mouseketeer

If your trip is 9 days long, worst case, she delivers the day you leave for WDW. She'll be in the hospital 2-4 days after delivery, depending. So you would be back, again worst case, 5-7 days after they get discharged. But the chances she will deliver ON the day you leave are so slim! But I like to think of worst case, and see if I can live with that outcome. If I can, then anything other than worse case is even better! Good luck in your decision and to your sister on a healthy baby!
twodogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #65
tinkbyday
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, this made me a laugh a little - you are in disguise but gave enough specific details that if people know you, I think they are going to figure out who you are lol

Dec 09 YC CL Jan 09 YC Apr '08 WL and POR Jan '07 BWI Nov '05 Swan Oct '03 CBR
tinkbyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:59 PM   #66
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
OP, my sister was on vacation when my first son was born. For more than a year, our church choir had planned a concert trip to England -- I was supposed to go too, until I found out I was expecting! She and her husband had planned to go with the choir, then stay an extra week to sight-see. My due date was June 19, she was supposed to be back June 7, so we thought for sure she'd be back by the time he was born. About 3 weeks before my due date my doctor was unhappy with my rising blood pressure and that I was starting to swell, so I was induced 2 weeks early -- two days before my sister was due home. I know she was disappointed that she missed being with me in the hospital and being among the first to hold him, but I knew she couldn't help it! On arrival, she dropped her suitcases at home, got in the car and came to my house. We are still best friends.

So, I have to agree with the others that I would not disappoint my husband and son by postponing a long-awaited trip for an entire year. As my story demonstrates, good intentions don't always work out! Be there as soon as you can and be exceedingly happy for her, lending her a hand in any way you can, but don't put your own plans in second place.
Thank you, this made me feel better !
Princess86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:05 PM   #67
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkbyday View Post
I'm sorry, this made me a laugh a little - you are in disguise but gave enough specific details that if people know you, I think they are going to figure out who you are lol
I highly doubt any of my sisters friends know of our vacation plans to wdw. I just didn't want them to see my sig pic and make the connection that my sister is expecting. Kwim?
Old 04-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #68
richkaryn
Mouseketeer

We had a long weekend trip without DS planned for months (well, we do it every year, so actually you could say years) and my sister's baby came 2 weeks early while we were out of town. I offered to leave our trip early and go to hospital but my sister was super understanding and told me just come when we got home. I asked her over and over to make sure she wasn't just saying that and would be upset later if I didn't come right then. She was fine...there wasn't much she could do in hospital anyway and had more than enough help while there. I spent the day she got out of hospital and next day with her instead, and I think she was more grateful for the help then than she would've been if I'd just gone to hospital for birth. If your sister is anything like mine, I am sure she'd be very understanding as well and would appreciate the help you could give her after you got back from your trip.
March 2014- CBR DH, DS6, nephew 17, and myself

December 2014- Disney Dream 3 night Bahamas followed by 2 nights at AOA and MVMCP DH, DS7 (birthday celebration!!), and myself
richkaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #69
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Update in bottom of 1st post!
Old 11-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #70
I Run Long
DIS Veteran

Congratulations to all!! What wonderful news.

Me DH DS18 DD16

I Run Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:43 AM   #71
Princess86
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Run Long View Post
Congratulations to all!! What wonderful news.
Thank you!
Old 11-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #72
freckles04
DIS Veteran

Glad everything worked out! I hope you had a great trip!
freckles04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: